Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd July 2010, 18:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Vietnam! A first on T-Bhp... Good one Pramod. Great pics as well. Love the old world charm the city has to offer.

As far as automobile spotting goes, i think i saw a Chevy Spark in one of the pics with the 2 ladies holding umbrellas!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 21:47   #32
BHPian

Default City of Da Nang in Central Vietnam.

@ampere -- I just realised i dont know where Malta is But definitely sounds like an asian city. Yes, the cities here are quite clean, to my surprise too

@abhinav -- Thanks!
---------------------------
DaNang is in the central part of Vietnam. Its an hour's flight from Hanoi.
DaNang is on the coast of the South China Sea. River Hai An flows through this city and joins the sea.

I visited the following places:
1. South china beach -- Quite a happening beach. I saw a number of Visitors from other South Asian countries here. This is a very long beach and its dotted with numerous resorts, hotels, restaurants along.

2. Buddha statue and Pagoda on the sea side hill -- This 200 foot Buddha statue is on a hill next to the sea. The view of the vast sea from this cliff is quite a spectacle. And a very peaceful place. A very nice pagoda is there, in the same campus, atop the hill.

3. Champa museum -- Champ/Champa dynasty ruled over this Indo-China region long back. Mainly in the Campuchia/Laos/Vietnam region. Its remains are being excavated to this day. And is a tourist attraction. I visited the museum which is situated in the city of Danang. I could find a number of Idols of Ganesha, Shiva Lingam, and a number of other Indian gods/goddess.

4. River side drive -- My Hotel was on this stretch. And i could walk along the river Hai An and cross the 2 beautiful bridges across it, to reach the beach.

I badly missed visiting the longest cable car in the world. This place was 40 Kms from DaNang. But did not get time to visit.

Name:  60.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  69.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  DSCN2897.JPG
Views: 842
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2873.JPG
Views: 822
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  61.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  62.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  70.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2885.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  DSCN2890.JPG
Views: 825
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  DSCN2902.JPG
Views: 803
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  DSCN2901.JPG
Views: 796
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  DSCN2892.JPG
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2893.JPG
Views: 800
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  DSCN2684.JPG
Views: 793
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  DSCN2686.JPG
Views: 789
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  66.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  67.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  68.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2918.JPG
Views: 782
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  DSCN2921.JPG
Views: 785
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  DSCN2922.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  71.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  76.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  77.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  DSCN2742.JPG
Views: 761
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  DSCN2749.JPG
Views: 768
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  DSCN2751.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  DSCN2757.JPG
Views: 766
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2758.JPG
Views: 765
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  DSCN2812.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  49.6 KB

Last edited by pramod : 22nd July 2010 at 21:52.
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:14   #33
BHPian

Default Art scene in Vietnam

Every shopping street has numerous shops selling beautiful paintings. The art culture looks promising for sure. I really feel like buying a few. But i am sure, carrying it home is not the easiest thing to do.
So, here i capture just a few of them on my camera.

Name:  72.jpg
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  73.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  75.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  DSCN2813.JPG
Views: 863
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  DSCN2814.JPG
Views: 794
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  DSCN2815.JPG
Views: 775
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2817.JPG
Views: 768
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2818.JPG
Views: 821
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  DSCN2819.JPG
Views: 943
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  DSCN2820.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  78.2 KB
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:53   #34
BHPian

Wow ! Really nice travelogue and pics to go with it Pramod ! A close friend of mine stayed there for nearly six years in HCMC but I was never able to make it to Vietnam ! He has shared a lot of his experiences which are very similar to yours, waiting to see and read more !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 00:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pics. It would be really nice if you can write caps with the pics you post with relevant details.

I was really surprised to see/know Ganesha idol being excavated in Vietnam! My History/Geography seems to be really poor.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:39   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

I thought I saw a toyota camry in one of the snaps... could not recognize any other brand! Which are the common car brands in Vietnam?
I saw a Chevy Spark in one of the snaps!
Ranjimso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 06:33   #37
Team-BHP Support

Pramod thats the funny part of Malta. Its separate country in EU!
An island in Mediterranean.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I was really surprised to see/know Ganesha idol being excavated in Vietnam! My History/Geography seems to be really poor.
It is no surprise to those who have read South Indian history, as modern Vietnam,Laos and Cambodia were subordinate territories to the Cholas and Pallavas at one time. Extract from Wikipedia about Rajendra Chola:

Rajendra Chola I (Tamil: முதலாம் இராசேந்திர சோழன்) was the son of Rajaraja Chola I, the great king of Tamil Chola dynasty. He succeeded his father in 1014 C.E. as the Chola emperor. During his reign, he extended the influences of the already vast Chola empire up to the banks of the river Ganges in the north and across the ocean. Rajendra’s territories extended coastal Burma, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Maldives, conquered the kings of Srivijaya (Sumatra, Java and Malaya in South East Asia) and Pegu islands with his fleet of ships. He defeated Mahipala, the Pala king of Bengal and Bihar, and to commemorate his victory he built a new capital called Gangaikonda Cholapuram. Tamil Chola armies exacted tribute from Thailand and the Khmer kingdom of Cambodia. Like the predecessors of the Cholas, the Pallavas and the contemporaneous Pandiyans, the Cholas too under Raja Raja I the father of Rajendra and then Rajendra Chola I too undertook several expeditions to occupy territories outside Indian shores. Of these kings, it was Rajendra who made extensive overseas conquests of territories like the Andamans, Lakshadweepa, wide areas Indo China (Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Indonesia and Modern Vietnam) and indeed, Burma (**). In fact, Rajendra Chola I was the first Indian king to take his armies overseas and make conquests of these territories, even though there is epigraphical evidence of Pallava presence in these very areas, but it is not known that Burma and Indo-China were subordinate to them, as they were under Rajendra and his successors up to Kulothunga I(**). But these were benevolent conquests, as they seem to hve been during the times of the Pallavas, with there being wide cultural inter-changes, and the influence of the Pallavas and Cholas in the architecture in those areas in both Buddhist and Hindu religious centres showing remarkable similarities(**).
Unquote

Here is the full article:

Chola Dynasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, this puntures the claim that India was never the aggressor during her entire history!

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd July 2010 at 10:17.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is no surprise to those who have read South Indian history, as modern Vietnam,Laos and Cambodia were subordinate territories to the Cholas and Pallavas at one time. Extract from Wikipedia about Rajendra Chola:

Here is the full article:

Chola Dynasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, this puntures the claim that India was never the aggressor during her entire history!
Gansan,

That's very interesting, the influence at Cambodia is visible at Angkor Vat. One difference about India has been benevolance, the world is replete with history of countries taking over with intent to stay, loot and rape the land and people. Our kings and Emperors were more humane, conquered territories were handed over to local rulers. This tradition continued in the India Pakistan war, Bangladesh was given back.

@ Pramod: Nice load of pictures, very informative stories.... keep them coming.

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd July 2010 at 10:42.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:52   #40
BHPian

@ramkya1 -- OT from what is being discussed now. I had been to this travel shop an hour back to book for Tam Coc river -- Sampan ride (its a traditional small boat) and we will also visit Hoa Lu temple (citadel).

She has received your mail. She will respond back to you with a plan. It seems, october this year is the celebrations of 1000 years of Vietnam's existence. Wanna prepone ur plan by a month??

Tommorow morning we shall start at 7.30 AM. A car will take us on a 2.5 hr journey. We will then complete the 3 hour boat ride. Then, have lunch. Move on to Hoa Lu temple. Drive back to Hanoi.
I will post the next set of snaps from this trip, by tomm night.

A sample of Tam Coc, from random internet search.

Name:  tam20coc20dep.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  Tam_Coc1.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  31.2 KB
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

I agree with your point Ramky, they were (mostly) benevolent conquests and plunder / destruction, if any were minimal. But one exception was Sri Lanka:

Extract from Wikipedia about Raja Raja Chola:

Quote:
Invasion of Lanka
To eliminate the remaining actor in the triumvirate, Rajaraja invaded Sri Lanka in 993 CE. The copper-plate inscription mention that Rajaraja’s powerful army crossed the ocean by ships and burnt up the kingdom of Lanka. Mahinda V was the king of Sinhalas. In 991 CE, Mahinda’s army mutinied with help from mercenaries from Kerala. Mahinda had to seek refuge in the southern region of Rohana. Rajaraja utilised this opportunity and invaded the island. Chola armies occupied the northern half of Lanka and named the dominion ‘Mummudi Chola Mandalam’. Anuradhapura, the 1400-year-old capital of Sinhala kings was destroyed. The destruction was so extensive the city was abandoned. Cholas made the city of Polonnaruwa as their capital and renamed it Jananathamangalam. The choice of this city demonstrates the desire of Rajaraja to conquer the entire island. Rajaraja also built a Temple for Siva in Pollonaruwa.[12] RajaRajan's desire to bring the whole Lankan island under Cholan empire was fulfilled later by his son Rajendra Chola I.
Unquote

Though benevolent, aggression was still aggression! But we have never been the aggressors in the modern era, no doubt about that.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
@ramkya1 -- OT from what is being discussed now. I had been to this travel shop an hour back to book for Tam Coc river -- Sampan ride (its a traditional small boat) and we will also visit Hoa Lu temple (citadel).

She has received your mail. She will respond back to you with a plan. It seems, october this year is the celebrations of 1000 years of Vietnam's existence. Wanna prepone ur plan by a month??

Tommorow morning we shall start at 7.30 AM. A car will take us on a 2.5 hr journey. We will then complete the 3 hour boat ride. Then, have lunch. Move on to Hoa Lu temple. Drive back to Hanoi.

I will post the next set of snaps from this trip, by tomm night.

A sample of Tam Coc, from random internet search.
Looks like you're having a ball, enjoy.

Tnx for checking with them, will be sending them a tentative plan in a few days. Can't prepone, my wife's holidays start from November 2nd. Been going thro. lots of T.logs of Cambodia and Vietnam, looks like I can fly to Angkor, take a road trip to Phnom Pehn (not sure about conditions, but some say it's dicey) and travel overland, cross the border to Hochiminh City.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:29   #43
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. So there's a lot of discussion of history going on now. Good to see that. Incidentally I read in paper that they are going to spend 2K crores in finding the lost city of Kaveripoompattinam! So much for Sanga period history - Damu's exploring it in Tranquebar, Another T-BHPian explored it in Velankanni - Pondy, now Pramod's doing it in Vietnam. And I'm asking Ramkya to do that in Angkor wat!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
And I'm asking Ramkya to do that in Angkor wat!
I would love to see Angkor temple through a SLR of a t-bhpian!
And MX6 seems to be going all out in marketing it
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:41   #45
BHPian

Pramod, if you are keen to buy the paintings, ask the shop to remove them from the wooden frames and roll them up to enable you to carry them to India. I bought several in HongKong, in that manner.
By the way - nice pictures and an interesting read. Is it easy to get vegetarian food?
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote