Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 30th August 2010, 20:27   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent photographic details. The story also is very addictive.
@susan, Thanks !!

Quote:
Larkin is a pathetic place to eat. I hated the restaurants on the level above (if you can call them restaurants). Very smelly and big turn off for vegetarians.
@MX6, Though I try to be really cool and backpacking and all. I pack food when traveling around SEA and open up the food whenever and wherever I feel hungry. I'm an Indian traveller

Quote:
And the touts get on the nerves too
They are really nice to talk to. I got to know a few good destinations and fastest ways to get there. Also express routes.

Quote:
So did you end up in Melaka instead?
One more post to go.
evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 20:35   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

guess you did end up in Merising then.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 23:06   #18
BHPian

The bus stand pics were good, especially the last good bye one.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 21:33   #19
BHPian

@Mx6 Mersing was the Destination

My idea of visiting a destination is to just walk around the place CLick pictures, talk to people. The fun is trying to establish a conversation when you do not know the language. Get to know their culture and generally understand how they spend their time and indulge in them. May be not a very touristy type. Infact one guy took me on his motorbike to have coffee. I was the only one sitting in the beach, facing the vast sea getting the breeze on my face and sipping coffee. One thing I like about fishing villages are they are laid back but very lively.

....Cont, After spending about 2 hours in JB, Finally the bus arrived to Mersing. The promised business class seats were nothing to talk about, Except that there was enough space to strech my legs.

The bus went through the curvy roads, and the only thing i got to see was carpets of Palm Trees. The distance to Mersing was 140Km and esily covered in 2 hrs.

The moment I landed in the busstop, first thing that stuck mw was the laid back environment. It was just calm and people seemed to be very ralxed. Also very courteous and soft spoken. I was offered a ferry ride to Tioman, Which I declined considering that I had to get back to SIngapore.

Mersing is a small fishing town, in the banks of Mersing river which flows in to the South China Sea at near the Fishing dock. The primary occupation is fishing. Further down to Mersing there are a few good hidden beaches, which again I did not have time to visit. This was in the mid of Ramzan fasting, So most of the restaurants were closed. I met quite a lot interesting folks and children. Loads of information, which will be diffiult and long for me to pen down.

A few experiences

Asusual while walking through the kampung villages , kids were asking me money for taking their pictures, which as a practice I declined and just gave them some chocolates that I had taken.

Met a black magician, This guy did not let me take his picture. The reason was, I can cast a spell on a person with just his photo. Then added hair, dress anything that person touches. This is when I realized how close we are culturally.

Let me just start my photo-log of this destination.

1. Primary mode of travel are two wheelers. Sometimes while walking down the road I felt, It was safe to walk in India. Though some basic rules are followed. Generally there is no sense of safe driving.

2. Its quite hot in the afternoon, So most of them spend their time relaxing during the noon. Old lady relaxing @ a shopping complex

3.Kids enjoying the break from school

4.Primary source of income is fishing. The river is full of Kampung houses which double as boat docks. Fisherman getting ready for the catch.

5.spidey or superman

6.Evening rush hour at the city centre

7. Because of lots of fishing boats, there were a few workshops along the river. Infact quite a lot of them. These folks were really cooperating till I got my perfect shot. One of the workers shied away, seeing my camera

8. Kampung houses are quite famous in Malaysia. They are made of wood and typically has a kitchen, Bedroom and a living room. They are normally raised from the ground, because of flooding and to avoid insects and pests inside the house.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:34   #20
BHPian

Photlog Cont

9. I went to this place during the Ramzan fasting period. In the evenng people flocked to the market to buy food to break their fast. Infact once I landed, Bought a pack of biscuits and started eating during the fasting time. People gave me a weird look and later realized that was the fasting time.

10. Bay leaves. Not sure what this is used for.

11. Some of the Kampung houses are very colourful. I liked this one especially becuase of the way it merges with the colour of the sky.

12.I was walking through the Kampung village, and most of them were relaxing int he evening aswell. But the walk was quite lively. Kids playing football at every corner. An old lady relaxing at her house
[IMG]ttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4920503430_a899ce1c86.jpg[/IMG]

13. Sunset against the boats docked in Mersing river

14. Three layers of dumpling cooked in leaf containers. It is cooked by steaming the container and served hot. Three layers of dumpling, Beef, Vegtable and chicken. This is also a typical food to break the Ramzan fasting.

15. Parting shots from the Bus stand while waiting for the bus. I was lazy to get the tripod out. I was lying flat on my stomach to get these pictures. People thought I was crazy

Old 1st September 2010, 21:38   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

They have a delicacy called otak otak. It's basically cake made of fish cake inside Banana leaf. Sometimes they use Bay leaf as well.
That must have been the smelliest cake I've ever seen in my life.

The bay leaf fish cake is called empek empek palembang

Those are typical Indonesian dishes I guess.

Last edited by MX6 : 1st September 2010 at 21:43.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 23:03   #22
BHPian

There you go again MX6, thanks for the information.
And thanks Evo for sharing the pics. They are good.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote