Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st August 2010, 10:22   #76
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Thanks Joy.
So many places out there yet to visit!
Yes, I understand. Since I spent quite a bit of my early years there, I know that NE is a treasure house to be discovered. So many uncharted territory, so many places to visit, yet so little information is available.

You are doing a nice job, my friend. Do keep it up.

By the way, you seems to be a travel freak. I am following all your travelogues with enthusiasm. Good job.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 10:58   #77
BHPian

Default Some Ancients Pic of Kibithoo and beyond

Dear San & HVK,

Uploading some of the pics pre '91 & 89-I hope I am succesful in doing so??
Picture 1-On my way ahead of Kibithoo
Picture 2 A suspension bridge between Walong and Kibithoo
Picture 3 A VIP Landing at Kibithoo helipad.
Picture 4 Sorry a repetition
Picture 5 The last post of India-what you see ahead is China.
Regards,

Colonel J H Mayne
Attached Thumbnails
Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-jude.jpg  

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-jude1.jpg  

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-jude2.jpg  

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-jude3.jpg  

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-jude4.jpg  

Last edited by Judemayne : 21st August 2010 at 11:02. Reason: spellings
Judemayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 12:33   #78
Senior - BHPian

Some from my side (Apr 2009) - the road to Kibithu:

Near Namsai

Near Parshuram Kund

Parshuram Kund (Video image)

River Lohit at Parshuram Kund

River Lohit, climbing towards Hayuliang

Approaching Walong

Walong-Kibithu Road

Dong, near Kibithu

View from the Kibithu Helipad

Towards China

Sorry, San, for hijacking your thread!!!

All these photos were taken by my co-pax KS
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 12:49   #79
BHPian

Default Than you for the pics

Dear Mr H V Kumar & San

Cannot believe the gorgeous road from Walong to Kibithoo!!! Excellent pictures. In tose days we had to carry everything even sometimes a camera was cumbersome!
Thanks once again for those fantastic pics.
Col J H Mayne
Judemayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 14:46   #80
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear San & HVK,

Uploading some of the pics pre '91 & 89-I hope I am succesful in doing so??
Picture 1-On my way ahead of Kibithoo
Picture 2 A suspension bridge between Walong and Kibithoo
Picture 3 A VIP Landing at Kibithoo helipad.
Picture 4 Sorry a repetition
Picture 5 The last post of India-what you see ahead is China.
Regards,

Colonel J H Mayne
Thank you so much for sharing the pictures Sir. Being in the Army in a country like India is a blessing as one gets to see so many places which in turn gift us with wonderful memories.

Please do share memorable incidents / experiences during your post in the region apart from more photographs.

I visited Arunachal for the first time in 1996, Miao & Changlang town taking money from my uncle as parents won't allow. I wanted to go to Pangsau Pass then, but had just few rupees for bus rides to these two places only. Then there was't any digital camera but had taken few snaps in a Fuji film model.
San Phrangmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 15:02   #81
BHPian

HvK thanks for the ad, the more the better.
By the way did you cross Tezu, Chowkham as well on way.

Thanks Joy, but my younger brother is the real traveller, he's camped in Kaza right now exploring neighbouring villages after leaving Accenture job in Banglore. Parents are worried but he's talking a long long holiday. His next target though is Parvati valley! he he.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 21st August 2010 at 15:03.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:14   #82
MX6
Senior - BHPian

HVK, San
If any of you are on your way to those places again in the near future, I'd like to join you.
Judemayne. Those 20 year old photos are terrific. I can see the pride people have in sporting the uniform! Way to go. I regret not taking up the short service commission even more now.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 15:44   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
HvK thanks for the ad, the more the better.
By the way did you cross Tezu, Chowkham as well on way.

Route was as follows:
Tinsukhia-Dooma Dooma 25 kms-Rupai 3-Namsai 55-Chongkham 21-Kamleng 30-Wakro 6-Parshuram Kund 19-Salangam 46-Hayuliang 40-Changwinti 55-Yasong 24-Walong 21-Tilam 15-Namti 5-Dong 4-Kibithu 4, totalling 373 kms from Tinsukhia.

There are no petrol pumps after Kamleng, so you have to go and return 236 + 236 or 572 kms without refuelling. I refuelled at Kamleng - since I knew about the petrol pump - but bought it in loose at Kibithu. I beleive that there is a petrol pump at Khupa 5 kms before Hayuliang, but that is off the road 1-2 kms inside.

Don't try to trace this route in Google Maps, no roads exists. Moreover, the entire portion is marked as being part of LOC on the Chinese side!

When I went, the direct road to Tezu via Rupai and Chongkham was washed away and the only way to get to Tezu was by boat or by turning off this road 10 kms after Parashuram Kund. I did not go to Tezu. It may come as a surprise that although Tinsukhia itself is so far east in everyone's conscience (except perhaps the armyman's), that Kibithu is actually 373 kms further east of the so-called easternmost parts of India.

BTW, road can be messy after Parshuram Kund, and there are a few zones which see heavy landslides. I met a Scorpio taxi the previous day (before I went to Kibithu myself) who had his windshield shattered because a rock fell on it when he was driving on that road near Hayuliang. LUckily my co-pax KS was made of sterner stuff, else he may have refused to come with me to Kibithu. The excitement of going to the easternmost point in India (yes, this is the place which sees the first sunrise in India) was too tempting.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:45   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
HVK, San
If any of you are on your way to those places again in the near future, I'd like to join you.
Judemayne. Those 20 year old photos are terrific. I can see the pride people have in sporting the uniform! Way to go. I regret not taking up the short service commission even more now.
Sure Max, I drive alone always so to go as a team would be nice. Did you drive in Alaskan side, Yellowstone or the famed Route 62.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 21st August 2010 at 15:48.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

8 kms from Changwinti (mentioned in my earlier mail) is Hawai which I am told is the end of the road to the Burmese border. Therefore, this region is bordered by both Burma to the south and China to the east and north.

The permits to go to Kibithu can be obtained at Dibrugarh. I got it organised in advance by a travel agent there. I am told that the road to Kibithu is navigable only in Nov-Mar, rest of the year it rains sp heavily as to make it impassable in many places. So here is a reverse Ladakh phenomena - closed during summers, open during winters, unlike Ladakh which is the reverse!
Old 21st August 2010, 15:58   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Route was as follows:
Tinsukhia-Dooma Dooma 25 kms-Rupai 3-Namsai 55-Chongkham 21-Kamleng 30-Wakro 6-Parshuram Kund 19-Salangam 46-Hayuliang 40-Changwinti 55-Yasong 24-Walong 21-Tilam 15-Namti 5-Dong 4-Kibithu 4, totalling 373 kms from Tinsukhia.

There are no petrol pumps after Kamleng, so you have to go and return 236 + 236 or 572 kms without refuelling. I refuelled at Kamleng - since I knew about the petrol pump - but bought it in loose at Kibithu. I beleive that there is a petrol pump at Khupa 5 kms before Hayuliang, but that is off the road 1-2 kms inside.

Don't try to trace this route in Google Maps, no roads exists. Moreover, the entire portion is marked as being part of LOC on the Chinese side!

When I went, the direct road to Tezu via Rupai and Chongkham was washed away and the only way to get to Tezu was by boat or by turning off this road 10 kms after Parashuram Kund. I did not go to Tezu. It may come as a surprise that although Tinsukhia itself is so far east in everyone's conscience (except perhaps the armyman's), that Kibithu is actually 373 kms further east of the so-called easternmost parts of India.

BTW, road can be messy after Parshuram Kund, and there are a few zones which see heavy landslides. I met a Scorpio taxi the previous day (before I went to Kibithu myself) who had his windshield shattered because a rock fell on it when he was driving on that road near Hayuliang. LUckily my co-pax KS was made of sterner stuff, else he may have refused to come with me to Kibithu. The excitement of going to the easternmost point in India (yes, this is the place which sees the first sunrise in India) was too tempting.
Thanks HvK for the comprehensive route details, i just have to make a detour to Digboi side as well when i finally make the trip. And given the nature of the road it has to be December.

Right, most people have no idea about what lies beyond Tinsukia. And its our own golden triangle just as Thailand-Laos and Burma further east. Many Indians travelling to Thailand go to see the place but what lies in our own backyard is unknown to most.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 21st August 2010 at 16:04.
Old 21st August 2010, 16:17   #87
BHPian

Default Map of Arunachal Pradesh

Quote:
Wow, that is one fantastic database of info, San.
Maps of Arunachal are so difficult to get.
I managed to get the same 2007 map of AN after searching all over, and got it in Pasighat bazaar.
HVK Sirjee,

Can you upload the map on T-BHP. I am sure there will be many who will be interested.

P.S: This thread deserved 5 star rating. Very informative, SP, and would love it if you post a few more travelogues of AP.
I would also love it if you could post the lodges / hotel info in a file (word / excel etc) . That would be very stupendous . Thanks again

K

Last edited by kingshukt : 21st August 2010 at 16:33.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 16:39   #88
BHPian

The area in discussion here has lot of history in offer. But not online we have to travel far.

Selection of papers regarding the hill tracts between Assam and Burmah and on the Upper Brahmaputra. [Calcutta]: Bengal Secretariat Press, 1873 IOR/V/23/104, No [3] 1873

335p

Contents:
(i) Memoir of a survey of Assam... 1825-6-7-8, by Lieut. R. Wilcox [also in 510];

(ii) Abstract of the journal of a route travelled by Capt. S.F. Hannay... in 1835-36 from the capital of Ava to the amber mines of the Hookoong Valley on the S.E. frontier of Assam, by Capt. R. Pemberton Boileau;

(iii) Journal of a trip to the Mishmi Mountains... by W. Griffiths... 1836;

(iv) Journal from Upper Assam towards Hookhoom, Ava and Rangoon... by W. Griffith... 1836;

(v) Narrative of a journey from Ava to the frontiers of Assam and back... Dec 1836-May 1837... by G.T. Bayfield;

(vi) Notes on a trip across the Patkoi range from Assam to the Hookoong Valley, by H.L. Jenkins in 1869-70;

(vii) Notes on the Burmese route from Assam to the Hookoong Valley, by H.L. Jenkins;

(viii) Report of a visit by Capt. Vetch to the Singpho and Naga frontier of Luckimpore, 1842;

(ix) Reports of Lieut [F] Brodie's dealings with the Nagas on the Seebsangor Frontier, 1841-46;

(x) Notes on a visit to the tribes inhabiting the hills south of Seebsangor, Assam, by S.E. Peal [undated]

Note: Index No 543

Source: British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 21st August 2010 at 16:42.
Old 21st August 2010, 16:46   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post

HVK Sirjee,

Can you upload the map on T-BHP. I am sure there will be many who will be interested.

P.S: This thread deserved 5 star rating. Very informative, SP, and would love it if you post a few more travelogues of AP.
I would also love it if you could post the lodges / hotel info in a file (word / excel etc) . That would be very stupendous . Thanks again

K
Thanx Kingshuk, i will add on information as and when i can manage to get hold of some. Many more trips report of Arunachal will be there in the near future.
Old 21st August 2010, 16:51   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Route was as follows:

Sorry for a mistake above, it should read 472 kms without refuelling.