Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th October 2010, 15:40   #106
Senior - BHPian

That was quite an experience you had. And the description was edge of the seat kind - very very thrilling. Enjoyed the ride through your eyes, man..thanks for sharing

You are right - it is once in a lifetime experience, spotting a tiger in the forest, and that too in the night!! Great!! Night in the jungle is extremely exciting since our senses itself would be stronger and every sound would seem amplified. Even the breaking of a twig would make us turn our heads

You said your mon-in-law was just 5-6 feet away. Does it mean that the side of the car she was sitting was closest for the elephants or (I hope not) were you outside the car?
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 16:19   #107
BHPian

Jacs, happy to note that you spotted the beast finally. I can feel the enthusiasm as I read your post. You indeed seem to have a nice time out there. Especially I would also love to go on a foot safari into the jungles with a person like Siddu. That should have been a marvelous experience.
joe1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 09:40   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
That was quite an experience you had. And the description was edge of the seat kind - very very thrilling. Enjoyed the ride through your eyes, man..thanks for sharing

You are right - it is once in a lifetime experience, spotting a tiger in the forest, and that too in the night!! Great!! Night in the jungle is extremely exciting since our senses itself would be stronger and every sound would seem amplified. Even the breaking of a twig would make us turn our heads

You said your mon-in-law was just 5-6 feet away. Does it mean that the side of the car she was sitting was closest for the elephants or (I hope not) were you outside the car?
Thanks dear. We were in the car only but elephant was close to the side where mom in law was seated. She still remember with shock the trumpet and face to face interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Jacs, happy to note that you spotted the beast finally. I can feel the enthusiasm as I read your post. You indeed seem to have a nice time out there. Especially I would also love to go on a foot safari into the jungles with a person like Siddu. That should have been a marvelous experience.
I am happy to see you happy, I was in dilema how to put things without any good photographs since the time you asked whether any luck on tiger .

Do let me know if you would like to visit "The Wilderness", I can give you the contacts.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 13:30   #109
BHPian

Sure, I would like to go on a safari. But I would like to go on a one in South India where the possibility of spotting the big cat is high. Any ideas on which places would be ideal for this in South India?
joe1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 14:32   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Sure, I would like to go on a safari. But I would like to go on a one in South India where the possibility of spotting the big cat is high. Any ideas on which places would be ideal for this in South India?
toss a coin
buy a lottery
i have been on umpteen safaris and havent seen tiger since 2001 while my guests have come casualy seen a tiger and complained "saw only one tiger"
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 14:44   #111
Senior - BHPian

Default The Final Day : Morning Safari & Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta

Day 3 : Sunday 26th September 2010

Yes! We reached the final day. Didn’t wanted to get up early but sun sneaked to our room through the glass slit of the roof. I decided to act as if I haven’t noticed it by bulling the blanket to cover my face. What a comfort!

Suddenly a sound “Hoob” “Hoob”, the langur family decided to visit and bid bye since we are vacating. As if he heard the alarm rung, Joshu jumped up telling “tooota” (He meant Langur in baby language!). “Appe” “Amme”, he wanted us to get up and take him outside and show the langurs.

Good Morning Joshu.
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-160.jpg

It was just 7:00AM and we are awake! Took him outside to show langur, he was happy to wave his hands to them (sign of bidding bye!). On seeing we are awake, Satheesh brought black coffee to freshen us up. Praveen was already awake in the next cottage and asked if we would like to join for another safari to Mayar (He has already booked Siddu). I looked back to Wifey, she smiled as a sign of yes! Okay the final safari, previous day’s Tiger sighting has revived everyone. We all got ready quickly, packing is yet to be done but not a big deal.

Morning in “The Wilderness”
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-161.jpg

The team
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-162.jpg

Its 8AM and we decided to drive quickly till Masinagudi so that we could take Mayar route before sun start hitting so hard. We reached Masinagudi around 8:40AM and weather is fresh and bright after the previous days shower. Chances are there for animals returning from the canal after quenching their morning thirst.

We saw some chitals
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-163.jpg

As I told earlier, this route is a birds paradise with many varieties. Praveen has a canon DSLR with 55-250IS lens which makes his life easy. He stopped now and then for clicking birds while I tried very few clicks since focusing on 10X was a challenge but today its better due to good lighting conditions.

Bar-winged flycatcher shrike
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-164.jpg

Praveen slowed down and showed us this wonderful seen. This ultramarine flycatcher was bathing lavishly in the roadside puddle. For about 3 minutes the show went on and then decided to quit.
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-165.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-166.jpg

Peahen
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-167.jpg

Red-vented Bulbul
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-168.jpg

White headed babbler
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-169.jpg

We reached Mayar reservoir area and decided to give Joshu some food since it’s already 9:30AM.

(to be continued…)
Old 12th October 2010, 17:43   #112
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick picnic near the reservoir or the village area.
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-170.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-171.jpg

After Joshu’s quick breakfast, we decided to start back to resort and packup! On the way back, we were comparably quick still checked if any surprise hosts on the way.

Few miles before Masinagudi, a large herd of chitals crossed the road. I could click only the last one!
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-172.jpg

Another stag
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-173.jpg

This herd only crossed the road
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-174.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-175.jpg

Just few clicks to satisfy me for the day
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-176.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-177.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-178.jpg

(to be continued…)
Old 13th October 2010, 13:57   #113
Senior - BHPian

We reached Masinagudi around 10AM and has time till 12 (~1PM) to vacate. Why not another trip to Singara, we haven’t seen this place in day light since the previous trips were at night. Its lush green everywhere and road is free from traffic. We drove happily, only animals seen were Chitals, monkeys and lot of domesticated cattles.

A cactus flower
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-180.jpg

This beauiful mountains form a border on one side of the road
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-181.jpg

Some open space, may be tomorrow's golf course
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-182.jpg

Road towards Singara, Praveen's car can be visible
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-183.jpg

We are reaching Singara Estate
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-184.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-185.jpg

This is the tunnel to dam area, restricted only for EB.
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-186.jpg

Some chital stags
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-189.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-190.jpg

We drove back after reaching Singara estate and reached back in the resort by 11AM. Hunger hunger for everyone, Siddu told a traditional pongal with sambar and chutney is ready for breakfast. We directly went to the dining area.

Do you see something on the ground?
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-187.jpg

(to be continued...)
Old 13th October 2010, 14:37   #114
Team-BHP Support

The snap #181; The mountain in the snap; Is it the one which walls the Moyar Gorge on the other side?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 14:46   #115
BHPian

Are those mushroom sprouts?
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 15:31   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The snap #181; The mountain in the snap; Is it the one which walls the Moyar Gorge on the other side?
Not very sure ampere. But I guess its not because of the geographical direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Are those mushroom sprouts?
Congrats, you won!

Here it is...
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-188.jpg

After the breakfast around lunch time, we packed quickly. Car is loaded with luggage and we are ready. Everyone had a sentimental moment when it came to bidding good bye to "The Wilderness". It was a home away from home and we never felt we were in a strange locality. Heartily thanked Siddu and Satheesh for the best service. Siddu has handed over some plant sapplings as requested by my wife and some pongal parcel for my little Joshu to have on the way when hungry.

Praveen was also starting back to Bangalore and waved to see in Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta if possible.

We started our return journey around 12:30 noon with a hope in mind to visit again.

(to be continued...)
Old 13th October 2010, 19:10   #117
BHPian

You know i went to Kaziranga national park in Assam four times but never saw so much wildlife that you guys did during this single journey. Really lucky, and do let me know what cameras you used during the trip.
San Phrangmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 19:18   #118
BHPian

Joe, the pics and the trip keeps getting better and better. Keep the photos coming buddy. Were the mushrooms edible? I just love mushrooms and was wondering if you tried cooking them
San i think he used a Fuji P&S but recently entered the DSLR club with the Canon 1000D. We can look forward to some more excellent logs and photos.
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 21:11   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
You know i went to Kaziranga national park in Assam four times but never saw so much wildlife that you guys did during this single journey. Really lucky, and do let me know what cameras you used during the trip.
Hi San,

Thanks for visiting this thread. Yes, we were quite lucky this time to see many animals and birds but the sheer luck we had is spotting "The Tiger" .

All of the snaps in this travelogue were taken on Fuji S5600 which is a 4 year old prosumer cam with 5.1Mpx. Most of the snaps are better than they appear here due to the compression I did on Windows standard tool. Anyways after the trip, upgraded to a 1000D so that I have enough time to learn the DSLR funda before the next trip and shoot something more serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Joe, the pics and the trip keeps getting better and better. Keep the photos coming buddy. Were the mushrooms edible? I just love mushrooms and was wondering if you tried cooking them
San i think he used a Fuji P&S but recently entered the DSLR club with the Canon 1000D. We can look forward to some more excellent logs and photos.
ET, those mushrooms are not poisonous and can be eaten. To my bad I saw it on the final moment only and didnt had time to taste it!

And regarding this travelogue, I am slowly approaching the end. Maybe just about 30 snaps more...
Old 13th October 2010, 22:40   #120
Senior - BHPian

Jacs,
Your travelogue is getting better and interesting with your narration and photographs. Keep it coming.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote