Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th August 2010, 14:46   #31
Team-BHP Support

Nice story Aargee, but I too have the same problem. Its not nice looking at blurred faces!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 16:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 4 - Aug 24 continued

We started off from home by 05:40 sharp towards Etumanur via MC road towards Kottayam; ODO clock 46708. The roads are not smooth, but not bad, we could top upto 80 Kmph at some stretches but could not keep good average speed due to curvy roads. We reach Etumanur at 6:50 sharp when the ODO clocks 46747

The temple is dedicated to lord Shiva & had a huge parking area in the front, say, it can hold about 50 cars easily without any parking lines.

This is the frontal view
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-452.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-459.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-464.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-465.jpg

Some views on the cars being parked
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-456.jpg

This is the left side when one looks at the temple; the left side has another small temple dedicated to lord Vishnu. Any temple in KL would have a temple dedicated to lord Krishna or Vishnu.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-460.jpg

View inside the temple; I lowered down the camera & took some pics.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-466.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-468.jpg

Temple pond that is used for bathing
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-471.jpg

I'm not posting the pics on Vishnu temple as I've my cousins & to avoid blurring their faces.

We were outside the temple by 7:15 after having good darshan; at split second all of us agreed that we could go to Panachikadu temple & still make our way to Chotanikkara. So we started driving towards Panachikadu instead of driving towards Malliyoor.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 16:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
First of all thank you for this interesting and well written travelogue
Thanks freakmuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice story Aargee, but I too have the same problem. Its not nice looking at blurred faces!
Ok, then, I'm not posting those pics; so some of the postings will not have any pics at all & will form only write-ups.
Old 29th August 2010, 16:45   #34
Team-BHP Support

Good coverage of the places! Never driven on the MC road.
Old 29th August 2010, 16:57   #35
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I have seen loads of wildlife there during my innumerous visits.
ayyappa is still a bachelor. hence nubile women are not allowed there. I went there first as a 1 year old baby. father carried me, his irumudi and my irumudi! one should take the 45 day penance and go through erumeli. especially the pettai thullal and the appearance of Garuda when the thiruvabharana petti is brought are sights to. behold. kanni chaamis will go around sticking arrows in sarangothi aal. but the best sight is makara vilakku. the atmosphere turns magic during that with over lakhs of devotees going up in unison, chanting swamiye sharanam ayyappa.
posted this from my new mobile. yet to see the photos.
thanks aargee
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 17:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

We initially assumed that we could go to Panachikadu & still take darshan at Chotanikkara temple & hence we rushed here. Started from Etumanur at 7:17 at ODO clock 46747 & reached Panachikadu at 8:08 when ODO clocks 46769

This is the front view of the temple
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-480.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-499.jpg

In this temple, lord Saraswathy is located in the fence area that you see in the pic; I haven't seen such a temple where the idol is exposed without any protection of four walls or roof. The entire area around the idol is surrounded with betel leaf plant. One comes to the top to get darshan of God. Like Moogambika temple, children are seated for starting education (Vidhyarambam) any day & booking needs to be made in advance. I've been told that people wait for about 3-4 hours in queue to get Vidhyarambam for their children during Navaratri times. Also the parapet walls that you see on the pics has some white sand or may be salt, not sure & can write on it.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-486.jpg

The side from which I shot is dedicated to Yekshi, which is evil. The place looks very very eerie when we visited & I'm sure to die out of fear, if I'd visited this Yekshi temple at night. So pitch dark even during the sunshine with lots of creeper plants.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-487.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-498.jpg

Finally we start around 8:08 after darshan & time for some breakfast. We go to Hotel Soorya in Kotayam around 8:58 when ODO clocks 46783 by mistake thinking its Aryaas; we didn't have much choice due to the vacation time with most of the hotels & shops closed out due to Onam season. Infact this hotel had only 2 people serving & 1 person cleaning for atleast a 50+ seater A/C restaurant.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-500.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 29th August 2010 at 17:06.
Old 29th August 2010, 17:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Nice travalogue and some interesting places,that i have been there myself in yesteryears.Seems you had lot of fun !!
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 17:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

We started from the restaurant around 9:27 & started driving towards Malliyoor. Somewhere in the middle, I stopped to feed my car for Rs 1000 when the ODO clocked 46793 at 9:56 AM.

After this we took diversion from MC road towards Ernakulam. The roads were awesome & we could simply glide. IMO, it was much breezer than driving through NH4.

We reached Malliyoor at 10:17 AM when the ODO clocked 46806. This temple has been flooding with donations in last few years especially after Dr. Yesudas had been offering free vocals and this is visible in the ongoing constructions in the temple with granites & cudappah stones.

The entrance to temple
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-508.jpg

After parking walking towards the temple
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-510.jpg

The ongoing construction for mandapam may be
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-519.jpg

Information bulletin, notice the ad on Ramco cements, clear evident on donations flow
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-520.jpg

Not sure the purpose of this construction. We'd parked our car close to this place.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-511.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-512.jpg

Inside the temple. I found this is the only temple having less restriction on usage of mobile & cameras.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-523.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-525.jpg

Outside the Ganesha temple, there're constructions going on for Lord Shiva, Vishnu & Badrakali. The one here's for Godess Badrakali, but the deity is not that frightening.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-526.jpg

The below one is dedicated to Lord Vishnu & Shiva
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-527.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 29th August 2010 at 17:32.
Old 29th August 2010, 17:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good coverage of the places! Never driven on the MC road.
MC road was the roads through which I learned my driving & inaugurated my first accident on driving school car. And now I was driving through this road immaculately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I have seen loads of wildlife there during my innumerous visits.
You mean in Sabarimalai or in KL? I've almost seen none of the wild animals in Sabarimalai except for squirrels & few other birds as they've now been restricting themselves to the inner most forest. Its a miracle that they know the season & never come out during those time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Nice travalogue and some interesting places,that i have been there myself in yesteryears.Seems you had lot of fun !!
Yes we did have loads of enjoyment.

Oh!!! BTW, I forgot to tell how many passengers can a WagonR carried that day...
Myself, Wifey, Mother, 2 heavy weight teen cousins , my Son, Daughter & a flyweight cousin. The last one was seated in WagonR's boot.

I was happy to violate the seating permit

Last edited by aargee : 29th August 2010 at 17:40.
Old 29th August 2010, 17:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

After good darshans, we're marched towards Ganesha temple & then towards the parking lot.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-528.jpg

Meanwhile, this dry tree catches my attention & I make a click
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-531.jpg

From here there's another temple dedicated to Sun & its just 2.5 Kms away. Since we were in high hopes of visiting Chotanikkara temple & Kadathuruthy closing by 11:00 AM, we just sped away.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-001.jpg

We started from Malliyoor by around 10:35 & Kadathuruthy is just 8 Kms that took hardly about 10 minutes due to the good roads.

Last edited by aargee : 29th August 2010 at 17:53.
Old 29th August 2010, 18:24   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Oh!!! BTW, I forgot to tell how many passengers can a WagonR carried that day...
Myself, Wifey, Mother, 2 heavy weight teen cousins , my Son, Daughter & a flyweight cousin. The last one was seated in WagonR's boot.

I was happy to violate the seating permit
Not Good ... Not Good. Safety first.
Old 29th August 2010, 19:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not Good ... Not Good. Safety first.
Ofcourse, I drive safe; I've the Drive Safe sticker facing towards me on the windshield

On this entire trip, never once I raced, not once I forgot to yield for speeding vehicles, infact, most of the times I pulled over allowing most vehicles to overtake me easily. Not once did anyone find difficult in overtaking me.

I'm very glad about TBhp shaping my driving skills.
Old 29th August 2010, 19:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi aargee, jkrishnakj, thanks for the explanations/answers

is there any significance for the black colored cloths and the beard grown during the 45 days period ?
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 19:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
is there any significance for the black colored cloths and the beard grown during the 45 days period ?
Yes there is, I'm not yet done with my writings for you, that was just another break & is not over yet. Here's something that I intend to cover...
- The journey of previous & current generation
- How ideally one should visit Sabarimalai & a scientific explanation as why
- What is the significance of the 41/45/50 days waiting period (there's always a part of brain thinking in this angle )
- Should you undergo or not on the waiting period
- Last but not the least, what am I actually witnessing at Sabarimalai after the strenuous waiting period

Just give me some more time to write-up on those area

Last edited by aargee : 29th August 2010 at 19:17.
Old 29th August 2010, 19:38   #45
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sure we will give you time aargee. But then don't take too much time. Else I'll start posting

Anyway here's an interesting thing for Starvega (making peace you know because sabari gireesha is called shanta swaroopa)

There are 5 temples which were supposedly built by Parasurama.
Sabari mala (Sri Dharma sastha - Ayyappa).
Kulathupuzha (he's a kid here - Balaka)
Aryankavu (he's an adult here - Ayya)
Achchankovil (he's a king here - Arasu)
Erumeli (he's sri dharma sastha here).

That apart, he is still the Prince of Pandalam (pandala rajakumara).
Hence his Abharana is carried every year with Pettai thullal (man, that frenzy can't be described in words. One has to see it to know what it is)!

We used to do penance for 45 days and then go there every year and walk from Erumeli!
Because of the faith.
As they say in Malayalam
Swamiye kandaal motcham kittum.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote