Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st August 2010, 00:01   #16
BHPian

Hey Vivek! nice pictures, liked the dscf-9320 little stream one the most. Can you post some more pictures please, smokies being a picturesque place. Planing to drive down there from Chicago. Is it possible to stay in a Knoxville hotel and explore the smokies? Will it involve too much graound to cover?
sindabad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 09:47   #17
BHPian

Hi Vivek,

Really nice pics. Loved the amazing colors on the mountain.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:05   #18
BHPian

FOR DRIVING / RIDING ENTHUSIASTS :

Not too far away (4+ hours 270 miles) from the Great Smokey Mountain National Park is the Blue Ridge Parkway - probably on the Top 10 US Scenic Drives.
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain View Post
Nice pics. I had been to Smokies couple of times, but never stayed in a cabin. Fall is the most beautiful time to visit in my opinion. Hopefully we might visit again for this fall & stay in a cabin.

Could you please share more info about cabin, like pricing, maintenance, neatness etc.

thanks.
it was as clean as a 2 bedroom rental anywhere in US. we spent ~600 for three nights, could have gotten a hotel in 1/4th of the price, but we wanted to experience it this time. you can look up their policies in the link i posed earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad View Post
Hey Vivek! nice pictures, liked the dscf-9320 little stream one the most. Can you post some more pictures please, smokies being a picturesque place. Planing to drive down there from Chicago. Is it possible to stay in a Knoxville hotel and explore the smokies? Will it involve too much graound to cover?
I don't see any advantage in staying in knoxville. you will probably spend the same money. drive to smoky will take time crossing severville, pigeon forge and gatlinburg (in that order). you can easily get a place in pigeon forge. gatlinburg is closest to the mountains and has a hill station feeling with a lot of pedestrian traffic (hence slow traffic). if in pigeon forge, use the gatlinburg bypass to reach smokies without getting stuck in gatlingburg. you can see it splits here.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

drive from chicago will be almost 11 hrs, reserve one day for going and another day for return. Or you can stop in cincinnati at night and drive in morning.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 02:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

vivek, Nice pics !! I went to Smokey in the last falls and your pics reminded a bit of that. But I have not done a night stay there yet. I heard from folks that it is amazing staying anight in a jungle beside a stream.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 02:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
FOR DRIVING / RIDING ENTHUSIASTS :

Not too far away (4+ hours 270 miles) from the Great Smokey Mountain National Park is the Blue Ridge Parkway - probably on the Top 10 US Scenic Drives.
+1.

I did an end-to-end ride on a rented convertible with one of my friend during memorial weekend last year. From smokies to Shenandoah, VA almost 400+ miles of scenic beauty. Fantastic ride.
idlebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:08   #22
BHPian

I went twice in 2008 and 2009 both around Fall season to watch colors.
It is a splendid place to visit and of-course the drive all the way was just awesome.

We went from Atlanta (240m~) and covered Glatinburg on the way

@Vivek - did you went to the building in Glatinburg (forgot the name) which looks like built upside down from inside &outside.

Thanks,
Kottee
Reisender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post

@Vivek - did you went to the building in Glatinburg (forgot the name) which looks like built upside down from inside &outside.

Thanks,
Kottee
Are you talking about "Ripley's Believe it or not"?
idlebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

saw it on the way but did not visit. I think it's in pigeon forge, not gatlinburg.

edit: fount it
http://www.wonderworkstn.com/
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote