Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th January 2011, 13:39   #166
BHPian

Default Re: 4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh

This is an excellent travelogue and a guide to visit Ladakh. Never have I come across more information pertaining to the region, not even in the Outlook Traveller magazines that covered Ladakh.

This is a awesome gift to all people who are enthusiastic to visit the largest district of the country, me included.
aryasanyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 15:02   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Thanks Paco.
Maybe we'll cross each other later this year in Ladakh ;-). Dates not finalized yet, but most probably june it would be.
Cool, even me's planning a visit to Ladakh this June!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
This is an excellent travelogue and a guide to visit Ladakh.
+1 to that! There are many aspects of this travelogue which inspire one to experience the wilderness in Ladakh.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 17:39   #168
BHPian

Have wasted almost an entire day today reading from start to finish! What a travelogue? This have given me such a rush that I want to be transported to Ladakh right now (yes I know it is -25C or something there). Hope this rush lasts till June/July and I am finally able to go back after a gap of 5 years.

Hats off to both of you!
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 11:41   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
This is an excellent travelogue and a guide to visit Ladakh. Never have I come across more information pertaining to the region, not even in the Outlook Traveller magazines that covered Ladakh.

This is a awesome gift to all people who are enthusiastic to visit the largest district of the country, me included.
Thanks Aryasanyal for your kind words. And by the way Ladkah is not the largest district in the country, Kachchh is. I've just been to the region and it's huge. Although time taken in commute in Ladkah is certainly more because of the terrain. Planning to commence the Kachchh travelogue soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Cool, even me's planning a visit to Ladakh this June!

+1 to that! There are many aspects of this travelogue which inspire one to experience the wilderness in Ladakh.
That's great lordofgondor. As a friend of mine says, No one can visit the region just once. They have to return ;-). Maybe we'll cross our paths in the wilderness this june.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Have wasted almost an entire day today reading from start to finish! What a travelogue? This have given me such a rush that I want to be transported to Ladakh right now (yes I know it is -25C or something there). Hope this rush lasts till June/July and I am finally able to go back after a gap of 5 years.

Hats off to both of you!
Ha Ha Ha. Sorry nkapoor for wasting your day yesterday, but thanks for the kind words. Actually Darbuk was -30 yesterday!
vardhan.harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 19:11   #170
BHPian

There's nothing to be done here, except to commend Harsh and his better half for not just an amazing journey, but for capturing everything so well, and a wonderful narrative. Brilliant stuff—and makes all of us live the trip with them. Thanks for letting us in on your great journey.

[quote=vardhan.harsh;2201907]Thanks Aryasanyal for your kind words. And by the way Ladkah is not the largest district in the country, Kachchh is. I've just been to the region and it's huge. Although time taken in commute in Ladkah is certainly more because of the terrain. Planning to commence the Kachchh travelogue soon.
rajeevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 23:07   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
There's nothing to be done here, except to commend Harsh and his better half for not just an amazing journey, but for capturing everything so well, and a wonderful narrative. Brilliant stuff—and makes all of us live the trip with them. Thanks for letting us in on your great journey.

Thanks a lot rajeev for your kind words.
Old 25th January 2011, 16:28   #172
BHPian

Sir, There are no words to describe your adventure, simply superb. Its you and others like you who literally force many of us to get off our chairs and take the less travelled road and have adventures that remain with us for our lives. I am hoping to replicate your adventure soon this year and of course it will be dedicated to people like you who have shown the rest of us the way. All the best and wish you many more happy journeys.

Manmohan.
manmohanmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 00:38   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Sir, There are no words to describe your adventure, simply superb. Its you and others like you who literally force many of us to get off our chairs and take the less travelled road and have adventures that remain with us for our lives. I am hoping to replicate your adventure soon this year and of course it will be dedicated to people like you who have shown the rest of us the way. All the best and wish you many more happy journeys.

Manmohan.
Glad that you liked the log Manmohan, good to knwo that you are planning Ladakh this year. If you are planning in June we might criss-cross our path in the wildnerness , especially if you planning Changthang region.
Old 26th January 2011, 20:32   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Glad that you liked the log Manmohan, good to knwo that you are planning Ladakh this year. If you are planning in June we might criss-cross our path in the wildnerness , especially if you planning Changthang region.
Harsh, if you are planning to have a "run-in" with Manmohan enroute to Ladakh this year, you are going to have two uninvited passengers to also assist—me and my Pajero, which I have taken possession of only to go to Ladakh, inspired by people like you, TSK and ADC...

Let's make it happen!!
rajeevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 23:20   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
Harsh, if you are planning to have a "run-in" with Manmohan enroute to Ladakh this year, you are going to have two uninvited passengers to also assist—me and my Pajero, which I have taken possession of only to go to Ladakh, inspired by people like you, TSK and ADC...

