Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th September 2010, 14:20   #91
Team-BHP Support

What an amazing account Dr. Ghosh. Awaiting to see more leopard pics. I have ventured just once into a national park(corbet) and had to return after just seeing deers!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 14:24   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

The picture of the two leopards together is just wonderful. Can't get it out of my mind.

I've never seen either outside of a zoo, but these creatures seem to be even more amazing than tigers.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 14:50   #93
BHPian

As always your encounter with these amazing creatures are delightful and i was on virtual tour while reading the narration. All pictures have touch of class and is doubled by the explanation of things in detail.
It is incredible how you can track down these elegant species, with the help of technology and by the knowledge of the guards.

Your TL's are delivering perfect message in spreading awareness to conserve our forests.

I am truly inspired by your dedication and passion for wildlife.
maximus. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 14:51   #94
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Dr. Ghosh,

Wonderful pictures and narration as usual.

One question - is the leopard in the "Yawn" picture missing a canine tooth in the lower jaw? Only one tooth is visible in the picture in the lower jaw.

Biju
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 15:17   #95
BHPian

pjbiju: Thats a good catch.. Indeed looks like one of the canines is missing. Maybe the reason wht the leopard has given in to cattle lifting as its easier. If so, he is spoiling the habits of his companion who may be absolutely healthy.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 15:26   #96
BHPian

Macro pics are just superb!!! wonderful stufff
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 15:49   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Dr. Ghosh,
One question - is the leopard in the "Yawn" picture missing a canine tooth in the lower jaw? Only one tooth is visible in the picture in the lower jaw.
Biju
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
pjbiju: Thats a good catch.. Indeed looks like one of the canines is missing. Maybe the reason wht the leopard has given in to cattle lifting as its easier. If so, he is spoiling the habits of his companion who may be absolutely healthy.
OMG You guys are right. There is definitely something wrong with that lower Jaw. I wonder whats the case.
Let me review the original RAW of this pic and get back.

But one thing is definite : This was the photograph of the female. I could swear on that. Wonder whats going on. Will check ad revert ack asap.

Thanks for bringing it to my notice.

regards
Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 16:22   #98
BHPian

Default Lower jaw - What do we have here ? :Shockked:

What do we have here ?
Heaven & Hell @ the same place.......  Melghat Tiger Reserve here I come-jaw.jpg
Click on the photo for a full resolution pic.

I am going to report this to the Forest department this instance and ask them to review the pugmark traces taken from the kill sites.
Thank you TBHP for this revelation.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 9th September 2010, 16:29   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
pjbiju: Thats a good catch.. Indeed looks like one of the canines is missing. Maybe the reason why the leopard has given into cattle lifting as its easier.
This animal is very capable of extensive collateral damage with just its claws but of course needs the canines to choke and complete the kill.

However the loss of one canine cannot be attributed to the easy way out taken of lifting cattle.

In Ranthambore a tigress has just one canine and successfully hunts antelopes as big as a sambars.

Dr. Ghosh even if the pug-marks do match, the loss of one canine just cannot handicap a young leopard of this size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
Your TL's are delivering perfect message in spreading awareness to conserve our forests.
That is the reason Dr.Ghosh has been posting here very regularly. Inculcating the need to save our forest and wildlife is the need of today.
If not now then there is no need to do it in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
but these creatures seem to be even more amazing than tigers.
They are more cunning and much much more adapatable than any big cat, from desert to snow and anywhere in-between...both these qualities are the primary reasons why they are spread across the globe since evolution began.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg;2063097
Thats true and one fine day this cattle lifter will be captured once again and relocated somewhere else................. [B
and the vicious circle will repeat[/b] !!

And after a few such cycles the beautiful beast will be shot dead on orders of the department after labeling it as a serial offender.
Probability is that they will be poisoned by the villagers first.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 19:00   #100
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Had missed the updated story of the leopard. Awesome doc.. Hair raising encounter! And very good shots of the beast as well!!

5* from me
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 22:03   #101
BHPian

Superb pics and great story, looking forward to Tadoba, hope the rain Gods have mercy over the weekend. Five stars from me.

Cheers!
Fatboyslim

Last edited by fatboyslim : 9th September 2010 at 22:04.
fatboyslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 22:10   #102
Senior - BHPian

Just brilliant ..amazing stuff.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 03:01   #103
Senior - BHPian

Leopard sighting and that too of a pair. You are really lucky but it's also your meticulous way of plotting previous sighting helped I guess. I can understand how it feels to spot these Big Cats roaming in their natural habitat.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 13:22   #104
BHPian

Default Bye bye from Melghat.......

Dear friends,
Over the past 2 weeks since I started this thread, I have been overwhelmed by fabulous comments on my photos, congratulatory PM's and well wishing sms's.

I thank you everybody who has been following this travelogue for the wonderful response in terms of ratings (this thread has so far received 37 votes of 5 star ratings in a matter of 7 pages).

This being the first travelogue that I have ever posted here (although I have contributed with my photographs in many others) it gives me total satisfaction to see such a tremendous readership response of this travelogue (having received 8,673 viewer hits so far in 2 weeks)

I must also thank the moderators for featuring this TL in the hot threads section of this website for a full week.

I am heartened to see so may sensitive readers who have congratulated me for my work for the showcasing the hardships of the tribals here; and for conservation & popularization of these central indian wildlife destinations.

I am also thankful to so many TBHP members who have chosen to visit some of these places with me and experience the wilds from my point of view. I thank you all for not being tiger centric during your visit and for enjoying the wilds in their entirety.

Thank you friends. I have been really touched by the love and great words from all of you. I have been enthused to carry on this effort and continue posting about my experiences here.

Having said that I must say that its time to move on from Melghat to the other destinations which are also close to my heart. And with these 3 images that I am posting here, I am bringing the curtains down on my story of my visit to this place which I though was a mix of pleasures of Heaven & the tortures of Hell.
I have ran out of presentable images

This weekend my radar points to Tadoba once again and hopefully by monday I should be able to present Tadoba Tiger reserve again from a very different perspective in front of all of you. Let the perspective be a surprise for now. I am sure you all will love it.

So, bye bye for now from Melghat.........
I will be surely going back there very soon to finish some of my unfinished objectives.

I kept the best of my images for the conclusion here. The last 2 pics can be blown up to wall paper proportions. Enjoy.

Postcard from Melghat
Name:  2 eps10 copy.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  83.0 KB

An enchanted forest
Heaven & Hell @ the same place.......  Melghat Tiger Reserve here I come-clipboard01-copy.jpg

Curtains down
Heaven & Hell @ the same place.......  Melghat Tiger Reserve here I come-sunset-point-chikhaldara-copy-copy.jpg

warm regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

P.S: We will however continue our discussions about the various hot topics under scanner here and I will update you as soon as I hear back from the park ranger.
Old 10th September 2010, 14:05   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
I had never imagined that this visit would turn into my best leopard spotting trip till date and I would end up seeing and adequately photographing not 1 but 2 leopards very near the human settlement at Semadoh !!

Now wait a second, did i just say 2 leopards ???

What are the odds of coming across and adequately photographing a leopard in total wilds ?
From my experience : a 1 in a million.

In the words of the great shikari Jim Corbett in the celebrated novel " The Man Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag" :
He was a magical beast, the ghost of the darkness !!
He was describing a leopard which had terrorized an entire district.

One of the exploits of this leopard as given in the book is as follows : At dusk a man and his friend were sitting inside a hut in darkness chatting with each other and smoking hookah. One of them accidentally dropped the hookah. Shouting at his friend that he would set the hut ablaze, the man stooped to pick up the ash and as he did so, the door of the hut which was open, came to his view and through it, silhouetted against the rising moon, he saw the leopard carrying away his friend. The man claimed not to have heard as much as the intake of a breath during the entire procedure.Many such spine-chilling instances of the leopard’s notoriety are presented in the book.
This leopard was a particular animal and thus no conclusions should be drawn from it about leopards in general.But in truth, the leopard is the most beautiful of all animals to be found in the Indian jungle,shy and agile in its own unique way. It is one of the most beautiful creations of God and we should all vow for the conservation and protection of the Indian Leopard.
Wonderful presentation of your experience. I am reminded of the book "Nine Man Eaters & a Rouge" by, the South Indian equivalent of Jim Corbett, Kenneth Anderson.

In the first case he talks of Leopard as "Because of his smaller size he can conceal himself in places impossible to a tiger, his need for water is far less, and in veritable demoniac cunning and daring, coupled with the uncanny sense of self-preservation and stealthy disappearance when danger threatens, he has no equal."

Here is a link to how leopards can survive anywhere The Hindu : Metro Plus Pondicherry / Columns : A leopard comes calling. It is because of this am not so concerned about the long term survival of leopards because they are ultimate survivors in the mode of cockroaches. But they also deserve the best respect as well for their adaptablity.

The second instance of an analogy from the above book is the case of "The Hosdurga Holalkere Man-Eater" where he mentions the pair of tigers as "It was late that evening before we could leave for Bangalore with the skins of the two tigers that had formed such an exceptional and unheard-of combination, as cattle-killer and maneater hunting together."

Thanks once again for sharing your experience.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote