Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th August 2010, 23:09   #1
BHPian

Default Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist

“It’s 10:45pm; left Gurgaon at 6:45pm to catch the 10.20pm train... guess where am I now!! Dhaula Kuah! Rain and this Delhi traffic...Now I missed the train, trekking plan dropped. Now I have 5 days of leave... Don’t know what to do now. Anybody has any bright idea... Oh yeah… right now I am praying to catch Spain vs. Germany... Hope...” That’s how my facebook update came up on 7th July, 2010!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-traffic-jam.jpg
Long planned my trekking to Valley of Flowers grounded due downpour in NCR on 7th July and heavy Delhi traffic after that. A week of leaves spoiled, could not find anyone to accompany for an alternate road trip. Frustration, all the time spent playing games and watching last season of LOST! Leaves over, joined office, but desperately wanted get out of city culture; planning for a weekend trip to Almora or Lansdowne. Came to know Shubhodip is planning for Mussorie, I was already been to there, also commercialized hill station don’t fascinate me much either. Few discussion and we are settled for Lansdowne. 4 of us and we will take Shubhodip’s Swift. So we are all set for Lansdowne on Saturday, 17th July.
Thursday night, got a call! One more addition, 5 now; Shubhodip, Kushal, Dibya, Abhijit and me. Swift will be little cramp, so Fiesta in. 3 of us from Gurgaon and other 2 will be picked from Noida.

Friday evening passed looking into google maps (I don’t believe my MapMyIndia GPS). We will be taking:

Gurgaon - Noida - Ghaziabad – Meerut – Bijnore – Najibabad - Kotdwar – Dugadda – Lansdowne

Accommodation? Like most of my trips nothing is booked! Though, we looked into GMVN site and other hotels. Also, we called Hotel Oak Grove Inn, just to confirm the vacancies.

TGIF night and how can I miss the first day show of Tere Bin Laden! That’s left me with 4hours sleep before cranking the engine!

Zzzzz...
hridayjyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 23:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ok, enough of the teasers already, get going. Lovely snap, but a horrible mess though.
sachinj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 23:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Ok, enough of the teasers already, get going. Lovely snap, but a horrible mess though.
Working on GPRS net. so photo loading will take a hell lot of time. Please bear with it.

That was the worst traffic jam I've ever faced. Literally nothing was moving at all.
Old 10th August 2010, 01:27   #4
BHPian

Before the Sun wakes up, we started for Lansdowne on Saturday morning from Gurgaon at 4:00AM. Took the Mehrauli – Badarpur Road and we are in Noida by 5:00AM. Top up the tank full and picked Dibya and Abhijit.

By the time we left Noida, it already 5:45AM and set GPS to Lansdowne as destination. Soon we hit NH-58 in Ghaziabad, don’t ask about the traffic. It’s a 4 lane highway full of bullock-carts, tractors, Jugaads leave apart brake-lightless trucks, buses, and road owners (yes! I am talking about tempos and bikers).

It took us half an hour to complete the stretch of Ghaziabad. It’s 6:30 now and now gradually our stomach asking for some fuel. It was too early to get into a dhaba, presumably more dhabas are expected ahead so we marshed ahead. By 7:15AM we get into Meerut, and my GPS did exectly what I was expecting. Took me into a Mandi with narrow kaccha roads, thela and all, seriously someday I am going to trash it into pieces. After little hurdle, we managed to hit back to the highway again.

We took right turn on the NH119 from Meerut. It is a single-lane highway, but much better than NH58. Very less traffic and I was easily cruising at 100kmph for long stretches.

8:00AM, we were supposed get into a dhaba for breakfast. Suddenly we realised our mistake, we should have get into one before Meerut and now it’s too late. At 8:30AM we saw a dhaba in Behsuma, and immediately pull up my car. More disappointment, it was too early for them, only tea available! Good news!! Lots of dhabas available in Binjor and Kiratpur.

Morning Tea!!!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3711.jpg

NH119: Nice single Lane highway
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3713.jpg

9:30AM we finally managed our breakfast before Kiratpur. Now, recharged and ready to go. Leaving early help us to take lots of breaks on route.

Somewhere between Binjor and Najibabad
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3717.jpg

Everything went fine till we get to Najibabad, roads were good, indeed very good. All of a sudden, there is no way ahead! A flyover construction is in progress and we have take an alternate road. Before entering Najibabad there is small road on the left that meets the Najibabad-Haridwar road. We got lucky to follow a bus and didn’t get lost. After that everything went fine. The hilly road starts from Kotdwara, road condition is good except for few patches.

Road to Clouds!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-dsc_2854.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-dsc_2853.jpg

12:30PM, finally we were at Lansdowne. I bet this is a place to fall in love at first sight! Now we need to find a good accommodation. Did not like the hotels at the market area, too crowdy. Tried GMVN guest house and Fairy Dale Hotel both were full. With no options in hand we played our final card, called Oak Grove Inn. And Hurray! We got our accommodation. Oak Grove Inn is in a secluded place Jaiharikhal, 5kms away from Lansdowne.

2:30PM, checked into Oak Grove. I would say it was a blessing in disguise! Location of the hotel is just amazing and it has nice hangout place on the cliff of the hill. It's a cozy little place with about 10 rooms. The owners, Colonel Vikram Rawat and his wife, live in a house adjacent to the hotel.

Dining room
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3856.jpg
Leisure Time
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3784.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3749.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3782.jpg
Archi..
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-dsc_2953.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-dsc_2877.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-dsc_2976.jpg
Trying Macro!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3746.jpg

We had our lunch in the hotel itself and all went for a relaxing nap. The weather was so good that we spent our rest of the day in the hotel itself. Gone for walk in evening and while coming back bought a set of playing cards and we are back to college days!

Evening Walk
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3813.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3795.jpg

To be continued..
Attached Thumbnails
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-dsc_2836.jpg  

Last edited by hridayjyoti : 10th August 2010 at 01:31. Reason: photo attachement
hridayjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 09:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

The pictures of the mist/cloud covering the area gives an enchanted look to this place. Definitely worth a visit to relax.

Also kindly check as the pics in your last post have not uploaded

Thanks
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 10:00   #6
BHPian

Sunday morning
Nobody was in a mood of leaving the cozy bed. Around 9:30AM we are all out of bed and had a good breakfast! We planned leave by 11 and a visit to Gharwal Rifles War Memorial on the card. Time passes like a fly when old friends meet together, and before we realise it was already 12:00. War Memorial dropped, we will just drove by the town.

Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3874.jpg

Captured in 35mm, kudos to Shubhodip
Attachment 403159

Babe of the trip!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-dsc_2959.jpg

Yashwant Dwar
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3959.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3962.jpg

Mist coming down, the following 2 photos are taken in less than a minute!

Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3944.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3947.jpg
At around 2pm, we started our journey way back home. Once again we made lots of stops en-route.

Toll Plaza! Per person Rs 1

Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3903.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3959.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	403198

Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-dsc_3036.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_3911.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-dsc_3061.jpg

We were planned to take bath in the stream, expecting the water to be cool. but it turns out to be rather warm, so no point of wetting our cloths!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_4009.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_4019.jpg
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-_mg_4029.jpg

We missed turn to Haridwar in Najibabad, when we asked a Balero driver, he show us a narrow tarmac road that leads to the road to Meerut. After 1 km the road ends up in a loose unrolled gravel strip. Narrow road left us with no other option, but to drive ahead. Bottom of my car got scraped a couple of time.

We got heavy traffic from Meerut onward to Ghaziabad. Dropped friends off in Noida and we finally hit Gurgaon at 11pm.

Quick stats:
Total distance: 625kms
Petrol : 50litre
Hotel Oak Grove Inn: INR 1700/- per room
Cumulative Cost: INR 7600/- (1800 per head)

P.S. mods, please delete the repeated post.
hridayjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 10:03   #7
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Nice photos. Do put the Gps Track and the distance for reference. Lansdowne can be planned as weekend getway. Also do share the contact details of hotel too.

I am hooked to this log.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 11:41   #8
BHPian

Nice photos, which camera (can see a couple of DSLRs in the pics)
TSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 11:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Crisp Travelogue & nice pics

Yes, 7th July was a nightmare, wasn't it. Btw, please request the Mods to edit the caption of the pic in your first post - reads 7th June instead of July.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 12:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Nice photos. Do put the Gps Track and the distance for reference. Lansdowne can be planned as weekend getway. Also do share the contact details of hotel too.

I am hooked to this log.
Thanks. No doubt Lansdowne is an perfect weekend destination. It is more of a destination for couples. I would recommend 2 night stay over there. There are not too many activities there but one can go and relax, have some precious moments. I will definitely go atleast one more time (not with a single relationship status!!)

Talking about GPS track, frankly saying I never give a try to take out them. But, feels like time has come, I will definitely put them here. But currently I am in the field in Rajasthan for the rest of month, so I will try to post it as soon as i get back to gurgaon.

Here is the contact of Oak Grove Inn.

Oak Grove Inn, Jaiharikhal, Lansdowne,
Email: rawatbik@yahoo.com
Mobile: +91-9412934858 or +91-9410948282
Phone: +91-1386-262359

They also got webpage: Oak Grove Inn
Old 10th August 2010, 12:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Nice photos, which camera (can see a couple of DSLRs in the pics)
Thanks TSEA. Actually we had three DSLRs. but, I have only photos of two. Canon 450D/Rebel XSi (mine) and Nikon 50D (subhodip's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Crisp Travelogue & nice pics

Yes, 7th July was a nightmare, wasn't it. Btw, please request the Mods to edit the caption of the pic in your first post - reads 7th June instead of July.
Thanks suman. Yes, 7th July was a real nightmare, but I escaped from getting nightmare as Spain won over Germany and lighten my grief!

I put that caption on 7th July itself and posted on facebook too and also get comments on it, but nobody (of course including me) had seen what you spotted! i doubt whether it can be changed as it is embedded in the photo. thanks for correcting me.
Old 11th August 2010, 14:26   #12
BHPian

I got the photos of the 3rd camera today. all photo courtesy: abhijit.

Stressing feet after long drive to get this dhaba for morning breakfast!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-sressing-after-bf.jpg

5rupees toll on this dam/bridge over Ganges
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-ganges.jpg

One of the many stops, this two are before Kotdwar.
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-one-many-stops.jpg

Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-before-kotdwar.jpg

Man @ work, just before the entering Lansdowne
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-man-work.jpg

A view from Fairy Dale Resort. this snap was taken when we were looking for accommodation there.
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-views-fairy-dale-resort.jpg

Jaiharikhal Village!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-jaiharikhal.jpg

Oak Grove Inn
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-oak-grove-inn.jpg

Good old LML Vespa...Gliding the curves!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-glide.jpg

Different camera, so different view
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-different-angle.jpg

Get me hunted too!!!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-hunted.jpg

Wait for more. Vista on it's way...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oak grove inn.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	403854
Old 11th August 2010, 22:57   #13
BHPian

Last photos...

abhijit had gone for a little hike in the afternoon..
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-road-wonder.jpg

Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-where-leads-us.jpg

Wish I could see these landscape every morning!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-vista.jpg

Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-vista2.jpg

Taking those mighty curves at night
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-nightcurve.jpg

Spotted and framed
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-reptile.jpg

Friends!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-friend.jpg

Time to say bye with promise to come back!
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-team.jpg

Cheers!!
Old 12th August 2010, 14:07   #14
BHPian

Hello guys,
Really nice pics. Loved the place, heard the name for the first time actually.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 15:44   #15
BHPian

@hridayjyoti - Very nice short trip. The pics are too cool, specially the ones with mist. And Iam sure the place is fun to be at.
CrankShaft05 is offline   Reply With Quote