Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st September 2010, 14:04   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But we can say it has become fashionable for some frivolous people to undertake pilgrimage to Sabarimala, and they wear it on their sleeve and make a mockery of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
People carry the footwear on their sleeves, because the moment the not so pious have their darshan, they wear the footwear and walk back.
Hey, you misunderstood me! I did not mean they wore the chappals on their sleeves, I meant they made a tamasha of their pilgrimage!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 15:04   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With Ayyappaswamis smoking beedis
MS, I can even forgive people having onion oothappam, but feel like thrashing the ones smoking. Who knows? Those hypocrites could even be consuming alcohol.

Quote:
why not they go ahead and wear footwear as well?
Yes, we started using slippers since last visit.

Quote:
Then can convenietly keep it behind the pathinettam padi
Sorry; I missed an info here. There's a place where one can leave the slippers. The place comes just before the shed starts & the hill ends at the top. Its near this point.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-310.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-311.jpg

Quote:
have darshan and walk away with any better looking pair.

Quote:
I remember seeing...
MS, he's a third rated fellow; I watch none of the Thamizh movies for over a decade now. IMO, this is how people are influenced to deviate from what's being followed.

Quote:
aargee! I have rated this five star. Except sabarimala, I have not seen the other temples shown here.
Thank you very much Gansan sir ; I hope you've visited Guruvayoor which will be 6th day's trip. However I don't have even a single picture on it. Thanks to the horrible restrictions & mile queues.

Quote:
There was one Arya restaurant near the old bus stand
There're several good ones; but since it was the day of Onam, most of the workers will be on vacation & shops closed. Only big shops such as Emmnuvel, Kalyan, Joy Alukkas are open throughout KL.

Quote:
But we can say it has become fashionable for some frivolous people to undertake pilgrimage to Sabarimala
+100000000...

Quote:
I wonder you did not mention about vavar swamy.
Ok; I'll mention about in the forth coming posts

Quote:
If we accept Vavar was a Muslim...
Interesting; I'll keep an eye on this statement too & google.

Quote:
So Vavar could have been an Arab who arrived on Indian shores during those times, but then could not have been a Muslim. So, which is correct?
I think so

Quote:
only those pigeons & fish that are within temple /Ashram premises will escape ending up on a dinner plate!
Well, what I intent to say is, people chase pigeons from temple, once they're outside, its endangered to be killed. Atleast this doesn't happen in KL.

Last edited by aargee : 1st September 2010 at 15:24.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 15:07   #108
MX6
Senior - BHPian

How come the quotes are showing things about vavar swamy and pigeons and fish as being quoted by me? I didn't post those.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 15:24   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Thank you very much Gansan sir ; I hope you've visited Guruvayoor which will be 6th day's trip. However I don't have even a single picture on it. Thanks to the horrible restrictions & mile queues.
Oh yes, I have seen Guruvayur temple, Anantha Padhbanamasway temple at Trivandrum (where for the first time in my life I saw the notice board of a temple employees union!) and the other temples associated with Ayyappa - Acchan Kovil, Aryankavu, Kulathur Puzha etc.

I have visited Kottayam quite a few times during my early years (6 - 8 years) to visit my maternal grandfather who was working for Travancore cements. He used to live near a famous temple which we visited everyday. I vaguely remember it was quite big and located at an elevation from the road, and had an elephant - which can be any temple at KL, isn't it? I think the place (area) was called kottaram or something like that.

Last edited by Gansan : 1st September 2010 at 15:27.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:28   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How come the quotes are showing things about vavar swamy and pigeons and fish as being quoted by me? I didn't post those.
Sorry, I did a typo error; Thanks for the correction & I've corrected the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
was called kottaram
Is it a place? Kottarakara?

There's another reason as why I love the Uthralikaavu. Its about half Kms away from the road & behind the temple...just see the pics for yourself
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-871.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-912.jpg
Is that all? Nope; there's even more scenic at the temple. I'll post them.

Last edited by aargee : 1st September 2010 at 15:32.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:39   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Is it a place? Kottarakara?
No, not Kottarakkara. Just called my Mom and she says it was Thirunakkara and the temple was a Shiva temple. They used to live in a compound called Manimala house, which later became hotel Indraprastha. Not sure if the hotel still stands!
Old 1st September 2010, 15:57   #112
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I see electrified tracks now. So till where do we have electric engines running in Kerala (pardon my ignorance. I've not been on a train in India since last 4 - 5 years or so.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 16:02   #113
Senior - BHPian

^^ IIRC the two tracks Via Alappuzha and Kottayam have been electrified completely till Thiruvananthapuram.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 18:42   #114
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 5 - Aug 25 continued

So in the evening, we decided to visit this temple; myself, Wifey, Cousin & 2 little devils.
Here's the view of the temple from the road
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-1102.jpg

Little zoom view from the same place on the road
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-1103.jpg

As we near the temple
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-874.jpg

As it was evening around 5:30 & the lights were dim, I couldn't zoom completely & take a steady shot. After numerous attempt, this is the most clearest shot that I could take from outside zooming inside.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-882.jpg

Left sides of the temple
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-889.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-890.jpg

Clear pic of the temple without any hinderances
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-893.jpg

Right sides of the temple
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-896.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-897.jpg

Donation board
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-914.jpg
Old 1st September 2010, 18:53   #115
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 5 - Aug 25 continued

We spent a good amount of time over there. Here're few more shots on the temple & within its premises
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-915.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-924.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-927.jpg

After that, the problem occurred on the car. See my previous post on the issue that I described here. I was driving with this issue for over 5 days now. Then finally the apron broke & the rest of the story on WagonR continues here.

Basically, I'd to leave the car for a day to M.A.S.S guys & had to take my Uncle's Santro for Angadipuram the next day. In a way it was good; I learned that Santro is a perfect soft car unlike WagonR. But one has to be more careful on the turnings & adjust to the little harder hydraulic power steering compared to easy EPS on WagonR.
Old 1st September 2010, 19:00   #116
Senior - BHPian

When you say that you do not write well & you do not have patience for detailed writing, its very clear what's waiting for the reader. Beautiful travelogue.

Kerala is one of my favorite place for driving. Why you have not considered your return journey via Kambam? Kanchirapalli-Kambam stretch is really beautiful
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 19:12   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
When you say that you do not write well & you do not have patience for detailed writing, its very clear what's waiting for the reader. Beautiful travelogue.
Thanks; there're few people who write so intellectually that even a silent observed leaves a kudos comment. Mine is not such writing; it has all the facts & information. Plain, blant writing to the point. No fancy English or any emotions attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Why you have not considered your return journey via Kambam? Kanchirapalli-Kambam stretch is really beautiful
We'll do that someday; since we were far off from Kanchirapally & also we'd to visit Palakkad. So obvious route is via breezy Coimbatore-Salem-Krishnagiri-Vellore road; also I want to drive through the good roads as I didn't want my Mother to get exhausted with bad roads.
Old 1st September 2010, 19:31   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ IIRC the two tracks Via Alappuzha and Kottayam have been electrified completely till Thiruvananthapuram.

Spike
Its fully electrified all the way. Double lined as well.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 20:08   #119
cLJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Spike
I think the Alapuzha track is not doubled and electrified. The Kottayam tracks, there are still some areas to be doubled for which land acquiring is ongoing.

CLJ
cLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 20:24   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
I think the Alapuzha track is not doubled and electrified. The Kottayam tracks, there are still some areas to be doubled for which land acquiring is ongoing.
OT- Not sure about track doubling, but damn sure it is fully electrified. I used to travel via the Alleppey route to Eranakulam during my college days. (Intercity and Janshatabdi)

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote