Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th August 2010, 21:00   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar
What a traveller! Central Kerala (Kalady) to Sringeri (Karnataka), Dwaraka, Srinagar and Badrinath, all before he was 32 years old. A feat which most even today can only aspire for.

A Sankara mission would be a great theme for a drive across India!

Aadi Shankara was Jagadguru, he showed the path to millions of people.
most important he himself was clear of the path, It is indeed a benchmark for all young people who remain frog in the well and often fear even to go to the nearby town on their own.
'
Thanks MX6, for the pictures, i liked the night shots from the balcony and your room, as well as the pictures taken inside the cave.

thanks for sharing this story.

StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 21:54   #62
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You are welcome StarVB

Here's the view when coming out of the Gupha.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-random-1.jpg

The seat of King Mandhata.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-mandhata.jpg

I have another 60 photos. Will upload 10 - 15 of them tomorrow. Pics of Mamaleshwar temple, Narmada Dam, Omkareshwar (Mandhata) island, some wildlife and some wide angle shots of Narmada.
I'll also put up the trip logs tomorrow along with the road conditions and cost involved in this trip.
So this log should be over tomorrow.

Thanks all for following this log and thanks people who have been gracious to hit the rating button.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 23:49   #63
Team-BHP Support

Good one MX! Snaps are really nice.
My parents did Ujjain last year. I am yet to go to the place.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 09:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Me too liked the night shots very much; somehow all your long distance shots are awesome with excellent clarity than the regular ones. Are you have a regular P&S or some DSLR type?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 10:46   #65
Joy
BHPian

Very good night shots. I have just one complaint, you are very good at putting historical background of the place but you somewhat ignored that here.

5* from my side.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 11:13   #66
BHPian

Smile

MX6,

Thank you so much for taking us through this wonderful holy land and showing us the history . A place every one must visit. Sure will refer to this travelogue when I plan to visit.

Incredible India!

Oops forgot to rate it... 5* from my side.

Last edited by Indian Ranger : 13th August 2010 at 11:15. Reason: To rate the thread
Indian Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 11:16   #67
BHPian

Great Travelogue and I definitley ROFLed about adventure with the blocking Shiva. . Very informative and good research.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 11:17   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Are you have a regular P&S or some DSLR type?
MS is using a PENTAX DSLR, very old one but very effective which he bought 10 years back. But he has got variety of lens for it .

MS correct me if I am wrong.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:00   #69
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good one MX! Snaps are really nice.
My parents did Ujjain last year. I am yet to go to the place.
You should ampere. Ujjain is best during winter months. I intend to do this trip in winter again, but without taking my car through narrow alleys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Me too liked the night shots very much; somehow all your long distance shots are awesome with excellent clarity than the regular ones. Are you have a regular P&S or some DSLR type?
This trip, I've used the DSLR extensively. Most often on the fly, I just click using a small P&S. Photography was a passion for me some years back. Driving scores over everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Very good night shots. I have just one complaint, you are very good at putting historical background of the place but you somewhat ignored that here.

5* from my side.
Thanks for the rating Joy. I wanted to keep info to minimum so that I can complete the log quickly. I have over 25000 photos and around 3 lakh kms of driving in last 5 years. Facts will continue on other threads where people are kind enough to let me add to their wonderful travelogues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
MX6,

Thank you so much for taking us through this wonderful holy land and showing us the history . A place every one must visit. Sure will refer to this travelogue when I plan to visit.

Incredible India!

Oops forgot to rate it... 5* from my side.
Thanks again for the rating Indian. India is a holy land. We have some amazing temples, churches, mosques and gurudwaras. Not to forget the great jain and budhist temples too. Instead of just seeing them from a pilgrims point of view, if one looks at it from art, architecture and history perspective, they are filled with awe about their glorious past! Please go ahead. I have more info which I can send across when you plan this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Great Travelogue and I definitley ROFLed about adventure with the blocking Shiva. . Very informative and good research.
Thanks KRRaj. If you see the movie Thiruviayadal, Sivaji ganesan says this dialogue many times, "Ummodu vilayadave yaam vandom" (I came down to take you for a friendly ride). So when I moved out of Ujjain, I could hear in my mind Sivaji Ganesan saying that dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
MS is using a PENTAX DSLR, very old one but very effective which he bought 10 years back. But he has got variety of lens for it .

MS correct me if I am wrong.
6 year old entry level DSLR from pentax. Couple of lenses are around 15 years now. Have to get them cleaned at a proper service centre. The wide angle lens is the latest addition. 2.5 years old. Hence the wide angle photos are crisp. Stock lens that came with DSLR is also 6 years and that needs a bit of cleaning too.
My DSLR is the first digital offering in SLR space from Pentax. Was thinking between D40 and this one. I went with this as I had couple other lenses of my older pentax slr (which I don't use now) almost 15 years now.

I'm a huge pentax fan. I bought a point and shoot while in UK for 70 gbp. That's like click click click. 80% of the photos are taken by that camera. Once my baby grows up a bit, I intend to give her this point and shoot and take my DSLR more seriously.

Thanks all again for the ratings and appreciation. Shortly I shall upload photos of the beautiful Mamaleshwar temple.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:04   #70
Senior - BHPian

@mx,

nice narration about blocking your road by shiva!!!

edited advise/request by me,
'' Don't be too adventurous during day time or night time on your drives with family,
too much rely on satnav may be injurious to your car's health''.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
One day there was a conversation going on in my house.
Father: I'd like to visit
Me: I'll take you
Mother: Shall we go there?
Me: Yes, we can do that.
Mother: Like what?
Me: Remember
Mother: Some inaccessible place near
Me: There's nothing inaccessible in that. We can very well go. I'll take you.
Father: But that's very far.
Me: Yeah.
Father irritated. Mother elated. I'm rolling around laughing.
Something like this conversation happened at my home few days back and planning for dwarka started.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:07   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Shortly I shall upload photos of the beautiful Mamaleshwar temple.
I have heard that this temple is from the 10th century temple has got some fine ancient architectural stone work ?
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:21   #72
Senior - BHPian

A little OT about an incident in my childhood regarding the tempo on page 4, hope you don't mind MX6.

I remember seeing one (still fresh in my memory) when I was in my second grade & was travelling with my Father in his cycle. I heard a peculiar noise of vehicle acceleration, something like "tuff tuff" & looked to see this vehicle on my left side carrying goods was going on. I asked my Dad, what's that vehicle? I intended to ask the brand name; my Dad said, "its a tempo". Since then I always assumed that the brand of the vehicle is "Tempo" until I spotted a real "Tempo Traveller" & thought they transformed from that look to the modern day look.

Though I always wanted to find out the make of it, I was unable to do until a few until a few minutes ago; your post had given me the urge to find that out. Its called Hanseat, a German make I guess.

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo_(car)

PS - The above incident of mine has provoked me to teach my Son about the brand as well as the type of vehicle. Few days back when my Son asked me what make of car, I said, "Its Maruti Suzuki Swift D'zire; its made by Maruti Suzuki & the model is D'Zire & its a Diesel variant because of VDi"

Sorry about the OT

Last edited by aargee : 13th August 2010 at 12:22.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:51   #73
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Some history due to Public demand.

Vindhya (lord of the vindhya range) was very proud and Narada wanted to teach him a lesson in humility. So Narada was talking great praises about the mighty himalayas and most importantly Kailas. He said that Kailas is mightier and that's why Shiva and Shakti are getting married in Kailas and not Vindhya.
Vindhya prayed to Shiva for long due to which Shiva appeared as Mamaleshwara and granted him a boon. Due to the boon Vindhya became high and mighty and started growing at an alarming rate.
Now due to the wedding in Kailas, the whole of the universe congregated there and because of the collective weight, the northern part started sinking and the south rising up.
So all the gods were worried.
Shiva said that one person needs to go to the south to balance the weight. When asked who is that one mighty person who is equivalent to the rest of the universe, Shiva called for Sage Agastya.
Sage Agastya was downcast as going south means missing out on Shiva and Shakti's wedding. But he took it as his prime motive in life because it was shiva who asked him to go south.
Now when Agastya came across vindhyas, he was surprised to see the vindhyas high and mighty, blocking his way (rings a bell?)
When Agastya requested to be given way, Vindhya without even seeing who was there haughtily responded that he will not bow down.
Agastya being very short told him that the humble and meek will rule the world and the haughty will perish.
Immediately Agastya grew bigger than everything and the vindhyas were reduced to the ground.
Vindhya realised his folly and fell at Agastya's feet, who blessed him to what he was before at first. So vindhya stopped growing.
Agastya went south to bring back balance in the universe. Shiva and Shakti got married.
Agastya is credited to have written the grammar for Tamil. He has had a duel with Ravana as well on the veena where he defeats him (again thanks to Narada's leela). Agastya is also supposed to have imprisoned the Haughty Ponni river in his Kamandalu (what's with sage's kamandalas and rampaging rivers?)
With South going dry and no one wanting to Antagonize Agastya, Ganesha took the form of a crow (kaakka, Kaa, Kaagam in tamil) to topple Agastya's kamandalu, thereby releasing the river.
Agastya was aghast to find the crow transforming to a boy. He angrily goes to rap the boy's head with his knuckles, asking who the boy is (pillai yaar - who is the boy), only to realise it's ganesha himself. To atone his sin, he raps his own head with his knuckles, which has become a practice in south, especially TN. All people praying to ganesha will rap their own head with their knuckles. And ganesha was called Pillaiyaar in tn because of Agastya.
Due to a crow releasing the river, the river came to be known as Kaa (crow) viri (spreading) or Kaviri or cauvery. Thanks to Narada's leela of teaching a lesson to vindhyas, we have a holy river flowing south of vindhyas and a jyotirlinga called Mamaleshwara in Vindhya range!
Now Mamaleshwar is supposed to be how the locals could pronounce amareshwar - the lord of immortality. Since vindhyas were blessed with eternity, the lord shiva is called amareshwar.
But Mamaleshwar is also a compound tamil word. I might be wrong in this analysis (it's my own analysis)
Mamaleshwar can be split as Maa + Mala(i) + eashwar.
Maa means huge or big.
Mala or malai means mountain.
Eashwar is god.
So mamalaeshwar can also stand for the lord of the mighty mountains which is shiva blessing the vindhyas to be high and mighty like the himalayas themselves.
The mamaleshwar temple is 1000 years old. It has some of the most beautiful sculptures I've seen (only next to avudaiyar koil sculptures in tamil nadu which I rank as the best I've seen till now). The linga there is swayambhu.
Hope you guys are happy now

@AP. Point taken. Will be less adventurous in day time also.
@aargee. That's interesting about tempo.

Last edited by MX6 : 13th August 2010 at 12:53.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6
Now when Agastya came across vindhyas, he was surprised to see the vindhyas high and mighty, blocking his way (rings a bell?)
When Agastya requested to be given way, Vindhya without even seeing who was there haughtily responded that he will not bow down.
But there's altogether a different version on this

When Agastya came to Vindhyas, he wanted to cross & he being short & not so strong, he requested Vindhyas to lower the height until he goes to South & get backs to North. Vindhyas was humble to lower itself. Agasthya crossed Vindhyas & never returned to North making Vindhyas to stay at the same size for ever.

Edit - On a hunch, I googled to find some more info
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agastya..._about_Agastya
- http://www.gurusfeet.com/guru/rishi-agastya

Last edited by aargee : 13th August 2010 at 13:29.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:40   #75
MX6
Senior - BHPian

If vindhya was humble, he'd not have prayed to shiva to be bigger than the mighty himalayas!
Yes, Agastya never returned north. He's supposed to have set up his ashram in Srisailam. There's also Agastyar koodam near Trivandrum, in south. There's also Agastyar falls near Tirunelveli, papanasam. There's also Agasteeswaram near Kanyakumari.
So the other version could also be true. Agastya is perceived as the most humble person in the whole world.
Incidentally, there's also a hillock near Talacauvery, called Brahmagiri, where Agastya is believed to be there still doing penance. He's supposed to have installed the shivalingam there.
All these versions add spice. Finally, these are all interpretations by various sages.
May be Tiruvalluvar took a cue from Agastya's humility and Vindhya's haughtiness when he wrote the Kural
Adakkam amararul uikkum adangamai
Aarirul uithu vidum

Humility puts you amongst the greatest, Haughtiness will push you to extreme darkness! (a crass translation).

Vindhya is also supposed to have had immense respect for Agastya as per the other version, due to which he condescended and stopped growing till Agastya returned back. But Agastya never went back!

Incidentally, talking of Agastya, do you know he was the first test tube baby?
They also call him Kudamuni because he was born in a kudam or a vessel that people down south use to fetch water!

Last edited by MX6 : 13th August 2010 at 13:43.