Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th August 2010, 14:03   #31
BHPian

Millions of places to see but just a few years to do it in. The solitude is beckoning but the knees are not??
Fantastic pictures and it has the hallmark of a professional photographer??
Judemayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 20:48   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
When I was a kid, I used to regularly see the TVM-Bonacaud KSRTC bus. It was a mini bus, probably the only one out of KSRTC TVM in those days and surprisingly had destination boards written in Tamil also in addition to English and Malayalam - strange for a bus going within Kerala. On enquiring, I found the place to be within Kerala State, but apparently the local plantation labour is all Tamil. That means there must be some well-travelled trail from Boinacaud to adjoining Tirunelveli District/Kalakad WLS from Bonacaud.

Can Agasthyar koodam or Agasthyamalai be accessed from TN side also, and is there a path going over to that side?
HVK: Google map shows nothing. Wikimapia shows something which makes me feel that there could be something. Just follow the yellow trail which is the road, there is a break between but it seems to continue into the Papanasam Kaaraiyaar light-brown-shaded area in TN. Possibly need to continue into that restricted area mentioned by glidealong. Is it the case of the Siruvani-Palakkad road which is also blocked? Damn - red-tapism!

A drive into Bonacaud-bonacaudtnroad.jpg
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 15:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
HVK: Wikimapia shows something which makes me feel that there could be something. Just follow the yellow trail which is the road, there is a break between but it seems to continue into the Papanasam Kaaraiyaar light-brown-shaded area in TN. Possibly need to continue into that restricted area mentioned by glidealong. Is it the case of the Siruvani-Palakkad road which is also blocked? Damn - red-tapism!
Hmm, probably, I am not sure there is a motorable road for four wheelers, even for an off-roader. I have heard about only trekkers going upto Agastyarkoodam peak for the pilgrimage, which takes around a full day trek to reach the camp. Agastyar koodam seems to be the boundary, but sure there is no road along this way.

But what you suggested about the broken yellow lines seems to be the missing link in connecting Kerala-Tamilnadu along some virgin forests.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Millions of places to see but just a few years to do it in. The solitude is beckoning but the knees are not??
Fantastic pictures and it has the hallmark of a professional photographer??
This was my first trip after a keyhole surgery on my knee for partial meniscectomy. I am still having trouble bending my left knee fully, so this was kind of a test for me, and seems it held quite ok, but far from what i used to be an year back when i didnt have an injury. As per docs i need 6 months to be back to full normal and hope it is true cuz I really want to do a trek in the Himalayas - possibly the Milam glacier trek.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics, I am not a pro, just another corporate junkie selling his brains to an MNC. Pro needs much costlier gear than what I have, worth several lakhs.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th August 2010 at 16:43. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
glidealong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 12:01   #34
BHPian

Default Re: A drive into Bonacaud

just across this thread while searching for something else. thank you so much for the nice writeup and pics. I've been to bonacaud twice in last 7 months and there seems to be a unexplainable beauty to bonacaud. pity that the once glorious tea estate is now just a pale shadow..however, when we went during the 1st week of march, some amount of activities had happened and the factory was up & running again.

sharing few pics
Attached Thumbnails
A drive into Bonacaud-dsc05544.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-dsc05601.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-dsc05650.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-dsc05654.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-dsc05707.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-dsc05701.jpg  

Mysticeyes is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 21:25   #35
BHPian

[quote=glidealong;2034347]Hmm, probably, I am not sure there is a motorable road for four wheelers, even for an off-roader. I have heard about only trekkers going upto Agastyarkoodam peak for the pilgrimage, which takes around a full day trek to reach the camp. Agastyar koodam seems to be the boundary, but sure there is no road along this way.

But what you suggested about the broken yellow lines seems to be the missing link in connecting Kerala-Tamilnadu along some virgin forests.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

I hope no road, motorable or otherwise is built. Whenever a road is cut through a jungle the wildlife suffers. The world is left with precious little biodiversity now. The Western Ghats have been fragmented into small bits by the many roads that have been cut across it. The Kalakad-Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalakka..._Tiger_Reserve), part of the Agasthyamala Biosphere Reserve lies on the eastern side of this area.

Last edited by gkrishk : 30th April 2011 at 21:27. Reason: insertion of URL
gkrishk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 23:00   #36
BHPian

Very Inspiring!! Never heard of this place but I am going there this year Onlee!!

You got some talent for photography .. whats your gear and lens?

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 22:58   #37
BHPian

I am really feeling really inspired to do the trip in the morning itself. Had a real tough week at work, really deserve a break. Moreover my car is long waiting for an outing (it hates the drive to the office).

Guys thanks for sharing such Great snaps and writing. Truly amazing stuff.

Hoping to post my contribution ASAP.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 14:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
I am really feeling really inspired to do the trip in the morning itself. Had a real tough week at work, really deserve a break. Moreover my car is long waiting for an outing (it hates the drive to the office).

Guys thanks for sharing such Great snaps and writing. Truly amazing stuff.

Hoping to post my contribution ASAP.
You would love the break for sure. But I suggest that you wait till monsoon so that the real beauty unravels before you
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 00:57   #39
BHPian

Did the trip last sunday. The place is a really nice getaway. The tea factory in ruins and the shanty buildings around it give the place a mystic ambiance to the place.

Yes maybe the place wasn't as dramatic as it would have been during the rains. But the trekking up the rocks near the waterfall near the estate and bathing was much more safer,
Even in the heat the water was chilly. We spent a very relaxing 2 hours there.

Since the Vazhuvanthol Waterfall is en-route we planned to visit there too. But later plans changed So we would be surely back to bonacad very soon. And surely would take my cam too on that trip.

Think it would be advisable to visit bonacaud early in the morning. Later on the way down hill you can trek to the vazhuvanthol falls.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 22:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
But I suggest that you wait till monsoon so that the real beauty unravels before you
I did the trip last week, in peak summer. It's still green, but looks like it won't stay like that...

Hope I am not gatecrashing into your thread.
Attached Thumbnails
A drive into Bonacaud-20130428353.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-20130428352.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-20130428357.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-20130428356.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-p1060060.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-p1060062.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-p1060063.jpg  

A drive into Bonacaud-20130428359.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 6th May 2013 at 22:32.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 16:49   #41
BHPian

Lovely thread.
And all the more lovelier snaps too.
Your spideys took my heart too along with them

keep clicking
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 10:52   #42
BHPian