Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th September 2010, 21:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful shots. You've a good eye for composition. Always wanted to visit Dhanushkodi but it never materialized.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 23:55   #17
BHPian

Excellent pictures.

The Madurai Meenakshi temple Gouprams were covered for renovation/repainting when i last visited long time back. It looks majestic true to the name "RAJAGOPURAM".

Also, when I last visited, photography was strictly prohibited inside the main temples, but you have managed to click pics there. Nice to see.

Thanks for Sharing
arunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 09:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed description of the drive and the well-composed photographs.
When do the 4x4 jeeps start from Dhanushkodi from Rameswaram?
Are there petrol pumps and other facilities on the ECR between Ramanathapuram and Tuticorin?
Any difficulties in bypassing Tuticorin (One of our friends got lost, having to enter the city and so on)?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 10:36   #19
Team-BHP Support

HVK, I think they are private jeeps. You can get them on hire any time of the day. Even I hired them once.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 11:08   #20
BHPian

I had been to Rameswaram and Dhanushkodi recently. The distance between Rameswaram town to Dhanushkodi is 16 kms of which 8 kms is a good black topped road. Beyond that it is 4x4 territory . It is a must visit for any off roading enthusiast.

There are vehicles (jeeps , modified mahindra vans, etc) available for hire to do this stretch. We had hired a modified Mahindra van. The route is along the coast with sea on either side through sand and marsh lands. The drivers vary the route according to tidal flow.

At the tip of the island you can see the Indian ocean on one side with big waves hitting the shore and the Bay of Bengal on the other side as calm as a lake.

I will post a few pics of the road (?) later
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 11:49   #21
BHPian

sreehari, I hope you won't mind me posting a few photos in this thread

Name:  IMG_3117 Medium.JPG
Views: 1217
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3118 Medium.JPG
Views: 1212
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3124 Medium.JPG
Views: 1197
Size:  44.0 KB

The end
Name:  IMG_3125 Medium.JPG
Views: 1206
Size:  51.4 KB

Indian ocean with waves and the calm Bay of Bengal
Name:  IMG_3130 Medium.JPG
Views: 1205
Size:  44.1 KB
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 21:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
Excellent pictures.

The Madurai Meenakshi temple Gouprams were covered for renovation/repainting when i last visited long time back. It looks majestic true to the name "RAJAGOPURAM".

Also, when I last visited, photography was strictly prohibited inside the main temples, but you have managed to click pics there. Nice to see.

Thanks for Sharing

The Rajagopuram was majestic indeed.
And regarding photography it was a headache.I was almost asked to strip at the security.They did almost 15-20 min of checking of my various lenses,camera etc(I guess they were not very used to people with multiple lenses like 70-200 f/2.8 big ones ).Then they were asking for my identity card & all.However i was able to convince them about my intentions & hence was allowed inside the main complex.Despite the fact that i had to spent a lot of time at the security,i was very happy the way he carried out the checking i was very happy of the fact he made sure that no unwanted thing went inside the complex.After a long time saw some one who was bothered about our historical places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thanks for the detailed description of the drive and the well-composed photographs.
When do the 4x4 jeeps start from Dhanushkodi from Rameswaram?
Are there petrol pumps and other facilities on the ECR between Ramanathapuram and Tuticorin?
Any difficulties in bypassing Tuticorin (One of our friends got lost, having to enter the city and so on)?
Actually the 4x4 can be booked from the hotels in rameswaram,we did that.Time actually is depended on when you want to go there.If u want to capture sun rise its always good to start from rameswaram by 5:00.it almost takes 45 min to reach dhanushkodi.
However sunrise is not that good at dhanushkodi at least nothing compared to what you can see at kanyakumari.
Also you can drive down till the point were the sand starts & then can get into some modified vans there which serves a a local bus there.I guess this can be very cheap but the problem is untill the vehicle is full they don't start & in the morning that could be a major issue & you would end up wasting a lot of time waiting.
On ECR there are not many petrol pumps or other facilities.One of the major pblm we faced was to spot good restaurants.Actually we could not spot any and had to eat the watermelons that we had stocked from bangalore.
We refilled our vehicle only at tuticorin.

Bypassing Tuticorin was not that difficult,but yes we did stop & ask to some locals,but apart from that there was no major issues.

Last edited by shreehari : 18th September 2010 at 21:56.
shreehari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 08:46   #23
Team-BHP Support

You can even snorkel at Dhanushkodi it seems. Has any one tried?
Alas I have no snaps of the place. My camera got stolen on way and hence was left with my own eyes!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 09:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

shreehari please put up the pics of your ride.by the way how long is this trip? should be around 2k for the total trip i guess

didnt you get tired in such a long trip?
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 17:04   #25
BHPian

Default Re: Trip to the ever enchanting Tamilnadu.

Can any one of our friends give me an idea of itenery to cover the major temples and tourist places in tamilnadu,kerala and Karnataka
Happy to inform that the trip is not time bound
But i wish to know the latest best routes
The trip will start at Sabarimalai and can be ended either at Hyderabad or Bangalore
The mode of travel is on Swift Dzire VDi
crazydrives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 21:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrives View Post
Can any one of our friends give me an idea of itenery to cover the major temples and tourist places in tamilnadu,kerala and Karnataka
Happy to inform that the trip is not time bound
But i wish to know the latest best routes
The trip will start at Sabarimalai and can be ended either at Hyderabad or Bangalore
The mode of travel is on Swift Dzire VDi
Would be better if you can be more specific on what is that you want to cover.I mean all these three states have so much to see that you can take months together.and also if you can select few places then it would help others also to suggest you a proper itinerary.
shreehari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:44   #27
BHPian

Actually my Uncle wants to go on this trip. His main concern is to cover the major temples in tamilnadu, Karnataka and if possible Kerala. It may go up to 20 days.
Old 27th April 2011, 13:15   #28
BHPian

This might give you an idea.
Tamilnadu Travel Map, Tamilnadu Tourist Map

Partial list of temple towns in TN that I can recollect quickly are

Kanchipuram
Tiruverkadu
Tiruvannamalai
Tiruthani
Swamimalai
Marudamalai
Trichy
Srirangam
Samayapuram
Chidambaram
Tirunallar
Tanjore
Kumbakonam
Pillayarpatti
Madurai
Rameswaram
Pazhani
Thiruparangunram
Srivilliputhur
Tiruchendur
Tirunelveli
Tenkasi
Suchindram
Kanyakumari

I am sure there are a lot more than I have listed here..
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 12:27   #29
BHPian

Is this a random list or is it listed according to the route map to reach one after the other?

Actually i've prepared a list of places to be covered as per the route to avoid double tracing. Suggest me the necessary modifications:

Rameswaram-Dhanuskodi,ramanthapur (the palces to be covered near by)
Madhurai-thiruparankundram,srivilliputhur,pazhamudircholai
Tiruchendur
Kanyakumari-Suchindram
Thiruvananthapuram
Chottanikkara-Ernakulam
Kalady
kodungallur
Thrissur
Guruvayur
Palani-Kodaikanal
Thiruchirapalli
Tanjavur
Kumbhakonam-Navagraha sthalas
Swamimalai
Mailaduthurai
Chidambaram-Pitchavaram
Pondicherry
Thiruvannamalai-Vellore
Kanchipuram-Sriperumbudur
Chennai
Thiruthani
Old 28th April 2011, 15:13   #30
BHPian

The list was from north to south of tamil nadu deviating in the middle towards east and west where needed, but i didn't put much thought on the actual route.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote