Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th March 2011, 20:33   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Sakleshpur via LADAKH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapna gurukar View Post
The last part of the TL mentions the distance we covered.Anyways, it was 8122 kms in 25 days.The car guzzled 735 litres of petrol worth 41,560.
Thats 11.05kmpl!! Whats the normal mileage your car gives in city and on long drives outside? Guess the uphill climbs would have resulted in different mileage on this trip? Also did you push the pedal to the floor constantly on the highways? Think this would reduce mileage also ...

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 22:54   #92
BHPian

Wow
Amazing Travelogue. What inspires me is that u went to Leh in a low based Car like GETZ.
This should really help me in convincing my wife to go to LEH in our Scorpio for sure ..
The red color GETZ looks amazing in some of the pics . Nice photographs , nice travelogue
Ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 23:59   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilinto View Post
From the many travelogues of leh I have seen, I knew this one was different the moment I glanced through it & saw some of the pictures. ( had not read any part of it till then)
Pictures of the stuck verna, boulders across the road are not something I have seen commonly on travelogues. ( though I see them described in words )
Overall i would say one of the best Leh Travelogue i have come across.
The icing on the cake was to know that the driver was a woman -The Travelogue does not talk how much did each one drove
Your travelogue will surely be an inspiration for many women Drivers.

Could I request some more details ( if you have ) like:
1) A little more details on the Route taken ( you mentioned rajasthan )
2) Day-wise Schedule
3) I dont suppose you saved the GPS tracks ( specifically looking for hotel locations )
Thank you! We really do not know the distance covered by the two of us individually. All I can say is two drivers is a must on such a long and treacherous journey, unless ofcourse you are of HVK Calibre

I do hope it is an inspiration to the women folk!

We did not track the routes on GPS. However, we used AGPS on my cell phone to find directions, mostly inside the cities/ towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Awesome is the word. Great pictures.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
They took the following route:
Bangalore-Hubli-Pune-Bombay-Surat-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Ranakpur-Jodhpur-Bikaner-Sriganganagar-Bhatinda-Amritsar-Pathankot-Dharamsala-Mandi-Manali-Keylong-Jispa-Sarchu-Pang-Upshi-Leh-Kargil-Dras-Sonmarg-Srinagar-Udhampur-Pathankot-Amritsar-Bikaner-Jodhpur-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Baroda-Surat-Bombay-Pune-Belgaum-Hubli-Sakleshpura.

They took overnight halts at Pune, Ahmedabad, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Bikaner, Amritsar, Manali, Jispa, Leh, Desikit, Kargil, Srinagar, Amritsar, Nagaur, Baroda, Hubli.

See Message #30 for details of all the hotels they stayed in en route.
Thanks Kumar!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
sfilinto - Thanks a lot for reviving this thread.

One of the most impressive threads & lot of photographs went onto my Desktop. Wow! awesome photographs.
Most of them continue to adorn our desktops too!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
wow! such a delight watching the getz in the scenic places
cheers sapna and chandan on the awesome trip and a Wonderful travelogue!
the pics are awesome too!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Nice to read your adventure and see the lovely pics!! Please post camera and lens.

and Thanks for the inspiration!!
We used a Canon EOS 400D with basic kit lens and 55-250 zoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Salute to Sapna and Chandan.
I'm simply stunned. Many pics have become my wall papers
Great inspiration to all.
All I can say is Very..Very...Brave Couple.

Thanks,
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Thats 11.05kmpl!! Whats the normal mileage your car gives in city and on long drives outside? Guess the uphill climbs would have resulted in different mileage on this trip? Also did you push the pedal to the floor constantly on the highways? Think this would reduce mileage also ...

--Ragul
Firstly, the car is close to 6 years old now and has completed over a lakh kms. Most of our drives are on the highway. We get around 12.5 kmpl. During the trip, there was a whole lot of difference on the plains and hills as well as the temperature variations resulting in fluctuating FE. Anyways, I think 11.05 kmpl is pretty good average and I am sure Kumar will agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Wow
Amazing Travelogue. What inspires me is that u went to Leh in a low based Car like GETZ.
This should really help me in convincing my wife to go to LEH in our Scorpio for sure ..
The red color GETZ looks amazing in some of the pics . Nice photographs , nice travelogue
Thank you! The Getz is not a low clearance car as perceived by many. We use it regularly in undulating terrains (almost every other day) in Sakleshpur. The kind of stuff this car has done all these years without a hitch is commendable. Of Course, a Scorpio (any SUV for that matter) will be the vehicle of choice for such terrains. All the best with your trip!!!
sapna gurukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 22:48   #94
BHPian

I was bit late to discover this travelogue. I have been surfing thru the countless number of LEH travelogues, and this indeed is a very interesting one. And I am sure you guys must have had a wonderful time. I am hoping to make a trip with my wife and two kids next month. Not sure how far we will make it.
Will it be possible for you to give little more details about the route from Amritsar to Srinagar?
Me and my wife havenít seen much of Northern part of India. So any suggestion for any interesting places to visit in Punjab very much welcome

Anuj
ANUJ GEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 22:41   #95
Senior - BHPian

A great TL. I dunno how I missed it for so long. It gives me the confidence that I can do this i nmy Figo. As advised by you, I will go in for skid plates and a sump protector.

I have scraped the Figo several times on good noida roads.Therefore, I was a bit skeptical about its abilities to endure such terrain.

Great narration with equally good pictures. The quest now bvegins to convince my wife to a) Allow me take this trip & b) Accompany me along with the boys.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:00   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE View Post
I was bit late to discover this travelogue. I have been surfing thru the countless number of LEH travelogues, and this indeed is a very interesting one. And I am sure you guys must have had a wonderful time. I am hoping to make a trip with my wife and two kids next month. Not sure how far we will make it.
Will it be possible for you to give little more details about the route from Amritsar to Srinagar?
Me and my wife havenít seen much of Northern part of India. So any suggestion for any interesting places to visit in Punjab very much welcome

Anuj
From Amritsar, the route to Srinagar is as follows:

Amritsar-NH15-Gurdaspur-Pathankot-NH1A-Madhopur-Kathua-Dyalachak-Jammu-Nagrota-Domel-Udhampur-Patnitop-Banihal-Jawahar Tunnel-Qazigund-Khanabal-Srinagar.
Distance around 475 kms

You can save some distance - and traffic around Jammu - by turning off at Dyalachak and going direct to Udhampur to, saving some 30-50 kms.

You can also go via Jammu and take a detour from Domel to Katra-Vaishnodevi, stop over at Patnitop hell station.

It will be a long drive from Amritsar to Srinagar, and there are no hotel facilities after Banihal till Srinagar, so either you drive in 1 day or stop over at Patnitop on the way. If you want to go to Pahalgam direct, then you can turn off at Khanabal.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 17:01   #97

This is pretty thrilling!!! The way you narrated the whole trip is awesome. We are planning one this Monsoon from Banglore...
DM&Beast is offline   Reply With Quote