Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th June 2013, 13:33   #106
Default Re: Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!

Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Thanks sridhar.
Is it possible to see those falls from bottom side? I could not find any reference or photos which can tell that.
And I was just googling about Gokak and found that there is one more falls nearby named Godachinmalki falls.

Link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godchinamalaki_Falls

It seems a search on Tbhp is showing no results. Nobody visited?
When we went to Gokak we did not have time to eplore. But I am quite certain there will be at least a walkable path, as I dis see some locals on the baseside opposite to the factoy. So check out with the locals.
In monsoon it will be a great experience to be near the thunder.!!
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 07:00   #107
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Recce into Maharashtra in Swift D!!!

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
As per some of my friends, Kolhapuri chappals are not made in Kolhapur.
That is correct. These chappals are made in towns like Sankeshwar, Athani & near by places. There is one village which also specializes in this.

The reason that the name came to be Kolhapuri is more to do with the towns being a part of kingdom of the Maharaja of Kolhapur.

For those who want to purchase at Sankeshwar, you would need to go into Sankeshwar town. There are a couple of shops near the BP bunk there. Else, there is one shop in front of Anand Bhavan on the highway towards Belgaum. This is a regular stop for the long distance buses & trucks.

The Kolhapuri's that we normally see are delicate compared to the traditional chappals that the people in the are use. Those ones can have about 2 cm thick soles, and built so well that they easily weather the abuse of use in farms & wearing in rural areas. I have often got mine stitched from places like Gokak, though my recent purchase was from Sankeshwar. The ones that I use are not these type, but are stronger the Kolhapuri's that we normally see.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote