Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st July 2010, 02:55   #1
BHPian

Default Chennai to Mumbai - The Journey

Colleague 1: You must be crazy!
Colleague 2: See, I told you you were crazy!
Me: Chill guys, I am not crazy!
Colleague 1: Who in their right mind does this, why don't you just ship it?
Colleague 2: This is what I have been trying to tell him, he just doesn't listen!
Me: Its too expensive to ship - around 20 k is the quote I got, plus I just can't stay without it for a single day...
Colleague 1: But don't you think its dangerous?
Colleague 2: See, that's exactly what I have been telling him!
Me: Relax guys, I have done this before...
Both Colleagues: You what?!
Me: Yes - not once but twice!
Colleague 1: And your wife is OK with this?
Me: Yep, infact she is the one who told me to do it the second time.
Colleague 2: So, how long does it take?
Me: Well the first time, I was a newbie, so it took longer, this time when I did it back in January, it took me 18 hours.
Both Colleagues: So, you're sure you want to do this and when do we expect you to do this act of yours?
Me: Its fixed - 28th Night / 29th Morning
Both Colleagues: Straight through - Non stop???
Me: We will see...
sirajbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 03:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Siraj, Didnt you show your 2 colleagues some travelogues in this forum? They wouldnt have bugged you so much then !!

So bring it in quickly... or is that you are starting on July28?

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 03:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Siraj, Didnt you show your 2 colleagues some travelogues in this forum? They wouldnt have bugged you so much then !!

So bring it in quickly... or is that you are starting on July28?

Abhi
Actually I did refer TBHP to them - and although the concerns are still there, the constant verbal reminders have gone down.

And yes - I am travelling on 28th July...
Old 21st July 2010, 03:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant! I'll keep the popcorn ready on 29th or 30th. Best of luck. Whats the ride ? Total members ? etc etc..
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 03:58   #5
BHPian

Default An Open Offer

OK Guys, here is the deal, I would prefer doing this trip alongwith someone else, for two main reasons:
  1. Driving alone is boring - not to mention a little unsafe
  2. There are too many beautiful photo opportunities, but driving and taking photos simultaneously is not my speciality

So here is what I can offer:
  1. There is only one seat on offer with luggage space enough akin to a cabin baggage specification
  2. I will pick up all the fuel and toll expenses - No Jokes - I am serious!
  3. I expect the person to pitch in 50% on food and lodging (prefer to stay overnight and complete the journey the next day - so leave on 29th July morning (Thursday) really early morning, stay somewhere on 29th night, and plan to reach Mumbai by 29th July 2010 (Friday) around 10-11 AM

Attributes Desired of My Co-Traveler (in order of priority):
  1. Must be a good driver (back up just in case) - Car will be a Verna CRDI SX with ABS
  2. Must be able to handle a DSLR comfortably and take good pictures - My gear is a Nikon D5000
  3. Should be comfortable with cigarette smoke - I am planning to quit in the next 5 days (wife's ultimatum) but just in case!
  4. Should be appreciative of a wide genre of music - I shall be playing mostly Alternative, Rock, Jazz and Western Classical (very little Hindi)
  5. Should be non vegetarian - Eating a whole butter chicken or chicken kohlapuri is quite taxing!

So let me know if anyone is interested. Please bear in mind that this is a single way trip to Mumbai as I am relocating from Chennai to Mumbai. Hence coming back to Chennai (if desired) will be at your own expense. By the way, if I get more than one response to this, it will be on a first come first served basis. Thanks!

Last edited by sirajbose : 21st July 2010 at 04:14.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:54   #6
BHPian

Hi Siraj,

Waiting eagerly for this travelogue to start. Hope you get a good co traveler. Have a safe journey. Rock On.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 11:21   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Point number 5 would be a turn off for people like me. Point 3 would be a strict no-no.
Anyway, All the best for your journey.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 11:56   #8
BHPian

Point number 5 would be a turn ON for people like me. what do you say MX. I am great foodie you see. Point 3 would be a strict no-no for me as well

But anyhow I am in Pune, let us know if you found your co-driver. Just a hint most of them will try avoid non-veg on a long trip drive, I did the same the thing when I did Pune-blr and mysore-Pune last month.

Its always better to be vegetarian incase if you're a lone driver.

I see that you're breaking your journey on the first day and if thats the case I feel that one can do this trip all alone will ample break, photo session but incase if you need some one for company/speaking/you getting bored may be that will be missing.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 18:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Brilliant! I'll keep the popcorn ready on 29th or 30th. Best of luck. Whats the ride ? Total members ? etc etc..
Ride is a Hyundai Verna - as things seem right now - Its just going to be me driving down... but lets see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hi Siraj,
Waiting eagerly for this travelogue to start. Hope you get a good co traveler. Have a safe journey. Rock On.
Thanks for the good wishes - I am waiting for the journey to begin as well. Can't wait to get back home to my family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Point number 5 would be a turn off for people like me. Point 3 would be a strict no-no.
Anyway, All the best for your journey.
MX - That is why I mentioned in order of priority - Actually speaking point 1 and 2 are the most crucial. 3 is definately manageable as I don't intend to do it inside the car, for point 4 - a good pair of headphones is sufficient and for point 5 - if I have to eat my chicken alone then so be it! And thanks for your good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Its always better to be vegetarian incase if you're a lone driver.
Ranjith - Why is that the case?

Last edited by sirajbose : 21st July 2010 at 18:28.
Old 21st July 2010, 19:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajbose View Post
Ride is a Hyundai Verna - as things seem right now - Its just going to be me driving down... but lets see...
I hope you have looked up Mumbai Bangalore Road trip thread for valuable tips from parag, HVK @nairar. Its like the book of NH4. It'll help you in most of your decisions. Best of luck!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 20:24   #11
BHPian

What route do you intend to take? Avoid the stretch from Guntakal to Bellary at all costs! All the best for your trip and drive safe!
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 20:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Coolstuff! Many more NH4 Logs and a day isn't far when we have one Bhpian do this on every weekend on an average.

Most of us here, apart from wishing you the best of your trip would love to get an update on the road conditions between Davanagere and Haveri.

Rest is all a pleasure and am sure you would love to do it all over again like all of us here have been quite regularly.

Good Luck and drive safe.

Waiting for more.

@ExtremeTorque, I doubt if Siraj would pass those places mentioned since he is more likely to stick to Chennai-Blr-Pune-Mumbai route.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st July 2010 at 20:53.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 03:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
@ExtremeTorque, I doubt if Siraj would pass those places mentioned since he is more likely to stick to Chennai-Blr-Pune-Mumbai route.
Parag, you are absolutely correct - for that is the route I plan to take.

Planning to leave around 200 AM from Chennai - once I reach the outskirts of Bangalore, is there anyway I can bypass the city and go directly onto the Bangalore - Pune stretch of the NH4? I always get lost in Bangalore!
Old 22nd July 2010, 04:09   #14
BHPian

Yup, Take the route through NICE road, although its highly recommended you go through the city as the road is not worth travelling through. Google maps should help you.
amitwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 04:29   #15

have been becoming regular on tbhp&mostly love travelogues&vintage cars section...For your journey all the best siraj...
zealous123 is offline   Reply With Quote