Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st October 2010, 21:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hey Jacs,
Good going mate. Really cool experience driving in night in this Jungle. Waiting for more pics.
Thanks Sami, 160+ more snaps waiting to be posted .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Excellent travelogue.
The spiders and butterflies deserves lots of applause.

I'd like you to conclude with a factfile with all the gears and details of the trip.(car,camera,fule,total KMs,pit stops etc.). That'll help fellow T-BHPians to plan their trip.

Attaching 2 snaps from those Cactus area.Its one of the best stretch on masinagudi-ooty raod.
Thanks Mike Schumi. I shall post the summary at the end of the third day. Nice pictures, now I am reviving your memmories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Jacs,

Man oh Man !!! Amazing pictures. i loved the pictures of the spider & the church. Great.

@JOE 1980

There are no tigers in Bandipur anymore. Its just a belief. But yes, sometime, if one is very lucky, they get to spot a leopard.

And Jacs,
the flow is good, keep up the pace.
Thanks Nandans, I shall try to keep the pace and keep you all busy reading my travelogue .

Abut Tigers, recent census says 100+ tigers but this is common for Mudumalai, Bandipur, Wayanad, Kabini and Nagarhole as these animals migrate depending on their food availability.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:41   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Jacs those were some amazing pics. I loved the spidey one and looking fwd to the 160 more pics as promised . By no means you cannot call yourself a professional photographer.
Even i have been to bandipur twice and its one of the most beautiful places that one can go to. Will try and upload some of the pics I took with your permission ofcourse( i remember taking an amazing shot of a bison).
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 15:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey Jacs those were some amazing pics. I loved the spidey one and looking fwd to the 160 more pics as promised . By no means you cannot call yourself a professional photographer.
Even i have been to bandipur twice and its one of the most beautiful places that one can go to. Will try and upload some of the pics I took with your permission ofcourse( i remember taking an amazing shot of a bison).
Thanks for your good words drmohitg. Today is a special day for me, bought my first DSLR. May be my next travelogue would showcase better snaps when I become a better photographer (not so called professional, its a different direction altogether) .

And regarding your snaps, welcome to make this travelogue as interactive as possible

Last edited by jacs : 2nd October 2010 at 15:29.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:44   #49
BHPian

Jacs,

100 + where in Bandipur,Mudumalai & surrounding areas ? sorry but there are no tigers whatsoever here. It would not be out of place to name this place as the " SARISKA II "

I am telling you this since my close aquaintances are regularly in the census team, which is often volunteered. I also do little wildlife photography.

There are couple of tigers in BR Hills for sure, not more than that, since the stripes pattern found during the census has been almost the same. Its been ages since anybody spotted tigers in Bandipur and also i would like to inform you that Tigers dont leave their territory whatsoever, since each individual marks his or her territory.

Rest i can explain if required. I dont want to go

Please keep posting.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 2nd October 2010 at 21:46.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:08   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey but i remember seeing a picture of a tiger crossing the road in bandipur which was clicked by some tourist. It was on the front page of Time of India bangalore edition sometime last year.
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Yes mallumowgli, I'm preparing the next set of pictures. BTW litlle OT, seems my friend Manu has met you on his Kerala trip during Onam. Appreciate your willingness to check if they need any help
Yes. I remembered that you are his 'countryman' a little while after meeting him (remembered from your return to the native thread)

Quote:
It would not be out of place to name this place as the " SARISKA II "
That's sad to hear nandan. If there are only 2 Tigers in BR hills, I've seen both of them Brother and sister, 4 years back

Quote:
Today is a special day for me, bought my first DSLR. May be my next travelogue would showcase better snaps when I become a better photographer (not so called professional, its a different direction altogether)
Congrats Jacs!! So whats the next visit planned to celebrate the DSLR? Which make, model, lens?
mallumowgli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jacs,

100 + where in Bandipur,Mudumalai & surrounding areas ? sorry but there are no tigers whatsoever here.
Rest i can explain if required. I dont want to go
Please keep posting.

Oh thats sad! But the forest department guy, a wildlife photographer whom I met during safari and my tribal guide Siddu told the same figure 100+ including Bandipur, Mudumalai, Wayanad, Nagarhole and Kabini.

Spotting a striped cat is not that easy these days. But another BHPian spotted one recently, check this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-bandipur.html (All in a Days Drive.. Bandipur..)

Also Moyar hydel project area is being visited by a beast recently as mentioned by me. Plus Wait for my upcoming posts, some tiger stories coming .

Do provide us the details about striped cats, its a pleasure for all of us. Doctor Abheek Ghosh is also subscribed to this thread, he is an avid wildlife enthusiast.

Quote:
Hey but i remember seeing a picture of a tiger crossing the road in bandipur which was clicked by some tourist. It was on the front page of Time of India bangalore edition sometime last year.
Many lucky ones spot them while simply travelling (not safari) to some destinations via this route. My neighbour spotted one few years back while crossing the road just few KMs after Gunlupet towards Wayanad (not at all expected in village sides).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Yes. I remembered that you are his 'countryman' a little while after meeting him (remembered from your return to the native thread)

That's sad to hear nandan. If there are only 2 Tigers in BR hills, I've seen both of them Brother and sister, 4 years back

Congrats Jacs!! So whats the next visit planned to celebrate the DSLR? Which make, model, lens?
Thanks Buddy, it will take sometime to get aquinted with the DSLR. Now its a Canon 1000D with a Canon 50mm 1.8 Prime lens. Once I feel comfortable, will add a good zoom lens to shoot wildlife and birds which are of my favorites. And need to add a Macro kit too .

My beloved Fuji S5600 which took all these snaps is sold to another guy yesterday. Loved that cam but didnt wanted to dishonour it by keeping idle while I click on Canon.

And no lavish trips till 2011 due to the leaky pocket!

Last edited by jacs : 3rd October 2010 at 10:42.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:27   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some of the pics i could find from my trip. Got some more better ones on one of the drives. searching for them. Please overlook the quality as all of them are from my phone camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-dscn0496.jpg  

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-dscn0499.jpg  

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-dscn0501.jpg  

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-dscn0502.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 3rd October 2010, 15:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some of the pics i could find from my trip. Got some more better ones on one of the drives. searching for them. Please overlook the quality as all of them are from my phone camera.
drmohitg, nice snaps there. Could not believe the kingfisher shot came from a mobile cam! Its too good.
Old 3rd October 2010, 16:21   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could not believe the kingfisher shot came from a mobile cam! Its too good.
Hey that one was with a digicam. Yea even i love that pic the most. Still searching for that bison shot.
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:05   #56
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 2 ; Starting with Bandipur Van safari

Day 2: Saturday, 25th September 2010

Alarm rung @ 5AM, snoozed, again rung @ 5:10AM, snoozed again. Finally got up at 5:20AM, it was such a sound sleep. Baby also slept well without getting up now and then. Never in recent past, I had such a peaceful sleep.

Weather was too good, temperature would be <20 degrees in the morning because of the drizzles on the previous day. Decided to brush the teeth outside while wife and others get ready. View towards frog hills was amazing, misty but lights from Pykara are still visible. I spotted a spider busily weaving its nest, never knew why so hurry (got to know later when I returned after Safari).

Everyone got ready and baby Joshu is getting ready with the help of his mom. Oh! Its 5:40AM, forest gates open at 6:00AM. Got ready quickly as Siddu served the morning black coffee to wake everyone from the sleepy feel, not to mention the coffee powder is from the beans harvested from the resort plantation.

We started around 6:10AM, guard at the check post is now friendly with us being crossing for many times since the day before. Traffic was bit high since all lorries queued near the gates till 6:00AM. Anyhow the first van safari in Bandipur would leave before 6:30AM, now we decided to drive slowly not to miss any animals on the way and reach around 7AM to join the next trip. Could find Chitals, Langurs, Monkeys etc on the way. Few kilometers after Theppakkadu reception, a herd of elephants were crossing the road as we passed by.

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-64.jpg

As usual, the Chital families were roaming near Bandipur forest quarters.

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-65.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-66.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-67.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-68.jpg

We reached reception office by 6:50AM and as expected, two vans had already went inside the jungle and next vans are awaiting tourists! Officer requested us to wait, there are 27 seats to be filled (at least 20 tickets are to be sold to start the trip). We clicked some snaps while waiting for people.

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-69.jpg

Oh! Its 7:30AM, still only about 10 people are there? I couldn’t believe it! Luckily few cars came in another 15 minutes and forest officer called us to take the tickets. Van safari is INR 95 per head and still cameras can be carried in free. Video cams need to pay extra. There we quite some number of wildlife photographers in our trip, everyone busy booking seats and setting their equipments. All of them had Canon XXD (no offense to other brand users, may be because of the affordable choice of telephoto lenses). By the time we marched to our van, two vans carrying so called wildlife lovers returned. I noticed one thing, none of them had a smile on the face which indicates the level of game spotting they had. Out of curiosity, I asked one guy from a college gang. He replied “Tiger”! Everyone except him laughed like anything.

He couldn’t de-motivate me being a read about wild from many BHPians travelogues, its sheer luck most of the time!

