Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

View Poll Results: What do I wish for you Sam & Jenny?
Congratulations on your wedding and every happiness! 371 63.97%
A long happy life together! 497 85.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8th October 2010, 15:41   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Present economics of dairy business in India do not support such type of automation here.
In India, more than the economics of a situation, I think the basic difference is that people are cheaper than machines.

You may balk at my statement, but it is true. When you have too many of something, you lose value for it. Human labour has no value in India. Why employ one man to do a job when you can employ 4 to do it.

A classic example of an Indian way to manage things is a modern car park.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me briefly describe the process of a car park in Europe (or a logical elsewhere in the world)
  1. You approach a car park and reach the boom. You drive close to it, press a button. A ticket comes out that you preserve. At the same time the boom rises allowing you to enter.
  2. You drive around inside until you find a decent parking spot.
  3. You watch your movie or do your shopping in peace. When ready to leave, you take your ticket and visit a cash machine (looks like ATM) and enter your card in. The machine analyses your ticket and asks for money. When paid the ticket comes back to you. You now have 20 minutes to leave the parking place.
  4. You drive off with your car, going close to the boom at the exit. You enter you ticket in the designated slot, the boom rises and you may leave.
_-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let us look at the typical process of a similarly equipped parking place in India. I am talking of a modern parking with boom control. Usually a mall or cinema.
  1. You drive upto the mall. At the gate of the mall there are 2 or 3 watchmen who wave you in. One is scratching, the other tries to look important and the third waves in an inconsequential direction.
  2. You drive to the ramp of the car park. At the entrance to the slope there is a man who does nothing else in life except point in the direction you should go.
  3. You reach the boom point. Of course the company has invested in automatic vending machines with a button placed strategically so you may press the green button from your car seat and take a ticket. Do you do that? NO.

Instead we have what is called as the button-pusher. The button-pusher must lean down as the button is too low for him to press it while he stands. His job, ladies and gentlemen, is
    • To push the green button when you are close.
    • To pull the emerging ticket impatiently
    • To shove it into your face at the window in the hope that you'll take it quickly and move on before the boom comes down.
    What do you do for a living daddy?
    I'm the parking-button-pusher!

4. You then drive into the parking lot where at least 6 different parking attendants are whistling on their referee whistles and guiding you. Park here!! Of course more than half the parking is empty and often 2 different parking attendants guide you in different directions.
    The third is smsing on his mobile so he will simply wave you ahead when you try to park.
  5. You then watch your movie or shop, hoping that the parking attendants will actually manage to ensure that your mirrors are still on your car when you return. Or possibly uncracked. The dings and dents you will only discover at home later.
  6. When you return 2 different people are trying to show you how to reverse your car out.
  7. Towards the exit, there are 3 people. One to point you towards the exit, one to sit on a table and try to write down your car number. He never gets it right. And one to ensure that those two are doing their job.
  8. At the exit there is a bender. The bender bends into your car and takes the ticket. His job is not to read the ticket. His job is to take the ticket and shove it into the cashiers face. Then the cashier analyses the ticket (the cashier is usually sitting about 6 feet above the ground so you cannot really see him or the cash register from your drivers seat) and tell the bender what the amount is.
  9. The bender turns into you and tells you what the amount is. You pay the bender. The bender pays the cashier. The cashier returns the change to the bender. The bender return the change to you.
  10. You exit where there are 3 people. One to tell you that there's a rickshaw coming and he's going to bang into you. He doesn't tell you anything, nor does he stop the rickshaw. In fact he is usually obstructing your view of the road.

The other two are usually scratching and/or eating at the same time. One may even have a walkie-talkie to ask his boss what to do if a celebrity or minister refuses to pay the parking charges. He is the Sir-jaane-du-kya man.

Walkie talkie crackle. Sir, koi aaye hai, kehte hai ki games minister hai aur paise nahi hai unke paas. Jaane du kya?

That's his job.
What do you do Daddy?
I'm the jaane-du-kya man!

End of rant.

Apologies to all the other people "working" in the parking lot that I have definitely forgotten.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 8th October 2010 at 15:48.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:20   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
1] I think the basic difference is that people are cheaper than machines.
A classic example of an Indian way to manage things is a modern car park.

2]Jaane du kya?
1] Thats the basic reason Indian industry was avoiding any automation till now but things are changing.

2]
Quote:
jaane du kya?
Bhai sam,
maine sirf economics of dairy business in India ke baare me ek line likha but...
.....you wrote whole page about the parking in India.....

......muze jaane de.

Quote:
@Thad E Ginathom---cattle and ships? Ashishpallod?

oops,

my bad.

Now i remember the famous line of BIG B in the hindi movie Namkahalal ...'' you know, english is very funny langauage..... chopra becomes chopra and chemistry becomes kemistry.

mods, mods, where are you?
please rectify.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:40   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam, the thing I hate about these parking attendants is that they give me one more worry: not running over them!

Ashishpallod: don't worry about it. A fellow member of another forum takes great pleasure in pointing out my typos and misspellings, which often make a nonsense of my posts. You know, stuff like plane/plain, weak/week, berth/birth! And I wonder how many times I have typed break on T-BHP when I meant brake.
Old 8th October 2010, 18:16   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Now let us look at the typical process of a similarly equipped parking place in India. I am talking of a modern parking with boom control. Usually a mall or cinema.
Sam, you missed the part that really gets me. One of those whistle blowing guys will keep blowing and waving his hands until you have your car exactly at the place that he wants it - upto the last mm. It's not enough that your car is within the spot, it has to be within his wishes
Old 8th October 2010, 18:39   #320
BHPian

Sam, I'm enjoying this travelogue very much. Looks like both of you're having a wonderful time. God speed and best wishes.
Old 8th October 2010, 19:01   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Walking out to Lake Bled

This weather really sucks.

The past week full of hot sunshine has spoiled us. Spoiled me. I'm walking around in a jacket and jeans and grumbling about how my toes are wet and upset.

We walk for about 3 kms to the lake. Honestly, walks like this have now become non-discussables for us.

We don't know what it will look like (it was dark when we reached Bled last night, remember) and to be honest, we're quite speechless to see this:

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9173b_l.jpg

Lake Bled is decidedly medieval and quite enchanting. We're really lucky to be here. Though we never actually get to see it (because of the complete lack of sunshine), it is said that Lake Bled is quite blue too (not as blue as Plitvice, but also very clear and blue)

Bled is beautiful, but slightly touristy as can be seen from the few photos I take.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9170_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9178s_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9179_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9180_l.jpg

I'm not really inspired to take any photos at all. Well, primarily the camera gets a bit damp in the drizzle.
Mainly, it still looks absolutely beautiful, but my camera photos look positively insipid because of the fog.

We take advantage of the weather to quickly enter a sports shop. Not the sports shop full of Reebok, but some serious and awesome adventure sports stuff.
And very knowledgeable staff.

After a little while of hunting I decide to spoil myself with a pair of Italian pure leather hiking shoes. I even splurge on the pure leather extra insoles. Gorgeous and beautiful Scarpa Grasshoppers.

These.

Name:  QB995059003A_scarpa_mojito_men_grasshopper.jpg
Views: 3163
Size:  33.6 KB

The Yeti® is happy and ready to hit the road again.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9177s_l.jpg

I love my shoes!

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 8th October 2010 at 19:02.
Old 8th October 2010, 21:11   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me briefly describe the process of a car park in Europe (or a logical elsewhere in the world)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies to all the other people "working" in the parking lot that I have definitely forgotten.
Although I agree with the point that Sam is trying to make, let's not forget that there are many of us who will park our cars haphazardly, without a care for the others, blocking exits, entries other parking spots. Left to ourselves, we will create chaos in any multilevel parking lot. The parking assistants have an important task of bringing order to the chaos.
Old 8th October 2010, 21:35   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Although I agree with the point that Sam is trying to make, let's not forget that there are many of us who will park our cars haphazardly, without a care for the others, blocking exits, entries other parking spots. Left to ourselves, we will create chaos in any multilevel parking lot. The parking assistants have an important task of bringing order to the chaos.
If you do that here in US, either it will be towed, or they place a giant concrete block at back so you can not get it out without paying fines.

Yes, the cost of concrete blocks and the moving equipment is still lower than employing humans to monitor
Old 9th October 2010, 11:33   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But that's no ordinary collar. I know radio tagged collars. These cows are wearing radio-tagged collars with proximity sensors.
Sam, RFID invaaded the bovine industry some years ago. There were regular articles in 2003-6 in the RFID journal of all the uses RFID could be put to in this industry including tracking which bovine has been milked and when. This ensures that cows are not over-milked.

Quote:
The Yeti® is happy and ready to hit the road again.
Attachment 435993
I love my shoes!
Only Sam can wear a red jacket and green shoes and look normal doing it.
Old 13th October 2010, 11:17   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Castle Bled

Forgive my long silence, I was travelling.

---------------------------------

Armed (so to say) with my new shoes, I am ready to climb up the hill to the castle at Bled. We climb up the hill, walking through the muddy paths up till we're quite out of breath, it is a long way up.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9184s_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9186_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9190_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9191_l.jpg

Once again, the castle is not as grandiose as the name would suggest, being rather a place where one can see history and culture.

But a great view of Lake Bled and the town. Of course the weather is not doing us any favours.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9196_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9197_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9201_l.jpg

On our way out from the castle, I spot an interesting looking Harley. This will be one of many many harleys that I will see in Slovenia.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9203_l.jpg
Old 13th October 2010, 15:34   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

The weather is not getting better. We find that we need to return often to our room, either because it is just too cold or too rainy.

We walk down the grad and find our way back, walking through Bled to reach Selo.

Snails, worms, leeches, the rain is bringing out the best of the under-earth crawlies. Take a look at this whopper.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9204_l.jpg

And no, lol this isn't an effort to get the wedding ring (beautiful as it may be) on screen, the hand is for size reference.

A walk through Selo, it's homes, chickens, cows and paths and it isn't long before we're back at our farmhouse.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9207_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9220_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9222_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9227_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9230_l.jpg

That's the view from our farmhouse, by the way. We have returned to change into dry socks and take the car out, since it is difficult to walk around in this weather.

It is time to DRIVE!
Old 13th October 2010, 20:01   #327
BHPian

Sam bhai, such is your style of writing that i finished all 22 pages in one sitting today. Rated 5* for various things - The narration, Music (i guess it is lounge, soft electronic you played in most of the videos), Phree EU darshan, excellent photos (you might have answered this earlier but i couldnt find it. what camera did u use?), the colourful lake of Croatia.
Apart from the 47 Violins (including the 5 that you ate up ) can you share the artists, especially the one playing after 1.34 in the video showing the Romeo, Juliet town (Verona)? I listen to that kind of music on loungeradio dot com (Swiss based channel).
Old 13th October 2010, 22:52   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Sam bhai, such is your style of writing that i finished all 22 pages in one sitting today. Rated 5* for various things - The narration, Music (i guess it is lounge, soft electronic you played in most of the videos), Phree EU darshan, excellent photos (you might have answered this earlier but i couldnt find it. what camera did u use?), the colourful lake of Croatia. .
Thank you, very kind. I don't always stick to electronica or lounge, but the mood of the video is such.

I used my humble, battered Nikon D40 for this trip too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
can you share the artists, especially the one playing after 1.34 in the video showing the Romeo, Juliet town (Verona)? I listen to that kind of music on loungeradio dot com (Swiss based channel).
In the video "Driving through Italy" I have used a German pop song that is a chart hit. It is called "Luftbahn" by Deichkind.

Here's the official video

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th October 2010 at 23:04.
Old 13th October 2010, 23:30   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Driving through the area

It is indeed lovely to see all of the countryside from the comfort of a heated car. 888 takes us around from village to village.

We drive alongside the river, stopping at a decent point to take a photo.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9245_l.jpg

And then more villages, each one more beautiful that the other till we finally halt at one

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9246_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9249_l.jpg

This time Jenny is too cold to step out so I take a short walk.

What a beautiful bench. I love benches.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9251_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9252_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9254_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9255_l.jpg

We drive for a while till we reach the next lake, the stunning, truly beautiful, non-touristy and q u i e t Lake Bohinje. I am in love with Lake Bohinje.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9261b_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9260_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9263_l.jpg

On the way to slap Savice, we stop at another bridge with a river roaring under us.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9265_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9266_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9267_l.jpg

We cannot walk long. On our way back we decide to get adventurous and take the long and high way around. Bad idea. At one point we're about 2000 metres above sea level on a very narrow path.

Once again it has been a happy and tiring day.

We wind up at the local restaurant before we return to our farmhouse.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9276_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9278_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9279_l.jpg

Goodnight everyone
Old 13th October 2010, 23:46   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

This is BEAUTIFUL. Places like these exist? Ohh, sure they do. You are having an enviable honeymoon Sam, let me tell you this.

What do the cows have stuck onto their ears? Some kind of numbering or bell..?

Enjoying this as the other Yeti threads. (First Indian visit & Shell bunker was too good)

and Jenny bhabhiji's ring is pretty.

God Bless.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th October 2010 at 23:57.
Closed Thread