Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th October 2010, 10:57   #136
Team-BHP Support

I have driven around the Ooty/Bandipur road so many times, but never noticed this.
Though I had heard of Gopaswamy betta, but never realized it is accessible from this road.

Thanks for pointing that out.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 11:16   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have driven around the Ooty/Bandipur road so many times, but never noticed this.
Though I had heard of Gopaswamy betta, but never realized it is accessible from this road.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Ampere, its just about 10-12KMs from Gundlupet. So watchout for the village when you drive from Gundlupet to Bandipur, you can find a temple arch on right hand side immediately when you cross the village (Road signs are also there but unfortunately not much visible). You have to neter the road through the arch and drive till the check post which is in the bottom of the hill to take a pass for the vehicle and drive uphill.

I'm coming to the last batch of photographs. Let the nature speak for itself...

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-211.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-212.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-213.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-214.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-215.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-216.jpg

Temple as seen from roads (Previous post has a snap from temple to ghat road!)
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-217.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-218.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-218a.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-219.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-220.jpg

(to be continued...)
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 13:35   #138
Senior - BHPian

jacs, the weather looks awesome in your pics. Gopalswamy Betta is one of my favourite places, but sadly even that place has been overrun by tourists and is littered very badly.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 15:42   #139
Senior - BHPian

Default End of Day 3 : We are back home with satisfied minds

Dedicated to TBHP
Attachment 441828

By 3:30PM we decided to start back. It was still drizzling, we drove slowly to Gundlupet where we had some food. Let me be open here, till date not seen a single hotel which serves decent food in Gundlupet. Only option is the CCD. Now I can read the tireness from everyone faces. Trip is over and Monday is a working day!

Managed to reach Mysore before 6PM. Wifey and Mom in law wanted to purchase some Sarees for upcoming functions. We did a small purchase and started from Mysore after 7PM. Mysore was not much crowded but Mysore - Bangalore road was. Lot of vehicles and blocks. It took about 3 hours to reach home after getting some packed dinner. Dozed of to bed after food dreaming about the wilderness and the tiger sighting .

As promised, some stats!
Plan : 3 Days 2 Nights (2 Villas for 2 nights)
Pax : 4 adult + 1 Child
Total KMs Covered : 798KMs (285KMs one side + 228KMs of Safaris)
Total Expenses : INR 18000 (Including Food and Accomodation, Fuel, Toll, Tips, some purchases)

I have to admit that My Wife, son and in-laws played major roles in making this trip succesful. Also how can I forget Siddu and Satheesh! Hats off to them.

My sincere thanks to all you guys for the participation and encouragement provided for this travelogue. Special thanks to TBHP mods who have guided me to make it the best from start to end.

Do feel free to reach me for any support while planning your trip. Thanks once again. signing off for now.

The End
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 17:41   #140
BHPian

Gopalswamy Betta!!! brings back some of my memories of falling off the bike while climbing up the hill .. it was a bad experience. We almost made it to the top but a few meters before the parking area the bike lost its grip due to tiny stones on the road.
My friend was the pillion. Luckily we ecaped a mishap with minor injuries

Gopalswamy Betta is a beautiful place indeed. The hills are almost never ending.
Do stop by my thread to see some pics of the betta.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/69082-bangalore-bharachukki-gaganchukki-sangam-ganjan-gopalswamy-betta-bangalore.html
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:53   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Star,

Actually, if one plans well, they can stay in this place. There is a building which can house some seven people. This is run by the ministry of forests. One can book this place from their office in Malleswaram. We had done this about 12 years back for a birthday party of my friend.

No food is available here. One needs to carry it from a nearby village. We had carried the required stuff from Gundlupet.

The only danger here is that, in the night this place is infested with elephants. If one is brave hearted, they can stay in this place in the night and see the elephants surrounding the buliding all through the night.
I dont think forest department allowws night halt at Gopalswamy betta anymore. They had plans to build cottages here but not sure what happened to the plans
Recently there was a report on news papers that the priests had allowed some people stay at the temple choultry over night and the FD had them arreste.
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:49   #142
Senior - BHPian

A nice journey you took us through has come to an end.Sigh!

Now how about the epilogue, were you went and got hold of that tour agent by the scruff of the neck? I think you should give the names so that others do not fall in the same trap. I do make it a point to record both the good and the bad, with the names and all in any of the forums. It helps. But that's just my POV.
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 10:39   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Gopalswamy Betta!!! brings back some of my memories of falling off the bike while climbing up the hill .. it was a bad experience. We almost made it to the top but a few meters before the parking area the bike lost its grip due to tiny stones on the road.
My friend was the pillion. Luckily we ecaped a mishap with minor injuries

Gopalswamy Betta is a beautiful place indeed. The hills are almost never ending.
Do stop by my thread to see some pics of the betta.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html (Bangalore->Bharachukki->GaganChukki->Sangam->Ganjan->Gopalswamy Betta->Bangalore)
Oh! Thats a sad experience to hear but lucky that nothing catastrophic happened. And yes its ofcourse a beautiful place to drive from Bangy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
I dont think forest department allowws night halt at Gopalswamy betta anymore. They had plans to build cottages here but not sure what happened to the plans
Recently there was a report on news papers that the priests had allowed some people stay at the temple choultry over night and the FD had them arreste.
Best regards
Bala
+1. Same was the response when I enquired, they dont allow camping now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
A nice journey you took us through has come to an end.Sigh!

Now how about the epilogue, were you went and got hold of that tour agent by the scruff of the neck? I think you should give the names so that others do not fall in the same trap. I do make it a point to record both the good and the bad, with the names and all in any of the forums. It helps. But that's just my POV.
Ha ha ha. Nope I decided not to express my anger to him. One more holiday is pending which I dont want to get reimburesed through court . You guys can see another travelogue soon after this year with same troubles
Old 25th October 2010, 23:28   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Ha ha ha. Nope I decided not to express my anger to him. One more holiday is pending which I dont want to get reimburesed through court . You guys can see another travelogue soon after this year with same troubles
Vow thats good. Eagerly looking forward to that. Also, in that case, it is a wise decision to take things coolly. After all you cannot call somebody names and then go back for some free service
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:15   #145
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Jacs- Great write up- we are going to the same place and will be nice if i could get some tips from you
As i understand that we enter Bandipur and keep driving till we enter Mudhumalai?
Need some info on what are the best times and routes we can take to drive through the jungle in our own car to spot decent wild life
We are staying at Nest Inn. Have sent you a PM too.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 06:56   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Jacs- Great write up- we are going to the same place and will be nice if i could get some tips from you
As i understand that we enter Bandipur and keep driving till we enter Mudhumalai?
Need some info on what are the best times and routes we can take to drive through the jungle in our own car to spot decent wild life
We are staying at Nest Inn. Have sent you a PM too.
Thanks mkh.

I replied your PM assuming you are staying in "The Wilderness". My booking in Nest Inn got canceled on the last day since some guests didnt vacate and they arranged "The Wilderness".

Chances of spotting wild is sheer luck as per my experience. Anyways mornings and evenings are best in Mayar route since animals cross road for water. Noon time is not so famous for wildlife spotting. Roads are closed from 8PM in the evening till 6AM in the morning so plan accordingly, its about an hour drive from forest entrance to exit. Ensure you do morning and evening drives to Mayar everyday, you might see the beast if lucky.

"The Nest Inn" is in the heart of Masinagudi town, as you reach cross junction take right to Singara and its just 50 feet away. Nothing to worry about road conditions. When coming from Bandipur, take left climbing the bridge to Masinagudi in Theppekkadu reception.
Old 5th November 2010, 11:17   #147
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Amazing Pictures & writeup, Sad to know that you couldnt capture Mr. Stripes.
joshuakeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 09:49   #148
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Joshuakeys. It was just few seconds for Mr.Stripes to cross the road that too in dark, couldn't even think about cam. My eyes clicked the mighty beast and I preview it regularly .
Old 7th November 2010, 16:47   #149
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Hey Jacs
Thanks for the info you sent me. We had a great time over the past 2 days, except for the elusive big cat, spotted almost all(cheetal, sambar, elephant,langur,mongoose, gaur). The highlight of the sightings was a very close encounter with an elephant crossing and an amazing face to face (about 8 feet distance) meeting with a sambar, that sat and stared at us all the time through the bushes( normally they just run away!)
We could have the last experience thanks to you telling us about going to Mayar. Will post a thread and pics when gather the patience to do so
However, got the enthusiasm to go again and this time, drive around Mayar more to have more chances of sighting what all aspire for- the striped beast!
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 17:47   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Hey Jacs
Thanks for the info you sent me. We had a great time over the past 2 days, except for the elusive big cat, spotted almost all(cheetal, sambar, elephant,langur,mongoose, gaur). The highlight of the sightings was a very close encounter with an elephant crossing and an amazing face to face (about 8 feet distance) meeting with a sambar, that sat and stared at us all the time through the bushes( normally they just run away!)
We could have the last experience thanks to you telling us about going to Mayar. Will post a thread and pics when gather the patience to do so
However, got the enthusiasm to go again and this time, drive around Mayar more to have more chances of sighting what all aspire for- the striped beast!
Good to hear you had a nice trip. Seems you had seen many wild life especially Sambar deers are very shy, big cats are sheer luck as I mentioned. Dont worry, frequesnt trips increases your luck .

Waiting for a travelogue from your trip so that I could populate my mind with more info on Nilgiris.