Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th August 2010, 12:02   #1
BHPian

Default one awesome ride

One awesome ride…..

Our ride to Karjat on 7th night started with Adil coming first and then all of us in the next 15 min. Dr Vistasp Sethna ( Doc ), Adil Merchant, Kunal Baskaran, Amey Thorat, Vijay Waswani and Kishor Chhabria ( me ) decided to ride together.

We started riding at 11 towards Karjat(The AKC trail at Kunal’s farm house)about 100 km from Pune, the first halt was at Dehu road for a hot cup of tea, (parle Ji) biscuits and a smoke, we also picked up some colas and chips here. Adil and Doc were leading, Kunal me and Amey next and Vijay sweeping. Amey and Vijay were enjoying opening up there throttle some times to ride with Doc and Adil. But Vijay was sweeping major of the ride; we were all doing an average speed of 70 km per hour, with top speed being 110 some times.

We then started riding on and decided not to halt again till Karjat … But the Ghats was covered with thick fog and were so inviting that we stopped for a smoke. From here on Kunal was leading, Amey and Vijay sweeping. Adil and Doc riding in a pair most of the time behind Kunal and I was trailing behind Adil and Doc.

After riding for some time on the national highway 4 we turned right after Kopoli towards Karjat, and in no time after turning right it started pouring, the ride towards Kargat was awesome, thick jungle, curves and bends with some inclines…..Kunal stopped and said let’s stick together from here on, Vijay’s tail lamp had given up and he had to pull it out and dump it in hid haversack.

Suddenly the tarmac ended and we started DIRT TROTTING….

It was my first experience in this kind of terrain, and a surprise planned by Kunal…. Slush and slush and slush 6 to 9” deep rocks and big blades of grass, it was mind blowing slippery and I went turtle; Vijay and Amey helped me pull my bike up. Then doc went 360 degree, then once again I went turtle and again Amey and Vijay helped me with my bike.. This track was meant for a 4x4 and we had done a part of this track at the ALKA KILO CHALLENGE a month back in my Jeep with Nishant organized by Kunal a month back. Then Adil went over an 8” boulder but managed to continue riding and the boulder started to roll over towards me but I did tackle it and rode on.

We then reached to Kunals farm and parked our steeds, I thanked Kunal for such an awesome trail…………
We then parked ourselves in the veranda of Kunal’s farm house, at this time it was 2.30 in the morning,

There were hot topics on the round table.. We started with the dirt trotting experience we just had, all thrilled and wanted to do it again while going back. Then as usual on every ride we started the BHOOT stories and I knew Doc gets a little paranoid and I started pulling his leg ( sorry Doc ).
Then we moved over to our experiences we had in the past…. Adventure trips we all had or wanted to do in the sanctuaries, hot topic being the Amazon basin, Kanha Kisli, Periyar and rides to south India. Then we started to plan our future rides.

At 5.30 in the morning we decided to ride back… and pulling on our rain suits we started to ride back to Pune on the same track. One more turtle for me again, we then had a photo session, and after riding for some time we reached the highway at 7am and stopped for a hot cup of tea.. Adil and doc leading again Kunal, Amey and me next and Vijay sweeping again.. The sweeper’s job is well known to all riders.

In the Khandala Ghats we saw a rider on the road with his wife trying to help, he had slipped off just seconds ago and his thigh bone broken into two so we decided to help him, we put him in one passing car and drove him to Lonavla to a hospital, admitted him in and moved on with our ride back to pune.
Adil and I stopped for a smoke on Nagar road before going home….

ONE AWESOME RIDE
Attached Thumbnails
one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0464.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0462.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0457.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0454.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0452.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0451.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0449.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0448.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0447.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0446.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0443.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0430.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0425.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0424.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0423.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0421.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0420.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0419.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0418.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0417.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0415.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0414.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_dsc_0413.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_1dsc_0459.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_1dsc_0433.jpg  

one awesome ride-rsz_1dsc_0426.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 16th August 2010 at 13:35.
tigerranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 15:58   #2
BHPian

Thumbs up Really Awesome

Really Awesome. reminds me of my days when I used to ride a bullet. Only a Bullet can take you throught such beautiful country. Thanks for the photos and for making me nostalgic. Take care and ride safe...
rulerofsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 22:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
Really Awesome. reminds me of my days when I used to ride a bullet. Only a Bullet can take you throught such beautiful country. Thanks for the photos and for making me nostalgic. Take care and ride safe...
@rulerofsun; Thanx, recently started riding after 25 years and with an enfield, I missed this all my life, but have been riding for the past one year, recently did ladakh. cheers
Old 12th August 2010, 05:57   #4
BHPian

Tigerranch great travelogue and superb photos!! Lovely off-roading monsoon experience. Congrats on your ladakh trip too!!
madhkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 07:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Now its time for Bullets for the TLs! Great ride and the story.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 09:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Tigerranch great travelogue and superb photos!! Lovely off-roading monsoon experience. Congrats on your ladakh trip too!!
@madhkris. Thanx. cheers
Old 12th August 2010, 13:53   #7
BHPian

Hi Tiger,
Nice pics. Really good to see so many Bullets. Waiting for more.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 20:13   #8
BHPian

@Sami.. you shall see a lot more.cheers
Old 13th August 2010, 12:24   #9
BHPian

Many many years ago, I used to ride a Bullet and I found that although it has a fantastic balance on tarmac (you can almost bring it to a standstill and yet keep both feet on the pegs), on loose gravel or dirt track, the bike was hopeless. So looks like this "feature" is still present. I don't know whether its the tyres or the weight of the bike that causes this.

On helping an injured guy.
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 13:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Many many years ago, I used to ride a Bullet and I found that although it has a fantastic balance on tarmac (you can almost bring it to a standstill and yet keep both feet on the pegs), on loose gravel or dirt track, the bike was hopeless. So looks like this "feature" is still present. I don't know whether its the tyres or the weight of the bike that causes this.

On helping an injured guy.
Bomi it is good at off roading too, I am 5'7" in height and 51 years so was finding it difficult in handling the slush which was sticky. but all the other riders were doing it very well, though it is not an complete off roader but it is better than the other bikes as it is more powerfull.. try doing it some time again.
Cheers
Old 16th August 2010, 13:37   #11
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note: Please go through the rules. Mention of alcohol is strictly against team-bhp policy.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 15:12   #12
BHPian

Tigerranch,

Been almost a week, no update.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote