Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st September 2010, 12:38   #121
BHPian

harsh bhai please have some mercy on the poor souls who has little recourse but travelogs such as your to 'live the life'. Please continue your story.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 15:42   #122
BHPian

Oh wooow Harsh, I really am blown away! What a fantastic trip! Mind blowing! And very brave I must add going to places where you know you may not meet anyone if something were to go bad. The Chumur-Hanle stretch was a pretty brave effort I must add.

You truly have inspired me to go off the beaten track. Being new to India I had no idea there was soo much more to see in Ladakh other that the already mind blowing normal route which most people take from Barachala la to Moreh plains to Leh.

I have made a detailed report of my own of your wonderful trip, and hopefully will be following it to the word when I head there sometime in 2012.

And just an observation, on pages 5 & 6, your day 8 title says "Day 8 (17th June): Tso Moriri - "CHUSHUL" - Hanle : 180 km - 10 hrs - Part 1 & Part 2"

I think it should have said " Day 8 (17th June): Tso Moriri - "CHUMUR" - Hanle : 180 km - 10 hrs - Part 1 & Part 2".

Looking forward eagerly to the rest of your trip.

Happy Motoring
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 20:53   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Vardhan's biscuits were all eaten by a marmot on 26th August (that's 5 days ago), leaving him stranded in the Harsh terrain of Ladakh, with no energy to complete the travelogue. BHPians please pool your resources together and send this guy some biscuits, so he can regain his energy & start writing again.

@Harsh: Just pulling your leg. Get on with the travelogue, will you?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:33   #124
BHPian

Without a doubt, the most amazing, perfect and complete travelogue ever on T-Bhp! Kudos to both of you for completing this trip, narrating it with such panache and helping us live the experience, albeit virtually!
Way to go!
mathranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 22:08   #125
BHPian

Sorry guys for lack of update. Blame it on flu, back in action again now.
vardhan.harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 22:24   #126
BHPian

Default Day 11 (20th June): Tangtse - Shayok - Agham - Panamik : 150 km - 5.5 hrs

Day 11 saw a very very late start! We were pretty tired after our Changthang roller-coaster, and simply did not feel like waking up early. Of course, another reason for us being lazy was that our planned drive for the day was not heavy. The target was to reach Panamik by late afternoon, through the Shayok - Agam route. After a breakfast of oily paranthas, we zoomed off!

The road to Shayok cuts off from Darbuk, and one enters a very narrow but beautiful valley. The road follows the Shyok river, and climbs up a mountain before finally descending into Shayok village. It took us less than an hour to reach Shayok, and we were delighted at the sight of the rather big village surrounded by barren mountains, the entire setting being very picturesque. As we moved on, we saw a sign-board that literally made us halt in our tracks! It said "Shayok and Agam straight, 'DBO' right"!!! DBO?! Was there a road till DBO? We really could not believe our eyes! For the uninitiated, DBO stands for Daulat Beg Oldi, which lies at the easternmost point of the Karakoram Range, very close to the Chinese and Pakistani borders. Although it is a cold desert, the Indian Air Force has an operational airbase there. After several moments of disbelief, I eventually concluded that the BRO must've made a road along the Shyok river. Super!

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-407_drive-through-shyok-nubra.jpg
Narrow valley from Darbuk to Shayok

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-408_shyok-village.jpg
First full view of the beautifully isolated Shayok village

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-409_drive-through-shyok-nubra.jpg
Hats off to BRO, they've built a road till DBO!

Once we got over the shock that there actually is a road all the way up till DBO, and over the disappointment that we may never be able to go there, we moved on. Time and again we saw stones lying on the road, evidences of recent landslides, and could not help but remember the words of a taxi driver we'd met in Spangmik who kept advising us against taking this road because of the frequency of landslides on it. Hoping not to find a road-block, we drove on, stopping intermittently to take a photograph or two. After about an hour, the tarred road gave way to a kuchha one, and a short while later, we reached a stretch where one literally had to drive on sand! Despite Kiyang being on 4H, it was skidding a bit, but we managed to keep the car on the 'road'. The only problem we encountered on the stretch was a patch where one had to climb and descend a mini mountain of mud and slush. We did it carefully and fairly comfortably, thanks to the 4L mode, but several taxis we'd met earlier apparently had had a bad time crossing it, and had warned us about it.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-410_drive-through-shyok-nubra.jpg
There were tarred roads for a while

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-411_drive-through-shyok-nubra.jpg
Tarred roads gave way to sand and stones route

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-412_drive-through-shyok-nubra.jpg
The notorious bridge on this particular route, we were lucky to have crossed it without hassles that day

At Agam, we saw a road branching off towards Tangyar, 11 km away. This was the road to Wari-La, and we were extremely disappointed on being unable to do it, since the pass was still entirely covered in snow. I wanted to go up till Tangyar and ask the villagers there about the current status of Wari La, but Aarti persuaded me with great difficulty that there was no point in doing so. Thus we moved on, and soon reached Khalsar, where we reported to the TCP, and also stopped for a lunch of Thukpa, which had been our staple diet in the interiors. Soon the sand dunes came into view, and we were glad to finally be in the Nubra Valley, even though we were already missing the desolation of Changthang. The road to Panamik is very pretty, lined with trees and pink bushes, and the road too is awesome. We'd checked into the Hot Springs guest house by late afternoon, and planned to go out to make some phone calls in the evening.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-413_drive-through-shyok-nubra.jpg
Agam village

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-414_drive-through-shyok-nubra.jpg
The drive post Agam is a breeze towards Nubra

The only phone, a satellite phone,.in the area was in a village called 'Murgi' (funny!) on the other side of the Nubra river, and it took us quite sometime to reach it. The phone was in the house of the Sarpanch of the village, and while we were making calls, he arranged for some drinks and snacks for us. The people of Ladakh are really very hospitable and a pleasure to interact with! When we started back towards Panamik, the sun had set, and we had probably an hour of light remaining. We still wanted to go to the 'wishing pond' which I'd read about and also seen on our way to Panamik earlier in the day. The wishing pond is a small body of water surrounded on all sides by small hills, on the side of the road, some 10 km before Panamik when one is coming from Khalsar. One has to climb the hills, and then descend to the lake. We managed to do it before it got dark, and then reached our hotel by 8 pm. After a dinner of momos and soup, we hit the sack, looking forward to our visit to Turtuk the next day.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-415_nubra-valley.jpg
The beautiful Nubra and Murgi town opposite the river

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-416_nubra-valley.jpg
River at Panamik

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-417_nubra-valley.jpg
It was late when we reached the wishing pond

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-418_nubra-valley.jpg
The wishing pond close to Panamik
Old 9th September 2010, 22:48   #127
BHPian

Default Day 12 (21st June): Panamik - Hundar - Turtuk : 140 km - 6 hrs

To be very honest, I didn't like Panamik too much, and you can't blame me... after all, it really was nothing compared to Changthang! Aarti had been there earlier, so for her too Panamik didn't hold too much. As a result, both of us were now all the more excited to explore Turtuk. Since we had a lot of distance to cover, we left early, and reached the bifurcation towards Hundar in an hour. The next 2 km are beautiful, with the road stretching in a straight line, and nothing but white sand on both sides. After some clicking on this stretch, we drove quickly to Hunder, only stopping to capture the confluence of the Nubra and the Shyok rivers from a view-point on the road.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-418a_drive-towards-hundar-panamik.jpg
Drive out of Panamik

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-419_drive-hundar.jpg
BRO never fails to crack us up

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-420__nubra-valley.jpg
Nubra Panorama - 1

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-421_nubra-panorama.jpg
Nubra Panorama - 2

It was very hot on the sand dunes in Hundar, and we didn't stop there for long. Just drove Kiyang across the river, met the Bactrian camels, and then were on our way to Turtuk. The first photo op on this route was the air strip at THOISE (The Halting Of Indian Soldiers Enroute). The long strip in the wide valley surrounded by huge, barren mountains was truly a beautiful sight! Immediately after THOISE, the valley narrows, and the landscape starts turning a dark shade of grey from the usual brown. The almost black colour makes the mountains look even bigger and gives the valley a creepy feeling. Every 10 km or so you encounter a check-post, and your permits are checked on every other stoppage. The Army men are very polite, and welcome you with cheery 'hello, kahan se aaye (where have you come from)?' greetings. It was at one of these check-posts where we had to enter our name in their log that we noticed that we were in fact the 12th tourists to visit Turtuk ever! Quite a feeling that was!

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-427_stream-crossing-hundar-dunes.jpg
River crossing just for the heck of it

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-435_camels-hundar-dunes.jpg
Bactrian Camel at Nubra

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-436_enroute-turtuk-hundar.jpg
Multiple chortens post Hundar check-post

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-438_enroute-turtuk-hundar.jpg
The airstrip at THOISE

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-441_enroute-turtuk-hundar.jpg
Dark mountains begin post Hundar towards Turtuk

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-442_enroute-turtuk-hundar.jpg
The Shyok valley narrows as we approach Turtuk

As we entered the the village of Bukdang, 25 km before Turtuk, we realized that we'd left Buddhism behind and were now in an entirely Muslim area. Somehow, one always relates Ladakh to Buddhism, but the fact is that nearly 46% of the total population of Ladakh are Muslims. At Chalunka, about 10 km before Turtuk, we gave a ride to a Muslim family of 5, who directed us straight to the PWD rest house when we finally reached Turtuk around 2:30 pm. Since the caretaker wasn't around, we were re-directed to the police station, where the local cop took all our details and a photocopy of our permit. When the caretaker finally arrived, we put our stuff in the rest house (quite good for Turtuk) and then went to the 'Mini Restaurant' for some lunch. The restaurant has been recently opened by Mir and Amin, two brothers, and serves basic food. Meeting them and eating at their little restaurant is an absolute must for all visitors to Turtuk! The PWD rest house is, as of now, the only option to stay in Turtuk. However, many guest houses were under construction, and should be up and running by next month.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-444_enroute-turtuk-hundar.jpg
Almost reached Turtuk

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-445_at-turtuk.jpg
The green Turtuk village from above

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-452_at-turtuk.jpg
The green Turtuk valley

One of the first things that strike you about Turtuk is its proximity to Pakistan. The border is a mere 6 km from the village, and although civilians aren't allowed beyond Turtuk, the locals told us that one can easily see into Pakistani villages from the LoC. During the Kargil war, Turtuk also experienced some severe shelling, and the entire village had to be evacuated.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-453_at-turtuk.jpg
The mountains ahead are in Pakistan!

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-454_at-turtuk.jpg
Bunkers on the Indian side, the mountain is in Pakistan and has bunkers (not visible) of it's own

After freshening up, we decided to explore the village a bit. Amin offered to show us around the village, and we were more than happy to accept. Soon we were following him into the small lanes of Turtuk village, searching for a certain Mohd. Khan who knew about the history of Turtuk better than anyone else in the village. We crossed by the village mosque before we reached his home, and decided to stop and have a look inside. The kids in the village were surprised to see us as they were still not accustomed to tourists. They followed us wherever we went, giggling all the time! After spending some time at the mosque, we moved on and reached Mohd. Khan's house. To our dismay, he was not there, but his daughter was quite happy to show us around and explain whatever she knew about the history of Turtuk. Their family was apparently the descendants of the royal Yabgo dynasty which ruled these parts before British India. She showed us the house, and took us to a the locked drawing room upstairs which had, amongst other things, the complete family tree of the Yabgo dynasty, painted on a wall by Mohd. Khan himself. After spending a while at their home, we ventured ahead into the fields of Turtuk.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-456_at-turtuk.jpg
Kids at Turtuk mosque

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-459_at-turtuk.jpg
The rickety staircase at Turtuk mosque

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-460_at-turtuk.jpg
Girls at Turtuk

On our way back, we bumped into Mohd. Khan who was on his way home, and he promptly invited us again to his home and then took us on a historical ride of Turtuk. He began with an explanation of the origins of the Yabgo dynasty and the area in Baltistan under their control. He spoke of the state of affairs in Turtuk before 1971, when it was a part of Pakistan. He also spoke of the tragedies of the ill-fated war which broke apart a lot of families in a single day. He told us of the freedom they enjoyed being a part of India and the helpful nature of the Indian army. He also mentioned his happiness at Turtuk being finally opened to tourists, both Indian and international. We were truly amazed by his stories, and it gave us a whole new perspective to understand Turtuk and it's people in a better way.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-462_at-turtuk.jpg
The Yabgo Dynasty tree

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-464_at-turtuk.jpg
Mohd. Khan's family at Turtuk, the eldest one is his daughter

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-465_at-turtuk.jpg
Green fields atop a hill at Turtuk

After nearly 4 hours of roaming around and chatting to people in the village, we realized that it was about time we proceeded towards the "restaurant" for some food. A sumptuous meal was prepared by Mir and Amin, and while we were enjoying it, we had our first encounter with two sleuths from the Intelligence Bureau, who had dropped by the restaurant to check us out!

With our belly full, we retired to our cozy room at the guest house. Tomorrow we would be driving on the highest (or should I say the second highest ) motorable road in the world... it was going to be a long day.
Old 10th September 2010, 06:54   #128
Senior - BHPian

@Harsh : Your travelogue is coming up well. As already stated on the other forum, I find the contrast and the saturation a bit high for my eyes .

Please keep the pace up a bit especially there is a 3 day break ahead and most of its Ctrl C&V,
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 08:08   #129
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic, just fantastic! I've been following this thread without any comment so far. But now I've to agree with MileCruncher.. please keep the pace.

By the way, we must have crossed each other somewhere on our way. Sometime before 15th June. May be.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 10:16   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@Harsh : Your travelogue is coming up well. As already stated on the other forum, I find the contrast and the saturation a bit high for my eyes .

Please keep the pace up a bit especially there is a 3 day break ahead and most of its Ctrl C&V,
Lol. True. But even Ctrl C & V requires some time since the photographs need to be uploaded again. The longer break was due to flu. Intend to wrap this log up asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Fantastic, just fantastic! I've been following this thread without any comment so far. But now I've to agree with MileCruncher.. please keep the pace.

By the way, we must have crossed each other somewhere on our way. Sometime before 15th June. May be.
Thanks Rudra, Which car were you in ? And where do you think we might've crossed?
Old 10th September 2010, 10:22   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Thanks Rudra, Which car were you in ? And where do you think we might've crossed?
We were in a white hard top Gypsy. You can see her on my thread.
Can't really say where or when but remembering seeing few Safaris. And some them were black for sure.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 10:27   #132
BHPian

Default Day 13 (22nd June): Turtuk - Hundar - Khardung La - Leh: 210 km - 8 hrs

We woke up to a beautiful morning in Turtuk, quickly got ready, and were back in the Mini Restaurant by 8 am for breakfast. Some delicious cheese omelettes and paranthas served as the perfect start to a perfect day.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-465_at-turtuk.jpg
Mir & Amin - the perfect hosts

Our journey from Turtuk to Hundar was uneventful, except for a sighting of some wild (?) Bactrian camels just before THOISE. We were looking forward to driving on the straight stretch of road right before one reaches the bifurcation towards Panamik, and also to capture that stretch on camera. However, right before we reached it, there was another road which said "Khalsar loop road" and we thought why not take it, not realizing that we would miss the straight road. Anyway, we did get a good shot of that stretch from the road we were driving on since it was quite high.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-466_camels-hundar.jpg
Wild (?) Bactrian Camels

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-467_camels-hundar.jpg
Wild (?) Bactrian Camels

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-468_long-flat-road-diskit.jpg
The straight road through the sand dunes

We stopped for lunch at Khardung village, and were at K-top by 3:15 pm. The final 15 km, after North Pullu, were quite bad, with the snow being recently cleared from the road, thus making it pretty narrow and full of potholes. The top was infested with tourists getting themselves photographed in all kinds of poses, so we didn't spend too much time there. We were also extremely disappointed at finding the souvenir shop at K-top closed, since we'd planned to buy many gifts from there.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-469_climb-khardung-la.jpg
The ascent to Khardung La begins

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-470_climb-khardung-la.jpg
Heavily snowed under

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-472_climb-khardung-la.jpg
That's the final approach road to the pass

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-474_climb-khardung-la.jpg
The path left behind

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-477_at-khardung-la.jpg
The board at Khardung La is difficult to shoot with people hogging it. :twisted:

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-476_at-khardung-la.jpg
Some chortens at Khardunga La

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-478_stok-kangri-descent-khardung-la.jpg
A zoomed shot of Stok Kangri (?); taken while descending to Leh from Khardung La

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-480_khardung-la-frog.jpg
Crass commercialisation of Khardung La: the Khardung La frog

We'd already booked our hotel in Leh from the satellite phone in Murgi village, so we drove straight to the now familiar Padma Hotel. The plan for the evening was to shop around a bit, but we were really tired and didn't feel like shopping. We also had a decision to make - to head back to Manali the next morning, or to spend the next day in Leh, visiting a monastery or two and get some shopping done. We decided in favour of the latter, primarily because we had an extra day in our itinerary, and also because Harsh hadnít visited a single monastery yet in Ladakh.

After a not-so-good dinner, we went up to the Shanti Stupa for an evening shot, and then went back to the Hotel to sleep like thereís no tomorrow!

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-481_shanti-stupa-leh.jpg
Evening shot of Shanti Stupa
Old 13th September 2010, 14:26   #133
BHPian

Default Day 14 (23rd June): Rest day at Leh : Day visit to Thiksey: 50 km

We were in no mood to start this day early, and even though we were up at 8 am, we only got ready by 11 am. A lazy brunch followed at the 'Pumpernickel' (I love that name!) German Bakery, which by the way is the only place in Leh to get hold of some delicious Yak cheese. We had planned to do some shopping in the main bazaar, basically to pick up some souvenirs for our friends and family. Also on the list was to buy a pair of sun-glasses for me, since I'd absentmindedly dropped his pair in a drain the evening before.

After the delicious brunch, we set off to visit the Thiksey monastery. It was 12:30 pm when we reached, and had only about 20 minutes to roam around and click pictures before the monastery closed for lunch. We then picked up some gifts from the souvenir shop there, and decided to head back to Leh.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-484_thiksey.jpg
The giant Buddha at Thiksey

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-486_thiksey.jpg
The pyramidal Thiksey Gompa

The primary agenda for the day was to relax, thus afternoon siesta happened. Then, at about 4 pm, we set off again to the main bazaar, this time with a clear agenda to shop. Spent a couple of hours buying knick-knacks, which also included two 'The North Face' jackets for ourselves , and then headed to Choglamsar to give Kiyang a nice shower before it embarked on the Leh-Manali highway the next day.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-487_car-wash-choglamsar.jpg
I washed Kiyang himself (while Aarti sat inside, listening to music, and taking photographs such as this one ), since the only guy there was busy with some other car

A lavish continental dinner at the newly renovated Sunbeam Cafe on Old Fort road served as the perfect end to wonderfully relaxing day. The next three days ride back to Delhi were going to be long and hectic, and we were now all set and rejuvenated to face them.
Old 13th September 2010, 18:16   #134
BHPian

Default Day 15 (24rth June): Leh - Tanglang La - Pang - Sarchu - Baralacha La - Part 1 of 2

The IMD website had predicted rain with snowfall in the higher reaches in areas near Keylong. This coupled with the fact that the Manali-Leh highway is notoriously unstable, we decided to dash till Jispa on Day 15. It obviously meant an early start to the day from Leh and we were on our way at about 6:30 am. Since the drive till Tanglang La had been covered a week back, we decided not to take pitstops for photography or anything else till then. We were at Debring by 9:30 am and stopped for tea. The stall owner was pleasantly surprised to see us again after a week and asked us if we had printed the photographs we'd taken of him and his gang of friends. We had not done it in Leh, so promised him that we'd send it by courier after reaching Delhi (which we finally did some time back ).

Soon it was time to leave, and we were stretching outside the tea-tent when we saw a 500 cc bullet leave the road and come straight towards me! This was pretty odd, I thought. The guy slowed down and shouted a nickname for me which only my college friends knew! He was covered from head to toe in his riding gear, thus I was not able to recognize him. He turned out to be an old friend who was staying in the same hostel as me during my college days. He saw a black Safari parked outside the tent, and was hoping to find me, and voila! It was good fun to unexpectedly run into an old friend. We exchanged notes on the route ahead and we then moved on in opposite directions.

A km later we were at the same bifurcation we'd taken a week back, the road to the left leading towards Tso Kar, and our hearts were aching to again take the cut which leads to the enchanting Changthang plateau! However, better sense prevailed, and we marched on towards Manali. The Moreh plains had begun and it was an awesome feeling to drive on them! It was a dream come true for us, and we were enjoying every second of it! Aarti was on the wheel, and looking at the smooth hills on the left, she suddenly felt like driving Kiyang on them. I, of course, is always ready for off-roading action, and we quickly identified a hill which seemed fit for the adventure. Also, this particular hill, by our estimates, seemed exactly west of Tso Kar, and hence if we managed to reach the top, we would have a commanding view of the lake. We were three-quarters of our way up, when we mutually decided not to go any further, since the gradient had increased, and the climb did not look easy anymore. Also, I had seen a couple of Stallions on the road below, and was getting anxious since another shouting from the Army was the last thing I wanted! In hindsight, the climb to the top was doable, although a tad difficult, and would've given excellent views of Tso Kar. :( But I guess with the Manali-Leh highway, there's always a next time! ;-)

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-488_cross-roads-manali-tso-kar.jpg
The bifurcation at the GREF camp near Debring

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-489_moreh-plains.jpg
The tarred road on Moreh plains would soon end

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-490_moreh-plains.jpg
The hill which we climbed is on the extreme left, the one with the narrow green patch on it

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-491_moreh-plains.jpg
The view below from the hill we climbed, after we'd descended a quarter of our way

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-494_moreh-plains.jpg
Back on the plains

We were on the plains again, but the tarred road had now ended. It was a dirt track from here on till the edge, and was being rebuilt and widened by BRO. There was a track immediately to the left, but was quite bumpy for our liking. Thus we decided to drive in the middle of the plains. It again was a dry marshy track with bumps, but at least a lot less dusty. We saw a Baleno with multiple punctures abandoned in the middle of nowhere. Soon, we came to the edge of the plains and it was a quite a sight below! I could imagine the excitement of travellers, doing this stretch for the first time from Manali to Leh, on being greeted with this sight! We took a couple of shots there and hurried further towards Pang. Looking at the photographs now, we feel that we could've gone further on the plains along the edge, but at that time all we could think of was to reach Jispa in time.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-495_moreh-plains.jpg
Tarred roads about to end soon

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-497_moreh-plains.jpg
An abandoned tow truck on Moreh plains

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-498_moreh-plains.jpg
Drive anywhere!

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-499_river-end-moreh-plains.jpg
The edge of Moreh plains

A small descent later, we reached the military camp at Pang. It did have some dhabas, but we thought not to stop and moved ahead towards Sarchu, so as to reach Jispa before dark... however, a long day awaited us, and little did we know what we were about to face at Baralacha La...

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-502_pang.jpg
The military outpost at Pang

We crossed Pang at 11:45 am, and were just getting over the beauty of the Moreh plains when we saw one of the most beautiful landscapes unfolding before us... stark brown, barren, huge mountains, many of them shaped like ant-hills, surrounded us, and the blue sky dotted with beautiful white clouds just made the scenery look heavenly. We'd thought that we wouldn't find the Leh-Manali highway to be too beautiful, considering what we'd already seen, but we were so so wrong! The road stuck to the river mostly, climbing and descending at times, punctuated with small, pretty, green bridges. We soon crossed the much photographed 'gateway' formation, and then came to the notorious 'Kangla Jal', which we disappointingly crossed without fuss since there wasn't much water.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-504_pang-lachung-la.jpg
Is this the "3 idiots U-turn bridge", immediately after Pang ?

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-507_pang-lachung-la.jpg
Proceeding towards Lachulung La

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-508_pang-lachung-la.jpg
The mandatory 'gateway' formation shot

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-509_pang-lachung-la.jpg
Another bridge on the stretch

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-510_pang-lachung-la.jpg
Kangla Jal

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-511_pang-lachung-la.jpg
The disappointing water crossing at Kangla Jal. Did not live up to its notoriety.

Ahead of us were a Safari and a Scorpio travelling together, and when all of us stopped to capture some 'bharals' on the side of the road, we realized that they were the same people we'd met in Mulbekh, and then again in Leh. It's a good feeling to meet people you know, even though you may've just met them once, on such otherwise deserted roads.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-514_pang-lachung-la.jpg
Bharals

I ran after the bharals, got some good shots, and we moved on. The climb to Lachulung La was uneventful, although beautiful with snow everywhere. The pass isn't very scenic, and it was super windy at the top, so after a customary shot of the yellow sign and prayer flags, we began our descent. On the descent, we off-roaded a bit, and ended up saving some 5 km and a good 15 minutes! Soon we were climbing Nakee La, hardly an ascent, and there too after the same customary shot, we moved on, now excited to drive on the Gata Loops. We first came across a set of switchbacks which we mistook for the Gata Loops, but soon enough reached the sign which clearly stated 'Gata Loops start', and hence the confusion was cleared. Harsh, of course, was in no mood to do all of the 21 loops, and took the dangerously steep short-cuts wherever he could find one! After we crossed the Gata Loops, we caught the first sight of the pretty Tsarap Chu, which originates somewhere near Baralacha La, and is one of the tributaries of the Zanskar river.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-517_lachung-la.jpg
Lachulung La

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-521_descending-naki-la-via-shortcuts.jpg
Such detours are always a pleasure.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-522_begin-gata-loops.jpg
The infamous Gata Loops.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-523_shortcuts-gata-loops.jpg
This one was a little tricky to climb down.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-524_shortcuts-gata-loops.jpg
Shot during another one of those detours on Gata loops. They are so much fun!

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-525_tsarap-chu.jpg
That's Tsarap Chu as seen from the Gata Loops.

As we were crossing the Whiskey Nallah, we saw a bunch of bharals crossing the road ahead of us, and managed to get some shots of them. A while after crossing the Brandy Nallah, we came to the bridge which divides J&K and Himachal. Ironic, since bridges bridge, and don't divide, as a friend (bcmt id: nkd) later pointed out. The bridge was being repaired by a group of labourers, and while they fixed it, we marvelled at the amount of hard work they put in to keep these roads motorable. They deserve respect of the highest degree!

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-528_bharals-crossing-road.jpg
That's a "Bharal crossing"!

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-532_repair-work-before-sarchu.jpg
Respect!

Just as we crossed the bridge, and were about to reach Sarchu, we turned a corner and saw an overturned white Fortuner on the side of the road. Yes, OVERTURNED! Turned TURTLE! We were quite shocked and quickly stopped. Three men were standing next to the car, and talking with a GREF officer. The three men had been inside the Fortuner when it toppled, and were thankfully unharmed. What they explained as the cause of the accident was very strange... the guy who was driving said that he was at a very slow speed, and that as he turned the corner, the car lost control, skidded right, and toppled! The story was quite scary, especially for a new car like Fortuner. Anyway, they'd arranged for a tow truck, so we moved on, but the sight of the overturned Fortuner is still vivid in our memories!

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-533_upturned-fortuner.jpg
Overturned Fortuner! Wonder why? Technical failure? Bad driving? I think the former. But please do not quote me.

We reached Sarchu at 3:15 pm, and stooped for a quick lunch of some delicious dal-chawal at one of the tents there. We met a biker there, who told us about the horrible state in which Baralacha La was, and that it took him some 8 hours to reach Sarchu from Darcha. He also said that although it was difficult for small cars, our 4x4 Safari could cross easily, since the problematic stretch was only about 50m where a stream was literally flowing on the road. We realized that crossing the pass could be tricky, and hence rushed.

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-534_sarchu-plains.jpg
Approaching Sarchu

4500 km, Two Idiots & a Wild Safari in Ladakh-535_sarchu-plains.jpg
Sarchu Plains
Old 13th September 2010, 20:54   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
...saw an overturned white Fortuner...

...the accident was very strange... very slow speed, and that as he turned the corner, the car lost control, skidded right, and toppled!

Overturned Fortuner! Wonder why? Technical failure? Bad driving? I think the former. But please do not quote me.
You are referred to this thread (Dangerous part of Off-Roading) to look for reasons why! Fortuner, Safari, Scorpio, Pajero or Land Rover, they all do it. Turn turtle oh-so-easily in the wrong hands.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote