Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

View Poll Results: What do I wish for you Sam & Jenny?
Congratulations on your wedding and every happiness! 371 63.97%
A long happy life together! 497 85.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19th October 2010, 12:14   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Vignettes are only used in Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland.

Road toll is being charged in most of the other European countries.
It is possible you knew of this or that you researched it on the internet. We didn't know.

Also, the Slovenian vignette system is a couple of years old only - not everyone knows of it. I think it is simply safe to ask at a Petrol pump while you pay for gas.

Do you not agree?
Old 19th October 2010, 12:27   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It is possible you knew of this or that you researched it on the internet. We didn't know.

Also, the Slovenian vignette system is a couple of years old only - not everyone knows of it. I think it is simply safe to ask at a Petrol pump while you pay for gas.

Do you not agree?
I have rented out cars in Darmstadt and Prague many times and hence i know.The rental guys tell you to buy Vignettes to avoid hefty fines.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:49   #348
BHPian

But Sam, if you had not been stopped at that last gate, then does that mean that you'd have gone scott free? Or is there some sort of mechanism where Jenny's brother would have got a notice in the mail?

By the way, I was just kidding on the nicotine.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:15   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We see a lady police officer waving us to a halt. It looks like a nakabandi, with 2 or 4 police cars and many people being pulled over.

The usual fine is 300 euros but because you are tourists and first time, you pay 150 euros.

150 euros!! That's like 10,000 rupees!

We have no choice.
Imagine similar situation in India.

officer: you have to pay rs xxx as fine against xyz rule.

driver: gaddi ka number dekha kya?

officer: nahi

driver: gaddi kisaki hai malum hai kya?

officer: nahi.

driver: malum nahi to fir fine kaise mangata hai?

officer: abey, chupchap paisa nikal warna ander kar dunga.

driver: thhic hai, ye le hari patti.

officer: chal jaldi de aur chupchap khisak yanha se.

Sorry for OT but could not resist.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 20th October 2010 at 12:23.
Old 21st October 2010, 16:09   #350
MCR
BHPian

Yeti blog is always full of information and fantastic pictures. Croatia is defenitely worth visiting. Thanks Yeti for showcasing this wonderful place. I hope I can visit Croatia during my next trip to Europe.
Lessons learnt in this travelogue :
1. Buy Vignette when driving in Austria, Bulgaria, Hungary, Czech, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland.
2. Indian Driving license is also valid for crossing over into other schengen states.
3. GPS does not work in eastern Europe???
4. Complete tyre has to be replaced in case of puncture, in Germany.
Old 21st October 2010, 16:31   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have rented out cars in Darmstadt and Prague many times and hence i know.The rental guys tell you to buy Vignettes to avoid hefty fines.
Sam

One of my friend told me that you were lucky to get away by paying 150 Euros.He said the fines start from 300 and goes up till 800 euros.

Slovenia has recently faced lot of flak from the EU and Slovenians too for pricing the vignettes.

Drastic EC Action Needed Against Slovenian Vignettes | Press Release Services - EurActiv.com
Old 21st October 2010, 17:04   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Be warned! If you're driving in any European country, stop at a petrol station and ask the attendant if you need a Vignette.

Or suffer a loss like we did.
oh no..I was not aware of any such thing. I was lucky did not cought while driving on Autobahn. Or may be when I rented car from Europacar and SIXT they asked me where I am going at that time they might have put it bydefault ? Not sure, but once I was being pulled out for checking, when I asked officer, she said its general checking for criminal activities.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:33   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
oh no..I was not aware of any such thing. I was lucky did not cought while driving on Autobahn. Or may be when I rented car from Europacar and SIXT they asked me where I am going at that time they might have put it bydefault ? Not sure, but once I was being pulled out for checking, when I asked officer, she said its general checking for criminal activities.
Which country were you driving in.?

Germany has abolished the use of Vignette in early 2000.

You were lucky if you were driving in Switzerland and Austria and escaped.

Btw-Please ensure that you have a emission sticker in your car while driving in German cities.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 21st October 2010 at 17:35. Reason: Edit
Old 21st October 2010, 18:43   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Germany has abolished the use of Vignette in early 2000.
Actually Germany has not had a vignette or toll for passenger cars as I have mentioned. The vignette was only for trucks and such.

They never have had any toll for passenger cars, only for commercial vehicles.

However there are rumours that this is going to change.

Quote:
No the story has not ended yet, but the videos are over. We make our last video in Slovenia and then I pack away the camera and I don't make any more videos until we're home.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 21st October 2010 at 18:47.
Old 22nd October 2010, 21:43   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Next - Austria!

On the road again.

After crossing the rather sorry loss of 150 euros we continue driving towards Austria.

Our destination for now is Salzburg where we have decided to stop for some nice Austrian lunch. Jenny has an irresistible urge to each some Austrian dumplings and me, I'll be fine with a nice Schnitzel.

Name:  Screen shot 20101022 at 9.24.33 PM.png
Views: 1817
Size:  417.0 KB

We drive for 250 kms straight across winding mountainous highways, peppered with beautiful castles after every few kilometres.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9338_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9340b_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9348_l.jpg

In a few hours (like I said, 250kms is now PSHAW! for us) we're in Mozart-land. Make no mistake says the city.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9342_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9345_l.jpg

We are now in the aldstadt - the old city of Salzburg. I have of course, been here a couple of years ago with Jenny and a brand new BMW M3. You can find the travelogue and my visit to the Red Bull centre somewhere in this section, it is quite interesting for motor sports fans.

It has now been 45 minutes that I am driving around. There are few open parking places, mostly underground parking lots that are electronically secured. (Read: Automated booms and no people)

Every parking is full. Finally we decide to do what everyone at a very fancy looking cave is doing. Go to the boom and wait.

You see there are sensors everywhere. If there is no parking, you can't enter. When a car leaves, it will issue one ticket for the next guy and tell him which floor has the space. Needed, because this cave (and I mean cave, it is rocky and looks like the Batcave, because it has gadgets and lights and stuff, but it still a rocky cave) has 7 (!!) floors of parking for thousands of cars.

When we walk out of the parking area, we see this (and this gives you an idea of what I mean by cave)

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9349_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9350_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9351_l.jpg

Te. Saxa. Loquintuur. The rocks are talking of you.

We walk out at the Neutor tunnel. Fascinating. Austria is truly a land of tunnels.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9353_l.jpg

Even the city attaches the built and the natural to each other quite effortlessly.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9354_l.jpg

We walk on and enter the old city.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9352_l.jpg

Salzburg is beautiful.
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:08   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Salzburg for lunch

We walk through this beautiful town, exploring the busy little streets, markets, monuments and the gazillion cafes, none of which seem to have any room for us.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9355_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9357_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9358_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9360_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9363_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9364_l.jpg

Talk about mixing the old and the new...

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9365_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9369_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9372_l.jpg

We walk through the city squares and marketplaces

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9366_l.jpg

And cross the beautiful river Salzach, after which the city is named.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9373c_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9379c_l.jpg

It is now about 3.30 pm. We've no idea what to do next and no idea where to go next.

But we are. Very. Hungry.

Shall we stop at this cafe? It looks empty.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9385_l.jpg
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:23   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The old-style restaurant and the decision

The cafe is empty, because it is closed. We walk around a bit more and then find exactly what we need.

A super old-fashioned Austrian restaurant. And I mean old-fashioned, lol.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9386_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9387_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9388_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9389_l.jpg

The meal is great and truly enjoyable. We've again walked a lot and we're a bit tired.

And have no plan, no hotel and no idea.

What do you wanna do?
I dunno, what do you wanna do.

We're the vultures in the jungle book, lol

Let's leave for Munich.
That's not so far
, says I. I think nothing of 150kms.

But it is already 4.15pm. And we have to walk back to the Batcave...

OK, let's do this. Let's drive all the way to Nuremberg and then decide.

I think about it for a minute.
YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9392_l.jpg

OK what the hell, it's only 310 kms from here, lol

OK. Let's do it.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd October 2010 at 22:26.
Old 22nd October 2010, 23:09   #358
BHPian

I thought the story was over!

But, wait! Its not! Yipee!

This "salz", "slaz" stuff reminds me of tin tin and snowy!
Old 22nd October 2010, 23:28   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The end. Ish.

In order to reach Nuremberg from Salzburg we must cross over into Bavaria, via munich.

It is well over 300 kms and we must make quick time before the sun sets. We're both tired and I am not very good at driving in the dark, it is something I've never been completely comfortable with.

Name:  Screen shot 20101022 at 11.10.39 PM.png
Views: 1701
Size:  544.5 KB

It is about 6 pm when we reach the Chiemsee, a beautiful lake between Munich and Salzburg. This was one of the possible destinations we had considered.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9395_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9398_l.jpg

We stop for a while, park and stare at the massive lake as we reminisce about the days gone by. It has truly been lovely.

We must fly to India in 2 days, we have already extended our holiday by a few days (I had called Air India and changed our ticket, a story that I will come to at the epilogue)

Logically, this means that tonight will be our last night. Chiemsee or Nuremberg, it won't matter, we won't have time to enjoy it.
Even if we do stop tonight at Nuremberg, we will have to find a hotel at night, drag our bags and things there and then leave tomorrow itself as we must reach Bad Nauheim in order to pack all our things.

Things, clothes, suits, wedding presents - we have a truckload of stuff at Bad Nauheim.

As if she reads my mind, Jenny speaks.

We could drive all the way home and spend the night at Bad Nauheim instead.

I turn and stare. That's like another 550kms from here! If we do that we would have driven almost 900kms today! Besides, you know I'm not very comfortable driving after sunset.

But I'm ok with it.

She smiles. I grin. Yeah. Let's just do it.

We drive off again towards Nuremberg. It's just stopped raining.

She smiles and points towards the sky.

It's a sign.

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-dsc_9401_l.jpg

This holiday has come to an end.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd October 2010 at 23:42.
Old 23rd October 2010, 00:00   #360
Senior - BHPian

HI Sam and Jenny

I have been a silent reader of this story about some of the most important moments in your life. I did not want to disturb you till your story came to an end. It has been a pleasure to read your log.

thanks for sharing a piece of your (Yeti) life with us.

Wish you a very long life filled with togetherness, love and time for each other.

God bless.
Closed Thread