Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th September 2010, 17:33   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As for us, its almost five, and for sure we will be crossing Rohtang in the dark...
What's with you and Rohtang man, you always seem to cross it in the DARK!

Great to see those glaciers reclaiming.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 22:15   #92
Senior - BHPian

What to say, TSK! Out of words!

5 star'd!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 22:19   #93
Joy
BHPian

@tsk1979: Can FZ-35 take raw? How do you think the overall quality of IA mode? How fast is the sensor?

Forgot to vote 5*. so voting it now. Excellent travelogue.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 22:38   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
@tsk1979: Can FZ-35 take raw?
Yes, it captures RAW files too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy
How do you think the overall quality of IA mode? How fast is the sensor?
Are these very important really? It's a fantastic machine according to lot of reviews and you can see the results here as proof.

Go ahead.. get yourself one. Trust me, you won't regret.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 22:54   #95
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Are these very important really? It's a fantastic machine according to lot of reviews and you can see the results here as proof.

Go ahead.. get yourself one. Trust me, you won't regret.
I have seen the review at dpreview. But a first hand experience counts. I won't be using IA mode but my family will that's why I am asking? Can you please tell me how well it performs under low light?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th September 2010, 23:11   #96
Team-BHP Support

Joy, it shoots raw, and even iA mode is good. Low light capability is same as all small sensor P&S. Only LX5 and LX3 kind of large sensor compacts have good high iso capability. For FZ35 like cams, ISO 320 is the max I would use.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 23:34   #97
Joy
BHPian

@tsk1979: Thanks for the info. Presently, I own a panny TZ-15 (tz-5) which offers very little in terms of creativity. I am contemplating a upgrade and I want to make an informed decision before upgrade. I know in dslr's, the lenses and sensor's matter but at present I am in dilemma, since you are using both I just want to ask you which would be a logical update without breaking one's bank.

Quote:
J
For FZ35 like cams, ISO 320 is the max I would use.
That's the perfect info. DPreview informs that upto ISO 800 is also usable for smaller prints like 8x10. Want to hear it from you?

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:22   #98
Team-BHP Support

Yes, for small prints ISO 800 will do, but still its grainy, as will any small cam. ISO 400 is the max you should push, thats the max I normally push to!
Old 16th September 2010, 17:21   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no mobile connectivity after gramphoo. Only at kaza bsnl starts working, and ditto for gramphoo. I am not sure if airtel works in kaza, maybe it does.
However, why not carry stored maps, or does iphone constantly need to download maps for use with GPS?
This pass is much much more deserted than the Rohtang pass, which is like a circus 24x7 with half the vehicles crawling, and other half stuck.
yes, iPhone constantly needs to download maps for GPS and showing the routes.

Then I guess, iPhone will not suffice and would need a different GPS device.

Kumzum pass is the one to go, if its not that crowded. But it seems one needs to go via Rohtang to this place.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 18:14   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
I am contemplating a upgrade and I want to make an informed decision before upgrade. I know in dslr's, the lenses and sensor's matter but at present I am in dilemma, since you are using both I just want to ask you which would be a logical update without breaking one's bank.
That is the precise question that I am trying to find an answer also!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 20:47   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am used to using Aperture priority, I normally steer clear of auto modes. However, the IA mode works good, and I did take some test shots, when I bought the camera, which I deleted.
Mind sharing the Aperture prio settings .. i am little lazy to look up on google

BTW, excellent travelogue.. rating 5*'s..

Enjoying every-bit of it
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 23:01   #102
Team-BHP Support

TSK - A very noob kind of question. Great travelogues you have been writing. Id love to visit this region in the near future. But there is one thing that has been bugging me ever since I read that first travelogue of yours.

Is there any map which will show me where all the cities/villages/places are in respect to all the other cities/villages/places. I have so many names in my head but for the life of me cant understand for eg. where hanle is with regards to leh, or where any of the passes are with regards to each other.

I want a nice map to see which place is North/South/East/West of which place just to help me understand the region.

Any suggestions?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 23:12   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
yes, iPhone constantly needs to download maps for GPS and showing the routes.

Then I guess, iPhone will not suffice and would need a different GPS device.

Kumzum pass is the one to go, if its not that crowded. But it seems one needs to go via Rohtang to this place.
Actually, I have seen a video where a person has shown iphone using a stored map. He turned of wifi and took out sim card, even then GPS was working, and map was also working. So there is a way. Just search on google
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is the precise question that I am trying to find an answer also!
I hope I have answered your question. FZ35 will do almost everything a DSLR will do. It cannot do good ISO 400+ and it cannot do very long exposures(longer than 60 seconds)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Mind sharing the Aperture prio settings .. i am little lazy to look up on google

BTW, excellent travelogue.. rating 5*'s..

Enjoying every-bit of it
I use F4.0-F5
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
TSK - A very noob kind of question. Great travelogues you have been writing. Id love to visit this region in the near future. But there is one thing that has been bugging me ever since I read that first travelogue of yours.

Is there any map which will show me where all the cities/villages/places are in respect to all the other cities/villages/places. I have so many names in my head but for the life of me cant understand for eg. where hanle is with regards to leh, or where any of the passes are with regards to each other.

I want a nice map to see which place is North/South/East/West of which place just to help me understand the region.

Any suggestions?
Well openstreetmap is the answer. Ladakh and spiti are mapped. I am going to map koumic one of these days
Harsh Vardhan made an excellent map too. I also made a map accurate to scale and posted in my this year leh thread. It has all places marked, and is to scale.
Old 16th September 2010, 23:20   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Well openstreetmap is the answer. Ladakh and spiti are mapped. I am going to map koumic one of these days
Harsh Vardhan made an excellent map too. I also made a map accurate to scale and posted in my this year leh thread. It has all places marked, and is to scale.
I dont need road maps, just even a normal map showing the placements of the difference villages and passes and lakes.

Im gonna take a look but if possible please to post a link to the above maps you have mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 23:53   #105
BHPian

Thumbs up

Beautiful pictures and a very well written travelogue.

Have become a fan of you sir

Cheers!!
anshul_babbar is offline   Reply With Quote