Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 24th March 2011, 12:05   #301
BANNED

Default Re: Civved : Parambikulam, Gavi, Vagamon via Thekkady & Valparai

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Thanks gadadhar for the info. Now nothing of KTDC is left - atleast I did not see any.

I want to go to edamalayar side sometime. I have read some one being there. Is there any other route?
You can take the normal route from Kothamangalam through Boothatankettu and then Edamalayar..It used to be a good drive through narrow winding roads. There used to be a KSEB checkpost (or was it Forest, not surenow) close to Edamalayar where you need to stop for checking and logging some deatils. Malayatoor Tthundam road joins the same road after Boothatankettu. My info is pretty old, hope someone can give a recent update, Would love to try to take this route during the summer vacation if time permits..
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 12:47   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
You can take the normal route from Kothamangalam through Boothatankettu and then Edamalayar..It used to be a good drive through narrow winding roads. There used to be a KSEB checkpost (or was it Forest, not surenow) close to Edamalayar where you need to stop for checking and logging some deatils. Malayatoor Tthundam road joins the same road after Boothatankettu. My info is pretty old, hope someone can give a recent update, Would love to try to take this route during the summer vacation if time permits..
Sounds a very exciting route? Closed due to wildlife movements?
Dirt track in earlier days?
Needless to say, does not appear in any of the maps, roads are shown to end at Malayatoor.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 13:08   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Needless to say, does not appear in any of the maps, roads are shown to end at Malayatoor.
Sounds very exciting to me too. If you happen to do this summer please let us know. I was contemplating some drive, but seems have to wait.

Soccerfan must be having some info. Must check with him now
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 23:41   #304
BHPian

The road to Idamalayar is via Bhoothathankettu. Road is good and narrow. around 14-15 kms from bhoothathankettu. There is a checkpost before idamalayar and the road ends at idamalayar dam. the road to the power house was closed when i went 2 months back
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 06:52   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
The road to Idamalayar is via Bhoothathankettu. Road is good and narrow. around 14-15 kms from bhoothathankettu. There is a checkpost before idamalayar and the road ends at idamalayar dam. the road to the power house was closed when i went 2 months back
Thank you soccerfan.
I knew you would have the required information
Old 28th March 2011, 13:53   #306
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I think the closure is due to poaching and wild life presence. It is a proper tarred road, not sure why it is not figuring in mapps. There is a tank-bund stretch at Thundam (what we call Chappath in Malayalam), this will overflow during rains making the crossing difficult for vehicles. Ask for Malayattor --> Thundam road if you happen to check with local people

Last edited by gadadhar : 28th March 2011 at 13:56.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 17:20   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Parambikulam contact numbers

09447084310 - Forest Camp officer
09442201690 - Warden
04253245005/25

Thanks a lot fiery enzyme for providing these numbers.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:40   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Any recent updates at Parambikulam? I have been told that the bookings are now only taken for the tented accommodation and not for any of the other interesting options at Parambikulam.

The tramway trek is also not happening these days. Anybody have more information on the same?
Old 13th September 2012, 10:57   #309
BHPian

I have heard and also read that private vehicles are not allowed inside Parambikulam now. They are stopped at Sethumadai Check post itself. Seems the only option is to catch the daily Bus which runs from Pollachi to Parambikulam.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 10:59   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Visited Nallamudi Pooncholai and Number Rock this time. No pictures from these places since it was raining and I did not click any pictures.
Laluji - Need some info. Any approvals required for visiting Nallamudi Pooncholai & Number Parai. If so, where can we get it? Hope that since you went in a Civic without issues, my Santro would not find it difficult to reach these parts
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 11:47   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Laluji - Need some info. Any approvals required for visiting Nallamudi Pooncholai & Number Parai. If so, where can we get it? Hope that since you went in a Civic without issues, my Santro would not find it difficult to reach these parts
I just drove till there. No permissions were required for the drive. But since it was raining I did not walk up to the actual viewpoints. I have no clue if this last leg requires permission, but my feeling says no
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 23:20   #312
BHPian

Information filled log with beautiful photographs.
The Parambikkulam section was a mine of information for those who want to visit there.
The girls were wearing chappals during trekking in the wild, which is best avoidable for safety reasons, IMHO.
JohnnyBoss is offline   Reply With Quote