Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd September 2010, 15:08   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
You'll get all information here about accomodation and activities here. Official website of Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary, Kerala, India
Looked at this site just now. Very informative and very well done portal.
People should have the feeling that what they do is not just for money/salary.
There is should be some belonging to the overall scheme of things. It then pays rich dividends, in terms of the results manifested.

Waiting for more things to roll.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:22   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 02, 20.08.2010
Sethumadai - TopSlip

Sethumadai to Top Slip is 12Kms. We drove slowly enjoying the place and stopping by to enjoy the beautiful birds, since we were the first vehicle to pass.

Some pictures from the drive.

Some views of the roads to Top Slip.
Name:  DSC_1019_1.jpg
Views: 5351
Size:  399.4 KB

Name:  DSC_1029_30_31.jpg
Views: 5301
Size:  403.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0656.jpg
Views: 5233
Size:  366.0 KB

Some stream
Name:  IMG_0660.jpg
Views: 5161
Size:  305.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0660_1.jpg
Views: 5167
Size:  342.3 KB

Civvy resting while I go Shooting
Name:  DSC_1027.jpg
Views: 5125
Size:  344.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0658.jpg
Views: 4890
Size:  222.5 KB

Picture Perfect
Name:  IMG_0661_1.jpg
Views: 4954
Size:  443.0 KB

Cute Birdie
Name:  DSC_1009.jpg
Views: 4808
Size:  245.5 KB

Any one Knows its name?
Name:  DSC_1013.jpg
Views: 4763
Size:  312.4 KB

And this ones name?
Name:  DSC_1014.jpg
Views: 4774
Size:  196.3 KB

This one Whistles. Is this the Malabar Whistling Thrush?
Name:  DSC_1015.jpg
Views: 4780
Size:  176.2 KB

Some Bulbul
Name:  DSC_1016.jpg
Views: 4702
Size:  107.5 KB

A Jungle Fowl
Name:  DSC_1017.jpg
Views: 4723
Size:  287.8 KB

Green Birdie
Name:  DSC_1018.jpg
Views: 4810
Size:  365.6 KB

We took a cool 1 hour to drive this stretch, not because the roads were bad, but because of the birds. By 08:00 we were at Top Slip.

continued...
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

laluks i think you will be on your own ! i mean your own business ;-))

I wish if i too could get a long holiday break from office so that i can have such road trips ;-(

I ve been dreaming to goto Goa,Parambikulam,top slip,valparai and whole of kerela on a road trip.

And most important is Ladhak
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 00:28   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
laluks i think you will be on your own ! i mean your own business ;-))

I wish if i too could get a long holiday break from office so that i can have such road trips ;-(

I ve been dreaming to goto Goa,Parambikulam,top slip,valparai and whole of kerela on a road trip.

And most important is Ladhak
Thanks joshguy. I am still salaried
All you need is to dream - and you already have some. It'll happen for sure.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 01:18   #35
BHPian

Nice start, machu. Photos are looking good. One thing, pl. don't go overboard with the special effects, man. Your pictures are lovely as it is. Just my opinion, don't flame me, ok.
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 08:20   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Nice start, machu. Photos are looking good. One thing, pl. don't go overboard with the special effects, man. Your pictures are lovely as it is. Just my opinion, don't flame me, ok.
. Am breathing flame on you.
Old 4th September 2010, 09:19   #37
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Nice photos laluks. Birding is one of my favourite subjects. Shoot a bird then find more details about it.

I think the first bird photo is Blue cheeked bee eater. The bulbul is the Red vented bulbul.
The third one is a Dove i think red collared. Fourth one is the Malabar Whistling Thrush.

Prambikulam looks like a paradise for photographers.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 09:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

You drove for straight 7 hours continuously ? without a break ? that too whole night. ?.. you are setting examples to others

How is the road condition ?, it appears you clocked 62KMPH avg per hour, knowing your driving, it appears low.

It appears you used all your photography gears during this trip. Bird shots are good. were they hand held or using tripod ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Shoot a bird then find more details about it.
In earlier times, people used to go into forests to shoot the birds (& animals) with thier guns, the modern shooters use Nikkon, Canon, Fuji, Sony, etc etc, this itself a gaint transformation for human race.

itis better to find out more about birds shooting them alive than shooting them dead.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 4th September 2010 at 09:38.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 12:09   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Nice photos laluks. Birding is one of my favourite subjects. Shoot a bird then find more details about it.

I think the first bird photo is Blue cheeked bee eater. The bulbul is the Red vented bulbul.
The third one is a Dove i think red collared. Fourth one is the Malabar Whistling Thrush.

Prambikulam looks like a paradise for photographers.
I also have a liking to birding. But unfortunately I do not find my patience nor my gear enough for the topic. Still learning patience And also you need to be at the right places for the same.

Thanks for the names. The Whistling Thrush was available everywhere and mornings were so beautiful with it whistling that peculiar tune.

We are still at Top slip. Parambikulam is a real paradise for photographers, but if you are in search of Tigers - it is rarely spotted here and you have to consider yourself too lucky to be spotting one. Leopords are common.

I tried to photograph for quite some time, then I shut down the Camera and started to enjoy them with my eyes. I started enjoying them more that way. A camera - I wish captures emotions as well

You really need to be on a longer stay there to do birding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
You drove for straight 7 hours continuously ? without a break ? that too whole night. ?.. you are setting examples to others

How is the road condition ?, it appears you clocked 62KMPH avg per hour, knowing your driving, it appears low.

It appears you used all your photography gears during this trip. Bird shots are good. were they hand held or using tripod ?

In earlier times, people used to go into forests to shoot the birds (& animals) with thier guns, the modern shooters use Nikkon, Canon, Fuji, Sony, etc etc, this itself a gaint transformation for human race.

itis better to find out more about birds shooting them alive than shooting them dead.
Yes Star, I had a night out. I wanted to be at the Checkpost earlier to be the first vehicle to go inside to see the birds. The first bus crosses by at around 07:30, after that birds would have got scared and would have flown away from the trees near the road.

Roads are all good till Sethumadai Check Post. Infact I had covered the 375Km till the exit from Coimbatore L&T byepass in under 5 hours. The last 60Km was done in 2 hours, to space the arrival at the Checkpost just before its opening and also to fill up fuel. As you would have observed I am very slow on 2 lane roads, to be on the safer side. I even do not overtake unless quite clear on 2 lane roads.

All shots are handheld. Though I had tripod in the boot, my patience levels were not that high . I had promised my guide at Parambikulam that I'd return back only for photography, and he had in return promised to take me to the interior places where it'd be only us and photography.

Shooting birds this way and enjoying knowing about them is always better that shooting it down with guns.

Last edited by laluks : 4th September 2010 at 12:12.
Old 4th September 2010, 12:35   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 02, 20.08.2010
Top Slip

We reached Top Slip by 08:00AM.

A few meters before reaching this parking place you have another checkpost where you have to write your vehicle and passenger details in a register. The Parambikulam Check post office is also here. You need to enter the details there only if you are proceeding further.

From the Information Center at TopSlip I could infer that there is a Bus Safari and Elephant Safari.

Alternatively I heard you can also drive around Top Slip park in your car with a naturalist. Saw the conditions of the interior roads and I decided to take the bus. It is a doable road, I was tired after the night drive and did want some rest from driving, hence bus was a better option.

As inferred Top Slip has a Bungalow at the parking area, one some 4Kms inside, and some machans. I could gather that the accomodation has to be booked at the Wildlife Warden Office in Pollachi.

The parking area was neat. To the left you can see a beautiful Bungalow and to the right the Information Centre, small Museum and a Canteen.

This area is mostly a Teak Forest
Name:  DSC_1032.jpg
Views: 6834
Size:  386.6 KB

Teak Tree tops forming a nice panorama
Name:  DSC_1044.jpg
Views: 6511
Size:  183.3 KB

A society building next to the parking lot
Name:  DSC_1159.jpg
Views: 4548
Size:  154.4 KB

The parking lot. You can see the Information Centre, Museum and the Canteen ahead.
Name:  DSC_1098.jpg
Views: 4524
Size:  158.8 KB

The Bungalow near the parking lot.
Name:  DSC_1096.jpg
Views: 6449
Size:  265.2 KB

Name:  DSC_1102.jpg
Views: 5930
Size:  167.4 KB

A group of spotted deer suddenly arrived here for grazing.
Name:  DSC_1036.jpg
Views: 4466
Size:  107.3 KB

Some peacocks too.
Name:  DSC_1037.jpg
Views: 7154
Size:  310.4 KB

We loved the sight!
Name:  DSC_1034.jpg
Views: 4449
Size:  161.7 KB

Junior Power Puff Girl enjoying the scene taking a stroll around with her Jungle Guava.
Name:  DSC_1038_1.jpg
Views: 4494
Size:  215.9 KB

This Checkpost has to be crossed to move further on to places in Top Slip and also towards Parambikulam. Entry is restricted to only those vehicles with a stay booked. You need to show the slip that you get from the CP here. It is 2Km from here to Kerala border an 4KMs to the KFDC Glass house Reception area.
Name:  DSC_1100.jpg
Views: 4585
Size:  170.7 KB

continued...
Old 4th September 2010, 12:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Vow. Laluks and the group of fans (including me) are back. Next few days are going to be fun. Great going. As Nutty Nair said, please do not go overboard with special effects.
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 13:15   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Vow. Laluks and the group of fans (including me) are back. Next few days are going to be fun. Great going. As Nutty Nair said, please do not go overboard with special effects.
No special effects
Old 4th September 2010, 13:46   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 02, 20.08.2010
Top Slip - Kolli Kamuthi Elephant Camp

I went to the Information Centre and booked a bus ride, since we were the only guys there I took the entire bus since waiting for other travellors to turn up did not make much sense for the money saved. Time was precious for us and we decided to save that over the costs. Costed Rs 700/- for the full bus. The bus would take us to Kollikamuthi Elephant Camp some 15Kms inside the forest.

There is another Elephant Camp at Varagalliar, which is now not functional since all the elephants are brought to Kolli Kamuthi. Varagalliar is in the exreme core of the forest and access is impossible unless the big heads nod Ok for your visit.

Saw some hatch backs in the interior roads enroute Kolli Kamuthi, and the bus driver told me those are the guests staying in a Bungalow some 4Km inside the rerserve area. I was told this Bungalows don't have electricity and in the nights it is an experience.

The road to Kolli Kamuthi
Name:  DSC_1085.jpg
Views: 4529
Size:  319.3 KB

Name:  DSC_1086.jpg
Views: 4451
Size:  283.3 KB

Our Bus for the trip
Name:  DSC_1089.jpg
Views: 4439
Size:  260.3 KB

Junior PPG enjoyed all the stops
Name:  DSC_1091.jpg
Views: 4450
Size:  329.5 KB

We started seeing Elephants once we were near to the Camp. Who says elephants cannot climb steep slopes??
Name:  DSC_1047.jpg
Views: 4588
Size:  453.8 KB

Then we saw this fellow being fed.
Name:  DSC_1062.jpg
Views: 4370
Size:  378.3 KB

Name:  DSC_1063.jpg
Views: 4345
Size:  317.0 KB

Name:  DSC_1064.jpg
Views: 6879
Size:  406.8 KB

Very reluctant to take a bath
Name:  DSC_1076.jpg
Views: 4325
Size:  388.1 KB

Finally he decides to go like that without a bath to the forest
Name:  DSC_1070.jpg
Views: 5305
Size:  384.3 KB

The mahout follows him
Name:  DSC_1084.jpg
Views: 4299
Size:  468.1 KB

A kodak moment with him
Name:  DSC_1068.jpg
Views: 4272
Size:  346.9 KB

The stream where the elephants bath.
Name:  DSC_1082.jpg
Views: 4217
Size:  185.2 KB

Then I saw this beauty all gleaming after a nice bath.
Name:  DSC_1061.jpg
Views: 4339
Size:  363.4 KB

She reaches out for my Nikon. She might have thought it to be a small elephant with a small trunk!!
Name:  DSC_1060.jpg
Views: 4290
Size:  261.3 KB

I promise her a portrait, and make her famous on TBHP.
Name:  DSC_1059.jpg
Views: 4246
Size:  335.8 KB

She is Kalpana, adorable peaceful friendly creature. We loved her
Name:  DSC_1058_1.jpg
Views: 4225
Size:  410.0 KB

She liked our company and attention
Name:  DSC_1050.jpg
Views: 4390
Size:  467.9 KB

My girls loved her too.
Name:  DSC_1054.jpg
Views: 4251
Size:  317.4 KB

A kodak moment with Kalpana
Name:  DSC_1053.jpg
Views: 4212
Size:  329.7 KB

After an hour of friendly elephant interactions we reached back the parking lot by 10:00. Mahout of Kalpana promised the kids a ride on her by 11:00, so we waited there.

The bus driver made some arrangements of food from the canteen, and we had breakfast there. Good Dosas.

The person there scolded my Jr. PPG for not washing hands before eating. I was very happy to see that the people are so intimate and does not really have the pretension we guys from the cities have. Jr. PPG said sorry to him and washed up before food. Nice Dosas. I guess the canteen is only for the people there and not for visitors.

After breakfast we waited for kalpana to come. She had to walk all the 15 Km to the parking lot.

Even now no one turned up there, so it was a good decision to take the bus for ourselves and have done the trip.

continued...

Last edited by laluks : 4th September 2010 at 14:03.
Old 4th September 2010, 17:44   #44
BHPian

This is getting better and better. Your shot of the bungalow with the spotted deers in front made my dayas my dream is to live in such a place. And talking about elephants climbing slopes, do you know that there is a small type of elephant called as Pygmy elephant which is found at the top of Agastyarkoodam? But the more important point to be noted about elephants is that they come down these slopes real quick. They just plant their big behinds on the ground and slide down the slope. I know of some people who were mistaken thinking that the elephants were far away and the next thing they knew, they were in front of them. Quite a surprise it was for them!
PS: rated 5*
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 18:35   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
This is getting better and better. Your shot of the bungalow with the spotted deers in front made my dayas my dream is to live in such a place. And talking about elephants climbing slopes, do you know that there is a small type of elephant called as Pygmy elephant which is found at the top of Agastyarkoodam? But the more important point to be noted about elephants is that they come down these slopes real quick. They just plant their big behinds on the ground and slide down the slope. I know of some people who were mistaken thinking that the elephants were far away and the next thing they knew, they were in front of them. Quite a surprise it was for them!
PS: rated 5*
Thanks Ranjith.

The speed of these elephants have to be seen to be believed. We have a perception those fellows due to its size is sluggish, but actually it is quite fast if it decides. Also in Gavi, saw the rare sight of these fellows swimming to an island.