Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th September 2010, 17:34   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Woah! Hold on! I did not even accompany Rudra-da and Ajay on this trip. I dont think my presence would have even been tolerated. I'd have only got in the way. I will never be able to shoot such pictures. I am old enough to know that. I dont dare even walk in their shadow much less claim to have taken any one of these wonderful pcitures. I hope I did not give that impression in any one of my earlier posts!

Besides I have a measly Canon 40D (APS-C) which I used in (horror of horrors) JPG mode to shoot my son and his friends and sometimes family and afterwards the kids, my wife, and myself enjoy these over pizza and coke on our PS3 and LCD TV.

Ajay is this not a gift? I dont think i could focus my mind long enough to do this.

What sort of tower is that ?

What comes to mind is an old Led Zepp song called Misty Mountain Hop

So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains where the spirits go now,
over the hills where the spirits fly; I really don't know.
- Led Zeppelin, "IV" (some say it's a reference to the place where Bilbo met Gollum).

bus kiya!

With that "Yokohama" screen in the rear I guess the road behind you was not really all that important.

Many many years ago I lived for a few months in the mountains (not in India) and these pics remind me of the road I use to take home. The air was so rich in oxygen that running hard would give you a burning feeling the in lungs.

Hi Navin

From 6 in morning to Midnight, every day, we talk only about Photography. Even the meals have less priority. And I am afraid that another person will find it difficult and might not even like it.

DSLRs have only come now. I think Canon 40D is 10MP Prosumer model and excellent equipment. Good lenses are very important. Pixel don't make so much of difference. Few years back, 8MP cameras were doing pro work. It's always the eye and mind behind it. Look at Masters and you will know what I mean.

Nurturing ones hobbies with passion during your early childhood makes a huge difference in later life. Some people take enough efforts and lots of pain to turn it into their profesion. A 30+yrs day night passion and hardwork does not go unnoticed. Call it gift or achievement....I leave it to you.

That tower is K-Top.

I am sincere when I say that we also are learning....believe me !

That's Yokohama Sticker on the Back glass of Gypsy.

Yes, the mountain air is always crisp and full of freshness. However, above 3000m a lung full of air is hard to come. What also is amazing in high mountain ranges is the clarity of horizon on a clear day when you can easily see even beyond 150kms.

Many regards. Ajay
Ajay Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 20:16   #197
Team-BHP Support

Between Ajay and me there are some more for sure but I need to see them through as final images. Apart from the fact that converting CMYK large files to RGB jpegs is extremely time consuming process.

We could not go to Pangong. We tried twice. Both the time we had to come back from Changla top. Weather didn’t change for hours. That, I suppose is the kind of luck we were carrying with us.
Shot with Canon S90.

Images from above 10000 feet.-changla.jpg

Spending some time at Rumtse was part of our agenda. We were happy at the end of the day. Rock colours are really abnormal here and so are their shapes.

Shot with 1Ds Mark II.

Images from above 10000 feet.-rub1.jpg

Images from above 10000 feet.-rub2.jpg

Images from above 10000 feet.-rub4.jpg

Images from above 10000 feet.-rub5.jpg

Images from above 10000 feet.-rum1.jpg

Ajay Narayan with 1Ds Mark III.

Images from above 10000 feet.-orange.jpg

It was 45 minutes old when shot. Ajay Narayan with 1Ds Mark III.

Images from above 10000 feet.-kid.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 20:33   #198
Senior - BHPian

Rudra, Two days I was off the internet, but couldn't stop thinking of the magic of your thread and what more must have been added, Before checking my mail logged on to T-BHP and went straight to your thread.....BEHOLD! As you are by now aware that most of us have ran out of vocabulary to praise yours and Ajay's works of art. I can't stop from scrolling up and down, this page to that and then back, my eyes feast and heart soars when on this beautiful travelogue since the day it started. Thank you,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 20:56   #199
Senior - BHPian

Rudra, I love those shots on page 10 particularly. And page 13. But to see the deep cobalt sky on page ten is worth the trouble and expense of the whole trip in my mind. Lovely, lovely shots.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 21:17   #200
Team-BHP Support

We hired a car for a day just to experience the luxury of been driven around. It was great. I could use that rear seat of Innova for my camera bag. Ajay likes to travel light. Most of the time his camera is behind front passenger’s seat with 24-105 mm lens. Driver of that Innova wanted to take us to his house. He already called his mother and told her about us. His mother was too keen to meet us too.
This is something I find fascinating here. What makes Ladakh is not only the topography but its people also. We’ve met so many people from different parts of this vast landscape. They’re wonderful. They’re open hearted.

Nomad lady at Rumtse. I couldn't get that baby's face as I was on a lower level. Shot with 1Ds Mark II.

Images from above 10000 feet.-nomadlady.jpg

Policeman from Upshi checkpost. Great guy with oozing energy and warmth from Uttranchal. Shot with 1Ds Mark II.

Images from above 10000 feet.-cop.jpg

Innova driver's children. At their home. Ajay Narayan with 1Ds Mark III.

Images from above 10000 feet.-bs.jpg

Their grandmother.. As she should be. Shot with 1Ds Mark II.

Images from above 10000 feet.-granny.jpg

That farewell smile. Honest, Open and straight from her heart.
Ajay Narayan with 1Ds Mark III.

Images from above 10000 feet.-granny2.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 22:05   #201
Team-BHP Support

We're now at the last stage of slapping pictures. Few more shots before I stop.
Himalayas as a place has lot to offer, only if we know what and how to take it from her.
Don’t go there expecting something.
You may get nothing or you may get more than what you had expected.

Shot with 1Ds mark II.

Images from above 10000 feet.-mulbek1.jpg

Beauty is unparalleled here and as they say, never changing but ever changing. Himalayas scale will say you’re small, really small. Respect that, because it’s true.

Shot with Canon S90.

Images from above 10000 feet.-blue.jpg

Shot with 1Ds mark II.

Images from above 10000 feet.-greenl1.jpg

Images from above 10000 feet.-bb.jpg

Shot with Canon S90.

Images from above 10000 feet.-tobl.jpg

Plan your trip well. Members like Tanvir and HV Kumar can help you a lot.
Don’t really worry about car size or ground clearance. We’ve seen Honda, Hyundai and Maruti of this world doing pretty ok.

And here is our latest homegrown product at Zojila Pass. So go ahead and take a plunge. Shot with Canon S90.

Images from above 10000 feet.-nano.jpg

We’re going to venture out next year again. We’ll spend more time in Himachal (Tanvir’s current thread) and then go to Ladakh.
Hope we’ll get Manali-Leh road open to drive up.
I really can’t wait to hear that Gypsy’s healthy engine growl.

Shot with Canon S90.

Images from above 10000 feet.-gypsy4.jpg

We have to do lot more than what we have now.
It’s a process of searching.
It’s a process of discovering.
It’s a process of knowing.
It cannot be stopped.

Thank you all for your encouragements. Thank you all for your support.
Two old men take this as their strength.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 22:24   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Rudra Da, Amazing journey you've both had.
Thanks for giving us a small perspective of you vast experience from the trip.

Wishing all your dreams to come true next year.

The second picture in the last post shot with S90 is very nice, especially to see that river in between. Beautiful colours.

Last edited by laluks : 15th September 2010 at 22:27.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 22:37   #203
Joy
BHPian

Excellent input Rudra da & Ajay Narayan.

Thank you for sharing some of your valuable pics and encouraging us to take the plunge. May God fulfill all your dreams.

Nice to see our own Nano up there in Zojila.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 22:48   #204
Senior - BHPian

Rudra, Thanks for all that you and Ajay have shared. It is indeed sad that this most beautiful travelogue has its curtains downed. Our praises and comments ....wish they could do justice in fractions to your achievements and what you have shared with the members here. Not only are you a master photographer but a man with a heart. Your photographs are not even watermarked, this I noticed much earlier and from me you gained further respect for your confidence in yourself. The watermark on your photographs was imprinted the moment you pressed the shutter release button. Your signature is there on every photograph shot by you and none can erase or emulate that. I truly am very grateful to you for showing us what beauty lies unseen, what our creator has given us and your humbleness is a lesson to learn, for me. Thank you for showing me that world which I have never seen and may never see, what I have seen through your eyes is always going to be a part of me always. Thank you, Fazal
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 22:49   #205
BHPian

Is it the end? Please, please...
Wish this thread would have been live for ever.
I was too busy in feast of eyes to type anything in. But this is an SOS call.

Rudra, Ajay: It has been fascinating trip which went through your eyes. Thank you.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 23:10   #206
Team-BHP Support

Its not photography... Its magic. I am at a loss of words!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 10:28   #207
BHPian

Oh Good god!! Is it really over????

No, no! please don't end this ! Its become a daily ritual to log in to T-BHP and go through your thread before even I open Outlook! Always felt the day will turn out to be wonderful after seeing those pics!! Wow man, mind blowing stuff.

We will miss you and your pictures!

Regards,
Anant
anantu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 11:58   #208
BHPian

No Words to describe the magic which I witnessed all through the thread.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 17:06   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Narayan View Post
DSLRs have only come now. I think Canon 40D is 10MP Prosumer model and excellent equipment.
I know I used film cameras before digital came. Currently my primary lens is a 17-55/2.8 IS (EF-S).

BTW do you find yourself clicking more photographs with the advent of digital than before (with film). I have. Partly becuase carrying around packs of 120 film with only 12 shots per pack meant that every shot had to count. Partly because instead of shooting industrial machinery and monuments I shoot my son and his friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Narayan View Post
DSLRs have only come now. I think Canon 40D is 10MP Prosumer model and excellent equipment. Call it gift or achievement....I leave it to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its not photography... Its magic.
We know tsk; Ajay is just as humble as Rudra-da.

Ajay, we have not met. However I spent an afternoon with Rudra-da and have talked to him a few times over the phone - whenever I have a photo related query. When we met I took my camera along for him to bless it. We dont suffix a "da" to Rudra's name just for the sake of it. We mean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Shot with Canon S90.
Attachment 424395

I can Rudra-da's mind now. It sees a barren landscape then a small hillock then realises that if the Gypsy is parked just "there" it's white body will add contrast to the brown-grey backgorund and at the same time it will look like the Gypsy has just entered the shot. And all this processing takes a fraction of a second. Scary na?

...and they say it is not a gift - Bah Humbug!

They'll sell me the Brooklyn Bridge next! These two old men will!

Aufweidersehn Ajay!

Last edited by navin : 16th September 2010 at 17:15. Reason: merged
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 20:27   #210
BHPian

@rudra

canon 1d rocks. loved your pics, do you have a gallery at flickr or picassa which i can view and share

amazing work
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote