Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th February 2011, 02:25   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Yeah, i think we will have to do something and its a very good suggestion. Till now we have only taken 600-800 Kms drives around south India hence never needed this (We start early and by the time she wakes up we are half way there). Hitting central, far east, and North is next in line.

Was thinking if there is a way to send the vehicle and then fly/train ourselves and then drive for example ship the car to Delhi and then fly to delhi and drive from there. Anyone has some experience with that. I know folks will kill me for even saying this (Whats the fun) I agree but office situation may not permit long leaves hence looking at all options.
Sorry for being very ignorant, but would it not be easier to rent a car from Chandigarh/ Delhi rather than shipping your car all the way from the south?
I am hoping this is possible as I dont think my kid has the patience for a long GQ drive yet. I will have to build up the stamina!!
I do understand one misses the charm of driving one's own car though. Perhaps there should be a section on TBHP indicating upcoming travels by bhpians so that like minded folks can group up for sections of the drive.

harsh - I absolutely adored the picture of Kiyang against the starry night sky. It really strikes a chord with anybody who is interested in astronomy. Leh/ Ladakh must be such a magnificent place for astronomy (no light dispersion)

Last edited by selfdrive : 6th February 2011 at 02:27. Reason: added comment
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 07:14   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Hi Harsh,
And with kids I would like to point out that they need to be old enough like > 8yrs to handle altitude sickness and lack / low levels of oxygen and food at these intimidating places or their crankyness can turn your fun ride to a worrysome ride.
Are you sure about this, my daughter being 4 years and few months if this is going to be a problem maybe i should drop this planning. I am not planning to drive to places unknown, just some major places (where decent stay and food is available).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Regarding fuel, we carried 2 huge jerry-cans of 40L capacity each to take the "off-road" and even with that, we had to buy 20L in black at Lukung to make sure we were covered for the entire stretch without breaking a sweat.

You would need a GPS to do Leh. Nubra / Pangong & Tso Moriri. The roads are straightforward and pretty well marked. Tso Moriri is a bit tricky at the very end, just dont take the bridge to the east bank of Tso Moriri, stick to the west bank and you should be fine.
Oops, would fuel not be available at major towns or places? This is getting more and more difficult and the more i know the more i am feeling a sense of respect for you what you folks have done.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 11:36   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Sorry for being very ignorant, but would it not be easier to rent a car from Chandigarh/ Delhi rather than shipping your car all the way from the south?
I am hoping this is possible as I dont think my kid has the patience for a long GQ drive yet. I will have to build up the stamina!!
I do understand one misses the charm of driving one's own car though. Perhaps there should be a section on TBHP indicating upcoming travels by bhpians so that like minded folks can group up for sections of the drive.

harsh - I absolutely adored the picture of Kiyang against the starry night sky. It really strikes a chord with anybody who is interested in astronomy. Leh/ Ladakh must be such a magnificent place for astronomy (no light dispersion)
Well it is possible to rent a taxi from Manali if one is ok with losing a self-drive option. But i guess that is not something we all like, hiring a self-drive car rental turns out to be quite expensive i think and guess that is why it has not been so popular yet.

Regarding astronomy, the best site in India is in Hanle Ladakh where there the astronomists from Bangalore have setup a high altitude observatory remote controlled from Bangalore.

Quote:
Are you sure about this, my daughter being 4 years and few months if this is going to be a problem maybe i should drop this planning. I am not planning to drive to places unknown, just some major places (where decent stay and food is available).

Oops, would fuel not be available at major towns or places? This is getting more and more difficult and the more i know the more i am feeling a sense of respect for you what you folks have done.
I know of a 2 year old who has settled in Leh and has adjusted quite well at those altitudes. I would suggest it's best to consults a doctor, or read up the relevant thread at B**Touring.

In Ladakh, the possible places for refuelling (at pumps) are limited. The places include, Kargil, Mulbekh on the Srinagar - Leh highway. Leh, Karu & if i am not mistaken there's one new that has come up at Diskit last year. Though availability is not that great always at that pump.

Which car do your drive? Diesel? It's also possible to buy in black from local guys at certain places, like Pangong Tso. So rest assured Fuel should be your last point of worry.
vardhan.harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 13:08   #199
DNM
BANNED

That's good!! The fuel tank had to be filled how many times??
Im in Mumbai right now and plan on making a trip to Ladakh! Will mostly drive an Innova or a Scorpio... What's the approx distance?
DNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 15:40   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNM View Post
That's good!! The fuel tank had to be filled how many times??
Im in Mumbai right now and plan on making a trip to Ladakh! Will mostly drive an Innova or a Scorpio... What's the approx distance?
Well we were carrying two Jerrycans each containing 40l each of diesel. And we had tanked up at Karu while heading off to Tso Moriri then we emptied it all by Hanle, before adding another 20l at Pangong Tso.

The total distance we covered Delhi & back was about 4500km.
Old 6th February 2011, 15:49   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Paco.
Maybe we'll cross each other later this year in Ladakh ;-). Dates not finalized yet, but most probably june it would be.
The dates getting finalised are in the second fortnight of May. We will take the Srinagar route on both sides.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 16:45   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it is possible to rent a taxi from Manali if one is ok with losing a self-drive option. But i guess that is not something we all like, hiring a self-drive car rental turns out to be quite expensive i think and guess that is why it has not been so popular yet.
Regarding astronomy, the best site in India is in Hanle Ladakh where there the astronomists from Bangalore have setup a high altitude observatory remote controlled from Bangalore.
Personally, I find it irritating to have a driver on such travels. In Europe/ US it is cheaper to rent a selfdriven car than one with a driver. For some reason, this doesnt seem to have picked up in India at all. Must be a vicious cycle! I am sure there is demand for such rentals, just that the rules/ deposit may not seem very tempting

Last edited by selfdrive : 6th February 2011 at 16:46. Reason: word correction
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 20:30   #203
BHPian

Default Re: Awesome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
Man...
After reading this.. I feel like buying my 4 X 4 asap and going on this trip.

I also have Tawang on my agenda in next 1-2 years.
It has been fun. I can imagine how much fun would it have been for you to experience this. I 'll make it a point to meet you in Delhi before i plan for this trip.

-Ajay
Tawang is next year for us! Will keep you posted!
Old 6th February 2011, 23:01   #204
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: 4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh

Quote:
In Ladakh, the possible places for refuelling (at pumps) are limited. The places include, Kargil, Mulbekh on the Srinagar - Leh highway. Leh, Karu & if i am not mistaken there's one new that has come up at Diskit last year. Though availability is not that great always at that pump.
Basically fuel supply is very limited, i might drive to places only where fuel availability is not a concern as space that i will have may not be very much (Something that is bound to happen with kids)

Quote:
Which car do your drive? Diesel? It's also possible to buy in black from local guys at certain places, like Pangong Tso. So rest assured Fuel should be your last point of worry.
I am in the process of buying my next car, will post another thread on buying experience and test drives. Your thread (among others) have surely impacted what i would be buying
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 09:50   #205
BHPian

Quote:

When I started planning earlier in January for our trip in May-June, we were just three of us on the trip. Me, My Wife and My 5yo Chimp. The highest altitude my kid has ever seen in Mahabaleshwar and the longest drive ever seen by him has been the 8hr drive to Goa. But, his father, that is me, was subjected to a lot more when he was of the same age (real high altitude strain). My two cents on your predicament is that a) Human Body can take a lot more strain without discomfort, than what humans think, b) Children's ability in so far as point a is concerned is at least three times more, and c) One needs to take precautions whenever one is moving off to an environment which is alien to the one acclimitised to. Inferences are for you to make, but if you ask me, it'll be OK. And that's no guarantee that I may not be proved wrong, but then what the heck, let me try and fail than not try at all.

This is my third read of this blog, and I have been making notes. My dad (63, High BP, High Blood Sugar) now wants to join in and be my co-driver!

Best Wishes, MayankJha1806!
Old 7th February 2011, 14:31   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
This is my third read of this blog, and I have been making notes. My dad (63, High BP, High Blood Sugar) now wants to join in and be my co-driver!

Best Wishes, MayankJha1806!
I'm elated to know that you've gone through the log three times now! Glad to be of help to you. It's also nice to know that your dad is planning the trip and be your co-driver. It's quite courageous, though not uncommon. I've come across a couple of logs where elderly couples have done Ladakh trips in a Wagon-R at 63+! Hats off to your dad and others who willingly take the decision to do this.
Old 9th February 2011, 15:57   #207
BHPian

Absolutely stunning pictures!

Great write up too, at many occasions I felt as if I am right there while reading the text and seeing the pictures.

Last edited by danny25 : 9th February 2011 at 16:22.
danny25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 12:42   #208
BHPian

Amazing travelogue. Absolutely loved it. Good work.
Janjua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 14:58   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny25 View Post
Absolutely stunning pictures!

Great write up too, at many occasions I felt as if I am right there while reading the text and seeing the pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Amazing travelogue. Absolutely loved it. Good work.
Thanks guys for words of appreciation.
Old 28th March 2011, 12:32   #210
BHPian

High quality photography, excellent narration !

Thanks for sharing.
5 stars all the way

Commnder Nandu Chitnis (Retd)
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote