Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st February 2011, 19:12   #181
BHPian

Default Re: 4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh

The moment I saw this, I was reading from the first post till the very end. Amazing Harsh. Everytime I read a travelouge of Ladakh, I just wish to do it once in this life.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:36   #182
BHPian

[quote=vardhan.harsh;2223983]Let me get there in June, in the first place and then we'll talk about a log by August ;-).

Life just gets better and better; all of us are in for another treat from Harsh & Co. this August. Can't wait for it. Safe driving...

rajeevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 14:08   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Not at all Sir, your observations are very valued. Well We will not be in a caravan but two vehicles and be assured we are very circumspect and cautious. My vehicle is expected in April / May and will surely have completed the first service before we venture out. And finally we will definitely follow the various inputs from fellow BHPians who would have led the way from June onwards and of course your own log in this circuit which I hope you will have up by August.
Manmohan.
Me too from Bangalore feel like taking this trip, maybe in Aug we could do it together.

Just awesome, needless to say amazing pictures and writing. Hopefully i can do the same sometime this year. Any one, ideas how to do this with Kids, may have to cut on the adventure part i guess.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 16th February 2011 at 07:48. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 16:03   #184
DNM
BANNED

this trip indeed looks very interesting!
how long did it take you to reach there?
DNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 16:34   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Just awesome, needless to say amazing pictures and writing. Hopefully i can do the same sometime this year. Any one, ideas how to do this with Kids, may have to cut on the adventure part i guess.
Though I have zilch experience on traveling with kids, here's my 2 cents anyway:

I guess a lot depends on how old the kids are and how adventurous they are. You gotta have an idea of what all can go wrong in a trip like this (the various Ladakh/Spiti logs will help you with that ) and gauge if your kids can cope with that or not. For example and I think it may be the worst case scenario, your vehicle breaks down (god forbid) and help is hours, even a day away; would your kids be able to bear that. Needless to say, you'll need to plan what provisions to carry with you very thoughtfully.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 18:58   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
The moment I saw this, I was reading from the first post till the very end. Amazing Harsh. Everytime I read a travelouge of Ladakh, I just wish to do it once in this life.
Thanks traveloholic

[quote=rajeevn;2231669]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Let me get there in June, in the first place and then we'll talk about a log by August ;-).

Life just gets better and better; all of us are in for another treat from Harsh & Co. this August. Can't wait for it. Safe driving...

Thanks Rajeev

Quote:
Me too from Bangalore feel like taking this trip, maybe in Aug we could do it together.
I would probably be back by June from the trip. So count me out for August for sure. Cant take THAT many leaves.

Quote:
Well one has to be careful with Kids, as lordofgondor has correctly said, one has to figure out the risk taking capacity of you as a parent. One has to understand the risks involved. For e.g. for us we were prepared for two eventualities, a) Stuck due to weather conditions b) Stuck due to vehicle breakdown.

Both of them involve staying put / walking for kms in hope of rescue for a day / two / three (at max). In such cases one needs accommodation which was there in form of tents, and food which we had a 5 day supply of. So should the worst had happened, we were prepared, including medicines for such situations.

For the case of vehicle break-down a towing cable is a must. Puncture-repair kits, and at least the basic spares.

With kids if you plan out your risks, it can be done. Knowledge of them is they key. I know of a family (adc) who did an adventurous trip with his kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNM View Post
this trip indeed looks very interesting!
how long did it take you to reach there?
Well we took about 5 days to reach Leh, could've taken 4 but the closure of Manali-Leh highway ensured that we had to spend an extra day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Though I have zilch experience on traveling with kids, here's my 2 cents anyway:

I guess a lot depends on how old the kids are and how adventurous they are. You gotta have an idea of what all can go wrong in a trip like this (the various Ladakh/Spiti logs will help you with that ) and gauge if your kids can cope with that or not. For example and I think it may be the worst case scenario, your vehicle breaks down (god forbid) and help is hours, even a day away; would your kids be able to bear that. Needless to say, you'll need to plan what provisions to carry with you very thoughtfully.
Couldn't agree more with that. Although I'm too unexperienced when it comes to kids. So it's all theoretical knowledge from my side.
vardhan.harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 19:33   #187
Senior - BHPian

Great travelogue sir! I admire your (both) interest and application. I am sure its easier to cover longer distances when all occupants drive well.
My 2 cents - the kids get used to adjusting with different situations. If they are not already flexible, it is a wonderful learning experience for them; one of the joys of a roadtrip. The most important art would be to keep them occupied for the long hours of the drive. Of course we consider the basic food/ water/ medicines, but the entertainment or mental stimulation is quite important for them. Any games that help this during the drive are great. Also, during stops it is very essential to get them to burn some energy by running/ playing around so they dont get restless while driving around.

Last edited by selfdrive : 4th February 2011 at 19:34.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 19:59   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Great travelogue sir! I admire your (both) interest and application. I am sure its easier to cover longer distances when all occupants drive well.
My 2 cents - the kids get used to adjusting with different situations. If they are not already flexible, it is a wonderful learning experience for them; one of the joys of a roadtrip. The most important art would be to keep them occupied for the long hours of the drive. Of course we consider the basic food/ water/ medicines, but the entertainment or mental stimulation is quite important for them. Any games that help this during the drive are great. Also, during stops it is very essential to get them to burn some energy by running/ playing around so they dont get restless while driving around.
Of course someone with some experience with kids can come up with such a suggestion. I cannot even think along these lines right now
Old 5th February 2011, 06:51   #189
Senior - BHPian

[quote=vardhan.harsh;2233402]Thanks traveloholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
Well one has to be careful with Kids, as lordofgondor has correctly said, one has to figure out the risk taking capacity of you as a parent. One has to understand the risks involved. For e.g. for us we were prepared for two eventualities, a) Stuck due to weather conditions b) Stuck due to vehicle breakdown.
Yes, rightly said. Hence the conclusion regarding cutting down on adventure part (going in unknown). It may mean doing only Leh rather than the full of Ladakh.

Do you think a GPS is absolutely must? And is May/June a good time to do this trip? How did you manage mobile coverage i am gussing mobiles wouldnt work there? Sorry too many questions (Its just that you folks have gotten us excited). Thanks
Old 5th February 2011, 07:37   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Yeah, i think we will have to do something and its a very good suggestion. Till now we have only taken 600-800 Kms drives around south India hence never needed this (We start early and by the time she wakes up we are half way there). Hitting central, far east, and North is next in line.

Was thinking if there is a way to send the vehicle and then fly/train ourselves and then drive for example ship the car to Delhi and then fly to delhi and drive from there. Anyone has some experience with that. I know folks will kill me for even saying this (Whats the fun) I agree but office situation may not permit long leaves hence looking at all options.
Old 5th February 2011, 09:24   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks traveloholic

Yes, rightly said. Hence the conclusion regarding cutting down on adventure part (going in unknown). It may mean doing only Leh rather than the full of Ladakh.

Do you think a GPS is absolutely must? And is May/June a good time to do this trip? How did you manage mobile coverage i am gussing mobiles wouldnt work there? Sorry too many questions (Its just that you folks have gotten us excited). Thanks
Well cutting down on the adventure does not mean one just stays in Leh. Nubra / Pangong Tso & Tso Moriri are places where one can go without issues, It's only when one goes "off-track" does the possibility of getting stranded increase. And if you see the map, (earlier in this thread), if you do not take the red marked "routes" you would be cutting down the adventure, the rest of Ladakh is pretty well connected and help is easily available.

Quote:
Yeah, i think we will have to do something and its a very good suggestion. Till now we have only taken 600-800 Kms drives around south India hence never needed this (We start early and by the time she wakes up we are half way there). Hitting central, far east, and North is next in line.

