Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th August 2010, 01:02   #91
MX6
Senior - BHPian

It was 11 and was sweltering when we got off the car. And we saw a nice juice stall that looked very inviting.
When we went in, to our dismay we found that there was no electricity.
But the owner asked us what we wanted. When I told him that we wanted Orange juice, he immediately sent his employee to get diesel for the genset, cranked it and prepared three glasses of juice for us.
We ordered and had 3 more!
Then began the climb down to the ghats. We had over 50 steps to climb down and most of them were as high as two steps! My mother climbed down in an adventurous mood (like son - like mother) and she found climbing back after 30 mins was the toughest for her.
It took her 15 mins to go down and 45 mins to climb back up.
I used much of her climbing up time to frame some shots.
Posting few of them here.

The last set of photos of this log - Narmada ghats!

People take the boats across from this ghat to go to Omkareshwar.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-ghats-1.jpg

Many such statues were strewn around on those ghat steps!
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-ghats-2.jpg

The holy ablution. One lone perso cupping his hands and praying to Narmada caught my attention. Darkened this photo deliberately using APS.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-ghats-3.jpg

Old concrete bridge which people used to walk across. I was immesenly tempted to get in the river and swim across. But then AshishPallod will beat me up!
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-ghats-4.jpg

Emerald green waters of Narmada
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-ghats-5.jpg

All the boats were moored on either ends.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-ghats-6.jpg

We couldn't take the boat across because that monday the oarsmen had their day off.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-ghats-7.jpg

Team-BHP approved Madhushala - serves only Lassi, Rasna and Shrikhand.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-ghats-8.jpg

Just tried a Laluks type of crazy image processing. Didn't want to make it too artificial. I kind of like this one.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-ghats-9.jpg

We returned to our car and started driving. The route to be taken back home was through Burhanpur - Raver - Jalgaon - Ajanta - Aurangabad - Ahmednagar - Pune.
Incidentally that was the day it rained 98 mm in 1 hour in Pune! 14th June.

Up next - return journey details - Trip logs - cost involved and road conditions!
Sorry folks, will put those up tomorrow.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 10:57   #92
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
If you want to equate me to a monkey, fine, but I'm rather like the last pic. I'm not always thinking where to go and what do to. I'm always going somewhere and doing something

Thanks for the credit.
Extremely sorry, if I hurt you. Just joking.

Keep up the spirit so that we can see (through you) many more places of India. Good luck and Happy driving.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 11:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

@mx,
man, after reading this travelogue, i have made my mind to add this place in the Dwarka trip in Nov,
it will be surprise to my parents.
I have to reschedule the whole trip now.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 12:13   #94
Senior - BHPian

Hi MX6,

good pictures there, and some good anecdotes or background info associated with the place.

I particularly liked the pictures of the bathing ghats overlooking the bridge and temples in the background as well as flying money (i know it is difficult to capture).
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 12:22   #95
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Extremely sorry, if I hurt you. Just joking.

Keep up the spirit so that we can see (through you) many more places of India. Good luck and Happy driving.
You will get to see Joy. Not just India, many more countries as well. Thanks for following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@mx,
man, after reading this travelogue, i have made my mind to add this place in the Dwarka trip in Nov,
it will be surprise to my parents.
I have to reschedule the whole trip now.
AP saab, it would be a good idea to roll in this place and Ujjain as well.
You can drive from Baramati to Aurangabad, then to Jalgaon, Burhanpur, Sanawad - Omkareshwar. From Omkareshwar you can proceed to Ujjain.

Then from Indore, you can move directly to Ahmedabad.
When at Burhanpur, do try visiting the shiva temple near the fort. I missed it. Only last week I was reading somewhere that Ashwattama prayed to Shiva in this temple and got a boon. Guess what boon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi MX6,

good pictures there, and some good anecdotes or background info associated with the place.

I particularly liked the pictures of the bathing ghats overlooking the bridge and temples in the background as well as flying money (i know it is difficult to capture).
Yeah. The monkeys were damn quick. I knew that they'd jump from one temple to another, so waited on this. Prized catch. Thanks for your appreciation.

The trip logs are being extracted from my garmin and cleansed. So will take a longer time to upload. Please hold on till evening!
Old 14th August 2010, 12:30   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can drive from Baramati to Aurangabad, then to Jalgaon, Burhanpur, Sanawad - Omkareshwar. From Omkareshwar you can proceed to Ujjain.
It will be really trouble for my parents to travel so much in the car.
I will opt for train journey and working for the same.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 00:11   #97
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Trip logs with pictorial representation of the Altitudes as well! Also I've put in the timings and average speed for each leg.

