Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th September 2010, 17:21   #1
BHPian

Default Roadtrip to Mangalore with my "new" car and a first trip

This is my first travelogue that I am penning down although I have done many trips like this before and most of them on my motorcycle.

I purchased a used M800 in Feb 2010 for a lowly lakh (2003, 37K kms done) and was used mostly for in city drives and was also used to fill up some parking space while I travelled abroad for 3 months. So when I got back, I told my wife that we absolutely need to get out and do some travelling & she needs to take some leave from her office. This was our first real travel together since we got married 1.5 years ago & since we don't stay together (we live in difference cities due to work locations).

I was looking forward for this trip since I hadn't travelled for pleasure in a car for over a year. So this was a perfect opportunity to cover some miles. We picked out Mangalore since she hadn't been there before. I have travelled to Mangalore more than 30-40 times before (bus+car+motorcycle) so I knew a few places to take her to. She had wanted to visit the Udipi Sri Krishna temple for a long time and this was my opportunity to take her there.

Route taken Bangalore > Magadi > Hassan > Belur > Makonahalli > Mudigere > Kottigere > Javalli > Marasannige > Kudremukh > Karkala > Moodibidri > Mangalore. We travelled through some lovely country-roads and hugged by plantations and estates all the way from Belur to Mudigere. The roads were beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed the drive. Took the same route back to Bangalore as I was not done with Kudremukh yet.. I just love the Kudremukh Ghats and I take every opportunity to pass through that area everytime I go to Mangalore even though it is about 150 kms longer than the regular route through Sakleshpur/Shirali Ghats.

Some pictures are attached. All pictures take by wifey on a FujuFilm Finepix JZ300.

Inviting Roads
Name:  DSCF0117.JPG
Views: 1563
Size:  161.3 KB

Clouds hugging the Mountains - Kudremukh Ghats
Name:  DSCF0132.JPG
Views: 1498
Size:  120.2 KB
Name:  DSCF0134.JPG
Views: 1470
Size:  123.2 KB
Name:  DSCF0135.JPG
Views: 1487
Size:  122.2 KB

Water streaming down the mountain side
Name:  DSCF0136.JPG
Views: 1594
Size:  138.7 KB

Tea Estates on the Mountain sides
Name:  DSCF0145.JPG
Views: 1463
Size:  157.9 KB

Winding Roads
Name:  DSCF0149.JPG
Views: 1407
Size:  165.6 KB

Layers of Mountains
Name:  DSCF0154.JPG
Views: 1391
Size:  119.7 KB

She managed to pick this weird shaped twig jutting out from the side
Name:  DSCF0176.JPG
Views: 1433
Size:  148.2 KB

Misty Roads - Low visibility
Name:  DSCF0181.JPG
Views: 1435
Size:  153.5 KB

One for the 4-wheeled lady to have taken us through the lovely ghats
Name:  Picture 008.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  146.9 KB

Cheers!

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 6th September 2010 at 17:26.
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 20:27   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sounds promising Prajwal. Nice to see those great places again. I wish you and your wife many more such travelogues!
Waiting to see Kudremukha unfold.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 22:44   #3
BHPian

Default Video capture of the motorcycle trip

Here's a video clipping of an earlier Mangalore trip on my motorcycle. This was in April 2009. The clarity is not the best, but I hope you enjoy watching this video.

Comments are welcome!

Cheers!

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 6th September 2010 at 22:46.
Old 6th September 2010, 22:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

When was this trip Prajwal ?
roads look to be in great shape ?
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 22:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
When was this trip Prajwal ?
roads look to be in great shape ?
The car trip was in August 2010 and the motorcycle trip in the video was in April 2009. In between I made 2 more trips on my motorcycle just to soak in the Kudremukh environs.

The roads have been consistently good through the ghats and makes every trip more and more enjoyable. Gate to gate takes exactly 1 hour to drive through and is about 35 - 40 kms. Beyond the gate are the ghats to Karkala and then to Moodibidri which are also equally good.

Prajwal
Old 7th September 2010, 07:45   #6
BHPian

Wow the twistees in the video look very inviting to drive . I think you could have left the BG music out, its sweet music to hear the bike exhaust rolling on the twistees...

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 7th September 2010 at 07:46.
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 07:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Wow the twistees in the video look very inviting to drive . I think you could have left the BG music out, its sweet music to hear the bike exhaust rolling on the twistees...
I ride a unicorn and the sound of the exhaust is not audible at all. The wind noise is higher since the cam was mounted in the front and the mic faces the wind.

The twisties is awesome and I love to ride through the excellent ghats environs.

Prajwal
Old 7th September 2010, 10:32   #8
BHPian

Dear Prajwal,

Congratulations on your first road trip with the wife. Some very lovely pics must say she has it in her-photography. I have been on numerous trips with my wife but never recorded them but after joining BHP I intend doing so. I wish many happy ones in the near future as this will get you and your wife to spen quality time with each other.
Judemayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 10:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice Nice guess will never get bored of the hills and the clouds good to know that you had fun!

btw the video reminds me of a old vicde which was shot while riding to Gokarna
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 11:04   #10
BHPian

Nice pictures mate. Mangalore and Udupi has been on my list for a long time. But everytime, i make up my mind, i hear the roads are horrible. Will be glued to this one though. May be this will change my mind!
Lightening-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 11:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Nice pictures mate. Mangalore and Udupi has been on my list for a long time. But everytime, i make up my mind, i hear the roads are horrible. Will be glued to this one though. May be this will change my mind!
@LighteningFast: Its true that the highways are not in the best shape. But I diverted from Hassan to Belur, and there also I did not go on the highways to Mudigere, I went instead through some country roads, coffee estates and then reached Mudigere. the country roads were in very good shape throughout. That is the best way to go to Kudremukh. Beyond that, the roads to Karkala and then to Mangalore are also very good except for a small patch of about 20kms between Javalli and Kalasa.

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 7th September 2010 at 11:34.
Old 7th September 2010, 11:40   #12
BHPian

I have been doing this route all my life..
This route has so much to offer.. Ghats, waterstreams, falls etc..

Do check my recent trip by train from mangalore to bangalore.
[FONT=&quot]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...akleshpur.html[/FONT]
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote