Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th October 2010, 06:44   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
What brand & model of tyres did you get for the Civic. Let us see a snap or two of your steed's new rubber.
I have gone with good year again, and chose Excellence of the same size 195/65/15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Reading about the new shoes of KS and windowshopping for the same with Khoj and Anilisanil has me smitten now. And the 4th puncture on my current set has got me rankled enough.
I'm on the saving mode. Come december, I should have new rubber. Alloys a little later.
Waiting for photos of your civving around in new shoes and the famous ppgs.
Had got the shoes on Thursday. Saturday, drove to Valparai ghats to get some more pictures and to test the shoes.

A bit of info about the shoes.

Shoes are amazing.

My requirements with the shoes are simple. It must be safe, and it must take quite a lot of abuse as I tend to go the unknown tracks a lot. Earlier Goodyears had given me a comp;anion ship of 60K Kms, and I chose Good years again based on experience. All other dtas are subjhective to me.

Lets keep this thread without the shoe discussions. If you want to know more just drop me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Saar, I've waited more than month now, Vagamon log please. Would like to see what I missed out Tks.
Saar, sorry. Now you'll have to give me more time. I am travelling almost all weekends and that's the reason.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 23:30   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, with the new shoes for my Civvy, visited Vaalparai again last weekend, exactly two months from the previous visit. The drive was to Perumbaavoor for a private function and wanted to avoid NH47. Since I have not yet started the log for Vaalparai, I will add some pictures taken this time.

The continuation of the previous log will take a little more time.

A quick visit to Vaalparai again.

The visit was a very short one. Just two hours at Vaalparai, before I exited to Athirampally. Visited Nallamudi Pooncholai and Number Rock this time. No pictures from these places since it was raining and I did not click any pictures.

I found another route which bye passes the Sholayar Dam and reaches the Malakkapara Checkpost. Roads are very bad, not worth the trouble.

The salient feature this time is the unexpected encounter with the Lion Tailed Macaques near Rotikadai.

They were curious at my Civvy with her new shoes, and the PPGs

Some pictures from this unexpected encounter.

LTMs crossing the road near Rotikadai
Name:  _DSC3770RAW1.jpg
Views: 3622
Size:  271.3 KB

LTMs near Civvy
Name:  _DSC3774RAW1.jpg
Views: 3492
Size:  325.2 KB

This LTM likes Civvy
Name:  _DSC3791RAW1.jpg
Views: 3596
Size:  354.1 KB

He checks Civvy out
Name:  _DSC3792RAW1.jpg
Views: 5092
Size:  471.1 KB

Even the LTM sings praises about the Civic
Name:  _DSC3777RAW1.jpg
Views: 3685
Size:  398.0 KB

Some varied expressions of the LTMs
Name:  _DSC3778RAW1.jpg
Views: 3291
Size:  366.8 KB

Name:  _DSC3779RAW1.jpg
Views: 3002
Size:  382.3 KB

Name:  _DSC3780RAW1.jpg
Views: 2914
Size:  333.6 KB

Name:  _DSC3781RAW1.jpg
Views: 2963
Size:  315.8 KB

Name:  _DSC3782RAW1.jpg
Views: 4030
Size:  489.3 KB

Name:  _DSC3784RAW1.jpg
Views: 2791
Size:  385.6 KB

Name:  _DSC3785RAW1.jpg
Views: 3908
Size:  381.6 KB

Name:  _DSC3786RAW1.jpg
Views: 2839
Size:  414.7 KB

Name:  _DSC3788RAW1.jpg
Views: 2650
Size:  330.9 KB

Name:  _DSC3790RAW1.jpg
Views: 3281
Size:  305.9 KB

This trip was done on 23.10.2010 and 24.10.2010. Started from Bangalore by 09:00AM. Reached Vaalparai by 16:30PM.

It was 18degrees by 16:30PM at Vaalparai. ODO shows 508Km from Home.
Name:  _DSC3802RAW1.jpg
Views: 2693
Size:  170.7 KB

Exited Vaalparai through Malakkapara CP to Vaazhachal CP.

I reached the Malakkappara CP by 18:30PM. The last entry is at 18:00PM as per the boards written there. The Officer was the same guy whom I have met during my previous trip to Nelliyampathy. Knowing that I knew the roads and I was genuine, he let me go through with a strict warning that next time he wont let me pass after 18:00PM. After the checkings I started from Malakkapara CP by 18:40PM.

I exited at Vazhachaal CP at 19:55PM. The roads are bad, and rain water collected in the potholes are a disguise of the big craters. Nothing a serious driver can't negotiate, but can be avoided with a sedan for now.

I took the Vettilappara bridge and took the short cut to Perumbavoor, only to see the roads have deteriorated considerably. Hence joined back to the NH at Angamaly and reached Perumbavoor by 21:00PM.

Last edited by laluks : 25th October 2010 at 23:34.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:43   #198
Senior - BHPian

laluks, what is this bypass to Malakkiparai that you mention?

The Vettilapara bridge - is this the one which crosses the Chalakudy River downstream from Athirapalli? Can you go to Perumbavoor without touching Angamali? Via Malayatoor?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 10:13   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
laluks, what is this bypass to Malakkiparai that you mention?

The Vettilapara bridge - is this the one which crosses the Chalakudy River downstream from Athirapalli? Can you go to Perumbavoor without touching Angamali? Via Malayatoor?

Normally when one goes to Malakkaparai CP taking the turn from Rotikadai, you will pass through Sholayar Dam on the left side, and then reach the Malakaparai CP.

In case you have gone to see the places in valparai and you are farther away near places like Nallamudi Pooncholai or Number Rock, You need not come back to Rotikadai to take this turn to Malakkaparai. Instead there is a road which will go along the other shore of the Sholayar Dam, and reach the CP. Through this route you'll not see Sholayar Dam anytime. You'll directly exit at the last CP of TamilNadu. It is at this place the Sholayar route also merges.

Vettilappara bridge is the one which crosses Chalakkudi river some 10 kms from Athirampally. You can see a Theme park near the bridge. This route can take you to Perumbavoor via Malayattoor. But the roads are in shambles and narrow. If you do not have an orientation, the number of left and right turns would confuse you in the night. I was not happy with the condition of the road - so at a fork instead of going to Malayattoor, I took to the NH at Angamaly (5kms from that place) and continued further. According to the locals it saves 12Kms, and some time in peak traffic.

I'll put the GPS trail by evening for the orientation.

Last edited by laluks : 26th October 2010 at 10:22.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:41   #200
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

I think, through the plantation corporation, you can go to Malayattoor/Kalady/Manjapra bypassing Angamaly. If you need the exact details, I can get it from my brother.

Last edited by pjbiju : 26th October 2010 at 10:45.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 10:48   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I think, through the plantation corporation, you can go to Malayattoor/Kalady bypassing Angamaly. If you need the exact details, I can get it from my brother.
You are right. At Malayattoor fork since the roads were bad, I took to Angamaly. Yes, I forgot to mention about the Plantation Corporation CP a little after the Vettilappara bridge. And ofcourse the wonderful views of all those Oil palms there.

It'd be nice if you can put the details here for the others who plans such a route.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:50   #202
BHPian

Brilliant; and what shoes did you opt for your Civic , PP2 or any other. How did it perform in the trip? and How were the roads?
By the way u need to change your name to tripster from laluks
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 11:02   #203
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
You are right. At Malayattoor fork since the roads were bad, I took to Angamaly. Yes, I forgot to mention about the Plantation Corporation CP a little after the Vettilappara bridge. And ofcourse the wonderful views of all those Oil palms there.

It'd be nice if you can put the details here for the others who plans such a route.
Actually not many people go into the plantation corporation. Very few buses also ply on that route. It is mostly the people who work there that travel inside. As a kid, I used to spent at least a week of my summer holidays deep inside the plantation corporation since I had a relative staying in their staff quarters then.

I will try to get the details and post it here.

@Laluks - I enjoy reading every one of your travelogues. May you travel more and write more.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 11:08   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Brilliant; and what shoes did you opt for your Civic , PP2 or any other. How did it perform in the trip? and How were the roads?
By the way u need to change your name to tripster from laluks

Raj, I took Good Year again, since the earlier Good Year took to my abuse very well. I had been to almost all terrains and Good Year never failed me. It had held very well at quite high speeds, it had the braking required for my kind of driving, and finally I could take it to hard terrains without thinking too much.

So my requirements as put to the tyre shop was - need safety primarily and needs the one that can take a lot of abuse. Having experience with Good Years, I went to their Excellence Series. Still on the OE size 195/65/15. I am happy with the decision, though a lot of subjective matters are debatable.

Regarding the roads - Till Valparai from Bangalore is good. Valparai to Vazhachaal is bad right now. Can be avoided, but nothing undoable. NH47 from Avinashi to Cochin is best avoided now - diversions, traffic and potholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Actually not many people go into the plantation corporation. Very few buses also ply on that route. It is mostly the people who work there that travel inside. As a kid, I used to spent at least a week of my summer holidays deep inside the plantation corporation since I had a relative staying in their staff quarters then.

I will try to get the details and post it here.

@Laluks - I enjoy reading every one of your travelogues. May you travel more and write more.
Thanks Biju for the wishes.

Those areas are so nice. The huge Oil plams were a nice sight, and having them on both sides for a few kilometers made us feel we were elsewhere. the only thing that brought us to reality were the condition of the roads. It's a pity I took the route in the night. Need to go back there in the morning sometimes.

Last edited by laluks : 26th October 2010 at 11:16.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:23   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The salient feature this time is the unexpected encounter with the Lion Tailed Macaques near Rotikadai.
This part of the road runs close to the Puthuthottam estate which I had gone to view the LTM's during my visit to Valparai. Actually it's a pretty small area which these monkeys live on may be a couple of kms in length and breadth which is why its critical for their future, unfortunately the LTM's living in this patch have become so used to human beings that they are no more seen only on the trees.

Quote:
Normally when one goes to Malakkaparai CP taking the turn from Rotikadai, you will pass through Sholayar Dam on the left side, and then reach the Malakaparai CP.

In case you have gone to see the places in valparai and you are farther away near places like Nallamudi Pooncholai or Number Rock, You need not come back to Rotikadai to take this turn to Malakkaparai. Instead there is a road which will go along the other shore of the Sholayar Dam, and reach the CP. Through this route you'll not see Sholayar Dam anytime. You'll directly exit at the last CP of TamilNadu. It is at this place the Sholayar route also merges.
The route which one normally takes when coming from Malikappara is the road that goes on the left at the Tamil Nadu Forest Checkpost. This reaches the Rottikadai Jn. via Sholayar Dam, Manaboli Jn. Urulikal estate etc The one which you refer is the road which goes via Injiparai Estate, Stanmore Estate, Kurangu Mudi, and through Mudis Estates. This road actually starts from Valparai town. The road upto Kurungu Mudi from Valparai town is good after which it deteriorates, you basically go around the Sholayar Backwaters and reach the checkpost.

The signboard at the Forest CP will indicate the first road as "to Sholayar" while the route which you had referred is the one actually referred as the road "to Valparai" though everyone including the guard at the CP would advice you to take the road via Sholayar on account of the road conditions.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 17:24   #206
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent capture of the LTMs there KS. They are extremely shy creatures who keep away from humans. Surprisingly, they've stayed around so long for you to go on a shooting frenzy. You should try sending these pics to Nat Geo or something like that.
It's not that easy to shoot LTMs.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 20:17   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Excellent capture of the LTMs there KS. They are extremely shy creatures who keep away from humans. Surprisingly, they've stayed around so long for you to go on a shooting frenzy. You should try sending these pics to Nat Geo or something like that.
It's not that easy to shoot LTMs.
Those fellows seemed to be very happy with our presence. They were not at all agressive. I kind of liked their peaceful nature, and one guy in particular, the one in the video and the most photographs was very playful as well. He stayed very close to me while I took the pictures.
Old 27th October 2010, 07:50   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

The routes taken are as shown.

You can see the route which goes through the right shore of Sholayar reservoir. That's the one I have taken. Not recommemded, its very bad. Nothing undoable though for any car with a serious driver. The black route is the normal route with a turn from Rotikadai near valparai. Roads are better.
Civved : Parambikulam, Gavi, Vagamon via Thekkady & Valparai-fullscreen-capture-27102010-073652.jpg

The circle is where I took the route back to Ankamaly. If I had traced the blue route, with some 5 or 6 odd turns I would have reached Perumbavoor saving around 7km from there. But roads were narrow and potholed. So continued on to Ankamaly and on to Perumbavoor. Wanted to check the route through plantation corporation. Otherwise the normal NH route is advisable, better roads and no confusions about the turns.
Civved : Parambikulam, Gavi, Vagamon via Thekkady & Valparai-fullscreen-capture-27102010-073606.jpg

Visited Malayattoor church. Was a very pleasant experience, though the trying climb up the hill of nearly 2km took me 1.5 hours and left me breathless.
Old 27th October 2010, 09:16   #209
Senior - BHPian

The right bank route looks exciting, Lalu. Good discovery. What signages or landmarks should I be looking for at Rottikadai/Sholayar Dam? Is this road open access or restricted by CPs? I presume there must be a TN-KL border post also on this route?

I have crossed the Chalakudy River on boat in 2000 before the bridge was built. The Plantation Corporation had palm plantations in this area - are they still there?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:12   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The right bank route looks exciting, Lalu. Good discovery. What signages or landmarks should I be looking for at Rottikadai/Sholayar Dam? Is this road open access or restricted by CPs? I presume there must be a TN-KL border post also on this route?

I have crossed the Chalakudy River on boat in 2000 before the bridge was built. The Plantation Corporation had palm plantations in this area - are they still there?

From Rotikadai, instead of the right turn drive straight to Valparai town. Once inside the town keep driving straight till you find a left turn. A few 100 meteres you get the Mudis Junction. If you continue straight you'll reach Nirar Dam and Upper Nirar Weir / Chinna kallar Falls. At this junction take right. Nallamudi Pooncholai viewpoint and Number Rock are around 10+km from here. On the way to these viewpoints after about 5 to 6Km from Mudis road forks. Left goes to the view points and right is the road I took. There is a board which says Cochin this way. There is also a bus stop at this fork. On this route I guess there are three to 4 turns, not marked though, but a basic orientation of the direction with the help of a GPS or asking locals do the trick. Roads are bad and very very bad in certain sections. You'll never see the water body from the road, though you are very much driving near that.

There is TN CP at the end of this route. This is exactly where the Sholayar route also joins. I was allowed to exit from this route through the CP. But entry to this route at that time could be controlled. Did not ask them, as I was late and rushed to the Malakkaparai CP. This route is through some estates and manytimes I saw Private road - No throughfare boards, but the locals told me to take that route and continue without issues.

Civved : Parambikulam, Gavi, Vagamon via Thekkady & Valparai-map.jpg

Regarding the oil palms, they are very much there still. I saw very very big palms enroute.

Last edited by laluks : 27th October 2010 at 10:16.