Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th September 2010, 15:24   #106
Senior - BHPian

My my! What an ending to a great TL. Indeed the best was saved for the last but still somehow i am not able to forget the bug in the water drop and the night shots of the leopard which still rank high in my list. Of course taking nothing away from the last 3 snaps which are awesome in their own way
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 20:50   #107
BHPian

Great pics Doc and fantastic ending to a very deserving 5 star log

One thought though why did you mention about reporting to the forest officials about a missing canine of the female leopard?
schitre05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 21:48   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Wonderful presentation of your experience. I am reminded of the book "Nine Man Eaters & a Rouge" by, the South Indian equivalent of Jim Corbett, Kenneth Anderson.

Here is a link to how leopards can survive anywhere The Hindu : Metro Plus Pondicherry / Columns : A leopard comes calling.

Thanks once again for sharing your experience.
Thaks for the link to the great story. Your link mentions vidya atreya whose work I have referenced in this TL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
My my! What an ending to a great TL. Indeed the best was saved for the last but still somehow i am not able to forget the bug in the water drop and the night shots of the leopard which still rank high in my list. Of course taking nothing away from the last 3 snaps which are awesome in their own way
Thank you so very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Great pics Doc and fantastic ending to a very deserving 5 star log

One thought though why did you mention about reporting to the forest officials about a missing canine of the female leopard?
Thank you again.
I reported the instance of the missing canine to the forest officials as they had initially guessed the male to be the cattle lifter but from the discussion here it doesn't look like that any more and the finger gets pointed to the female with the broken canine to be the most likely offender.

I was waiting for this question to be asked by someone here.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed as to the identity of the cattle lifter.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

P.S: I will be off to Tadoba tomorrow morning and wont be able to respond to the posts here till monday. I hope to be back with another thrilling story.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 00:04   #109
Senior - BHPian

Awesome doc. A heart job from a cardiologist. My 5*.

I was just wondering when you mentioned that you used the camera flash to shoot the leopard, what was the reaction of the beast? Was it put off/ diverted attention towards you etc..? I think flash light is ok but camera flash might be disturbing.

Finally, Did you rescue the bug from the water drop or did you let the nature take its course? After all you are a doc and you save lives.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 11th September 2010 at 00:06.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 16:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Dr Abheek,The photos are wonderful !

You are multi-talented Man ,Photography,Doc,Wild life enthusiast jeep lover and what not

I wanted to have such encounters with wild life right from childhood but it has not happened till now.i will definitely join you some time into the forest

BTW i just heard the roar of the leopard and thinking if i should enter the forest in my lifetime,its so so scary !
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 11:12   #111
BHPian

Default Bad news from melghat

Dear all
I just heard from the forest department.They have determined that it is the female leopard which is mostly lifting the cattle.But what is more disturbing that the pugmarks of the male leopard is also being seen around the kill sites.Which means that either the male is helping the female lift cattle or the female is enticing its partner to share the spoils.Either ways, the department is looking to capture them both and relocate...........

And we all know very well how that would help.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 20th March 2011, 11:49   #112
BHPian

Default Re: Heaven & Hell @ the same place....... Melghat Tiger Reserve here I come

Excellent pohtography coupled with great narration and information about wildlife. I wish I had met you earlier.

September October this year would like to spend time with you in the forests.

Do you upload your pics on flickr?

I have been using a Nikon D 80 for my Ladakh Photography. For wild life I will need to seek you out for cameras and lenses. Next 2 years I should be in the jungles, thanks to you.

Regards

Commander Nandu Chitnis (Retired)
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 12:09   #113
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Heaven & Hell @ the same place....... Melghat Tiger Reserve here I come

Greetings Commander,

You have a very capable camera body in your hands. What you shall need is a decent telephoto lens. A 70~200 f/2.8 or 80~200 f/2.8 or even the 70~300 f/4.5-5.6 is a very capable wildlife lens.

Of course nothing like a prime 300mm f/4 and above. Needless to say the Nikkor glasses are expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post

I have been using a Nikon D 80 for my Ladakh Photography. For wild life I will need to seek you out for cameras and lenses. Next 2 years I should be in the jungles, thanks to you.

Regards

gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:13   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Awesome doc. A heart job from a cardiologist. My 5*.
Thanks.

Quote:
I was just wondering when you mentioned that you used the camera flash to shoot the leopard, what was the reaction of the beast? Was it put off/ diverted attention towards you etc..? I think flash light is ok but camera flash might be disturbing.
Camera flash is surely disturbing and I avoided using the flash barring one pic. I have seen that car headlights and spotlights dont bother them that much.

Quote:
Finally, Did you rescue the bug from the water drop or did you let the nature take its course? After all you are a doc and you save lives.
Nature was finally left to deal with the bug trapped in the water droplet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Dr Abheek,The photos are wonderful !

You are multi-talented Man ,Photography,Doc,Wild life enthusiast jeep lover and what not

I wanted to have such encounters with wild life right from childhood but it has not happened till now.i will definitely join you some time into the forest

BTW i just heard the roar of the leopard and thinking if i should enter the forest in my lifetime,its so so scary !
Ram you are welcome to join me whenever you are free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Excellent pohtography coupled with great narration and information about wildlife. I wish I had met you earlier.

September October this year would like to spend time with you in the forests.

Do you upload your pics on flickr?

Regards

I am happy that we have finally met. Where are you based and what do you do sir ? It will be my pleasure to assist you in your travels.
If you can plan your itienerary and keep me posted about it, I will try to join you whever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Greetings Commander,

You have a very capable camera body in your hands. What you shall need is a decent telephoto lens. A 70~200 f/2.8 or 80~200 f/2.8 or even the 70~300 f/4.5-5.6 is a very capable wildlife lens.

Of course nothing like a prime 300mm f/4 and above. Needless to say the Nikkor glasses are expensive.
A 70-300 VR will serve you the best for mammal photography atleast in central india. 300mm 2.8 VR would the best though.

But as they say there is no end to how much one can and will spend on camera lenses. Its best to actually try out these lenses in the wild and pick up the ones that suit your photography style.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh