Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

View Poll Results: What do I wish for you Sam & Jenny?
Congratulations on your wedding and every happiness! 371 63.97%
A long happy life together! 497 85.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25th September 2010, 12:37   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Default At Senj

A rather big brunch comprising of Pizza, pasta and apple juice at a relaxed restaurant.
While every menu has English, German, italian and Croatian on it, the waiters generally prefer to speak German to us.

Ah well.

Of course, as usual, the cafes turn us away with a "Keine Essen" (No food) and turn us towards a nice little sea front restaurant.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8727_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8731_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8737_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8738_l.jpg

After we eat, we sit in the sun for a bit and walk around, just a little bit so we can send ourselves a mental postcard from Senj.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8726_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8739_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8741_l.jpg

And then it's time to say goodbye to Senj, Croatia and time to drive to Jablanac.
Old 25th September 2010, 12:52   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Navin, you are correct on Parkplatz. However only a Parkhaus is for parking. An Autohaus is always a car dealership or such.
What I was getting at how the words originated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinger View Post
[b]On the length of German words:
When I first went to Germany I asked my host to teach me frequently used German words like Please, Thank you etc... when it came to the word for Sorry she said "Entschuldigung".
I said "what?"
she said "forget it, even we germans dont use it and prefer to use 'sorry' instead".
Old 25th September 2010, 13:32   #228
BHPian

Little OT here. But on the topic of "length" and "Breadth" of German words, I find that "doch" in German is a very cute response to negative question.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:27   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
"Entschuldigung"
You think that is long? Bachche ho abhi, sir! Try this one on for size:

Quote:
Rinderkennzeichnungs- und Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübert ragungsgesetz (RkReÜAÜG) (literally, Cattle marking and beef labeling supervision duties delegation law) is a law of the German state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern of 2000, dealing with the supervision of the labeling of beef.

Ok, that is long, but... they actually have a LAW for the LABELING OF BEEF?!!??

Name:  Yeti.jpg
Views: 2607
Size:  102.6 KB

Quote:
Strictly speaking, it is made up of two words, because a hyphen at the end of a word is used to show that the word will end in the same way as the following. Consequently, the two words would be Rinderkennzeichnungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragun gsgesetz and Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübert ragungsgesetz.
source ~ wikipedia

I agree, this whole german language thing is going way OT!
Old 25th September 2010, 16:35   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Entschuldigung doesn't kind of get replaced by sorry. The Germans use sorry more like excuse me. Like you could ask someone "Sorry, is this house number 30?"

Or you could say a loud "Sorry" and they would give you way so you could pass. Not like "Sorry, I broke your window by accident" That would be Es tut mir leid.

Quote:
Ok, that is long, but... they actually have a LAW for the LABELING OF BEEF?!!??
They have laws for everything. Germans even have laws for laws. It's often quite funny and they are able to laugh about it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Junge View Post
Little OT here. But on the topic of "length" and "Breadth" of German words, I find that "doch" in German is a very cute response to negative question.
True. Doch (pronounced DAWKH) literally translates to "is too!" or "Yes, of course" depending on the tone.

Du hast keine unterhosen (You have no underwear)
DOCH! (I do too! or Yes of course I do, what's wrong with you?)

An excellent word.

Speaking of communication I offer you a road video made between Plitvice and Senj, our next destination. Please do listen to the rather amusing and difficult communication between us and our Serbian hitchhiker friend.

One thing that was indeed universal.

When we reached Senj, the old man got off and said thank you. And then he turns to me

Dire Straits?

I look at him in surprise not sure of what he said. You know how it is, when you don't expect someone to say something and he does, you still don't understand him.

Sorry?

Dire Straits,
he points to the ipod. Dire Straits.

Yes!
I grin. Well it was not actually Dire Straits.
I know. Mark Knopfler.
He pronounces the K, N, O, P, F, L, E and R. Wow.

He great guitar.

I smile broadly. Yes, he great guitar.

Goodbye, thank you!

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 25th September 2010 at 16:39.
Old 25th September 2010, 17:24   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When we reached Senj, the old man got off and said thank you. And then he turns to me
Dire Straits?
I smile broadly. Yes, he great guitar.
One thing I have never understood when travelling through much of Continental Europe. Europeans will speak the local language (German, Hungarian, Danish, etc..) but often listen to English Music.

In India I find it's backwards. They will speak English (in Mumbai atleast) but listen to "Hindi-pop" (a kinda of strange mix between Pop/Dance-Techno-Hindi Film Music-and some regional pop like Bhangra topped with Hindi/Punjabi vocals etc..).
Old 26th September 2010, 19:47   #232
BHPian

Sam, noticed in the vedio that all the vehicles had the lights on. Is day time running lights mandatory all across Eurpoe?
Old 26th September 2010, 21:51   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
One thing I have never understood when travelling through much of Continental Europe. Europeans will speak the local language (German, Hungarian, Danish, etc..) but often listen to English Music.

In India I find it's backwards. They will speak English (in Mumbai atleast) but listen to "Hindi-pop" (a kinda of strange mix between Pop/Dance-Techno-Hindi Film Music-and some regional pop like Bhangra topped with Hindi/Punjabi vocals etc..).
may be it depends upon how rich the music in a language is. We all grow up around bollywood musicals, don't we?
Old 27th September 2010, 08:40   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Sam, noticed in the vedio that all the vehicles had the lights on. Is day time running lights mandatory all across Eurpoe?
Yes, in certain parts of Europe, it is mandatory to keep your lights on when on the highway. I do not know which countries follow this rule, but kept me headlights on throughout the journey.
Old 27th September 2010, 12:07   #235
lsp
BHPian

Dont you mean Bosnia and Herzegovina Sam? When I read Herzigova my mind drifted to a beautiful someone and the adv that someone did for a particular clothing product in the 90s. :P

I guess you were also thinking about that someone when you were typing this out.
Quote:
The country has a lot of coastline and many small islands that surround the rather oddly shaped mainland. Its neighbours are Slovenia and Bosnia/Herzigova also erstwhile Yugoslavia.

In Denmark, they keep the lights on irrespective of the road, time of the day or weather. The headlights are always on.
Quote:
Yes, in certain parts of Europe, it is mandatory to keep your lights on when on the highway. I do not know which countries follow this rule, but kept me headlights on throughout the journey.

Last edited by lsp : 27th September 2010 at 12:18.
Old 27th September 2010, 16:28   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Senj to Jablanac and Rab

At some point during my drive through Croatia, I was pulled over to the side by 2 Croatian policemen waiting in their car.

Does my Indian (non-international) license work in Croatia? I thought to myself, heart beating as I pulled over.

Did I break a law Jenny? Or do something wrong?
No I don't think so. Must be a routine check.

Do the first right thing Sam. Smile.
I think to myself as I pull over.

Hallo. Führerschein und Dokumente bitte he says with a quick nod.
I am not surprised that he speaks to me in German this time. I remember that my car has a German license plate.

I reach for my wallet and hand over my Maharashtra driving license. He takes it over to his car as I look for the car papers, slightly nervous.
Out of the corner of my eye I see the 2 policemen examine my driving license and radio someone at the same time.

We cannot find the documents. I know Jenny's brother had told me about these documents but at this moment it simply does not come to my mind. We're looking through the glove box and more as the policeman comes walking up to us.

Crap, think I as I continue looking.
Is OK, he says, handing over my license to me with a slight polite nod. No problem, is OK, you go.

I can now confirm that the Indian driving license is valid in the country of Croatia.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Driving to Jablanac from Senj is a coastal road and probably the most beautiful windy coastal road I have ever driven on. While I do have some photos for you to appreciate this, I think you'd best look at the video to completely understand (I'll post it soon)

Name:  Screen shot 20100927 at 3.03.40 PM.png
Views: 2273
Size:  66.8 KB

Jenny takes a few photos as we wind up and down the road. She doesn't like heights and gets quite nervous, even though I am driving slowly. There are so many Harleys that I have given up and just shake my head at the guys. Amazing.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8748_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8749_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8750_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8752c_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8754_l.jpg

It does not take too long to reach the village of Jablanac and the sign for the ferry to Rab. We're on the winding road down to the coastline and soon our car is close to the Ferry.

Looks like we're in luck. We reach and find a ferry waiting to leave for Rab.

The attendants wave us onto the boat even though it seems quite full. We're still not in the boat completely and when the ramp starts to raise up, I realise that the back of the car is rising up too with the ramp.

Haha. I think.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8757_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8759_l.jpg

Soon we're off and into the blue blue blue blue Adriatic sea. Did I mention that it is blue?

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8761_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8762arrow_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8763_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8764_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8767_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8768_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8771_l.jpg

20 minutes later, we're at Mišnjak, on the isle of Rab.

What's the weather like, you may ask. Ask, ask, I'll tell you with a HUGE smile.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_8772_l.jpg

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 27th September 2010 at 16:31.
Old 27th September 2010, 18:09   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Driving to Jablanac from Senj is a coastal road and probably the most beautiful windy coastal road I have ever driven on. While I do have some photos for you to appreciate this, I think you'd best look at the video to completely understand (I'll post it soon)
Well, here it is. One of the most beautiful roads of my life.

Old 27th September 2010, 21:43   #238
Senior - BHPian

Sam whats the music playing in this video? Absolutely (don't have words for it).I'm sending over an ipod classic to you.You send yours back to me.Amazing music taste you have.
Old 27th September 2010, 21:51   #239
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down My India is shining.

So, 3-4 countries, and no border checks in between.

In India, try crossing borders of districts, and think of the pain one has to undergo at the checkposts. You will fint RTO, sales tax, excise, Octroi and whatnot checkposts within a few meters.

And just think of what "papers" mamus will search for when you are flagged down.

Yes, my India is shining.

Sorry, can't resist this rant.
Old 28th September 2010, 03:43   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
@SafeDrive... Keeping headlights on is actually "Safe Drive".
Usually it is recommended (and sometimes mandated by the traffic rules) to keep your headlights ON on windy roads. It is much easier for the oncoming traffic to notice you. Notice the dark patches on the roads with shades from nearby trees. Sometimes when you are going from bright sunlight to these shady areas your eyes take time to adjust to the change in brightness. Having a light shine infront of you helps you notice the oncoming traffic better.
Closed Thread