Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th July 2010, 14:58   #91
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

22nd June, 0640 AM: The alarm man was already pottering around by 5 AM as we had set a target to start by 7 AM; Jiggy have mercy. How can you do this?

Hot tea, hot shower, off towards Leh, The Destination of destinations. We were more relaxed now, good roads, all the time in the day and bright sunlight. Diesel stop, next stop for breakfast at Mulbek.

The Scenary was so good, the road OK, that Mulbek flashed by at 0735 AM,KP and Jiggy were restless for breakfast, urgent action was mandated. Saw a cluster of local buses and taxis stopping at wadoo @ 0815 am and 44 kms, a couple of dhabas with a small stream running nearby. Turned out to be a good choice, greta parathas, omlets and chai. Namikal La Pass came, photo stop and near Haniskoat, 82 kms around 10 am the road turned ugly. Lots of graval/ loose sand, winding level roads, couple of taxis and bikers in front, were doing about 30-40 KMPH.

A couple on a bullet we were seeing for some time braked on the loose gravel and fell hard right in front of me, on instincts I down sifted and stopped in time, all of us jumped out and helped the heavily laden bullet upright and helped the man up, I was very worried about the fire hezard with 2 cans of petrol on the side bars which scrapped the road. The man was badly shaken, the lady seemed OK, we ensured they are OK and left, I think the low speed, loose sand and think jackets they were wearing saved the day, the fall was heavy.

Fatula La, 13475 (13523 as per GPS), came at 1030, La Mayuru had a block, road work going on, we were de-toured through the high road which is longer by about 6-7 KMS, not sure, I think there's a low road which joins around the end of Hangroo loops near the river bridge, people who know this section, please clarity.

Stop on the moonscape view point, click a zillion pictures and feeling a little poetic...

It ws windy and cold,
Top of the world makes you bold,
Can't fee Old,
Not afford to unveil my bald,
For fear of catching a cold,
So had them clad.

Leh-docked-dsc_0098.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0100.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0105.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0109.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0112.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0113.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0021.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0044.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0046.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0049.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0057-copy.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0060.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0063.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0067.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0070.jpg

Leh-docked-dsc_0087.jpg

In the next 6 KMs we reach the Hangaroo Loops, in all my research, I haven't seen many pictures or write-ups about these loops, though lots have been written about Ghatta Loops, its an awe-inspiring sight from above, a great photo site for any enthusiast, the roads from here on is very good all the way to Leh too.

After the check post we reach Khatse, good spot for food and get stuck for 30 mts with an army convoy, 57 slow moving trucks, that's the way the cooke crumbles in Ladakh. Around 330 we reach Basgo, a quaint family restaurant on a looping road gave us wonderful Paraths and chai, next stop Nimmu is also an option for lunch. Around 204kms we find the river Indus and Zanskar Sangam, a blue brown merger but great view from top, awesome spot for a photo shoot. We reach magnetic hills.

Stopped to take some photos and found a couple of tourists from UP sitting with their Innova there. For even a skeptic, I dismissed the magnetic stories as a lot of bull, one of the tourists told me to go down on the incline, switch off the engine and release the brakes. For the life of me, I could not believe it, the 2.5 ton car was moving back, up the road on magnetic power, you could have knocked me down with a feather!!!!!! Of all the damn things I have seen in my life, this one takes the cake, I was a convert in no time. Subequently came an Endy from UP with an equally skeptic budiness family, they were also floored with the experience, one young man in the car had his jaw open for 15 minutes after the experience, you could have mistaken him for a croc on a sunny beach.

Another photo stop at Indus valley view, we were speeding on good roads, Kevin shouted stop and I came to a screeching halt behind a dumper. I could not see the point, he said, biker down near that busy and jumped out. I looked around and found a bike on stand and two guys sitting, walked to him. The thunderbird had skidded on the turn, the pillion was sitting with bleeding and aberased hands, jeans torn, lots of lacerations. We pulled out the medicla kit from the car, applied liberal portions of Betadine lition on all broken skin parts and cleaned up all the wounds. By now other 2 bikers on the group had joined them, we advised them to go back to Lae and get medical attention, the guy needed anti-biotics, a TT, cleaning up of wounds, plastering and plenty of rest, tomorrow would be hell for him with swollen joints and lots of pain.

Around 6 we found Santhi Guest House, Changspa, a lovely little place with problems, our base for the next 5 days.
=======
Attached Thumbnails
Leh-docked-dsc_0088.jpg  

Last edited by ramkya1 : 7th July 2010 at 15:11.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 15:06   #92
Senior - BHPian

Ramky, apart from the parathas, parathas and parathas, did you guys have a chance to stop by at the Lamayuru monastery?

How much Santhi Guest House charge you? Contact info?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 15:10   #93
Team-BHP Support

Its an optical illusion. We rolled a rubber ball, and it rolled in the same direction as the car. so nothing magnetic here, just the optical illusion due to hidden horizon
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 15:12   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its an optical illusion. We rolled a rubber ball, and it rolled in the same direction as the car. so nothing magnetic here, just the optical illusion due to hidden horizon
Wait till I upload the video on utube, I also thought that was bunk, believe me it works, there's spot where you have to place the car.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:13   #95
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Ramkya sir. Can't avoid making this comment. Please pardon me if it hurts your sensibilities.
From some photos I can see that it's not only the himalayan peaks that are glistening!

There's one more such mystery spot in California where things roll up the incline. More than Magnetism, I think it is to do with centre of gravity!

check this site.
http://www.mysteryspot.com/

And while we wait for your video, do note sir, there are so many such spots in US which seem to show things roll up an incline. It's pure centre of gravity that moves your vehicle. The optical illusion makes you think it's moving up hill. Could be due to the angle at which other things surrounding are!

Last edited by MX6 : 7th July 2010 at 15:32.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 15:30   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Wait till I upload the video on utube, I also thought that was bunk, believe me it works, there's spot where you have to place the car.

Can't wait to see this. Plese upload fast and give the url.

Excellant travelogue. I was in LEH a couple of years back. No adventures though. Flight from Delhi to LEH. Seeing those folded mountains from the air is a thrilling experience.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 15:41   #97
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ramky, apart from the parathas, parathas and parathas, did you guys have a chance to stop by at the Lamayuru monastery?

How much Santhi Guest House charge you? Contact info?
Apart from the parathas, parathas and parathas..... we did not have a chance to stop at Lamayuru monastry.

The road at the fork, 110 KM from Caravan Hotel Kargil, goes down to Lamayuru Monstry, was blocked due to road work going on, we were diverted through the high road which goes on for another 10 KMs and descents through Hangaroo loops, joins in another 9 kms at a bridge to the lower road.

Santhii Guest house, 400 Per person only for bed, will send you the contact info.

------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Ramkya sir. Can't avoid making this comment. Please pardon me if it hurts your sensibilities.
From some photos I can see that it's not only the himalayan peaks that are glistening!

There's one more such mystery spot in California where things roll up the incline. More than Magnetism, I think it is to do with centre of gravity!

check this site.
The Mystery Spot Official Website

And while we wait for your video, do note sir, there are so many such spots in US which seem to show things roll up an incline. It's pure centre of gravity that moves your vehicle. The optical illusion makes you think it's moving up hill. Could be due to the angle at which other things surrounding are!
You mean my K-TOP, yes that's another phenomenon!!

I am compelled to say this: I am 52 years old, a rationalist, a skeptist and believe in metrics and facts, my professional life is filled with daily evaluation of metrics, not emotions. I have seen many optical illusions in my life and knows it when I see one.

The magnetic hill "0" point is a rectangle drawn on the middle of the road, after which the road dips down 10-15 degrees towards Leh in the next 20 feets. At first I told Jiggy and KP, lets move, this a big myth and a farce when this tourist told me to switch off and place my car 20 feet down on the incline and wait, Wolt was dragged by a power up the incline, for the life I of me I was confounded!!! No illusion that.

For all the skeptics, I wil draw an exact map as to where to place their car and try for themselves. Unfortunately every one was so excited, no photo was taken and only a video clip remains.

I have to clip out the video from my videocam, will take some time, but surely will upload it sometime soon.

=======

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st July 2010 at 21:37. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:20   #98
Senior - BHPian

Once again excellent pics of WOLT and extraordinary scenery. I love the one with snake like curves of the road.

Can n't wait to see the magic of mystery spot! Bring it on.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 16:26   #99
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sir, we are not sceptical about your prowess. Is it possible to get the gps logs for that stretch of roll? That would show the altitudes! Just that there's been quite some research on this where people have collected similar metrices and found out that it's illusion.
So when you plan your US trip, do add the mystery spot in santa cruz to it too!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 16:31   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Sir, we are not sceptical about your prowess. Is it possible to get the gps logs for that stretch of roll? That would show the altitudes! Just that there's been quite some research on this where people have collected similar metrices and found out that it's illusion.
So when you plan your US trip, do add the mystery spot in santa cruz to it too!
I have logged GPS data in Magnetic Hill, let me analyse it and revert. You can also have a go at it, Magnetic Hill is marked.

http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/...Mt0t6nY0uV5FIQ
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 16:47   #101
Senior - BHPian

One photo and one PDF just for information.... it would great if someone else would put their car car thro the test and validate...

Leh-docked-maghillsone.jpg

========

Some more form this roue....
Attached Thumbnails
Leh-docked-dsc_0115.jpg  

Leh-docked-dsc_0118.jpg  

Leh-docked-dsc_0130.jpg  

Leh-docked-dsc_0138.jpg  

Leh-docked-dsc_0140.jpg  

Leh-docked-dsc_0142.jpg  

Leh-docked-dsc_0148.jpg  

Leh-docked-dsc_0150.jpg  

Leh-docked-dsc_0153.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf magnetic hills.pdf (10.9 KB, 397 views)

Last edited by ramkya1 : 7th July 2010 at 17:00.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:55   #102
Team-BHP Support

Ramky, we put our car at the same spot, and indeed it rolled "uphill". Then I put the rubber ball(which I purchased from leh for 10rs for precisely this reason) and it also rolled "uphill".
As for GPS track, since granularity is in meters, its impossible to ascertain a couple of feet of difference via GPS.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:03   #103
BHPian

I do not know, if its an optical illusion or not, but our hired qualis did roll up on its own at the same spot.

Excellent log guys, . 5* from my side. Keep going.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:08   #104
Senior - BHPian

I'm a science student and majored in Botany so the numbers and calculations fog me. Ramky, did you have a sextant with you to measure these numbers?

Secondly, what has this got to do with switching off the engine? Does a running engine generate counter magnetism to nullify the so called "magnetic effect" at the magnetic hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I am compelled to say this: I am 52 years old, a rationalist, a skeptist and believe in metrics and facts, my professional life is filled with daily evaluation of metrics, not emotions. I have seen many optical illusions in my life and knows it when I see one.

The magnetic hill "0" point is a rectangle drawn on the middle of the road, after which the road dips down 10-15 degrees towards Leh in the next 20 feets. At first I told Jiggy and KP, lets move, this a big myth and a farce when this tourist told me to switch off and place my car 20 feet down on the incline and wait, Wolt was dragged by a power up the incline, for the life I of me I was confounded!!! No illusion that.

For all the skeptics, I wil draw an exact map as to where to place their car and try for themselves. Unfortunately every one was so excited, no photo was taken and only a video clip remains.

I have to clip out the video from my videocam, will take some time, but surely will upload it sometime soon.

=======
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

When we passed by, I think the buggers had just finished tarmacing the road - there was no white box. The yellow Board was there though......
suman is offline   Reply With Quote