Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st September 2010, 20:47   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

We'll do that someday; since we were far off from Kanchirapally & also we'd to visit Palakkad. So obvious route is via breezy Coimbatore-Salem-Krishnagiri-Vellore road; also I want to drive through the good roads as I didn't want my Mother to get exhausted with bad roads.
@aargee:I took that Route for Velankanni and It was Awesome.Don't Miss it!
(Assuming KK Road NH220 is in Good Condition).It is Not a Long Drive from Muvattupuzha.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-enquiry.html (Muvattupuzha(kochin) to Velankanni-route enquiry:)

BTW, You Forgot to Visit Velloorkunnam Siva Temple?
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 20:53   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
I think the Alapuzha track is not doubled and electrified. The Kottayam tracks, there are still some areas to be doubled for which land acquiring is ongoing.

CLJ
I think its electrified all the way till TVM. (And I think its also double lined)
I Need to check once again.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 08:23   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I took that Route for Velankanni and It was Awesome.Don't Miss it!
(Assuming KK Road NH220 is in Good Condition).It is Not a Long Drive from Muvattupuzha.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-enquiry.html (Muvattupuzha(kochin) to Velankanni-route enquiry:)
Yep, I know your posts & I will follow any post of yours & you know that

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
BTW, You Forgot to Visit Velloorkunnam Siva Temple?
I visit Vellorekunnam temple very occasionally. Once when I went in there casually, the sanctum was closed & someone was saying should not leave until it opens. The door was opened nearly an hour or so. I really lost time as what I expected to be of 5 minutes visit became an hour's affair. So I always remain cautious there. Unless I get to know of the timings correctly, I wouldn't go there.

Also I missed...
1. Koikaadu Krishnan temple
2. Kaaranattukaavu - Awesome place in the evenings
3. Kallilambalam - Way too beautiful. I guess if I post the pics of this temple, people will become crazy to visit this place. Just describing about this temple in one sentence - the entire temple is made up of multiple rocks. No other materials were used to construct this temple and is located on top of hill where one cannot drive/ride & gives an experience of micro trekking.

Last edited by aargee : 2nd September 2010 at 08:25.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:57   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

@aargee - hope you loved the rains. I was in Kerala from 19th till yesterday. Only last two days I saw the sun.

But Kerala in Monsoons is to die for.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:43   #125
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 6 - Aug 26

After leaving the WagonR to M.A.S.S guys, I'd to take my Uncle's Santro the next day for Angadipuram & Guruvayoor trip. So the ODO clocks will be in different than the regular 45K updates.

So the route we took was
Wadakkancherry-Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-Angadipuram-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kootanadu-Guruvayoor-Choondal-Wadakkancherry.

Here's the route map
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-m1.jpg

Coming up
Pics & rituals at Angadipuram Temple
One pic at Guruvayoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks
@aargee - hope you loved the rains. I was in Kerala from 19th till yesterday. Only last two days I saw the sun.
But Kerala in Monsoons is to die for
Hmmm, not my cup of cake especially when it rains & I need to go out; I'd rather sit inside home with hot coffee & masala dosa

It wasn't raining much during my tenure except at Sabarimalai, where it was drizzling through out the day, but, that never kept us away.

Last edited by aargee : 2nd September 2010 at 15:45.
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:41   #126
Team-BHP Support

@Aargee something similar happened to me also at Vaikom temple me. Was waiting in the parking lot but could not see the deity. Kiddo was sleeping and wife decided to give it a try. She was gone for three quarters of an hour and then I saw her coming back and said she gave up. The queue was not moving and we had to cover all the way to a visit in Trichur and then reach Guruvayur.

Some how we could achieve that and what more we could also get a darshan the same day at GVR. A double whammy : Kiddo got to see the elephant sanctuary as well.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:50   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think its electrified all the way till TVM. (And I think its also double lined)
I Need to check once again.
It is electrified all the way until Trivandrum. But the stretch between Ernakulam & Kollam is still not fully doubled, though work is happening.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:11   #128
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 6 - Aug 26 continued

Our plan was to start by 4:00 AM in the morning & reach Angadipuram by 6:00 AM. Reason being was, starting early always gives plenty of room to drive relaxed, less traffic, less heat or rather enjoy cool drives. We started by sharp 4:00 AM; myself, cousin, Wifey, Mother & 2 devils. ODO clock 58071

Aunt had packed up idlies with chilli powder & coffee early in the morning to save time & money; we'd an idea to buy vada from any nearby hotels to spice up.

Roads from Wadakkanchery were good enough only for hardly 10 Kms after which the roads were bad. Since it was dark, we didn't take much pics, but I promise to show the road conditions in Pattambi in the return leg in this thread.

We reach Angadipuram temple around 6:45 & here's the arch that was taken quickly, so it comes in two pieces
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-939.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-940.jpg

First view of the temple. So beautiful isn't it?
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-942.jpg

We go to buy the wooden cradle for completing the ritual
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-944.jpg

This is the wooden cradle & it costs more than "little boy" & "fat man" put together . Just 100 bucks for nothing. I was stumbled at the price & couldn't speak for few seconds; Wifey, Mother & cousin were thinking I'm going to pounce on the shopkeeper. Though I wanted to, I didn't want one wrong word to be uttered to spoil the trip; I exchange it for Rs 100.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-945.jpg

I told right? Anywhere you go in KL, one can find a temple for Lord Shiva or Sri Krishna
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-947.jpg

Here're some signs when we walk towards the temple at the top
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-948.jpg

View of the road as we climb towards the temple
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-949.jpg

We spotted this canteen & thought we'd buy vadas when we come back
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-950.jpg

Some more sign board
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-951.jpg
Old 2nd September 2010, 23:30   #129
BHPian

@aargee. Nice travelogue and very nice discussion on the reasons behind observation of penance before going t Sabarimala. I feel all the reasons given by our friends here are hold good and valid. I would like to add another dimension to this, more on the spiritual lines. this is going to be a long post so people either bear or can simply skip this.

As many know and rightly said by you, people carry Irumudi on their heads as an offering to Ayyappa. As pointed out by you it means two knots. Now if we observe it from a purely spiritual angle the two knots can represent "Raga" and "Dvesha" i.e. "attachment" and "hate" or "dislike". Now isn't every misery as well as happiness attached to only these two things in our life.

Also the two coconuts that are carried inside the Irumudi may represent the same. And there is a wonderful explanation as to why only Ghee that is carried inside the coconuts and some other thing. We know that Ghee comes from milk but it is the process, when considered in spiritual means that gives significance for carrying ghee. First we warm the milk till a thin layer of fat (I don't get the exact word) is formed. This means that a person has to heat the "mana"(milk) through the burning desire for lord called bhakti.

But do we get ghee no. To this something has to be added. Curd. Now this curd is guru's upadeSa. You don't pour entire curd just a spoon. Just like that all one needs is a small upadeSa from guru. Now comes the important aspect. If you continuously shake the vessel of milk in which you have added curd, the milk will not turn into curd properly. Same way, once one receives upadeSa from guru one has to have faith and believe that that will lead to moksha. Only then you (Manaha or Manasu" will turn into curd.

Now into this curd you keep a whipper (I don't know the word. In telugu it is called "kavvamu") and with a rope called bhakti you keep on repeating the name of lord. Then you get butter. This butter is then to be heated with the fire of gnAna. Then you get the final product Ghee.

What does this mean? You got Ghee from milk, but can Ghee be turned into milk? So you remain in a state of eternal bliss. Now why to offer the ghee to the lord and throw the coconuts in the fire. the Ghee represents pure bhakti. The two coconuts, as said earlier represent "Raga" and "Dvesha". You throw these two into fire and the ghee called Bhakti that has touched them helps burns them.

And the 18 steps represent 18 things or that one has to overcome to attain "Moksha". I don't remember the 18 but they contain "arishaDvarga" and some others. One has to leave each such habit or thing every year and by the end of 18 years he would have won all these things. And so he becomes "guru Swamy". And so these steps are called "ashTadaSa sOpAnAlu".

And the penance and the rules followed are to gradually move oneself towards attaining these objectives. One thing is important. Our scriptures or purana's don't speak bad about sex. If that is the case there wouldn't have been an institution of marriage. It's only lack of control on one's desire's that is deplored. Hence the training to the "Manah" over those days. And onions and spices are said to increase the desires in man, more so things related to physical desires. Hence the abstinence.

And the most important aspect. Those who do penance may or may not be considered as ayyappa, but those do penance consider every one the Lord. It is to drive this point, one who does penance calls every one as Swamy. Now when you salute some one as swamy, you cannot have hate or dislike. When you don't have that you have no enemies, even if the other person considers you to be his/her enemy. When one doesn't have enemies, he/she is at peace. Gradually this stage is also overcome and he stands as an evidence or spectator to the play being done by the lord and revels in every aspect.

Now is it so easy as said? No.
But is it impossible? certainly not.

There are many more things but due to lack of time and stop being a preacher I am pausing here.

thanks again aargee for the wonderful travelogue and others for subsequent discussion. Couldn't hold back my thoughts.
All the best and peace be to all
vamsi.kona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 08:23   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I would like to add another dimension to this, more on the spiritual lines. this is going to be a long post so people either bear or can simply skip this.
What a neat little surprise in the morning?
I opened up this thread to see some critic or comment, but, what do I read? A whole lot of spirituality, especially on Friday morning. Loved it; really loved it.

I wish you write more. That was a great explanation on Ghee & burning down the Raga & Dvesha. Any idea behind why growing beard? Good learning for me. Trust me, I'm seriously giving a thought of observing penance going forward. If not 41/48 days, but atleast for a week or so to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
There are many more things but due to lack of time and stop being a preacher I am pausing here.
Well, I'm interested reading it. If you're willing to share (or preach in your terms), I'll be more than happy to learn & understand them.

Thanks a lot Vamsi

Last edited by aargee : 3rd September 2010 at 08:24.
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:20   #131
BHPian

@aargee. I was sharing my views (I used the term preach because, usually when person tries to tell something, the first thing that they hear is "Stop Preaching". So I used it myself without giving others a chance). I would share what I know or heard from elders and learned people.
vamsi.kona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:13   #132
BHPian

Aargee, may be this will be usefull as you have missed Mookambika in your vacation -> Mookambika
(Some times you might have seen this earlier..!!)

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:56   #133
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This is the wooden cradle & it costs more than "little boy" & "fat man" put together . Just 100 bucks for nothing. I was stumbled at the price & couldn't speak for few seconds; Wifey, Mother & cousin were thinking I'm going to pounce on the shopkeeper. Though I wanted to, I didn't want one wrong word to be uttered to spoil the trip; I exchange it for Rs 100.
Wait till your wife reads this comment about "little boy" & "fat man".
I know there's a phrase that "It costs a bomb". But this is a bit too much.

@vamsi.kona. You have pretty much summed up the Irumudi session there! I love hearing / reading this stuff again and again.
You can check the sabarimala official website for what the 18 steps represent.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:22   #134
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 6 - Aug 26 continued

We were just few steps towards the temple where one can find a board for convenience which I'll explain in next 2 shots
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-952.jpg

We've come up so much from the road
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-953.jpg

The notice board indicates the facility for toilets & cloak room towards the left side.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-954.jpg

Notice board on train timings. The top part is for trains from Nilambur to Shornur & the bottom is from Shornur to Nilambur. The three columns are from start time from Nilambur, time reaches at Angadipuram Railway station & time it reaches Shornur. Likewise the bottom part, but the source is Shornur, middle is Angadipuram & the target is Nilambur.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-966.jpg

A shot inside the temple premises
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-968.jpg

Typical KL greenery from the temple
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-974.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-975.jpg

Here's the list of trains plying between Shornur & Nilambur
Name:  TRNS.JPG
Views: 4936
Size:  73.8 KB

It was difficult getting the train schedule as these are passenger trains; however I managed to get it from Shoranur Nilambur Passenger/653SR Train Shoranur/SRR to Nilambur Road/NIL - India Rail Info - Database of Indian Railways Trains & Stations
Name:  SCH.JPG
Views: 6458
Size:  66.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK
Aargee, may be this will be usefull as you have missed Mookambika in your vacation
B.E.Autiful link. Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6
Wait till your wife reads this comment about "little boy" & "fat man"
Yeah, she knows; I told her while taking the steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6
@vamsi.kona. You have pretty much summed up the Irumudi session there! I love hearing / reading this stuff again and again
Strongly agreed.

Last edited by aargee : 3rd September 2010 at 19:26.
Old 4th September 2010, 07:28   #135
Senior - BHPian

Default Aug 26 - Day 6 continued

We left the temple by slightly after 8:00 AM. The route was Angadipuram-Pattambi-Koottanadu-Guruvayoor. We inquired about the road condition from Angadipuram-Pattambi to a driver standing next to us. He didn't know we came via Pattambi that morning & asked us to keep right at certain place. We left thanking him & we found the roads a great bliss & we cursed ourselves for not taking that route that morning.
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-983.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-984.jpg

But the happiness was short lived because the driver only pointed us a bye-pass through the town. So we were back to good old road
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-986.jpg

From here on, the pics are going to be enroute to Pattambi-Guruvayoor
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-988.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-990.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-991.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-992.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-993.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-997.jpg
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-994.jpg

Bharathapuzha
My trip to Sabarimalai and other temples in Kerala-sb1-1006.jpg

There're no pics from Guruvayoor due to the snake eyes of cops at the temple. So I'll just narrate one incident for which I've the pic too at the parking entrance of Guruvayoor.