Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 13:30   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Name:  DSC_4661.JPG
Views: 1801
Size:  191.2 KB
Name:  DSC_4669.JPG
Views: 1880
Size:  152.2 KB

Finally we merged into the wonderful NH7 at thirumangalam.
NH7 still keeps it beauty.
Name:  DSC_4681.JPG
Views: 1778
Size:  135.0 KB
Name:  DSC_4684.JPG
Views: 1802
Size:  141.6 KB
Name:  DSC_4703.JPG
Views: 2281
Size:  137.0 KB

But there are some dangerous traps all over this road in TN.
You'll see someone driving at high speeds towards you.

I'm yet to understand,why they are taking the speed line, and not the other edge of road,if they have to drive due to some issues(like no u-turns,gaps for KMs)

Name:  DSC_4724.JPG
Views: 1729
Size:  119.4 KB
Name:  DSC_4725.JPG
Views: 1709
Size:  119.6 KB

I request any T-BHPians in that areas to start some initiatives to educate the people or get the help of traffic police,highway patrol police etc to stop this menace.

Its real dangerous when you spot some moped/bike/truck right after a blind curve.


Otherwise,we had a smooth road ahead.

Name:  DSC_4735.JPG
Views: 1698
Size:  119.5 KB
Name:  DSC_4736.JPG
Views: 1641
Size:  103.1 KB
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 10:23   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Just an update on the rain and waterlogging conditions are Kerala after those 5+ days heavy rains.

I travelled through part of Kuttanad area, between Haripad and Alappuzha-Changanacherry road, via Edathua.

Here is the route map
Name:  sshot15.jpg
Views: 5398
Size:  97.8 KB

Here is the road:

Name:  09102010116.JPG
Views: 1480
Size:  96.1 KB
Right after the rains--A travel from Trivandrum to Bangalore-09102010117.jpg

Yes the roads are like that for at least 10+ KMs on that stretch.

Infact kuttanad area is below sea level and this is the situation on almost all rainy season.

Last edited by mykal shoemaker : 14th October 2010 at 10:24.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 12:04   #18
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
The meter gauge line.(where last train serviced on 20th Oct 2010)
Is that a typo? We are still on 14th October 2010.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 12:58   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Is that a typo? We are still on 14th October 2010.
Oops.It was a typo.

Last trip was on Sep 20.

Kerala Latest News |Kerala Breaking News |Kerala Latest Headlines
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 15:00   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Nice travelogue. I have done this route a few times. The stretch is really beautiful. I hear that the Thenmala-Kottarakkara section is equally good.

Have a question. How do you bypass Tenkasi town? I keep missing this bypass and end up in the messy town losing at least 30 minutes. Once I had to pass through extremely narrow lanes near the Tenkasi railway station to cross the town as the rail over-bridge was getting constructed.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 15:14   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Oh man. Loads of water on that photo! And pretty scary too. It's almost knee deep as I see the person standing there. You took your ride there or did you switch to a boat?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 21:16   #22
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

@mykal shoemaker,

Can you please give a rough estimate on the time from Thenkasi/Kutralam to BLR?
I'm planning to do BLR-Kutralam tomorrow.

I assume NH-7 + NH-208 would be the best route to follow.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 21:28   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Can you please give a rough estimate on the time from Thenkasi/Kutralam to BLR?
I'm planning to do BLR-Kutralam tomorrow.

I assume NH-7 + NH-208 would be the best route to follow.
NH7-NH208 is the best route to follow.

My logs indicate driving time of roughly 8 hours from BLR to Tenkasi, my start times being 2:15AM and 4AM on two occasions.

Kutralam is roughly 15 minutes from Tenkasi.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 21:33   #24
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
NH7-NH208 is the best route to follow.

My logs indicate driving time of roughly 8 hours from BLR to Tenkasi, my start times being 2:15AM and 4AM on two occasions.

Kutralam is roughly 15 minutes from Tenkasi.

Thanks sbraj, that was a really quick response!

Couple of questions.

1. Though I have crossed Madurai on NH-7, I am not sure where to take this diversion to take NH-208. Is it marked clearly? Any landmarks nearby?

2. Any idea on the current condition of NH-208?

I am planning to start around 6 PM tomorrow evening.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 21:48   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
1. Though I have crossed Madurai on NH-7, I am not sure where to take this diversion to take NH-208. Is it marked clearly? Any landmarks nearby?
11 KMs beyond Madurai on NH7, you would encounter Tirumangalam town. You would have to bypass this town and then you would see the diversion marked for NH208.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
2. Any idea on the current condition of NH-208?
As per updates by mykal_shoemaker on this thread, the stretch is supposed to be good.

Some points to keep in mind since you are driving at night all throughout. These are mainly applicable for NH208.
- two laned highway without dividers.
- rural areas, hence there could be pickup trucks on full beam.
- watch out for any sudden potholes, uneven surfaces, unmarked humps etc.
- NH208 will not be as good as NH7, hence anticipate and be prepared for the difference (tarmac, traffic pattern etc).
- shops will not be open.

NH7 has marked humps near Thoppur that you might be already aware of. Be careful not to get rear ended by someone tailgating you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I am planning to start around 6 PM tomorrow evening.
6PM start would take slightly more time compared to early morning start as the BLR city, Hosur traffic would slow you down. Mostly you would reach around 4AM considering some break. Or are you planning non-stop drive?
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 22:23   #26
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
11 KMs beyond Madurai on NH7, you would encounter Tirumangalam town. You would have to bypass this town and then you would see the diversion marked for NH208.


As per updates by mykal_shoemaker on this thread, the stretch is supposed to be good.

Some points to keep in mind since you are driving at night all throughout. These are mainly applicable for NH208.
- two laned highway without dividers.
- rural areas, hence there could be pickup trucks on full beam.
- watch out for any sudden potholes, uneven surfaces, unmarked humps etc.
- NH208 will not be as good as NH7, hence anticipate and be prepared for the difference (tarmac, traffic pattern etc).
- shops will not be open.

NH7 has marked humps near Thoppur that you might be already aware of. Be careful not to get rear ended by someone tailgating you.


6PM start would take slightly more time compared to early morning start as the BLR city, Hosur traffic would slow you down. Mostly you would reach around 4AM considering some break. Or are you planning non-stop drive?
Thanks again Sbraj. I have my friend along who can drive as well, so planning to do it with one dinner break and couple of short breaks as needed.

Thanks for all your tips for NH208. I have done the Dindigul-Theni-Kumily route couple of times, I assume this would be somewhat similar to that, though traffic in that stretch was almost nil in the night. Yes, scared about the unmarked humps and potholes when doing an unknown route in the night. More scared about unmarked vehicles standing/coming on our way.

Can't start early but want to escape the koramangala/madiwala traffic which becomes really bad between 7 and 8.

Yes, the thoppur humps always keep me alert. Most times I cross this place, I see an accident. Don't know why people can't slow down and drive carefully at least in such places.

Thanks again for your tips.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 14:24   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Thanks sbraj, that was a really quick response!

Couple of questions.

1. Though I have crossed Madurai on NH-7, I am not sure where to take this diversion to take NH-208. Is it marked clearly? Any landmarks nearby?

2. Any idea on the current condition of NH-208?

I am planning to start around 6 PM tomorrow evening.
It seems you already started and got all the answers by now.

Anyway,here it is for other's benefit.

You'll see few Thirumangalam sign boards when you pass on NH7 through the periphery. Old highway passes through the thirumangalam town and you get into the starting point of NH208. For Night drive taking that route will give you few tea shops and a warm up break.

Else,we can keep driving on the NH7,where you can catch the road,when it crosses NH7. There are 2,3 Kollam,thenkashi,courtalam sign boards near that.So you won't miss it.

NH208 is in very good shape as road widening and other works have been performed around last 6 months.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 17:27   #28
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
It seems you already started and got all the answers by now.

Anyway,here it is for other's benefit.

You'll see few Thirumangalam sign boards when you pass on NH7 through the periphery. Old highway passes through the thirumangalam town and you get into the starting point of NH208. For Night drive taking that route will give you few tea shops and a warm up break.

Else,we can keep driving on the NH7,where you can catch the road,when it crosses NH7. There are 2,3 Kollam,thenkashi,courtalam sign boards near that.So you won't miss it.

NH208 is in very good shape as road widening and other works have been performed around last 6 months.
Here is an update with my experience:

Firstly, heavy rains make you focus more and make the drive a little more challenging.

NH-7 is as usual nothing to update except that there are some minor pot holes near hosur and sort of rough road surfaces near hosur. On my return there was one big pothole after krishnagiri which I think people normally dont expect in highways. Could lead to accident when people try to swerve seeing it at the last moment.

Started from Indirangar at 7:30 PM thursday reached Coutralam at 7.30 in the morning. Lost about 30 mins due to heavier than usual traffic on inner ring road. Dinner Break of 1 hour in A2B Krishnagiri. Another break of 15 mins for tea and a halt of one hour in Rajapalayam to pick up a friend.
Total driving time of 10hrs mins approx. Probably a little more than estimated timings due to the heavy rains and the fact that it was the first trip on my punto which is still in run-in period. So kept it to a max of 90kmph/~2k rpm.

Started back from Coutralam at 6.15 PM saturday. Really heavy rains for around 25% of the time and moderate rains/drizzling for another 50% of the distance. Reached bangalore by 6:30 AM sunday. Took a dinner break for an hour in Thirumangalam and had to take a detour into Tenkasi and Dindigul towns where we probably lost around 1 hr. This is again with a relaxed crusing at around 90 kmph when possible and much slower drive due to rains at other times.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 08:55   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
On my return there was one big pothole after krishnagiri which I think people normally dont expect in highways. Could lead to accident when people try to swerve seeing it at the last moment.
Any pointers to where exactly one can expect this pothole? On which lane?
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:58   #30
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Any pointers to where exactly one can expect this pothole? On which lane?
I am sure it is before A2B but I forgot exactly where. It is in the fast lane.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woman-friendly travel facilities in Trivandrum, Kerala maneesh1098 Street Experiences 7 3rd February 2014 21:53
Trivandrum to Ashtamudi Travel Options ajmat Route / Travel Queries 2 10th July 2013 14:54
Advice on bus travel (Pune /Bangalore /Trivandrum) greenhorn Route / Travel Queries 4 17th January 2010 19:13
Bangalore-Goa-Mumbai road condition after rains Agastya_Drifter Route / Travel Queries 2 8th October 2009 20:39
Travel route - Trivandrum to Peerumedu Kris_risk Route / Travel Queries 9 13th June 2009 19:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks