Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

View Poll Results: What do I wish for you Sam & Jenny?
Congratulations on your wedding and every happiness! 371 63.97%
A long happy life together! 497 85.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23rd October 2010, 01:28   #361
Senior - BHPian

Hey, there are two rainbows in the last pic! What? how?
Old 23rd October 2010, 03:02   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

There are two trees too!

But seriously... I don't think that a double rainbow is very unusual. I've certainly seen a few.
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:20   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Hey, there are two rainbows in the last pic! What? how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There are two trees too!

But seriously... I don't think that a double rainbow is very unusual. I've certainly seen a few.
I've seen a double from my balcony last year!

Khairtabad, Hyderabad.

Can i post a pic?

YetiBlog® - Of weddings and drivings.(France, Germany, Italy, Croatia and Slovenia)-picture-079.jpg
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:29   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Epilogue

We reached Nuremberg, didn't stop. Didn't stop anywhere at all, save a quick pee stop. We drove and drove and drove and eventually reached home at about 11pm that day.

By my calculation we'd averaged about 100 kmph, including our stops. Unmatchable anywhere else.

We crashed.

I'd miscalculated in my head, we had another day (of packing and closure) in Bad Nauheim. However I still had to wake up early by myself and drive to the airport in order to pay our fines.

Which brings me to the last incident on my travel. Air India.

Rarely have I seen more haphazardness.

I had called Air India reservation (made a call from Croatia to India) and asked them the fee for date-change.

50 US$ per passenger came the prompt reply and I was not surprised. I had been told about that date change fee and I think it is reasonable.
How do I pay you? Can I pay just before I fly?
No, you must go the the Ar India booking office and pay 24 hours before you fly.
Really? That's inconvenient. Well, do you have an Air India booking office in Croatia?
Where?
C-R-O-A-T-I-A
. I spell it out for her.
One moment. I grin. I'll bet not. No.

You have to go to the city office in Frankfurt.
Really? Can I not go to the airport and pay?
One moment.
I grimace. I hope so. Frankfurt Airport is easier to get to from Bad Nauheim. Besides I know the way, lol.
She returns. You can pay at the airport yes, but we don't have a permanent office there. I know, they use Fraport services at the airport. You will have to be there during the time the previous flight is taking off. At about 8 or 9 am the day before your flight.

And so it came to pass that at 7am I was driving 888 alone on the A5 to Frankfurt Airport.

Entschuldigung, is this where I pay for the date change penalty?
The German man at the little counter marked Air India (and 3 other airlines) looks at me blankly. I explain to him. He nods.
And what they tell you the fine is?
50 USD per passenger.

He nods. Pay you tomorrow.
Tomorrow? I drove 50 kilometres to pay you. I laugh inside at the irony of that statement.
Tomorrow.

When Jenny and I are at the airport, we are sent from one counter to the other to play office-office. Jenny is now waiting in the check-in line and I'm waiting at another line to pay.
Finally the young lady who speaks to me only in German says

Sechzig Euro bitte.
Not so bad. 100 dollars translates into 60 euros?
Fuer uns beide I say smiling. (for both of us)
Ja.
I reconfirm. Sechzig euro.
She stares at me. Ein hundert sechzig.
The penny drops. I forget all my German. WHAT? 160 euros for what? I was told quite clearly on the phone it was 50 USD per person.

What results is can be clearly translated as an argument. They're just lucky I don't let Jenny loose on them.
I am faced with terrible confusion and arguments in what is clearly gross miscommunication between Fraport and Air India.

The senior German turns out to be "pay you tomorrow"
don't teach me my job Mister.
I am aghast. I am never what you would term as an annoying man at the counter. I've never been spoken to like so.
Before Senior man could come in, young lady called Air India who first confirmed 80 euros per passenger and when she told them what I insisted on, they relented and told her to collect 45 euros per passenger.

I would have paid and checked in, but her credit card machine wasn't working too well. That when senior man entered.
No it is 80 euros and that's what you must pay.

I shake my head at the frustration of it all.
I'm not teaching you to do your job, but are you calling me a liar? This young lady was about to swipe my card for 90 euros because that's what Air India told her to do.
Well they are wrong! It is 80 euros per passenger. Who is going to the extra me?

It turns into F's and B's (from him!!) and I realise that more than anything else, he is annoyed at being wrong!

This is a long post I apologise, but does not convey my frustration enough at Air India's reservation mismanagement in Frankfurt. I am afraid that they have repeatedly done everything in their power to convert a loyalist like me, against them.

The matter ends with me looking for an ATM at the airport in order to pay 90 euros in cash to the counter and being a bit late for check-in.

I am tired angry and frustrated. To be honest, everything is annoying me.

Especially the typical Indian crotch-to-bum stance at the queue. Why must you stick yourself to me? Can't you stand 3 inches behind me? Will the plane leave any faster if you try to reproduce with me?

I don't want to be surrounded by a billion people, smog and traffic. I love India, especially the warmth of Indian friendship and hospitality -- but I would rather be at a quiet lake right now.

It will pass, this feeling and soon I will let myself by sucked into the vortex that is Bombay.

Like standing in front of a Virar fast local. You can't even change your mind about getting in if you stand close to the entrance. You'll be sucked in and thrown out when the train feels it is time.

When will Bombay feel it is time to throw us out?

The END.
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:55   #365
Senior - BHPian

Sweet. Sorry the ending wasnt romantic but looked like a wake up call. Have a great married life and have many more trips as such. You just made me decide on having a similar trip planned! Wild do something on the same lines soon
Old 23rd October 2010, 14:21   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahhh... back to reality with a crash!

Thank you Sam and Jenny, for sharing your absolutely wonderful trip with us all.

Already looking forward to the next time!
Old 23rd October 2010, 17:51   #367
BHPian

Thank you Sam and Jenny!

It has been a wonderful experience reading through this thread. Honestly one of the best travelogues in T-BHP!

Looking forward to your next trip!
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:31   #368
Senior - BHPian

Autobahn - Venice - Croatia - Slovenia - Cows - Automatic Milking - Lovely scenery - rainbow - stupid flights .....

*sigh*

Welcome back to India.

Lovely travelogue. I felt as I was seated just beside you as you took me along all that was beautiful in Europe. Congratulations. Happy married life and all that.
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:44   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you.

It was a pleasure reliving everything for you. Thank you for reading, bearing with the time taken and most of all, enjoying this with us.

Until the next Yetiblog then
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:41   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Thank you.

It was a pleasure reliving everything for you. Thank you for reading, bearing with the time taken and most of all, enjoying this with us.

Sam, the best part of this travelogue was your narration of the Indian car parking system

What do you do daddy.?
I am the 'parking button pusher'.

What do you do daddy.?
I am the 'JAANE DOON KYA MAN'

Will definitely wait for the next Yetiblog.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 23rd October 2010 at 23:47. Reason: Edit
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:46   #371
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you.

So your Wonderful journey of your newly wedded life starts and sadly this travelogue ends

Congratulations and all the best for your new life ahead.

Untill the next Yetiblog then...!
Old 24th October 2010, 09:27   #372
BHPian

Quote:

Especially the typical Indian crotch-to-bum stance at the queue. Why must you stick yourself to me? Can't you stand 3 inches behind me? Will the plane leave any faster if you try to reproduce with me?

The END.

Above lines made me laugh for 5 min. One can easily get to know which counter is for the return flight. Counter where many children/infants crying, people talking loudly or rushing to enter the plane as if their seat will be taken by somebody would be our flight counter.

After reading your travelogue I feel that I should also share my trips and above all should visit countries like Croatia, Slovenia.

Trip 1> England - Switzerland - Canada in 40 days
Trip 2> Switzerland - Germany - Holland - Belgium - Italy - Austria in 16 Days

Thanks for sharing such a nice and detailed travelogue.

Last edited by fiat_fan : 24th October 2010 at 09:40.
Old 24th October 2010, 09:55   #373
BHPian

Hi Sam,

First of all Many Many Congratulations to u and Jenny for wedding
Best Wishes for your married life
Have been silent reader of your blogs. They are entertaining,
informational & make a connect. Thanks for sharing with us.

have u been to USA? would love to read your experience here.

Take care,
rawnak
Old 25th October 2010, 22:30   #374
BHPian

Sam,

The 3rd castle in post #355 loos like the "eagle's nest castle" from the movie - Where Eagles Dare.But that castle I believe is in Bavaria.

Oh..how I would give my arm and a leg to be there.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:26   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbleguru View Post
Sam,

The 3rd castle in post #355 loos like the "eagle's nest castle" from the movie - Where Eagles Dare.But that castle I believe is in Bavaria.

Oh..how I would give my arm and a leg to be there.
You made me do a little research.

"C" is where the Kehlsteinhaus, the "Eagle's nest" is. It is in Bavaria alright, but close to the Austrian border and only 35kms from Salzburg.

"A" is Bled in Slovenia and "B" is Salzburg, Austria.

Name:  Picture 8.png
Views: 2291
Size:  512.1 KB

Given the fact that we were approaching Salzburg at the time I took the picture, it is in fact Hitler's "Kehlsteinhaus, The Eagle's nest" depicted in the movie "Where Eagles Dare"

At the time, I took this picture in ignorance however.

Thank you for pointing this wonderful fact out!
Closed Thread