Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 31st July 2010, 08:56   #76
BHPian

Waiting for the next part of the narrative Arun.
Keep it flowing. i'll be off to Tadoba in sometime and my sole intetion this time will e to track the pregnant female. Will hopefully be back by sunday night with documentation

Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 09:16   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
I even put up this vacant ad on TBHP - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...y-24-26-a.html (2 vacant places to visit Tadoba (TATR) July 24 - 26), but no one seemed to be interested.
Oops! missed this ad, would have loved to join in. Any such opportunities in future? (i am thinking of something this coming weekend)

I would also suggest putting such things (link) on HYd meet section, much better response expected there.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 01:07   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
Awsome writeup buddy and truly great pictures....
Thanks! i am glad you liked em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
hello team
Excellent narrative Arun.
It was a sort of a mini team-bhp get together at tadoba for us.
Its a great thing to assign faces to online user ids.

we shot aout 16gb photos and vids.

The bear that was missed by mostly everybody who were engrossed in viewing the cubs.
A point for ppl to remember to take videos with their point and shoot cameras if they r not getting good stills !!

Arun, we will be going back to Tadoba this weekend again to track the pregnant female that we missed on monday morning whose pugmark pics you have posted.
Thanks for the pics doc. you proved your credentials! and thanks from pointing at the sloth bear. We couldnt start up our cams but yeah, we caught them in memory. BTW, did you get a video where the cubs were contineously sneezing? Maaan, it was funny but exciting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
@abheekg: Looks like you made them stand and pose for you. Great pics.
Would love to join if you have anything planned in the south.

@extremetorque : Am sure, the two day training brought you down to earth
Yesssirrie! Abheek showed us a trick or 2. Though i am not much of a camera guy, my trigger happy wife Nidhi and my collegues seem to have caught up quite a few of the tricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Dr Sahab and ET, Amazing Snaps! Classic and a Mission I must well accomplished!
Here are my 5 stars!
ampere, thanks a ton!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Excellent work behind the lens. 5* from me too.
Lucky was the word for us! Thanks for the 5* TB!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Excellent Pics ! I could hear my heart beats when I was looking into the pics of the cubs and I did shiver a bit thinking how it would have been for you guys watching from a close distance.

Also the Sambhar story was informative. Good writings too!

You have the skill to keep us glued and with the excitement and curiosity -- probably you should try writing some thrillers too
writing and me were 2 different things. Wifey pushed me hard and did her bit too. And watching the cubs for the first time was just WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Waiting for the next part of the narrative Arun.
Keep it flowing. i'll be off to Tadoba
God speed there Abheek! Was in training Thu and Fri, hence not much updates. I will try to cover the third sighting on sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Oops! missed this ad, would have loved to join in. Any such opportunities in future? (i am thinking of something this coming weekend)

I would also suggest putting such things (link) on HYd meet section, much better response expected there.
unoczar, i am sure you would have joined (and brought your 'circuit' driver along). Next time for sure. We are planning for pench MP shortly and will keep you in the loop
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 02:15   #79
BHPian

This is the closest I have come. But these are in captivity (and so are the viewers!).
My bother who keeps visting Tadoba, once had one of these brushing his jeep. I can understand the the thrill of watching in forest in open!

Name:  Tigers.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  182.7 KB

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 1st August 2010 at 02:19.
naren_gs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 12:00   #80
BHPian

Awesome pics. This TL rightly deserves the *****Star Rating. Waiting for more.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 19:42   #81
BHPian

After another successful safari, it was lunch time. Abheek was kind enough to join us for lunch and shared some of his photography skills. It gave me and others a good opportunity to lay our hands on some of the bazooka’s he got.

with Abheek and his ammunition
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1498.jpg

Trying out one of his bazooka's
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1502.jpg

Post lunch, it was a quick nap time for everyone. I was too excited to take my black beauty into the forest and could not sleep.

Evening safari time and Satish was burning like hell. After the wet safari earlier in the day, his fever seemed to aggravate. We decided to leave him with some more crocin and paracetmol, for this one so that he could recuperate and join us in the early morning safari the next day.

Formalities at the entry gate done, we headed straight to the spot of the morning sighting. There were a few others who were waiting there for the cubs to turn up but without luck.

The wait @ watering hole # 10
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1513.jpg

We too waited for a few minutes. At one point, I had to back up my car a bit to inspect some movement in the bushes and I realized, OMG , I left the reverse buzzer on. We quickly dashed for the gate, got out and fixed the reverse horn.

Disconnecting the noise pollution (cant dream of doing this in the city)
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1540.jpg

That settled and our prospects of spotting a tiger seeming tough, it was time for some off roading. Now, ,most of our latest generation cars can get into the by lanes of this forest range, however beware of extreme sludgy conditions and past that the thick undergrowth of bamboo shoots, on the paint of ones car. I, unfortunately had a few scratches on the body, but my baby handled really well, negotiating some deep puddles and rocky terrains. I did almost everything a Gypsy could do, except for crossing the Andhari river. Due to the rains of the past few days, the river was in its full glory and flowing on to one of the roads inside the forest. I didn’t dare enter it. Then I heard someone honking at me, in the middle of the forest. I see a Bolero parked behind me and I signal to the guy that I am backing out. The bolero, despite the flow of the water crosses the river effortlessly.

Bridge on the river Andhari
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1520.jpg

Nowhere else to go, we thought it would be best to wait at watering hole no 10 for the cubs to turn up. Once there, there were a few more vehicles and the instant we reached, the commotion started. I couldn’t believe my luck. It was one of the cubs again and it was right next to me in the bushes. Wifey perched on the front door had a clear view and signaled me to back up a bit as the cub seemed to move. Though I could not get a good view, I could see the yellow and black against the thick green undergrowth. The cub was trying to mark territory and climb a tree.

Sorry folks! This was all i could get of the cub this time
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1543.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1544.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1545.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1546.jpg

Wifey perched on the door
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1522.jpg
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1549.jpg

There it is, the crowd pointing out to the cub
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1541.jpg

Another day, another traffic jam
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1547.jpg

I too decide to replicate wifeys stunt of climbing on to the window to take a good photo. As soon as I got out (with some difficulty, considering the years of pounds I put on), I saw the forest directors jeep trying to make it out of the blockade of tourists. I had to back a little and I started climbing back in to the car and suddenly – ‘pom’, I hit the horn! I look around and everyone is looking at me, like I am an escaped convict. There was this particular lady whose look I cannot forget it my life. All the expletives I learnt in my life seemed to be conveyed by the look of her eyes. Quite sheepishly and remorsefully I did not try the stunt again.

After 10 more mins of playing the cubs go deeper into the bushes. The entire crowd disappears and we too move ahead.

The rest of the day proved to be quite successful as we got to spot a barking deer (which posed for us for well over 10 mins), a peacock which flew away by the time we could shoot it and some long eared rabbits on the way back to our guest house.

Barking deer
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1553.jpg
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1560.jpg
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-3234.jpg

Peacock that flew onto a tree
Name:  3242.JPG
Views: 1119
Size:  71.7 KB

Long eared rabbit
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1601.jpg

Name:  3254.JPG
Views: 1111
Size:  41.9 KB

Not sure but this looked like some bird
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-3244.jpg

which we spotted by this lake
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1596.jpg

After off-roading
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1591.jpg

Lush green + stream
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1509.jpg

Double parked
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1512.jpg

The bus runs twice a day in the forest
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1515.jpg

Another successful safari – strike 3 or 3/3! Early dinner and good night!
Attached Thumbnails
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1507.jpg  

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1525.jpg  

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1527.jpg  

Old 1st August 2010, 19:59   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
This is the closest I have come. But these are in captivity (and so are the viewers!).
My bother who keeps visting Tadoba, once had one of these brushing his jeep. I can understand the the thrill of watching in forest in open!
Naren, The tigers coat is very bright. Was this processed or are they a different breed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Awesome pics. This TL rightly deserves the *****Star Rating. Waiting for more.
Thanks sami. I will try and finish by Tue.
Old 1st August 2010, 19:59   #83
Senior - BHPian

Arun.
Its time you graduate to a DSLR and add lenses as you go on. Remember, your passion will only grow. The blurred and distant pics of the cubs could have been avoided with the right aperture, shutter speed and lens, A PS camera has limitations.
Great travelogue nevertheless. Deserves all the stars possible.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 20:03   #84
BHPian

Thank you Sirji. I completly agree with you. I was planning on a Nikon D5000 for a long time now. I am just waiting for the finances to fall in place (and i hope soon).
Old 1st August 2010, 21:57   #85
MX6
Senior - BHPian

E-Torque. Don't tell me they allow you to drive your own vehicle inside Tadoba on a tiger safari. This is something great!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 23:08   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
E-Torque. Don't tell me they allow you to drive your own vehicle inside Tadoba on a tiger safari. This is something great!
Well, they very much do! I heard this is the only WLS in the country that allowes your personal vehicles in. While it has its advantages (for homo spiens), i have seen first hand how it can be disadvantageous for the wild life. Ppl tend to speed (above the specified limit of 30), litter, make bad manevours, get out of their vehicles etc.
I think the personal vehicle entry would be closed shortly. make the most of it, NOW!
Old 1st August 2010, 23:28   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread, and wonderful pics.

I love it that your wife captured the tigers with her eyes in the rain --- and I guess she gave you tiger stare when you hit that horn!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 23:47   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Great thread, and wonderful pics.

she gave you tiger stare when you hit that horn!
yeah she did! we were both embarassed to the core with my goof up. Thanks for the complements TEG!
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:07   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Naren, The tigers coat is very bright. Was this processed or are they a different breed?
These are Siberian tigers. Picture is as taken with a Canon.
naren_gs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:47   #90
BHPian

Satish started feeling much better after the day off from Safari. It was early 6.00AM and our Gypsy driver was already waiting to take us for our 4th safari. By now, we were pretty sure that the cubs have made watering hole 10 their playground and we headed straight to it.

The wait at WH # 10
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1612.jpg

A 15-20 min proved futile and we proceeded into one of the bylanes to try our luck. We couldn’t believe our luck when the vehicle stopped to inspect a slight rustling in one of the bushes.

Camera’s ready to roll, we were expecting one of the cubs to come out and cross the road. We were a bit disappointed when out emerged a wild boar and not the cub. I haven’t seen a wild boar before except for the zoo, so it was quite fascinating for me and thoroughly enjoyed them crossing the road.

Wild Boar Crossing
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1606.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1607.jpg

Some more unsuccessful off-roading and we were starving. As is the ritual of morning safari’s, we headed straight to the village for some Poha and Chai.

Langur's
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1624.jpg

Trying to decipher the Marathi signage
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1640.jpg

Jungle Breakfast
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1648.jpg

It was straight for the woods post breakfast and chai. Our guide for the day pointed out to something in the forest fire line clearing and we were looking at a couple of full grown Indian Gaur or Bison. Guide says the tiger can take out such a full grown Bison in a few hours. Again our hunger for spotting a tiger was fuelled by this and we headed to Telia Dharan, the lake inside the Moharli range.

Indian Gaur/Bison
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1659.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-3313.jpg

Try spotting the long eared rabbit
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1661.jpg

A few kilometers into the by lane that takes you to Telia Dharan, the vehicle suddenly stops. Guide points out that there is an Azgar crossing the road. We see in the direction he is pointing and what do we see? A python slowly slithering across the road and into the bushes. Guide says that this is one of the rarest of rare sightings, rarer than the elusive Leapord. Me thinks, such a huge forest and you think spotting the Python is rare? That’s when our driver takes out his own handycam to shoot it. While shooting he says Tigers are dime a dozen and we spot them everyday. This is rare. Now I believe and we click a few shots. Disturbed by the commotion, the Python increases its pace and disappears into the bushes and climbs up a bamboo tree. So heavy is the Python, that the branch it climbed on breaks and the Python comes crashing down, only to slither back into the wilderness of the bushes. Guide and driver say that it mush have gulped a meal recently, adding to its weight.

Another wild animal crossing
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1665.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-3320.jpg

Slithering away
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1666.jpg

On the bamboo tree
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1671.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-3322.jpg

Back on our way to Telia Dharan, we spot a jungle fowl, a sambar and baby sambar and a few spotted deer grazing at a distance.

Jungle fowl
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1688.jpg

Sambar & Baby Sambar out for breakfast
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1693.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1694.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-3343.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-3344.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-3345.jpg

Deer grazing
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1697.jpg

Continuing on our hunt for the Tiger, our driver and guide point to something on the ground. Fresh pug marks left by a full grown female! We were amazed by the sheer size of the pug marks. It was obviously fresh as the Pug marks were above a trail of tire marks. From then on, each one of us is searching in the bushes to spot any movement.

Fresh pug marks
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1710.jpg

Name:  1711.JPG
Views: 938
Size:  60.3 KB

We come across another Gypsy whose occupants are out of their vehicles trying to locate something in the bushes. On enquiry they say that they spotted the pregnant female tigress crossing a small stream and heading in the direction they were looking at.

The hunt is on
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1719.jpg

Searching here
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1720.jpg

Using one of Abheek's gear
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1722.jpg

Tiger spotting can be tiering at times
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1725.jpg

We stop at the spot for a few minutes and then head to the spot where they had seen the tigress but with no luck. A few more minutes of the hunt and we are close to 11AM mark of making it out of the range. The rest of our conversations were about the elusive Python and we head back to the exit gate. This was the first safari where we did not spot a tiger. Luck had run out, finally.

Fresh wild mushrooms collected by villagers
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1731.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1732.jpg

‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1738.jpg

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 2nd August 2010 at 11:02.