Was thinking if there is a way to send the vehicle and then fly/train ourselves and then drive for example ship the car to Delhi and then fly to delhi and drive from there. Anyone has some experience with that. I know folks will kill me for even saying this (Whats the fun) I agree but office situation may not permit long leaves hence looking at all options.
A lot of people do this, ship their bikes to Delhi, have not heard that for a car often though. But that would be a wise decision. In fact, a wiser decision would be to ship it to Chandigarh or Jammu, depending if you are doing Srinagar - Leh first or Manali - leh, and fly in those places.
Old 5th February 2011, 16:08   #192
Senior - BHPian

Read about moving your car here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ort-car-4.html) and looks like there will be problems like delivery schedule not being met, assumption that you are relocating and hence octroi etc, car shipped will not arive clean etc, also i am sure it would cost somewhere close to 15-20k. Looks like driving is the only safe option.
Old 5th February 2011, 18:16   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Well cutting down on the adventure does not mean one just stays in Leh.
========rest of Ladakh is pretty well connected and help is easily available.
Would i need a GPS to do Leh. Nubra / Pangong Tso & Tso Moriri, or a smart phone with Google Map would be enough?
Old 5th February 2011, 23:58   #194
BHPian

Hi Harsh,
Your travel log is like a bench mark for all enthusiasts here to follow when going on this route. You also have very nicely depicted that a good travel companion can do wonders to make journey memorable esp if s/he happens to be your spouse. The scariest place looks not that frightening when you have someone you can trust blindly. Most of the members have already asked you basic things but 2 questions from my side as well:
1) How secure is the place for a family visit as it is also visited by tourists of different types?
2) How did you manage fuel for your safari?

And with kids I would like to point out that they need to be old enough like > 8yrs to handle altitude sickness and lack / low levels of oxygen and food at these intimidating places or their crankyness can turn your fun ride to a worrysome ride.

Also you said in towards the end of your log that you saw a swift as well. Was it diesel? How were they able to manage the treacherous roads? I just want to gauge how much my tiger can endure.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 00:01   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Hi Harsh,
Your travel log is like a bench mark for all enthusiasts here to follow when going on this route. You also have very nicely depicted that a good travel companion can do wonders to make journey memorable esp if s/he happens to be your spouse. The scariest place looks not that frightening when you have someone you can trust blindly. Most of the members have already asked you basic things but 2 questions from my side as well:
1) How secure is the place for a family visit as it is also visited by tourists of different types?
2) How did you manage fuel for your safari?

And with kids I would like to point out that they need to be old enough like > 8yrs to handle altitude sickness and lack / low levels of oxygen and food at these intimidating places or their crankyness can turn your fun ride to a worrysome ride.

Also you said in towards the end of your log that you saw a swift as well. Was it diesel? How were they able to manage the treacherous roads? I just want to gauge how much my tiger can endure.
Thanks AnandG.
Responding to your questions: Ladakh & in fact all of Himalayas are very safe for travel with family. The locals there are very humble and nice people. Yes there are few tourists who can create a nuisance value, but one just tends to ignore them and move on. In ladakh though, such type of tourists are limited. Majority of the people are those who respect the land's beauty.
Regarding fuel, we carried 2 huge jerry-cans of 40L capacity each to take the "off-road" and even with that, we had to buy 20L in black at Lukung to make sure we were covered for the entire stretch without breaking a sweat.

No, I think it was a petrol swift, but i am not too sure now. I could ask, the guy is on my facebook. Well they had to be extra cautious on those roads, because of obvious reasons of low clearance, but the vehicle did VERY good, and there was a point i thought it would not make it, but it really pulled through.

Quote:
Would i need a GPS to do Leh. Nubra / Pangong Tso & Tso Moriri, or a smart phone with Google Map would be enough?
You would need a GPS to do Leh. Nubra / Pangong & Tso Moriri. The roads are straightforward and pretty well marked. Tso Moriri is a bit tricky at the very end, just dont take the bridge to the east bank of Tso Moriri, stick to the west bank and you should be fine.

A smart phone with Google map will not work in the region, since there is no GPRS or signal for mobile in the first place.

Just keep off the red lines in this map below and you will not need a GPS.
Attached Thumbnails
4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-mapwith-pointsanddistances-v-3.0.3.jpg  

Last edited by vardhan.harsh : 6th February 2011 at 00:20.