Timings and average speed
Name:  Timings.jpg
Views: 5085
Size:  48.5 KB

Nagar road to SH60 near Shani Shingnapur is a wonderful road. I could cruise around 80 - 90 most part. The toll plazas are a damning place though. Once we cross Koregaon Bheema one can floor. Watch for two wheelers and tractors on most of this stretch.
Name:  Nagar road to SH 60 near Shani Shingnapur.JPG
Views: 1892
Size:  36.7 KB

SH60 to Shanishingnapur is terrible on a Saturday, especially if the day happens to be Shani Jayanti. Nothing more to explain!
Name:  SH60 to Shani Shingnapur.JPG
Views: 1297
Size:  38.0 KB

The exit was better. Still a lot to improve.
Name:  Shani Shingnapur to SH60.JPG
Views: 822
Size:  37.1 KB

Here we were on the look out for veggie dhabas. So was going around a max speed of 40 kph!
Name:  SH60 to Breakfast place.JPG
Views: 706
Size:  36.3 KB

Again some exellent roads. And a nice climb towards the end. Satnav takes me beyond Kultabad for Grishneshwar. I had reached end of a cliff and saw Grishneshwar far away below.
Name:  Breakfast place to Beyond Kultabad.JPG
Views: 736
Size:  36.1 KB

Short break at Daulatabad to buy some small murtis.
Name:  Beyond Kultabad to Daulatabad.JPG
Views: 719
Size:  37.1 KB

Good two lane road along the twisties. Good dhabas along the way till Ellora. We prefered to go directly to Grishneshwar.
Name:  Daulatabad to Grishneshwar.JPG
Views: 839
Size:  39.2 KB

Last edited by MX6 : 15th August 2010 at 00:19.
Old 15th August 2010, 02:38   #98
MX6
Senior - BHPian

After a nice darshan in Grishneshwar which spanned over 1 hour 15 mins here's the rest of trip logs from Grishneshwar to Indore.
Name:  Timings 2.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  67.1 KB

Grishneshwar to Kannad ghat was just ok roads. Could keep a max of 80 kph on some stretches.
Name:  Grishneshwar to Kannad Ghat.JPG
Views: 950
Size:  36.6 KB

Kannad ghat was really crazy. 8 kms of ghat was done in 3 turns! And 6 kms before was from Kannad to the beginning of the ghats. Can keep 50 - 60 on these sections but it could be treacherous.
Name:  Kannad Ghat.JPG
Views: 1134
Size:  37.3 KB

Once you get off the Kannad ghats, 8.5 kms of road to the beginning of chalisgaon bypass is ok. I averaged almost 70 kph. The Chalisgaon bypass is a revelation. 12 kms of pleasure. But the damn thing has a toll bang in the middle which costs time. So Average drops down.
Name:  End of Kannad ghat to Chalisgaon Bypass.JPG
Views: 1832
Size:  37.9 KB

From Chalisgaon to Dhule we had decent roads too. But was eagerly waiting for NH3 to find some place to eat. This damned road doesn't have any decent veggie place after ellora all the way till Dhule (as chalisgaon was bypassed. So I floored it at some stretches.
Name:  End of Chalisgaon bypass to Dhule.JPG
Views: 867
Size:  36.5 KB

Dhule to Palasner was a pain. With road extension and heavy truck traffic, avg speed dropped to 43 kph. 79 kms of absolute pain. I had to downshift a hundred times to overtake trucks weaving in and out, with my indicators working overtime.
Name:  Dhule to Palasner.JPG
Views: 725
Size:  37.0 KB

Hurray, I'm in to MP at last. And it's 14 hours since I left home! Palasner to Sendhwa stretch covers the infamous Bhorghat. With trucks groaning over there, my average speed in that stretch dropped to the second lowest of the day at 28 kph. But roads were better from Palasner onwards. Dhule to Palasner was terrible bumpy roads.
Name:  Palasner to Sendhwa.JPG
Views: 875
Size:  36.2 KB

Sendhwa to Damnod was again heavy truck traffic. To make matters worse, visibility was poor due to lot's of dust. Mother was not able to sit as it's almost 15 hours from home. So I had to take breaks as well to let her stretch. Hence average speed stopped to 38 kph.
Name:  Sendhwa to Dhamnod.JPG
Views: 861
Size:  36.7 KB

After Dhamnod we hit the toll road. The 4 lane highway started. I thanked all the lords above. next 72 kms was done in half the time of the previous stretch . Average speed was 76 kph. We soon reached the outskirts of Indore where I pulled over momentarily to search for the nearest hotel to stay. POI was very handy and it pointed to hotel Silver oak. Since I'd hooked my blue tooth phone as well, I could dial the number directly from the POI screen through my phone and ensured there's a double room with extra bed with A/c there.
Name:  Dhamnod to Indore outskirts.JPG
Views: 715
Size:  38.2 KB

Following Satnav has never been a better pleasure when you listen to it step by step, turn and go as indicated only to arrive precisely at the correct place in right time. I was vary and reduced my speed inside cities because that's where things can go wrong with these maps. But Satnav made my day (and my night too), 13 mins later we parked our car right outside Silver oak. Thanks Satnav for brilliant navigation this time.
Name:  Outskirts to Silver Oak.JPG
Views: 693
Size:  36.1 KB

Room tariff was 1100 bucks a night for a double bed A/C with extra bed (for extra person).
After 17.5 hours since we left home, we stretched flat on the bed in cool comforts of a/c and caught up with news and soon snored to glory (ofcourse after two giant scoops of ice-creams).
In that 17.5 hours, we'd covered 640 kms from home and spent around 4 hours in temples and food.

It took us exactly 13 hours 26 minutes and 47 seconds of driving time for 640 kms - At an average driving speed of 47.6 kph

Getting these screenshots, and breaking the trip logs is kind of monotonous. So I shall post the 13th and 14th June leg tomorrow. Also will merge all these together to make one mega track log and upload the gpx in t-bhp after the posts are done.

I love my Garmin. It might show me non-existant routes and roads with boulders. But when I sit back and analyse the trips, I'm loving every bit of it. And it helped when I was weary after 17.5 hours of being outside by deciding not to fool around at the right moment and guiding me to a nice hotel! I should think of a nice name for that bugger.

Last edited by MX6 : 15th August 2010 at 02:47.
Old 15th August 2010, 04:42   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6
he immediately sent his employee to get diesel for the genset
Good customer care & service

Ghats 3.jpg is a very nice one; you did justification on this. Very good to look
Ghats 9.jpg is good, but I feel something is missing still.

What's that vertical profile stuff? Something part of Satnav or Garmin processed in PC?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 10:51   #100
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The vertical profile shows the altitude across the distance for that stretch, with details of distance and average speed shown below.
Old 15th August 2010, 15:38   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The vertical profile shows the altitude across the distance for that stretch, with details of distance and average speed shown below.
Is that part of the Garmin or Satnav? Also is there any specific use apart from collecting the stats? Some details is appreciated MX.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:03   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Is that part of the Garmin or Satnav? Also is there any specific use apart from collecting the stats? Some details is appreciated MX.
That is generated out of Mapsource, which is logged by the GPS device (Garmin here). The road data is from maps, which is Satnav. Data for Vertical Profile is pure generated by the logging from the GPS device.

MX, Narmada really looks very nice, esp the sole guy in the middle!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 22:07   #103
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Yes Aargee. Ampere has already answered it when I was out (Tapri meet).
Garmin records every second the latitude - longitude, altitude, speed of the vehicle etc. That's what's gps logs.
Mapsource helped me generate those charts, based on the gps logs that garmin had recorded.
Neat took eh?
Thanks Ampere. One should go in Oct to see Narmada in spate. Currently, the discharge from the dam was minimal.

Apologies again guys. I've been out today for a Tapri meet. It was one of the best meets spanning 4 hours over just one cup of coffee and a lot of discussion all the way from Adi shankara to Audi Cars. So I couldn't generate the mapsource stuff for the indore - omkareshwar leg today.
Will put that up tomorrow!
Old 16th August 2010, 09:42   #104
Senior - BHPian

If I understood you guys, the Garmin is a good stuff, but the map provider like MMI or SatNav are the ones to be blamed for providing the inaccurate maps. Reason for asking, I'm giving a serious consideration to buy Garmin Nuvi, but, skeptical about the map provider. I'll visit the Satnav vs MMI thread, but, would like to hear MX6's opinion too.

Oh!!! BTW, the GPS should be mountable both on two-wheeler as well as on car. Is there one such feature available?
Old 16th August 2010, 10:20   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If I understood you guys, the Garmin is a good stuff, but the map provider like MMI or SatNav are the ones to be blamed for providing the inaccurate maps. Reason for asking, I'm giving a serious consideration to buy Garmin Nuvi, but, skeptical about the map provider. I'll visit the Satnav vs MMI thread, but, would like to hear MX6's opinion too.

Oh!!! BTW, the GPS should be mountable both on two-wheeler as well as on car. Is there one such feature available?
Garmin is fun! Amazing info it logs!
Aargee maps are improving by the day. So just go ahead and treat yourself to one!

By the way MX I witnessed the same on Cauvery, what you did on Narmada. Went to Mettur in the hope to see full water. And what I saw was this:

Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-dsc03062.jpg

Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-dsc03067.jpg

Hogenakkal had good water flow. Later after the anti-climax we thought to ourself, we should have chilled at Hogenakkal itself!

By the way I forgot to add. Here are my 5 stars!

Last edited by ampere : 16th August 2010 at 10:23.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote