Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th August 2010, 08:12   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Oh man. I'm just so lost for words. I'm absolutely dumbstruck by the beauty of the place and I'm just speechless by each of your photographs. Each pic deserves a 5-star.

Brilliant photography harsh. One of the best travelogues I'm come across in TBHP. Great stuff.
Thanks //M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaduri View Post
Great Narration,amazing pics,wonderful journey,mesmerising peaks,inviting terrain......

Thumbs up to you,partner and your kiang.

Shantanu
Thank you Shantanu.
vardhan.harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 10:05   #107
BHPian

Mindblowing.

Step 1: Get a job in NCR
Step 2: Convince the worse half to move from Blore to NCR
Step 3: Buy the fatty Kiang. (GX 4x4 too exp; will 2wd do?)
Step 4: Get a nice camera (already done, D90)
Step 5: Make this trip

or do Step 3 & 5 from Blore.
- which hasnt been happening since 2 years now - 1 the taxes in KA make the fatty very expensive; and 2 such a trip from here will toooo long.

cheers
lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 10:22   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Mindblowing.

Step 1: Get a job in NCR
Step 2: Convince the worse half to move from Blore to NCR
Step 3: Buy the fatty Kiang. (GX 4x4 too exp; will 2wd do?)
Step 4: Get a nice camera (already done, D90)
Step 5: Make this trip

or do Step 3 & 5 from Blore.
- which hasnt been happening since 2 years now - 1 the taxes in KA make the fatty very expensive; and 2 such a trip from here will toooo long.

cheers
Step 2: I hope your wife does not watch this thread :P
Step 3: You cannot buy the "Kiyang", it's not up for sale, but of course you can buy a safari when you want. If gx 4x4 is too expensive then go for the base model of safari for 4x4, whihc is EX 4x4. When i bought it the price difference between GX and EX was 1 lakh. Though drive safely after that, EX does not have ABS.
Step 4: Good job. I found D90 too expensive for my budget :(
Step 5: Definitely do this one. It's worth it.
--

Or fly to leh and rent a vehicle there.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:12   #109
BHPian

Its one of the best travel stories I have read recently. One must congratulate you for such great photography and the breezy narration.
However, while I am at that, I must complaint about your speed. Please post up more frequently.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 15:18   #110
t18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post

Or fly to leh and rent a vehicle there.
Amazing, mindblowing, FANtastic TL. Just the kind of inspiration one needs to do this kind of adventure.

BTW, can we get a 4*4 self drive rental in Leh.
t18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 20:53   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
Superb travelouge. Can't add anything which others have not said already.

However, one point left me uneasy: - yours chasing the kiyangs. But then thats just me.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 22:06   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Our permits were checked for the first time at the check-post in Loma. The Officer-in-Charge at the post was quite surprised to see us since he did not remember allowing us to proceed towards Hanle. We had to then explain our entire route to him, upon hearing which he was quite taken aback. We also told him about the wrong turn we took to Dungti, and he sure was not happy to hear that. He told us about an incident when a couple of days before a group of bikers coming from Chushul had been warned not to go towards Dungti, but they had done so nevertheless, pissing off the officer big time, who'd hence decided not to let anyone proceed towards Chushul, even if they had the required permits. It took us an hour of some serious persuasion before he finally let us pass towards Chushul. However, I must add that the guy was extremely kind and offered us lunch, which in fact was pretty tasty .
I wish your cam could capture the smile of the officer if he reading this.
I know this is some stupid imagination but i wonder if the guy ever reads this travelouge he surely would really have a beautiful smile on his face

Last edited by Rastapopoulos : 27th August 2010 at 22:07.
Rastapopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 11:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to add to what has already been said. Wonderful journey and an equally wonderful log! Thanks for taking the time out for sharing it with us.

Tso Moriri and Tso Kar didn't interest you or was there any other hurdle?

Posted a similar query on Tanveer's thread, puting it up here as well.
Link:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2046848-post536.html (5000kms and 12 Passes, a 20 day wild wild ride to the roof of the world!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Great stuff there Tanvir. 36 Pages of pure bliss!! So want to do this stretch.

I see this developing as a great tourist destination, I sincerely hope it is not spoiled like our other run-of-the-mill hill stations.

Tso Moriri,Tso Kar, Kyun Tso still seem to be off the 'tourist' radar! Hope it stays that way! By the way, are Tso Moriri and Tso Kar approachable from Hanle as well as Leh? The bigger question, can you take your vehicle right upto the lake? Like in case of Pangong?
Dry Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 12:09   #114
BHPian

Amazing pics and crispy narration Harsh,
Thanks again for sharing them, waiting for the next update.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 13:02   #115
BHPian

hey harsh!

a lovely read bud and a lot of really nice pictures. looking forward to more stuff as and when you can spew it out!

take care and be safe mano,
ak
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 00:29   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Its one of the best travel stories I have read recently. One must congratulate you for such great photography and the breezy narration.
However, while I am at that, I must complaint about your speed. Please post up more frequently.
I'm sorry sen2009 for my speed. Work has been really crazy last week and too many chores at home this weekend. I promise i'll try to up the ante this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18 View Post
Amazing, mindblowing, FANtastic TL. Just the kind of inspiration one needs to do this kind of adventure.

BTW, can we get a 4*4 self drive rental in Leh.
Thanks t18. I've no idea about rentals buddy, though would love to know about it once you get an idea. Then it might be fun planning a trip to Leh in winters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Superb travelouge. Can't add anything which others have not said already.

However, one point left me uneasy: - yours chasing the kiyangs. But then thats just me.

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks Sutripta. Yeah, i'm not too proud about the chasing kiangs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
I wish your cam could capture the smile of the officer if he reading this.
I know this is some stupid imagination but i wonder if the guy ever reads this travelouge he surely would really have a beautiful smile on his face
I doubt that the guy (Jaat) would ever read this in on team-bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Nothing to add to what has already been said. Wonderful journey and an equally wonderful log! Thanks for taking the time out for sharing it with us.

Tso Moriri and Tso Kar didn't interest you or was there any other hurdle?

Posted a similar query on Tanveer's thread, puting it up here as well.
Link:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2046848-post536.html (5000kms and 12 Passes, a 20 day wild wild ride to the roof of the world!)
Both Tso Moriri and Tso kar were fantasic! We had spent only a couple of hours at Tso Kar & a night at Tso Moriri. There were loads of other areas to explore.

Both these lakes are approachable from Leh as well as Hanle. Checkout the map below to know the routemap of Changthang region. It's difficult to drive all the way up to Tso Kar since it is quite marshy. However we managed to drive all the way upto Tso Moriri though i would strictly advise you to do that if you ahve a 4x4. It's quite sandy there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Amazing pics and crispy narration Harsh,
Thanks again for sharing them, waiting for the next update.
I intend to come out with the next update tomorrow for sure. A little late now to update the log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
hey harsh!

a lovely read bud and a lot of really nice pictures. looking forward to more stuff as and when you can spew it out!

take care and be safe mano,
ak
Thanks ak, promise the next update tomorrow.

Last edited by vardhan.harsh : 30th August 2010 at 00:32.
Old 30th August 2010, 00:34   #117
BHPian

Default Map: Nubra & Changthang (Ladakh)

Map Version 3.0.2 of Nubra + Changthang Area. It's still is a work in progress and more areas will be added soon as we go on more trips.
4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-mapversion3.0.2.jpg
Old 30th August 2010, 21:32   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sutripta. Yeah, i'm not too proud about the chasing kiangs too.
Good to know we are on the same page!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 06:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both Tso Moriri and Tso kar were fantasic! We had spent only a couple of hours at Tso Kar & a night at Tso Moriri. There were loads of other areas to explore.

Both these lakes are approachable from Leh as well as Hanle. Checkout the map below to know the routemap of Changthang region. It's difficult to drive all the way up to Tso Kar since it is quite marshy. However we managed to drive all the way upto Tso Moriri though i would strictly advise you to do that if you ahve a 4x4. It's quite sandy there.
Thanks for the info, Harsh.

And must say, quite a map!
BTW, how did you go about making it? Using your GPS tracks as a reference or Google etc. maps?
Dry Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 13:31   #120
BHPian

Quote:
However we managed to drive all the way upto Tso Moriri though i would strictly advise you to do that if you ahve a 4x4. It's quite sandy there.
Wish I'd received this advice when I'd been there! Tried to drive down to the beach and almost got stuck in the sand (one tire got stuck), only a short distance away from the check post. Had to turn tail and get out of there. Got a lecture from the Jawaan stationed at the post though about trying my foolish antics.

Come on Harsh, where's the next post buddy! Hurry
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote