Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

View Poll Results: What do I wish for you Sam & Jenny?
Congratulations on your wedding and every happiness! 371 63.97%
A long happy life together! 497 85.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14th October 2010, 10:47   #331
BHPian

Sam, chappar phadke pictures.

Regarding the pictures of the river - I see that you have used low shutterspeed to create the nice seamless flowing effect, did you use tripod to avoid the shake? If not, then those are incredible shots.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:56   #332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What do the cows have stuck onto their ears? Some kind of numbering or bell..?
My guess would be RFID tags.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:10   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What do the cows have stuck onto their ears? Some kind of numbering or bell..?
This is usually attached when the cows are insured (at least in India). We have cows in the gardens and every year when their insurance is renewed these tags are changed. The tag carries the insurance policy no. and some code.
Old 14th October 2010, 15:26   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
Sam, chappar phadke pictures.

Regarding the pictures of the river - I see that you have used low shutterspeed to create the nice seamless flowing effect, did you use tripod to avoid the shake? If not, then those are incredible shots.
No, I didn't take the tripod with me. I just held my breath

On the cows, those are merely numbers and info. The Radio tags are usually around the neck on a band.
Old 15th October 2010, 11:02   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Another day in Bled, Slovenia

We've decided to stay another day. Well, why not? It's not like we need to travel from country to country non-stop.

It feels good here, even though the weather hasn't been our friend.

The next morning, it appears like it is clearing up. We walk around the farm, doing things one does on a lazy farm.

Later in the day we walk to Lake Bled again, hoping for better light. It is better, but only just.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9281_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9286_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9292_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9298_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9301_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9302_l.jpg

I want to see Slap Savice - Savice is the name and Slap is the slovenian/croatian name for a waterfall.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9303_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9307_l.jpg

It is a long hike up the hill to see it.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9312_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9316_l.jpg

Finally, after about an hour we get there. Savice is wild and roaring, words fail me. This will be the most beautiful waterfall we will see on our trip.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9321_l.jpg

Of course the picture does it no justice.

But wait, there is one way you can judge the grandeur of Slap Savice, take a look at the photo below.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9318b_l.jpg
Old 15th October 2010, 11:38   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I was looking for this pic, close up of that home/church/whatever it is, the beautiful structure at the bank of the lake.
If that is home, i envy the owner.

Kaash, there was no whitewashed sky in the pic.

Do you have another close up of that structure?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 15th October 2010 at 11:40.
Old 15th October 2010, 11:46   #337
BHPian

Hey Sam, simply awesome stuff man!

Thanks for sharing all the info & pics and opening up a new world for us to explore. The last pic in the previous post of yours it pretty interesting. Looking at it, it seems like someone's praying for the gates of nirvana to open.
Old 16th October 2010, 12:06   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBlog® - leaving Bled

We walk down the hill. I had forgotten my video camera in the car. Halfway down the hill it starts pouring, like pouring rain.

So much for the day that promised to be good.

We rush downhill to the car, soaking wet and drive back to the farmhouse. I will present our last video in the next post.

No the story has not ended yet, but the videos are over. We make our last video in Slovenia and then I pack away the camera and I don't make any more videos until we're home.

Back home, we're wet and quite, quite tired. We decide quickly to vegetate. We're going to sit in our hotel room and do nothing. Just relax and watch the rain.

We call the lady of the house and ask her to prepare some simple bread, cheese and cold cuts in a plate for us and spend the whole evening relaxing.
The rain has also in a way, ended our time in Slovenia. It is time to leave this beautiful country.

Actually, we wanted to visit the Soca River Delta, but we're too far away - we are close to the Austrian border and the delta is near the Italian border. We could go there, we could go anywhere, but our days are running short.

Looks like it is time to drive over to Austria.

We wake up early and say goodbye to this room that has been our home for the past few days.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9326_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9327_l.jpg

Goodbye horses and cows and everyone else. Goodbye bench-with-a-view-and-dogs-for-company. Goodbye dogs.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9329_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9332_l.jpg

Honestly. they look really upset to see us go.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9333_l.jpg

Goodbye beautiful village of Selo, we will see you again.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9336_l.jpg

And so here we are, back on the road. Austria, here we come!
Old 16th October 2010, 12:31   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBreak® - The tyre story

I would like to break my story here to start another off-topic discussion. Something typical of a YetiBlog® I guess.

It may be off-topic for my lovely romantic travelogue, but spot-on for the basis of this forum.

I'm talking tyres. People please note. lol.

Actually, let me get to the reason for this discussion. It was yesterday that I was reminiscing about good old 888 and how faithfully she drove us all over Europe.
As I was doing this it hit me. 888 had no spare tyre or tools to change tyres. Why not? Well, Jenny's brother has a nice audio system, JBL woofers et al (but ofcourse!) and has no room for a spare tyre.

And that brought me to the discussion once again on tyres in Germany.

I have never seen a tyre repair shop in Germany. Well, I've never seen a tyre shop to start off with. Jenny tells me that tyres are usually bought at a garage-repair-shop, the same place that repairs your car.

So here's the clincher. It is illegal to repair a puncture. You're allowed to use a puncture repair kit, in order to drive to the next garage where you can change your tyre.
And you cannot change just one. It is usual to change a minimum of two (unless your tyres are pretty new)

What?
Yes, said my German friend. You have a puncture, you buy a new tyre. If you're lucky, you buy one. Otherwise two and sometimes you have to change all 4 tyres just because you ran over a nail.
That's an expensive affair!
Driving in Germany is an expensive affair.
What if you sort of, cheat.
You cannot. You need to get a TÜV
(Pronounced tooff, sorta)

TÜV (Technischer Überwachungsverein) is an organisation that certifies your car, amongst other things. You need to do this or you are simply not allowed to drive.
Tyres in Germany must be unrepaired and must have a minimum tread depth. If your tread depth is lower that minimum, it is an offence and you are fined. Fined? Yes, for endangering other people's lives, both pedestrian and drivers.

That isn't all. You need minimum 2 sets of tyres. Every year before winter you must change to wet-weather/winter tyres and must again have that certified.
If you are caught driving with regular summer tyres in winter season, that is again an offence.

But where do you keep your tyres I ask Jenny
You have to keep them in the garage where you park your car.
And if you don't have a garage?
Then you keep them in your cellar, attic or storeroom. Or you buy new winter tyres every year.
And the summer tyres?
You must take your tyres at the change of the season to the mechanic who will replace them for you. If the tyres are good enough to pass inspection.

I see.

I also was told earlier that a lot of tyres rejected by Germany are good enough for other transport authorities and are often sold on the second-hand tyre market in east europe and often even in the UK. In Germany, you cannot buy a second-hand tyre. That too is not allowed.

I realise I am not asking the right questions.

OK tell me this. What if we had had a flat tyre on 888 during our travel.
Then you call ADAC.
Who?
ADAC.
She pronounces it as AAH-DAY-AAH-TSAY (the german way of pronouncing the alphabet) - my brother is a member.
And?
They they come immediately and change your tyre or tow you to a place where you buy tyres.
And if you're not a member?
Then you call them and become a member immediately or you call a private tow operator. Or you replace your tyre with the spare and drive on.

I see. But you have to replace your tyre.
Yes.

I see. How many times have you had a flat tyre in Germany in your 10-12 years of driving?

She thinks.

Never.
Old 16th October 2010, 13:08   #340
BHPian

That was very informative. I am staying in Germany for almost 2 years but never aware of these tyre related information. When I landed in Germany, my colleague told me that my Indian driving licence is valid for 6 months after arrival. Then I learnt most of the traffic symbols through net, some of them were very interesting, like, speed limit under wet condition, no heavy vehicles allowed where the drinking water tank is placed under road surface and many more. Enjoyed driving different cars which I can just dream of in India.
Old 18th October 2010, 10:30   #341
BHPian

Default Hmmmmm ...

@ Sam .. so if they ever saw the tyres on your van ...................
Old 18th October 2010, 14:32   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly. they look really upset to see us go.
I think it's really because of the empty cigarette pack in front. There goes their daily dose of nicotine

Quote:
I'm talking tyres. People please note. lol.
So Sam from reading what you've written, even if you can afford to buy a car in Germany you might not be able to afford to keep it on the road.

But this really was fantastic information.
Old 19th October 2010, 11:32   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
I think it's really because of the empty cigarette pack in front. There goes their daily dose of nicotine
I dont think either Sam or Jenny smoke. It must have been the farmer's pack.

Sam why did you truss up Jenny to the gate of the waterfall? Did she upset you?
Old 19th October 2010, 11:37   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The incident in Slovenia

As I said earlier:
Quote:
A vignette is a toll sticker that you buy from a tabac or a gas station. It basically is an advance toll that allows you to use Autobahns without any toll nakas.

If you drive without this vignette and you are caught by the police, the fine is 200 euros minimum.
A hefty fine, considering that the austrian vignette costs 7.90 euros for 10 days!
And yet ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Jenny and I are driving through the countryside in Slovenia. We've been avoiding the Autobahns as the smaller roads are more picturesque.

And yet there is no way to go from Slovenia to Austria without using the Autobahn.

Everywhere that we have had to use the Autobahns in Slovenia, we've come across toll booths that are deserted, with a green light. No toll? No toll I guess.

So it isn't surprising that we come to the last toll booth in Slovenia, equally deserted. Goodbye slovenia. Or is it?

We see a lady police officer waving us to a halt. It looks like a nakabandi, with 2 or 4 police cars and many people being pulled over.

Fuehrerschein, Pass und Dockumente bitte.
I hand them over. I should be OK I guess.
She looks at my Passport and license.
India?
Yes.
German or English.
English please.

Do you have vignette?
I look at her, a little dumbfounded. Are we in Austria already, or...?
Jenny points to the vignette on the screen. Our hearts are pounding, could it be...
This is Austrian vignette. Do you have Slovenian vignette?
The penny drops. Slovenian Vignette? We didn't know that Slovenia had a vignette system...

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

We argue, we fight and we plead.

We didn't see any signs!
She holds up a photo of the last sign.
We never saw any! We haven't even been driving on the autobahn.
Well, you're on it now.
We've hardly used the autobahns.

Her colleague is taking photos of 888 and of us. It does not matter if you drive autobahn 1 kilometre or 100kilometre. You need vignette.

We really try hard. She even admits that the signs are small and we may not have seen them.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

The usual fine is 300 euros but because you are tourists and first time, you pay 150 euros.

150 euros!! That's like 10,000 rupees!

We have no choice.
While Jenny still argues with her, I apologise and ask the lady to use her better judgment. I point out to the Austrian Vignette and tell her that we didn't know, or we would have bought one for Slovenia.

It doesn't work. She softens a little and looks at her colleague who stares back at her, speaks in Slovenian. We don't need to understand the language, we can understand the tone.

We accept Mastercard, visa and EC cards or cash.

She prints out a receipt in her van and hands it over to us.
Jenny has walked away in anger. I am alone.

If you want to contest or complain against the charges, you have 8 days
she says. I nod and leave.

I will contest says Jenny.
Well, you have 8 days. Knock yourself out.
Give me that receipt. Where is the email to contest?
I don't know.

She storms back to the policevan asking for an email address. She comes back fuming.

It seems you have to contest by regular post. What a joke.

We never do contest the charges.

A loss of 150 euros and the first and only mishap in our travels.

Be warned! If you're driving in any European country, stop at a petrol station and ask the attendant if you need a Vignette.

Or suffer a loss like we did.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 19th October 2010 at 11:39.
Old 19th October 2010, 11:57   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Be warned! If you're driving in any European country, stop at a petrol station and ask the attendant if you need a Vignette.

Or suffer a loss like we did.
Vignettes are only used in Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland.

Road toll is being charged in most of the other European countries.
Closed Thread