Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd August 2010, 10:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapna gurukar View Post
Thanks Kumar. Following are the details. Will send you a mail on the same. This may help someone on the forum.

Ahmedabad - Hotel Anjali - Rs. 700/- Basic accomodation, right on the highway and great food.
Udaipur - Bank of India guest house.
Jodhpur - Hotel Centre Point, High Court Road - 0291-5105522, 2547516 - bang in middle of town and ok place.
Bikaner - RTDC Dholamaru, Bikaner Cantonment - 0151-2529621 - Great place with homely food and good service.
Amritsar - Hotel Dee Sons, Grand Trunk Road, Next to Railway Station Gate 2
Manali - Bank of India guest house.
Jispa - Jispa Journeys, Tented accomodation - 09418660225, 09418954313 - www.jispaadventures.com
Jispa - Padma Lodge - Reasonably good hotel and good food. - 01900-233211, 094180-33211, 094187-19313
Leh - Hotel Khangri Nera Main Bazaar Road, 01982-252311, 01982-252762, hotelkhangri@rediffmail.com - Good place with great food.

Diskit - Olthang Guest House, 01980-220025, 220165, 94691-76104, Good place with good food.

Kargil - Hotel PC Palace, 01985-233136, 094693-64675, 094191-76533

Srinagar - Hotel welcome 0194-2453290, 2453291, 2453292, 2453293, 2453294, great place on the boulevard fo Srinagar.

Nagaur - Hotel Mahaveer International, Vijay Vallabh Chowk - 01582-243158, 94142-00491 - Good accomodation, good service and good food.

Vadodara - Hotel Swastik, Sayajigunj, 0265-2362969, 2226240, Just about ok but loads of eating joints around.

Hubli - Hotel Tirumala Classic, Opposite old bus stand - 0836-4261299 - the best accomodation in our entire trip. Great rooms, great service and amazing food.
WOW, that is a treasure trove of info, something all of us will bookmark for future reference.

Did you change your hotel in Jispa from the tents to Padma Lodge?

Did you manage to walk into all these places, or did you face any difficulties in finding accommodation?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:19   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not many here may know that both Sapna and Chandan Jeepers...
No wonder!

one more Leh t'logue, but with a big difference. A Getz (with two bravehearts at the wheel though!). Should be a big inspiration for more hatchbacks to head up there (though not many would have a tow-strap as part of the luggage, I'm sure!)

J&K seems to be increasingly on the boil as the days go by. I hope things quieten down over the next 8 weeks.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
No wonder!

one more Leh t'logue, but with a big difference. A Getz (with two bravehearts at the wheel though!). Should be a big inspiration for more hatchbacks to head up there (though not many would have a tow-strap as part of the luggage, I'm sure!)

J&K seems to be increasingly on the boil as the days go by. I hope things quieten down over the next 8 weeks.
I hope this silences the incessant questions about whether the Ford Endeavour is butchier than the Toyota Frontrunner and such like questions!!!! Ladakh can be done in any car, it is the skill of the driver that is on test. So if you think you are capable do it, whichever car you own. Be inspired that even a Nano has done the Ladakh drive, so why do you think twice before taking your own small car?

I am sure Sapna will tell us more later how the little Getz fared, which should be even more inspiring.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Superb title as every one said. I think the snaps repeating.
Each attachment shows up twice I think.
This is the first time I am posting a travelogue and hence that little goof up. Its been set right from the third post onwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Nice narration and very good photographs. Waiting for the next episode.

Did you use NH 15 for Bikaner to Amritsar?

Yes!! We did use NH 15 from Bikaner to Amritsar.

You can also spot the latest models of all type o vehicles in Punjab. Ludhiana is also known as merc capital.
Thanks for this. Unfortunately we skipped Ludhiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
Very nice narration. This thread has given me the hope that we can traverse Ladakh without a 4X4.
Initially we were skeptical too but after doing this trip, it has given us the confidence to traverse any terrain in our Getz. One thing I have to mention here - we got a skid plate/ sump guard done for the car in the last minute which helped a lot in clearing a number of stretches and boosted our confidence as well. I think it is a must for every car doing these terrains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
On a lighter note you can always do bangalore--nelamangala--kunigal--channarayapatna--hassan--alur--sakleshpur. Dont you think the detour via Ladakh was quite a long one ?
The Bangalore - Sakleshpur - Bangalore route has become like RT Nagar - Jayanagar - RT Nagar for us. So we decided to take a detour for a change, and a very long one at that.
[quote=condor;2007988]Sapna, lovely pics and an equally good narration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I think what Sapna did not mention is that their original route was Srinagar-Leh-Manali, which had to be changed in the last minute in the light of escalation in violence/ curfews in Kashmir Valley, especially in Anantnag and Srinagar which fall on their intended route. They took a quick (and wise) decision to change their plan and drive from Amritsar to Manali via Dharamsala.

They were lucky second time too in Manali-Jispa. The Rohtang Pass crumbled under the intense rainfall during that week and the day after Chandan/Sapna crossed, the road closed down, not to open fully for a full week thereafter. At one point of time, they were marooned at Jispa with roads on either side (Keylong-Manali, Sarchu-Leh) blockaded by land slides, resulting in being stuck in Jispa for one extra night.

You need a steel temperament to drive a Getz on the roads they did during the time when weather took a sharp turn for the worse.
I have mentioned it Kumar but due to so many photographs, I guess its not very prominent

Quote:
Sapna, was wondering when your Ladakh travelogue will show up. Very refreshing travelogue, very good photographs too.

Not many here may know that both Sapna and Chandan Jeepers, who are regulars at Karnataka OTR events.
Thanks Samurai. Hope to see you in the upcoming OTRs this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Hats off to you two... one of the best thread I read in Team BHP. A great road to reach Sakleshpur from Bangalore.

But some how did I miss the total journey time in days? if you don't mind.

And was Rajesthan a part of the plan or came on the way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
How long was the trip?
That will come up in the last part of the travelogue. And yes!! Rajasthan was a part of the plan as we had time on hand.
sapna gurukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not many here may know that both Sapna and Chandan Jeepers, who are regulars at Karnataka OTR events.
Jeep would have been a better choice for ladakh, isn't it? But that is taking nothing away from Getz. Seems car is of sturdy breed.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Jeep would have been a better choice for ladakh, isn't it? But that is taking nothing away from Getz. Seems car is of sturdy breed.
what you need for a drive like this is a reliable vehicle apart from a sturdy one.Jeeps are the most unreliable vehicles.I fear taking it from Bangalore to Sakleshpur, forget thro Ladakh
chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics with good narration.

This thread should have run for at least two weeks but Sapna made it like one day picnic.

One suggestion,
whenever we read travelogue, we enjoy the travel story with some spice, mirch-masala,
the first hand experience of different places, people, food and local life.

I hope, you got the point.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 3rd August 2010 at 11:37.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:41   #38
MX6
Senior - BHPian

AP saab, This is one of the best threads I've every came across (along with the couple of bikers in Rajasthan which I'd consider equally great).
Sometimes, too many details spoils the reading.
Perfect example for stretching something beyond coherence making it bad is the Magnificent Maharashtra Mahalog!

Anyway there's been enough spice about leh here. This log is like Kaas meadows. Blooms for 10 days. But is spoken about for a year!

+1 chandan. Samurai's signature perfectly explains the unreliability of jeeps

Last edited by MX6 : 3rd August 2010 at 11:43.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post

One suggestion,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
As already quoted, no doubt, this thread is really good in terms of crisp narration and pics by first timer.

It is just a suggestion from my side.
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Travelogue!
This trip (Blore To Leh) is on my To do list from a very long time.Getz doing this distance in a Hatch is truly remarkable and should serve as inspiration to many here

P.S can you please put up the Total distance covered(round trip) and the fuel charges involved(i think your getz is a petrol variant)
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:

This thread should have run for at least two weeks but Sapna made it like one day picnic.

One suggestion,
whenever we read travelogue, we enjoy the travel story with some spice, mirch-masala,
the first hand experience of different places, people, food and local life.

I hope, you got the point.
Ashish - This is being put up this fast because I am in Bangalore right now with a fast broadband connection and I have only two days to do so. If I return to Sakleshpur, the upload will not be possible.

With regard to the travelogue itself, I wanted to keep it as brief as possible with the main points only. I guess a lot has already been covered on people, food and local life. If I had to include all that, this travelogie would not have been possible (no broadband in Sakleshpur as mentioned earlier).

HOWEVER, THERE'S MORE TO COME OF THE TRAVELOGUE!! 2ND PART IS NOT YET UPLOADED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
AP saab, This is one of the best threads I've every came across (along with the couple of bikers in Rajasthan which I'd consider equally great).
Perfect example for stretching something beyond coherence making it bad is the Magnificent Maharashtra Mahalog!

Anyway there's been enough spice about leh here. This log is like Kaas meadows. Blooms for 10 days. But is spoken about for a year!

+1 chandan. Samurai's signature perfectly explains the unreliability of jeeps
Thanks MX6. We hardly saw any jeeps there too.
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:01   #42
BHPian

These videos should give an idea of what Ladakh can be.

chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice photologue. Though the pleasure is not doubled when many of the pictures appear twice ;-)
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapna gurukar View Post
HOWEVER, THERE'S MORE TO COME OF THE TRAVELOGUE!! 2ND PART IS NOT YET UPLOADED.
OOPS!!!

Sorry if my post sounded like rude.
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
OOPS!!!

Sorry if my post sounded like rude.
No No Ashish!! It is a good suggestion and I wish I could include all those details.. Infact we have logged all that too. But unfortunately, the place we live in, Sakleshpur does not have a broadband connection and I have to finish this in 2 days only and that is why this kind of a travelogue.

On a lighter vein, it was one helluva picnic for us!!!