Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th September 2010, 08:37   #16
BHPian

did you get to cover jog falls in shimoga??? post some pics if you have some
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 23:10   #17
BHPian

ampere : This was my first solo trip and I am not comfortable driving alone either - it's so easy get lost in your own thoughts when driving alone. But as much as I like to be with people, my love for people comes a little behind my love for travel

@MohsinRoadster : No Sir, didn't get to cover Jog. But will cross it out of the list soon.

Folks : Questions still unanswered; help enlighten me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@AG only question after your so called "ramblings", which by the way was very nice!

I am some how not comfortable with a solo travel. You need at least one more for company. I agree you can stop anywhere and take snaps, but you still one more to talk to. Else I feel like a castaway talking to Mr Wilson!

How you manage that?
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 00:36   #18
BHPian

Default Answers!

AG,

Great drive again.

Solo drive: I used to do solo drives a few years back. But that used to be when i didnt find my best travel partners, free, for the drives. I have done Gundia drives, Bababudangiri drive, Sringeri, solo.
I also think, sometimes, u gotta get yourself some time, for self-inspection. And a great way to get the "real" getaway feel. I havent got such oppurtunities after my wedding

GowriKere - Is this the place after Nittur, where you drive towards Kodachadri peak. If yes, i have done this route, all the way till the top of kodachadri. I did not drive, but was in the left seat of a Mahindra Major, from Kollur. The drive was 1.5 Hours till the temple, on a rainy September day! The drive was one memorable experience. The sheer ability of the Mahindras are to be seen here. I want to know, how The Off-roading experts rate the kodachadri route.
I have climbed Kodachadri twice. First time, was through Mookambika Wildlife Sanctuary gate, which is close to Kollur town. Via ArishinaGundi falls.
And the 2nd time, via Karaghatta Gate & santhosh hotel route.

Sagara Accomodation : VARADHASHREE. Pretty nice for a town like Sagar.

Safety on Shimogga-Theerthalli Route: This route goes through Shettihalli Reserve forest and is pretty lonely, if you ask me. Apart from driving this route towards Vihangama and Agumbe, I had driven once, at 1 AM in the night, while driving to Sagara. Reason for the detour being, a fallen tree on the Shimogga - Sagar NH. So, i had to take the left at the fork and drive till Roppinpet and take a sharp right turn to get back towards Sagara. I dont think it is dangerous to drive Alone. But if at all there is a tyre flat or anything abnormal about the car you are driving, your heart would beat more than it would have, if you had company

Kollur and KL vehicles :
ShankaraCharya meditated at Kodachadri hills and a Devi appeared infront of him. She offered him the Lingam which he requested for, to install at a place in Kerala, for him to worship it. She offers him the lingam with a condition that he shouldnt turn back until he reaches the destination. When he did not hear the Devi's foot steps behind him, he looked back and thus He had to install the lingam at Kollur. And this could be the reason for Kollur to attract more Keralites than Karnataka folks.

And there is a fleet of 150 Mahindra jeeps in the town of Kollur. The tariff/cost of jeep rides is consistent across these guys. And ofcourse they have a organization to take care of them. Most of them are from Kerala and are solid jeep drivers. Our driver could go all the way up to Kodachadri temple on a heavy rainy day, with his 2*2 Major!!

Last edited by pramod : 30th September 2010 at 00:46.
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:17   #19
BHPian

@Pramod : Thanks for the comments. You sure know the places and trivia very well! Yes Gowrikere is the place after Nittur ( when you're coming from Kollur ). And yes, I love Mahindras!
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote