Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th August 2010, 16:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

Oh god, MX6, you are one hell of a person. You can narrate history in your threads, you can narrate history in others threads, you can quote Kural, you can understand Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi and more. You love driving cars. You take good photographs. And it seems you know geography too!!

Am forced to ask the same question Owen Wilson asked Jackie Chan in Shanghai Noon "Who are you??"
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 16:59   #77
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@mallumowgli. Just a sidekick
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 17:37   #78
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Here are select photos of Mamaleshwar temple.

Small temples in front - each having a shiva lingam. Main Jyotirlinga in the temple to the left (not in pic) the temple on right is locked and houses various statues that's found there.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-mamaleshwar-1.jpg

Intricately carved pillars that were more like relief from the stone wall in the old locked temple. No prayers are offered here on regular basis. Used as storing place for statues.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-mamaleshwar-2.jpg

Inside the old locked temple. There seems to have been a puja to the shivalingam inside sometime early in the morning. Have a look at the other sculptures, especially that of the turtle. I was blocking the only source of light in there.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-mamaleshwar-3.jpg

Mamaleshwar jyotirlinga temple left view. Imposing structure for a 1000 year old temple.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-mamaleshwar-4.jpg

Front view of Mamaleshwar temple. One has to look through, between the Nandi's ears. That's what I attempted. It's got the perfect ambience. People relaxing after darshan. Pandit browsing threw a newspaper. That's all the crowd we had at this amazing Jyotirlinga.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-mamaleshwar-5.jpg

Up next. How sundar is Sundara?
Old 13th August 2010, 18:50   #79
BHPian

Just not able to follow the thread in detail due to hectic activities at workplace. It needs time to go through these pages closely as they are written by YOU, shall visit the thread soon. Keep posting..

PS: Just see what mullumougli has said and asked above! I totally agree with that and asking same question! The answer you gave is not acceptable at al..

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 13th August 2010 at 18:53.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 19:39   #80
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That's very kind of you LDL.

Here's a grand view of the Mamleshwar temple. I love my primitive DSLR
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-mamaleshwar.jpg

Here's the cosmic dance of Shiva. Most often he's associated with Rudratandava. This is more of shringara in the dance than roudra.
I've not seen such a beautiful depiction of a dancing shiva till now, Ofcourse, we have him as the Nataraja in Chidambaram and Madurai (where he incidentally switches his legs). This one shows Shiva as Sundara.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-cosmic-dance-1.jpg

Up next - Gopalakrishna Bharati's ode to Nataraja!
Old 13th August 2010, 20:08   #81
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Gopalakrishna Bharati sang this song in praise of Nataraja's cosmic dance - the Ananda tandava in Chidambaram temple. No other piece of work comes close to expressing the beauty, majesty and the authority with which Shiva dances.
The song is set to the Raag Vasantha - what a choice of Raag for a beautiful composition! Vasantham in Tamil means season of spring!
The poor translation reads like this.
He danced! In a very stylish manner, on a golden stage, he danced with joy!
As promised to the great sages in the north Kailasa,
He danced in Chidambaram in the month of Thai on the day of poosam in the day time.
With the eight directions trembling (gidu gidu is a figure of speech to show how the land trmbled)
With the Shesh Naag's head shivering (Shedan as referred in Tamil - Can mean any of these, It can mean Shesh naag. This can also denote the demon at his leg and also ignorance, which shiva is supposed to smote to dust when he dances!)
With the whole universe shaking, and drops of ganges falling (from his matted locks),
With the golden god (can even relate to sun or shiva himself) celebrating,
With liking, Gopalakrishna singing along, (could mean the composer as his stamp or even Vishnu himself singing for Shiva's cosmic dance),
His matted locks dance and the snakes that adorn his body also quiver and dance,
With sound emanating due to his dance, sounds like Tham, tham thom!
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-cosmic-dance-2.jpg
Have a look at the close up of the photo. Click to enlarge.

Look at the posture of shiva. His head tilted leading to a few drops of ganges falling from his locks!. Look at the way he holds the snake in his nimble fingers and that seems to quiver and dance too!
And in one hand he plays the damaru for taal as he swirls around dancing.
In one hand he carries the bhiksha patra or moreso the fire, and with the rest he carries weapons
One feet is firmly planted on the ground and with the other he smotes the demon of ignorance.
Nandi and Parvati too stand and enjoy the great cosmic dance of shiva.
And I'm amazed at the proportions of the statue! I'm amazed as to how lifelike the statue has been made! Look at the ear lobe of Shiva for instance!
Our art and architecture were unparalleled 1000s of years back!
Old 13th August 2010, 21:10   #82
Joy
BHPian

Now, this is typical MX6 class. Lots of info accompanied by great photography. Love this.

Thanks mate for providing the historical background.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 22:47   #83
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Joy. Thanks. I'm flattered.

We had to say bye to Mamaleshwar too. I wanted to drive up to the dam and get some view from there.
I realised that I'm not the only visitor there at Mamaleshwar.

Look at those two guys. They had a nice time prancing around. Can you see the small head at the end?
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-pilgrims-4.jpg

This one's for you AP. Vaanar and Lingam
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-pilgrims-1.jpg

The bull, the goat and the monkeys. The goat proceeded cautiously to Nandi. He was waiting. When the monkeys snatched the bananas and flowers from the Nandi, the goat joined too eating off the leaves.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-pilgrims-2.jpg

Then someone tried to shoo away them. The poor got got a thrashing. But the monkeys fled!
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-pilgrims-3.jpg
Old 13th August 2010, 22:49   #84
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't give one more star @MX6. All the pics are terribly superb; amazing clarity & beautifully captured. Did you process them? If not, then pls don't exchange your camera, they're doing more than marvelous job.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 23:01   #85
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@aargee. Had to do some contrast adjustment of the photos. I wont be changing my camera for another 5 years. Thanks for the compliments. I hope I can complete this log before hitting the sack tonight.
But my lenses need cleaning.
Old 13th August 2010, 23:28   #86
MX6
Senior - BHPian

We drove up to the dam site. We could clearly see Narmada splitting in two and creating the island that's shaped like Aum. Ofcourse, for seeing the shape of aum, one needs to take a helicopter ride I guess.

The glistening waters of Narmada
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-dam-1.jpg

Aum island - see the Narmada splitting in two. At the extreme left one can see Omkareshwar temple and the suspension bridge.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-dam-2.jpg

Leh'd? Nope. Narmada'd. Yes, there are stones arranged like this here as well!
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-dam-3.jpg

Omkaram Mamaleshwaram
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-dam-4.jpg

The route to Parikrama. Take a dip in the ghat below and climb the steps. Aum Narmadehar is written on the hill. One can see Shiva looking the other way at the top. Walk across the whole of the Aum hill and get off at the other end and come back to Omkareshwar temple. Takes 3 hours for the healthy.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-parikrama.jpg

We went back to our room and we had breakfast (complimentary till 10 am). Amazing Aloo parathas were served with pickles (thank god no jalebis). We checked out by 11 am and drove back to the ghats. From the car park, the ghats were a bit of a climb down!

Up next. Last set of photos - the Bewitching Narmada ghats.
Old 13th August 2010, 23:35   #87
Joy
BHPian

@ MX6: the first picture resembles you. Why? Not stable, always in search of new places and history.

By the way, checked your profile. How come an IT professional has so much knowledge in history??? They should be involved in algorithms and debugging.

Sorry, if I heart your sentiments (regarding the first sentence).

Go on, Mate. I m loving it.
Old 13th August 2010, 23:50   #88
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Joy: Which first picture?
Stability is to be associated with the mind. I'm a free spirit. And I didn't learn history. I experienced it by travelling far and wide (thanks to the IT field)! Algorithms and debugging are things of the past. Now I plan and execute!

I still didn't get the first sentence.
Old 14th August 2010, 00:13   #89
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@Joy: Which first picture?
Stability is to be associated with the mind. I'm a free spirit. And I didn't learn history. I experienced it by travelling far and wide (thanks to the IT field)! Algorithms and debugging are things of the past. Now I plan and execute!

I still didn't get the first sentence.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...pilgrims-4.jpg

This is what I am talking about. Always thinking, where to go and what to do?

Anyway, being myself involved in IT, I think its your credit that you want to explore get the Indian history more.

So, now you are into planning. Hmmm... that makes sense. Always planning for a new historical place.

Great enthusiasm.

Do keep it up. And do remember MX6 travelogue without some background is like a soup without salt and pepper.

Sorry, poor English.
Old 14th August 2010, 00:28   #90
MX6
Senior - BHPian

If you want to equate me to a monkey, fine, but I'm rather like the last pic. I'm not always thinking where to go and what do to. I'm always going somewhere and doing something

Thanks for the credit.