Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th September 2010, 17:48   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Could you please mention some top dedicated forums in pure photography?
OT: Came across this link when searching for options to play around in my P&S cam. Ajay and Rudraji, any other links from your side would definitely help.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 18:57   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
OT: Came across this link when searching for options to play around in my P&S cam. Ajay and Rudraji, any other links from your side would definitely help.
Abhinav

Be selective, spend time to study images, environment, settings, framing, processing etc. and look at only the best. One of the known Photographic Picture Gallery is www.pbase.com.

Have a look to start with. Alongside, you need to spend time in field to try it out. Only book knowledge does not capture decent frames. Wish you all the success and Enjoy.

Many regards, Ajay
Ajay Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 19:14   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Could you please mention some top dedicated forums in pure photography?

I complete agree with you that photography is a vast subject and it needs practice from our end. But when in doubt (not necessarily photos from this thread), it can be much easier for us to get our doubts cleared from maestros like you & Rudra.

Anyway, appreciate your efforts and thoughts.

Thanks.
Joy

Very sincere effort 'to seek' from your side is key to success....!
I just googled 'best photographic forums' and came across excellent sites with millions from all over the world. Some have even selected sections on potraits, landscapes, wildlife and so on.

Not only all your questions are already answered there but also the ones that you will come across later.

Jump into the pond and you will know how to swim... that's one of the best ways to get over the initial hesitation. I can only say that in the long run, your efforts will not let you down.

Many regards, Ajay
Old 13th September 2010, 19:32   #184
Joy
BHPian

@abhinav.s: Thanks for the link.

@Ajay Narayan: Thank you sir, for all the help and word of encouragement.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 20:51   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Narayan View Post
Abhinav

Be selective, spend time to study images, environment, settings, framing, processing etc. and look at only the best. One of the known Photographic Picture Gallery is www.pbase.com.

Have a look to start with. Alongside, you need to spend time in field to try it out. Only book knowledge does not capture decent frames. Wish you all the success and Enjoy.

Many regards, Ajay
Thanks Ajay. The part in bold is definitely true. The pointers and your words of encouragement surely help.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 22:18   #186
Team-BHP Support

Oh my god! So much of intellectual discussion here. Good, I didn't come in between. I prefer Ajay to handle all these.

Rumtse, a place roughly 90 km from Leh town on Leh-Manali road. I wanted to go there essentially because of rocks structure and colours.

Red and green. Ajay Narayan's shot with 1Ds Mark III.

Images from above 10000 feet.-red1.jpg

My take on one other area. Shot with 1Ds Mark II.

Images from above 10000 feet.-rum2.jpg

How abnormal rock colours can be. Ajay Narayan's shot with 1Ds Mark III.

Images from above 10000 feet.-red2.jpg

Patchy light often helps to get abnormal image. Shot with 1Ds Mark II.

Images from above 10000 feet.-rum3.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 22:22   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Rudra Da, those red green combo is amazing.
What could be the mineral which shines so red in those hills?
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 22:43   #188
Team-BHP Support

Lalu, frankly I've no clue. There are so many colours in that region that at times you feel you're somewhere out of this world.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 22:46   #189
Senior - BHPian

I hope our own Bellary Miners or their cousins from the same profession do not find this thread or understand which minerals provide that colour, else in few we years would get space to build not just a new common wealth games village, probably an olympic village or township.

What this thread has done is to link me back with my old colleague.
Ajay, it is a pleasure to get connected with you again, after so many years (6-7 years to be exact).
this forum will help us to stay connected.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 13th September 2010 at 23:05.
StarVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 00:28   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I hope our own Bellary Miners or their cousins from the same profession do not find this thread or understand which minerals provide that colour, else in few we years would get space to build not just a new common wealth games village, probably an olympic village or township.

What this thread has done is to link me back with my old colleague.
Ajay, it is a pleasure to get connected with you again, after so many years (6-7 years to be exact).
this forum will help us to stay connected.

BTW, in 2006, when me and Rudra crossed this area from Manali to Leh, it had rained so much that the whole road was flooded with flowing water and guess what colour ? This colour was all over....we do have shots of that scenario. This region can always spring a surprise. The natural diversity is amazing.

Yes it's been a long time since our last contact. Nice to get connected again.

Warm regards from Zurich. Ajay
Old 14th September 2010, 16:49   #191
Team-BHP Support

I have been silently watching this thread in the last 10 days, mainly because I have been continuously eating my words.

Ok, I was one of few who saw these photos on Rudra's huge monitor when they were still in raw format. Having seen his earlier work on Ladakh, I wasn't too impressed with this year's crop. He too agreed that weather had played spoilsport and they had shot very little this time.

Now, that was a big mistake from my side. I should have known better, especially because I am a little familiar with his process of creating a photograph. Now that I see what came out those unimpressive raw files, I am all the more stunned and embarrassed about having made that comment to him.

After having been on a few photography field trips along with Rudra in the last 5 years, I think I have an inkling of what separates Rudra from rest of us raw shooting amateurs.
  • Normal raw shooting amateur (RSA):
    1. Looks at the view, composes the frame in the mind or the viewfinder. If the frame is not good, he/she may move around for better composition, or just give up the shot.
    2. If the frame is good, he/she will choose the aperture/speed/iso and checks the view using DOF preview. If not happy, manipulates the S/A/ISO/EV settings or filters to bring it closer to desired value. If the light is not fixable, he/she may just give up the shot or still shoot hoping to fix it somehow in photoshop.
    3. Uses photoshop or other similar tool to develop the raw to his/her sense of taste. This may or may not look like the original scene or original thought in the photographer's mind.
  • Rudra's way of shooting:
    1. Looks at the view, composes the frame in the mind or the viewfinder. If the frame is not good, he may move around for better composition, or just give up the shot. (same as RSA here)
    2. If the frame looks good, he starts doing something else. He will start post-processing the view in his mind. He literally splits the various elements of the composition into various layers and applies various photoshop tools on them. Within seconds, he is able to visualize the end result of the mental PP. If he is not happy with that final result, he will give up the shot. Sometimes he is happy with the view, but not the lighting. If he thinks better light may prevail, he will sit and wait until that will happens.
    3. If he likes the final result, he will manipulate the camera to get the best tonal range to represent the final result he intends.
    4. Uses photoshop or aperture to develop the raw file. This is a very intensive process, often takes 2-10 hours on a single image. He breaks up the image into many layers, and then goes to work to replicate the exact mental PP he did just before shooting the photo. He ends up with the exact image he visualized. If he can't do that, he will discard the image.

Apart from the difference in process, there are some more things that separates him from rest of us. He is a professional, trained in visual communication (fine arts) and has 30+ years of experience in doing what he loves most.

Does he make mistakes in shooting? Yes, he is human after all. But he mostly won't bother to fix it using PP like most of us. There are lots of shots I have seen him shoot, but didn't see them developed because he was not happy with it. Thanks to his intense quality control at every stage, we never really get to see any less than pristine images from him.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 18:07   #192
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Does he make mistakes in shooting? Yes, he is human after all. But he mostly won't bother to fix it using PP like most of us. There are lots of shots I have seen him shoot, but didn't see them developed because he was not happy with it. Thanks to his intense quality control at every stage, we never really get to see any less than pristine images from him.
It is a lot of hard work coupled with an innate talent in that area. I remember photographers saying that if they could get one or two good shots (keepers) out of a 36 frame film roll, that is a good hit rate (on photo.net site). So Rudra can quickly point out what are the keepers and what must go. For most normal folks anything that is in focus are keepers.

So for those who lack the innate talent, more hardwork can be a substitute to a small extent. But no amount of hard work can substitute innate talent completely. Otherwise all of us would have been great musicians and singers and painters and dancers and F1 racers.

Last edited by pjbiju : 14th September 2010 at 18:11.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 11:50   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
How abnormal rock colours can be. Ajay Narayan's shot with 1Ds Mark III.

Attachment 423383
Wow amazing, this looks like painted hill, I would say better than painted hill. After seeing this pic, I am quite surprised why painted hill is famous and this is not.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 15:06   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rajesh
I guess you are Capt. Rajesh. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

I fully agree with your thoughts. Threads like this and many more on Ladakh in this forum has inspired other members towards Ladakh. That brings some relief (however little) to people living there. I am personally thankful to all these threads where so many members have taken pain and come forward to inspire others or just clear doubts by giving useful info.

But that's not only what you meant. Yes, both me and Rudra are aware of this fact. We are looking at the big picture as well. Infact, that's why I have been to this region 3 times and intend doing next year as well. Rudra has also taken out time from his so busy schedule to visit this region and now spending so much of his time to process the images and upload them here.

There is an active thought between us and before we both know for sure, it would be too early to mention it.
Yes Ajay,

Capt. Rajesh I am. Was a Short Service commissioned officer in Indian Army from 1988 to 1994.

I used to have bouts of wanderlust during my days of bachelorhood. Used to drive an RD 350 all around the country side. Sold it about 2 years back.

Kind of moved on from being a biker. I'm into music now but still get nostalgic meeting up guys like you.

My best wishes to both of you in all your endeavors.

Best regards

Rajesh
captrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 15:54   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Ajay, Rudra Da, Navin
Woah! Hold on! I did not even accompany Rudra-da and Ajay on this trip. I dont think my presence would have even been tolerated. I'd have only got in the way. I will never be able to shoot such pictures. I am old enough to know that. I dont dare even walk in their shadow much less claim to have taken any one of these wonderful pcitures. I hope I did not give that impression in any one of my earlier posts!

Besides I have a measly Canon 40D (APS-C) which I used in (horror of horrors) JPG mode to shoot my son and his friends and sometimes family and afterwards the kids, my wife, and myself enjoy these over pizza and coke on our PS3 and LCD TV.

Quote:
It is not a gift but an achievement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
what separates Rudra from rest of us raw shooting amateurs
[*]Looks at the view, composes the frame in the mind ...[*]..He will start post-processing the view in his mind. He literally splits the various elements of the composition into various layers and applies various photoshop tools on them. Within seconds, he is able to visualize the end result of the mental PP....[*]If he likes the final result, he will manipulate the camera to get the best tonal range to represent the final result he intends.[*]Uses photoshop or aperture to develop the raw file...He ends up with the exact image he visualized. If he can't do that, he will discard the image.
Ajay is this not a gift? I dont think i could focus my mind long enough to do this.

Quote:
Ajay Narayan's shot with 1Ds Mark III.

Attachment 422063
What sort of tower is that ?

Quote:
Ajay started taking shots from the point where snowline blends with Ladakh's trademark Burnt Sienna colour.
Attachment 422067
What comes to mind is an old Led Zepp song called Misty Mountain Hop

So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains where the spirits go now,
over the hills where the spirits fly; I really don't know.

- Led Zeppelin, "IV" (some say it's a reference to the place where Bilbo met Gollum).

Quote:
After all, we all are learning...
bus kiya!

Quote:
Gypsy at Panamik. Shot with 1Ds Mark II.
Attachment 421725

Surreal colours. Ajay Narayan with 1Ds Mark III.
Attachment 421730
With that "Yokohama" screen in the rear I guess the road behind you was not really all that important.

Many many years ago I lived for a few months in the mountains (not in India) and these pics remind me of the road I use to take home. The air was so rich in oxygen that running hard would give you a burning feeling the in lungs.

Last edited by navin : 15th September 2010 at 17:14.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote