Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th September 2010, 19:42   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I will answer the question about permits till harsh chimes in. this dicussion happened earlier also I think

1. Only Chumur is an issue. they may say why chumur etc., but insist that you are an Indian citizen, and persist. You will get the permits. This is how we got those.
2. No contacts needed
3. No life history required
4. Go to the DC office yourself. If you send travel agent, forget it.

To do the full changthang circuit along with nubra turtuk write the following
Nubra, Turtuk, Pangong, Man, MErak, Chushul, Tsaga, Loma, Nyoma, Hanle, Chumur, Tso moriri, Tso Kar

Thats about it!
Hi Tsk thank you for pitching in with valuable info. And you are right about there being a small mention and a following discussion about the permits on the thread. But i just wanted more detail and hence the question.

This is fantastic, exactly what i was looking for. It looks like a big trip so i guess every bit of info does help not just me but all that have been inspired by this great thread from Harsh.

Happy motoring

Last edited by amrisharm : 20th September 2010 at 19:44.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 21:23   #152
Team-BHP Support

Actually this the quickest way to see everything in Ladakh(almost everything).
Harsh did
Leh-Tso moriri
Tso moriri - hanle
Hanle- pangong
pangong - nubra
nubra leh

We did
Leh nubra
nubra pangong(direct route)
pangong hanle
hanle kyun Tso nyoma leh

4 day changthang circuit.
I was short on time, and not sure about the exact route, so we went back to leh via the 2 kyun Tso's and not chumur tso moriri route though we had the permits.

Its good that harsh has mapped the chumur-kyun Tso and chumur tso moriri section, because the probability of getting lost there is even more than hanle kyun tso where there are only couple of diversions.

Anyways, if you are planning to do the trip, you can check out openstreetmap maps. I have mapped most of the sections, and they are visible at zoom level 14 or more.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 11:37   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Actually this the quickest way to see everything in Ladakh(almost everything).
Harsh did
Leh-Tso moriri
Tso moriri - hanle
Hanle- pangong
pangong - nubra
nubra leh
Hi Tanveer, You made my day. I enrolled for Reid de Himalaya because I wanted to do these places. But because of Floods this time the route is changed and rally will be fininshing in Manali.

Now after reading this thread I am planning to do this circuit after finishing RDH. It will be great help if you can write the kms and approx time required as per your experience.

I looked at openstreet for gpx files but it was little difficult for a newbie like me to identify which file I need to pick to cover this route.

It will be gr8 if you can list down those file in a sequential order to follow.

Thanks & Rgds,

Alok
Crazy4Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 14:00   #154
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harsh, this is a wonderful travelogue and wonderful pictures too. My favourite one was the pic in the first page with wild asses and the Safari. That could be a very good ad for the safari
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 09:20   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
Hi Tanveer, You made my day. I enrolled for Reid de Himalaya because I wanted to do these places. But because of Floods this time the route is changed and rally will be fininshing in Manali.

Now after reading this thread I am planning to do this circuit after finishing RDH. It will be great help if you can write the kms and approx time required as per your experience.

I looked at openstreet for gpx files but it was little difficult for a newbie like me to identify which file I need to pick to cover this route.

It will be gr8 if you can list down those file in a sequential order to follow.

Thanks & Rgds,

Alok
Lets not got OT on Harsh's travelogue
You can find all distances and times etc., on my thread. All routes detailed.
BTW Raid never went to these places earlier also.
Another thing to note is the Nubra Pangong Direct route is washed out, and now Wari LA is the only option. It means around 7 hours run to Tangste from Diskit instead of 4-5 hours via direct route
Old 28th September 2010, 11:56   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post

The distances are as displayed on the map below. Time schedule can be seen on the subject heading of the individual days of this travelogue. Also if you can PM me your email id i could send over my gpx tracks to you. It might be of a help.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-mapversion3.0.2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Hi Harsh, this is a wonderful travelogue and wonderful pictures too. My favourite one was the pic in the first page with wild asses and the Safari. That could be a very good ad for the safari
Thanks addyhemmige. the one with Safari & the wild asses is one of favorites too

Quote:
You can find all distances and times etc., on my thread. All routes detailed.
BTW Raid never went to these places earlier also.
Agreed, i dont RdH ever went to these places. I don't which route they are planning this year. Met Amanpreet Ahluwalia at Gramphoo day before, doing reccee for the raid, he was heading towards Kaza, and apparently they are including the Kaza-Kaumik stretch this year ;-)
vardhan.harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 12:33   #157
Team-BHP Support

The raid recon team to Leh came back a day before the cloudburst. On the way it started raining heavily. You can see the video on motoworld1 id at youtube.
Old 27th October 2010, 06:39   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The photo of the woman rowing the boat is a prize catch. One of the finest photos in T-BHP!
Same feeling here when i first saw the picture.Amazing phtograph.
msvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 01:23   #159
BHPian

Hey Harsh, awesome write up I must say. We were in Leh in mid July for the confluence (which got cancelled!) and ended up traveling to Diskit, Pangong Tso and Lamayuru. So this does bring back memories! There seems to be a lot more snow that the time we went! Again, awesome write up and teh pics are simply outstanding. And yes, hats off to Kiyang!

Cheers!
Rohan
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 10:33   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
Same feeling here when i first saw the picture.Amazing phtograph.
Thanks msvg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hey Harsh, awesome write up I must say. We were in Leh in mid July for the confluence (which got cancelled!) and ended up traveling to Diskit, Pangong Tso and Lamayuru. So this does bring back memories! There seems to be a lot more snow that the time we went! Again, awesome write up and teh pics are simply outstanding. And yes, hats off to Kiyang!

Cheers!
Rohan
I think the region might've experienced snowfall just before you guys went. By the time we were there, a lot of snow had melted on passes & mountains and thankfully it was so, since a lot more roads had opened up by then. Glad that you enjoyed the writeup.
Old 25th November 2010, 14:12   #161
BHPian

Harsh - did you see the below thread?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...st-2010-a.html (Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010)

After going through this thread it reminded me of the lovely pictures you have captured in your trip.
I hope you have something which can be a good entry !

Last edited by Rastapopoulos : 25th November 2010 at 14:21.
Rastapopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 03:21   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Harsh - did you see the below thread?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...st-2010-a.html (Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010)

After going through this thread it reminded me of the lovely pictures you have captured in your trip.
I hope you have something which can be a good entry !
After having a look at the photographs there on that thread i would rather dare not to post my photographs for the contest ;-). why waste precious money when photographs which are much more stunning have already entered the contest. But thanks for thinking that my snaps were worth a shot .
Old 28th November 2010, 00:39   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
After having a look at the photographs there on that thread i would rather dare not to post my photographs for the contest ;-). why waste precious money when photographs which are much more stunning have already entered the contest. But thanks for thinking that my snaps were worth a shot .
You being modest- I know the ones who already contending are awesome and hats off to the photographers.

But that does not belittle what you have captured. There are some really amazing pictures like the farmer in his fields or the flower girl in shikara and many more.

You never know - you should compete not JUST to win. Karma kar Fal ki iccha mat rakh
Rastapopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 15:34   #164
BHPian

Default Re: 4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh

Aarti & Harish: Travelogues such as yours are a source of inspiration for all of us. It is wonderful to see the team work between both of you. Congratulations! Pics are amazing. We are planning to do Mumbai - Ladakh - Mumbai with wifey and our 5 yo son in mid-June. Since our announcement, other colleagues and friends have shown their interest to join as well.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 10:18   #165
BHPian

Default Re: 4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Aarti & Harish: Travelogues such as yours are a source of inspiration for all of us. It is wonderful to see the team work between both of you. Congratulations! Pics are amazing. We are planning to do Mumbai - Ladakh - Mumbai with wifey and our 5 yo son in mid-June. Since our announcement, other colleagues and friends have shown their interest to join as well.
Thanks Paco.
Maybe we'll cross each other later this year in Ladakh ;-). Dates not finalized yet, but most probably june it would be.