Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

View Poll Results: What do I wish for you Sam & Jenny?
Congratulations on your wedding and every happiness! 371 63.97%
A long happy life together! 497 85.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24th August 2010, 15:33   #61
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful writeup and pics, what a thread. Keep it coming Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And so it comes to pass that I find myself at the wheel of the Laguna. My first impression - it is a really quick car, even though it is diesel. The engine is surprisingly quiet and vibration free.
Actually it is too easy to cross the speed limit and I find myself touching 15 and 160 before I look at the speedo and then slow down.
Waaah, a wedding and drive impressions all rolled into one. Kya baat hai. Full paisa wasool.
Old 24th August 2010, 16:14   #62
BHPian

Its always a pleasure reading your blogs, Sam.

Keep them coming.

Cheers,
Old 24th August 2010, 16:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
In US, insurance charges jack up if you use Indian Driving License.
No, they don't. Which rental agency did you use? Insurance is higher only if you are under 25 and if more people are officially included as drivers.
Old 25th August 2010, 05:01   #64
BHPian

kya toh bhi hai miya??? kaiku satarein? hyderbadiyon ke jaisa kaiku late karre?

thoda ek do line toh likh do hum gareebon ke liye!! taras jaare bechare!
Old 25th August 2010, 08:25   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
No, they don't. Which rental agency did you use? Insurance is higher only if you are under 25 and if more people are officially included as drivers.
All rentals try to tack on $10 - $25 per day as Insurance charges depending on class of vehicle.

If you are US resident, you have option to decline the insurance. Just plan for 10 -15 mins to fend of marketing pitch. Most corporate travel insurance already cover collision damage + vehicle damage + third party claims for personal travel beyond 100 miles. Used to do that in past.

At the moment I am on a visitor visa and using Indian license. With Indian license its nearly impossible to fend off useless insurance charges.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:13   #66
BHPian

Kya Sam bhai,

Aur kitna wait karna padega. Ek one liner hi update kar do bhai.
Old 25th August 2010, 18:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

nice write-up man. cheers ! keep it coming
Old 26th August 2010, 08:57   #68
BHPian

Hello Sam!
I have been a avid follower of your comments / postings / advice and blogs! Must say you have a very good sense of writing mixed with humor. If it wasn't the audio business i know you will make it big as a writer
Congrats and keep it coming!

Cheers!
-Z
Old 26th August 2010, 09:15   #69
BHPian

Nice to see another awesome write up by Sam. It was long overdue and I had been waiting for one for a long now. Collect my wishes from the thread poll results Sam .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

A colleague of mine, with a Brit public-school accent and about the same accomplishment in French as mine, jumped into a cab outside our Paris office and muttered "Gare du Nord". It would have been about a 30-minute walk, and I used to walk it when I was there.

Some time later, he was amazed to find the driver pulling up a the departures area of Charles de Gaulle

Somehow, he managed to catch his Eurostar train back to London!
That reminds me of my visit to France 6 years ago with my best mate. Every time we asked people (not as in general public but person at customer service counter at different tourist/service locations) for assistance/direction in English, they replied in French. at one point we stopped asking in English and started talking to French in Punjabi. I don't know if its French thing to ridicule non-French speaking people by talking to them in French but we did have hell of time talking to French in Punjabi

Last edited by Punzabi : 26th August 2010 at 09:20.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:19   #70
BHPian

Amazing travelogue . I must say Sam you have a "pen"chant, well in this case for the keyboard . I always look forward to your logs. Only flip-side is your posts get lost in a sea of responses (well I am one of those responding ) .. France is a beautiful country would love to visit is sometimes, but all that I have seen twice of it is the Charles De-Gaulle airport en-route US.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

Ok - so I finally land up in Bad Nauheim.

But this post is to let you guys know that I am now enjoying a spanking new Audi A3 for a week.

Old 26th August 2010, 12:33   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Man! you look very young

Congrats and may you two soon become three or four
Old 26th August 2010, 12:37   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
P.S. I would like to add that Sixt France was also perfectly happy to accept my Maharashtra state Indian driving license ka xerox along with a xerox of my passport and was happy to inform me that I was allowed to drive in France with it. No special license required.
Yes, I experienced that as well when I hired a car in Germany way back in 2003-04. They were quite happy to accept my Indian driving license.
Old 26th August 2010, 13:57   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
All rentals try to tack on $10 - $25 per day as Insurance charges depending on class of vehicle.

If you are US resident, you have option to decline the insurance. Just plan for 10 -15 mins to fend of marketing pitch. Most corporate travel insurance already cover collision damage + vehicle damage + third party claims for personal travel beyond 100 miles. Used to do that in past.

At the moment I am on a visitor visa and using Indian license. With Indian license its nearly impossible to fend off useless insurance charges.
I am told if you have a Credit Card like AX, MC or Visa, your insurance is covered by them. So no need to take an insurance from the rental company. And this works for international credit cards too.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:07   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Ok - so I finally land up in Bad Nauheim.

But this post is to let you guys know that I am now enjoying a spanking new Audi A3 for a week.

Tu aish mar N_C. Tujhe bhi Sam ki aadat lag gayi

Damn you are gonna rip that A3 on the Autobahns.

Last edited by leadf00t : 26th August 2010 at 15:10.
Closed Thread