Let's make it happen!!
Our breed is increasing by the day . I bought the safari only to tour in interiors of Ladakh and it seems so is the case with you too. Probably we will have a "run-in" ourselves if you are planning too this year in June. It's great to meet like-minded "strangers" in the middle of nowhere. Ever since we've joined travel groups like this one and another one it's been a wonderful experience.
Old 27th January 2011, 16:53   #176
BHPian

Harsh, that would be good, but since I am travelling from Bangalore by road, will be looking at a more stabler time period for the fickle weather of the Himalayas. So it is tentatively fixed for August, though I would have really liked September more. The plan is to do the Spiti and circuit via Nako - Losar then on to the Leh Road, hopefully manage the permits for the Chanthang area, complete chanthang in a circuit similar to yours then on to Pangong Tso - Shyok / Agham - Hundar and back to leh via khardungla. We hope to do the Leh - Manali road on the return. However if Permits are not possible without our personal presence in Leh we will then do the route you did. And funnily/coincidentally I too will be picking up a 4 wheel drive just to do this trip and other future plans to Rajasthan / Gujrat and the North east. I guess the symptoms of the disease caused by the 'travel bug' are pretty similar...
Old 27th January 2011, 17:27   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Harsh, that would be good, but since I am travelling from Bangalore by road, will be looking at a more stabler time period for the fickle weather of the Himalayas. So it is tentatively fixed for August, though I would have really liked September more. The plan is to do the Spiti and circuit via Nako - Losar then on to the Leh Road, hopefully manage the permits for the Chanthang area, complete chanthang in a circuit similar to yours then on to Pangong Tso - Shyok / Agham - Hundar and back to leh via khardungla. We hope to do the Leh - Manali road on the return. However if Permits are not possible without our personal presence in Leh we will then do the route you did. And funnily/coincidentally I too will be picking up a 4 wheel drive just to do this trip and other future plans to Rajasthan / Gujrat and the North east. I guess the symptoms of the disease caused by the 'travel bug' are pretty similar...
Yes it would make sense to pick for a "stabler" time period of August. I do not foresee you having too many problems in August, though there have been disturbance in September on the Manali-Leh highway & Kaza - Rohtang stretch for the past 2 years. Also to add, it might not be feasible to plan Pangong Tso - Agham (direct route) during August since the river Shyok swells up and takes existing bridges along with it. This year it was closed by July if i am not mistaken. We were lucky to have crossed it in June.

A word of caution while attempting Hanle - Chumur & specially Tso Moriri - Chumur, the barely driveable track is not for the faint hearted. And if you get stuck be prepared to walk for a couple of days to get ANY kind of help, unless you are yourself in a 4x4 caravan. Also while coming down from Charchagan La (wrongly marked as Ungti La) from Tso Moriri to Chumur, the river swells up by that time making it difficult to cross, or so i have heard. We did it in June and it was quite dry that time. If you are planning to travel with family/ kids things get a little more riskier. All boys is another story altogether.

Rest assured that to do the interiors of Changthang you WILL need to present yourself physically in order to get the permit as it is not easy to obtain & I am quite sure that travel agents will screw it up if you give it to them.

It's great that you are going to pick up a 4x4 for this trip and other trips, much like us. A word of caution there as well, ensure that you have at least 3000 - 5000km running before the trip. The extreme off-roading will take it's toll on a new engine.

I'm sorry if i am sounding haughty or condescending, but we were VERY lucky to have done it smoothly, and will try again this year, but try to do it in a 4x4 caravan, if possible. It was quite a fool-hardy attempt by us, in hindsight.
Old 27th January 2011, 19:43   #178
BHPian

Not at all Sir, your observations are very valued. Well We will not be in a caravan but two vehicles and be assured we are very circumspect and cautious. My vehicle is expected in April / May and will surely have completed the first service before we venture out. And finally we will definitely follow the various inputs from fellow BHPians who would have led the way from June onwards and of course your own log in this circuit which I hope you will have up by August.
Manmohan.
Old 27th January 2011, 21:53   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

The Safari pic under Day 7 - TATA should use it for the Safari Ads !! Its so beautiful. I could not help but post this first and now I am going to read this T-Log. This is my dream destination. So its all well done after the cloud burst ?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 02:19   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Not at all Sir, your observations are very valued. Well We will not be in a caravan but two vehicles and be assured we are very circumspect and cautious. My vehicle is expected in April / May and will surely have completed the first service before we venture out. And finally we will definitely follow the various inputs from fellow BHPians who would have led the way from June onwards and of course your own log in this circuit which I hope you will have up by August.
Manmohan.
Let me get there in June, in the first place and then we'll talk about a log by August ;-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The Safari pic under Day 7 - TATA should use it for the Safari Ads !! Its so beautiful. I could not help but post this first and now I am going to read this T-Log. This is my dream destination. So its all well done after the cloud burst ?
I hope they listen to your reco. and use it