Tickets had seat numbers mentioned and we found our seats in the van and curiously waited for the adventure to start.

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-70.jpg

( to be continued…)

Last edited by jacs : 3rd October 2010 at 18:10.
Old 4th October 2010, 09:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey that one was with a digicam. Yea even i love that pic the most. Still searching for that bison shot.
OMG! I thought my DSLR dreams are put down by a Mobicam . Shall continue the safari part while you come back with the bison shot.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:28   #58
BHPian

Excellent writeup. Waiting for your safari experience at Bandhipur.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 16:33   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Excellent writeup. Waiting for your safari experience at Bandhipur.
Thanks Joe, here you go for the safari.

Driver came and sharp 8AM we are on the move. As I told in the previous post, there were many wildlife photographers in our trip. Good thing is that these guys have good rapport with the drivers and staff (seems like this is their daily schedule!) which makes things better. Driver and one of these guys are in touch with other safari people (BSNL signal strength is good even in the midst of the jungle) to know if they have spotted something and to navigate accordingly.

We drove inside the gates, I turned back and saw everyone eagerly looking out of the window, My son was quite and curiously observing for any movements in the bushes (He remember spotting the animals the previous day). Driver had enough patience to drive very slowly and check if we could help showing something to us. Many jungle fowls, water hens and peafowl were there on the way but not even chital for the first few minutes. Soon driver slowed down, two huge Indian Guars were there on the side of the road. As soon as we stopped, one ran inside the bushes while the other one slowly followed it. All were happy that they were too near to us.

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-71.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-72.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-73.jpg

This one is just massive, as good as a young elephant!
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-74.jpg

From there we roamed through different routes and spotted few junglefowls, peafowls, Chitals, Elephants, Mongoose etc

Jungle Cock
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-75.jpg

Peafowls
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-76.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-77.jpg

Mongoose, but not the common one.
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-78.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-79.jpg

Jungle hen
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-80.jpg

Safari is for 45 minutes and already about 40 minutes got over; driver got a call from someone who spotted a tiger on the way. He rushed in to some other route and slowed down near some marshland and informed us to stay calm. Just about 5 minutes back a tiger crossed the road and went inside the bushes. We slowly roamed around the place but of no luck. The beast might be inside but not be camouflaged in the bushes. Jeep safari people had a nice time (our fellow BHPian who posted the snaps might have spotted this tiger). All of us felt sad for missing the rare sight. The wildlife photographer who was standing near me sanctified with some photographs he took the same day morning while a Tiger crossed the road. His gear was a Canon 50D with Sigma 150-500mm lens and a Monopod with ball head. Majestic beast! It just looked into the lens directly. Amazing snaps he had clicked, I got satisfied with the pictures of the Tiger though we couldn’t find one live. Wifey and in-laws were not happy and wanted to have another safari in the evening to spot the big cat.

Marshland where we searched for Tiger (Note the jungle fowls running here and there)
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-81.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-83.jpg

This is the lucky guy who captured the amazing shots of the beast.
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-82.jpg

Social life
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-84.jpg

(to be continued…)

Last edited by jacs : 4th October 2010 at 16:35.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Though its 9:00AM, we were not that hungry (Had a quick shot of Cup noodles while waiting for Safari which I forgot to mention) so decided to drive slowly searching again for some animals and visit the tamed elephants in Theppakkad.

Sun started hitting on us, regular sights of Wildboars and Chitals near forest quarters while we signed off from Bandipur.

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-85.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-86.jpg

Some stags were there on the way

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-87.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-88.jpg

There is place before border where the roads splits for about half kilometer and join back. This is a safe place for a quick stop to take a view of the landscapes surrounding the jungle.

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-89.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-90.jpg

Some elephants hiding in the jungle

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-91.jpg

Another elephant herd with a baby. On seeing vehicles slowing down, adults decided to cover-up the kid.

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-92.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-93.jpg

This hanuman langur was watching all these games

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-94.jpg

We reached Theppakkad, took left towards masinagudi. Immediately after the bridge, there is a vet hospital with a small museum attached where they have stuffed animals etc. And off course this place is famous for taking care of the tamed elephants which are used for Safari. There were around twelve elephants there, they are all well groomed and black (not brown like wild elephant). Few clicks and we started towards resort for the late breakfast!

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-95.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-96.jpg

This place is having some tribal population and can see tamed elephants near their huts

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-97.jpg

We saw some deer sort but big brown one running inside this thick green, it should be sambar deer!

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-98.jpg

(to be continued...)

Last edited by jacs : 5th October 2010 at 11:31.