Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th October 2010, 12:50   #121
NFS
BHPian

Thumbs up Thanks for the TL

Jacs, I had never seen our National Animal in real in wild. We always had seen them in zoos. Also many comments here from other fellow BHPians about never spotting one in numerous jungle travels makes you "the fortunate Jacs & Family".

Rich colors of your photos gives real feel about the greenery and the moments you all enjoyed out there. All in all a superb travelogue and many thanks for taking time and narrating the story for our readers.

Looking forward to many more such TLs and that too I am excited about your new camera, "Can't wait to see pics from your new buy".

I still feel you should have preserved your old cam, for the quality captures it did for you.

All the best again,

NFS
NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 10:56   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Jacs,
Your travelogue is getting better and interesting with your narration and photographs. Keep it coming.
Regards,
Thanks Fazal sab. Couple of more posts coming up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Jacs, I had never seen our National Animal in real in wild. We always had seen them in zoos. Also many comments here from other fellow BHPians about never spotting one in numerous jungle travels makes you "the fortunate Jacs & Family".

Rich colors of your photos gives real feel about the greenery and the moments you all enjoyed out there. All in all a superb travelogue and many thanks for taking time and narrating the story for our readers.

Looking forward to many more such TLs and that too I am excited about your new camera, "Can't wait to see pics from your new buy".

I still feel you should have preserved your old cam, for the quality captures it did for you.

All the best again,

NFS
Thanks NFS. Old cam served me well but had to part with it for funding the DSLR since my budget was very limited. And moreover I wanted it be used rather than keeping it idle. The guy who got it from me is already on his three months trip to Germany and making full use of it .

Sorry everyone, had to go native for couple of days for some personal matters. Shall continue with the thread from today.

Last edited by jacs : 18th October 2010 at 10:58.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 16:48   #123
Senior - BHPian

Default Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta

We drove slowly to see if any hidden luck unveils. All regular sightings like Chitals, Monkeys, Langurs, Elephants etc. By the time we crossed Bandipur reception area, it started raining cats and dogs. I literally parked aside for about 5-10 minutes allowing rain to subside since visibility was really bad. We drove towards Gundlupet and while approaching a village noticed some yellow board towards left with a temple arch. Board was hidden by the branches of a tree but slowed down to see it says Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta. Road was not as good as we entered the route, overall a rough ride.

Road from Gundlupet to Check post
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-191.jpg

A tree hut for safeguarding corn fields
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-192.jpg

We drove for about 10 minutes to reach a check post in the bottom of the hill. We need to pay INR 50 for 4 wheeler entrance and from there its steep climb. Scenery from road started getting better and better, it was still drizzling. It took about 20minutes to reach the top where temple is located. Rough roads with steep climb but scenic of course.

Scene from road
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-193.jpg

Road from check post to temple
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-194.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-195.jpg

There weren’t much crowd there and enough parking spaces. Praveen has overtaken us on the way and his car was parked there. I parked side by side and just came out to feel the chill weather. Mist was playing hide and seek with us.

View from parking
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-196.jpg

View of parking
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-197.jpg

Temple as seen from parking
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-198.jpg

Some clicks to give a feel of the weather
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-199.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-200.jpg

(to be continued…)
Old 19th October 2010, 09:56   #124
Senior - BHPian

Nature playing hide and seek with mist

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-201.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-202.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-203.jpg

Ghat road as seen from top

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-204.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-205.jpg

Man and the machine

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-206.jpg

Family enjoying the view

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-207.jpg

Notice the tempo traveller climbing

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-208.jpg

Mist covered the view

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-209.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-210.jpg

(to be continued...)
Old 19th October 2010, 10:20   #125
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Nice narration and pics Jacs..love the butterfly shots.
Seems like you had a really nice time at Bandipur. I'm planning a trip there too..shall get in touch with you for tips etc.

Enjoy your DSLR!! The 50mm 1.8 MkII you got is an amazing lens for the price it sells.
robimahanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 10:26   #126
Senior - BHPian

Jacs,
Nice photographs of nature and landscape. Most of all three generations enjoying it.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 15:46   #127
BHPian

Jacs, what time you reached Gopalaswamy Betta? I had been there with my family, but there was no mist. Driving there in those conditions would have been awesome
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 17:46   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Nice narration and pics Jacs..love the butterfly shots.
Seems like you had a really nice time at Bandipur. I'm planning a trip there too..shall get in touch with you for tips etc.

Enjoy your DSLR!! The 50mm 1.8 MkII you got is an amazing lens for the price it sells.
Thanks Robi, do ping me for any help for the trip. If it was my DSLR and nifty fifty during the trip, I would have learned a lot. May be my next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Jacs,
Nice photographs of nature and landscape. Most of all three generations enjoying it.
Regards,
Thanks fazal sab, you noticed it! Three generations enjoyed equally

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Jacs, what time you reached Gopalaswamy Betta? I had been there with my family, but there was no mist. Driving there in those conditions would have been awesome
Hey Raj, we were there from about 2:30 till 3:30PM. Seems like a close miss! Weather was really chill!
Old 19th October 2010, 18:17   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally was able to catch up with the log. Amazing it must have been for you, we can feel it
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 18:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jacs

where exactly is this place "Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta" ?
it appears to be very scenic. BTW nice pictures.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 20:41   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Jacs

This is near the Bandipur Wlidlife Sanctuary, actually a part of it. You reach it by taking a right deviation a few kms after crossing Gundupet on the Mysore - Ooty Highway. Boards are there
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 20:51   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Jacs

Star,

Actually, if one plans well, they can stay in this place. There is a building which can house some seven people. This is run by the ministry of forests. One can book this place from their office in Malleswaram. We had done this about 12 years back for a birthday party of my friend.

No food is available here. One needs to carry it from a nearby village. We had carried the required stuff from Gundlupet.

The only danger here is that, in the night this place is infested with elephants. If one is brave hearted, they can stay in this place in the night and see the elephants surrounding the buliding all through the night.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 19th October 2010 at 20:53.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 22:13   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is near the Bandipur Wlidlife Sanctuary, actually a part of it. You reach it by taking a right deviation a few kms after crossing Gundupet on the Mysore - Ooty Highway. Boards are there
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Star,

Actually, if one plans well, they can stay in this place. There is a building which can house some seven people. This is run by the ministry of forests. One can book this place from their office in Malleswaram. We had done this about 12 years back for a birthday party of my friend.

No food is available here. One needs to carry it from a nearby village. We had carried the required stuff from Gundlupet.

The only danger here is that, in the night this place is infested with elephants. If one is brave hearted, they can stay in this place in the night and see the elephants surrounding the buliding all through the night.
thanks the additional information Raj and Nandan, In all looks like an exciting place apart from being scenic. Looks like one more interesting place added to the list of places that needs to be visited pending money and time.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 09:53   #134
BHPian

Quote:

The Gopalswamy Betta is the highest peak in the Bandipur Forest Area and can be reached from following location :

After entering on Ooty Road from Guldlupet, the first major village you see is Hangla Village, and on the other end of the village, from where the road descend, you can see an ARCH on your right side. Take that road and keep your vehicle on the left of the road to avoid any confusion because after few kilometers, there is a Fork and one road on right side leads to another village and the road on left leads to Gopalswamy Betta.

Once you reach on top of hill, you can see magnificent view of Bandipur Forest below the hill from the Temple premises.

I suggest do not go down on the other side of temple as that area is frequented by Elephants and Leopards and occassionally Tiger.

If climate is extremely cold and is early morning, then you may be able to see Snow formation inside the temple walls.

Last edited by micrographics : 20th October 2010 at 09:54.
micrographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 09:59   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Finally was able to catch up with the log. Amazing it must have been for you, we can feel it
Thanks for visiting Lalu and yes it was an amazing vacation.

Quote:
Hi Jacs

Star as Raj and Nandan already guided. Its very close to Gundlupet and probably one of the quick to reach hill stations for us. The main attraction is the temple on the top of the hills. There are chances of spotting Guar and Elephants if you trek down hill but its strictly illegal .