Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd December 2010, 00:34   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Nice pictures there. Seems like you had a good time. Keep them coming!
Thanks, Pervez. We sure had a great time loitering around the Karnataka coast.
aryasanyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Thanks, Pervez. We sure had a great time loitering around the Karnataka coast.
Actually I had been to Mangalore on my wedding anniversary couple of years back and stayed at Summer Sand resorts. It is was a lovely stay with the beach reserved to us. Costal Karnataka is a good visit in winters.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:21   #33
BHPian

Default Day 6: Karwar

We reached Ankola at 1:10PM, exactly as promised by the bus conductor.
We found a bus to Karwar standing right beside and immediately boarded it. This was actually the Hangal-Sirsi-Panjim bus. The bus was supposed to take 45mins to Karwar.
The hunger pangs had started. We kept our fingers crossed.

The scenery all along the way from Gokarna to Karwar was mesmerizing, especially on the Ankola-Karwar stretch. Passing through green, verdant valleys, or hugging the mountains of the Western Ghats, this was a wonderfully scenic route.
The icing on the cake is just when the bus turns a bend and the full majesty of the INS Kadamba suddenly thrusts in front of you. An awesome experience!

The beautiful curve that the coastline makes here, and the plain green valleys of Amdalli and the distant structures of the Naval Base all make up a beautiful picture, very rarely seen.
I didn't take pictures of this as I didn't think it to be appropriate. It is a defense establishment after all.

Some reason to smile at last. Our bus pulled into the Karwar bus stand at 2:15PM.

Karwar is a picture perfect small town sandwiched between the Konkan coast and the Western Ghats. Very beautiful indeed. Arguably, the prettiest of all the coastal Karnataka towns I have seen so far, and I have nearly seen most of them.
Got an auto for Rs.40 to the Jungle Lodges office. The office is in Kodibagh, around 3-4kms from the bus stand. The road to the office is along the coast, lined with trees and very clean.
Jungle Lodges folks, efficient as they are, assured us of our lunch and transferred us immediately to the boat that transfers us to the resort on the other bank of the Kali river.

The walk from the jetty to our allotted loghut was a long one, and famished as we were at that point, the walk seemed even longer.
Loghut no.8 was our's for the day. Loosened up immediately and went to the Golghar for lunch. All the items served, seemed great, and we gorged on the food.

Post lunch, Aradhya had a whale of a time in the children's play area. And later we, father and son, spent some glorious moments in the hammock in front of our hut.
Then it was time to go to the beach.

Lined with Casuarinas, the beach reminded me of Digha, West Bengal, but the comparision is lame actually. Devbag is a much superior beach and very well maintained. In fact, the beach stretches all the way north for about 8kms, before giving way to a jutting mountain near the Goa border.

We spent whole evening on the beach till sunset.
Then went back at the hut, where we washed some of our soiled clothes and the balcony railing was lined up with them.
After taking a quick shower, we were back at the beach for an evening bonfire with some snacks and spirits.

It was a splendid sight. A new moon night, pitch dark. Waves lashing on the beach. Lightning striking and lighting up the night sky. There was a hint of rain too, but mercifully the heavens stayed shut.
Snack time over, we were back to the hut. Spent some leisure time and then around 8:30PM, the call for dinner came.

Post dinner, we called it a day. Next day they'd call us up at 6:30 tomorrow.
So far so good...

A shot from the moving bus on the Ankola-Karwar stretch. Taken with my mobile camera.
Name:  07102010081.jpg
Views: 3339
Size:  209.2 KB

At the Kodibagh jetty, Karwar.
Name:  07102010082.jpg
Views: 3270
Size:  158.1 KB

We just passed below the Kali River bridge, en route to Devbagh.
Name:  IMG_3879.JPG
Views: 3167
Size:  141.4 KB

Looking onto Devbagh from the boat.
Name:  IMG_3880.JPG
Views: 3138
Size:  113.6 KB

Wife and son at the Devbagh beach.
Name:  IMG_3902.JPG
Views: 5936
Size:  139.0 KB

A view of the Karwar port from Devbagh beach.
Name:  IMG_3904.JPG
Views: 3302
Size:  116.3 KB

The Kurumgad Island (right) and the Sanyasi Island (left) from Devbagh.
Name:  IMG_3905.JPG
Views: 2979
Size:  96.2 KB

Enjoying Devbagh.
Name:  IMG_3908.JPG
Views: 2870
Size:  152.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3909.JPG
Views: 2808
Size:  135.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3922.JPG
Views: 2841
Size:  251.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3925.JPG
Size:  120.8 KB

A crab making way to it's den on the beach.
Name:  IMG_3928.JPG
Views: 2864
Size:  296.8 KB

Pictures of the setting sun and the sandbars.
Name:  IMG_3931.JPG
Views: 2721
Size:  114.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3935.JPG
Views: 2659
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3939.JPG
Views: 2660
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3943.JPG
Views: 2693
Size:  123.1 KB

A view of the tiny beach on Kurumgad Island. Couple of souls hanging out there as well.
Name:  IMG_3945.JPG
Views: 2729
Size:  129.8 KB

The Devbagh beach resort.
Name:  IMG_3951.JPG
Views: 2647
Size:  244.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3952.JPG
Views: 2616
Size:  234.1 KB

Last edited by aryasanyal : 3rd December 2010 at 01:33.
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My pleasure in helping you revive your nostalgia.
I apologize that I don't have any more pictures of Gokarna town to share. I wanted to walk down the lanes of Car Street and take some photos, but the tight schedule didn't allow me.
If I'd have known your love for Gokarna, I'd have definitely taken some more.
Hi Arya.

you don't have to apologize. You have already revived my nostalgia, your pictures have revived the urge to go back to one's childhood days.

It has been two tough weeks for me, today is a relaxed day eventhough some calls need to be attended. so i thought to set the day by posting couple of pictures. I do not have all the pictures with me now, but will post more pictures of Ankola-Karawar stretch as well as Devbagh in the evening once back home.

Kodibagh-Kali river bridge-Karwar beach panaroma
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-kodibagkali-river-bridge.jpg

ANHC at Devbagh, actually we drove to Devbagh instead of going by boat.
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-anhcdevbagh.jpg

JLR at Devbagh
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-jlrdevbagh.jpg

Devbagh beach panaroma at 12 noon.
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-devbagh-beach-panaroma.jpg

Last edited by StarVegabond : 3rd December 2010 at 09:27.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:44   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Actually I had been to Mangalore on my wedding anniversary couple of years back and stayed at Summer Sand resorts. It is was a lovely stay with the beach reserved to us. Costal Karnataka is a good visit in winters.
I have been attached to summer sand for almost over 2 decades now.
a lot of my relatives are put up near summer sand resort.
Its a good place.
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arya,

As a tribute to your Coastal Karnataka trip by public transport and your help in reviving my memories of Gokarna, i am posting here some pictures.

There are three sets of pictures viz. Ankola-Karwar stretch+Karwar port/beach, Kali river bridge and surroundings and Devbagh beach resort itself.

View point onway from Ankola to Karwar (Pardon me for the quality, i am still learning)
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-view-point-onway-ankolakarwar.jpg

Distinct view of Karwar beach
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-109-distinct-view-karwar.jpg

Karwar beach
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-111-karwar-beach-i.jpg

Karwar beach view II
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-112-karwar-beach-ii.jpg

Karwar beach III
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-113-karwar-beach-iii.jpg

View of the Karwar beach
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-115-view-karwar-beach.jpg

Karwar port + beach panaroma
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-119-karwar-portbeach-panaroma.jpg

Boats at Karwar port
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-120-boats-karwar-port.jpg

Anchored fishing/water sports boats
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-121-anchored-fishing-boats.jpg

On Kali bridge at Sadashivgad
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-123-kali-bridge-entry-sadashivgad.jpg

On top of Kali bridge
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-136-top-kali-river-bridge.jpg

View of the Kali bridge
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-kodibagkali-river-bridge.jpg

View from another angle
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-135-view-another-angle.jpg

View of Kodibagh from the opposite side
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-128-kodibag-water-front-hdr1.jpg
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-130-kodibag-waterfrant-opposite-shore.jpg

Some men are still at work
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-131-some-men-still-work.jpg

Boats for water sports
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-132-boats-watersports.jpg

I will post Devbagh beach resort pictures in the nex post

Last edited by StarVegabond : 3rd December 2010 at 19:00.
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:19   #37
BHPian

These are wonderful photos, StarVegabond!!
I especially relish the ones that you took of Karwar beach (R.N. Tagore beach?), Sadashivgad and on top of the Kali river bridge - since I hadn't been to these places.

You have a thing for taking panoramic shots, isn't it?
Old 4th December 2010, 00:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are wonderful photos, StarVegabond!!
I especially relish the ones that you took of Karwar beach (R.N. Tagore beach?), Sadashivgad and on top of the Kali river bridge - since I hadn't been to these places.

You have a thing for taking panoramic shots, isn't it?
Instead of flooding your personal family travelogue, i thought of posting a seperate thread with the 80 odd pictures of Devbagh beach resorts.

Here is the new thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...rt-karwar.html (Micro-Travelogue : Devbagh Beach Resort at Karwar)

if you need any of these pictures (without copy right mark) please PM me your e-mail address, along with the serial number (Serial numbers can be found when you move the mouse pointer on the picture along with the name.jpg) of the picture. i will try and send it to you.

It is a small tribute to you for motivating me to post this Micro-travelogue as well as bringing out nostalgia about my days in Gokarna some 23 years ago.
Old 4th December 2010, 14:08   #39
BHPian

Those Bekal fort pictures are superb. Especially the one of the beach where you did not find time to go. Those coconut trees and the greenery in that pic is amazing and very soothing for the eyes.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 10:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

@aryasanyal.. Nice pics and v good naration too.
@Star your Honda city & Karwar beach pics reminds me of my Honda city & Karwar beach.... Same pinch

Edited this pic to Sepia
Coastal Karnataka in a week.-img_1211.jpg

Coastal Karnataka in a week.-img_1210.jpg
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 18:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@Star your Honda city & Karwar beach pics reminds me of my Honda city & Karwar beach.... Same pinch
hmm, i can see that background has not changed, only the car model and human models have changed.

wonderful and "nostalgic feeling" pictures from you. i am yet to experiment with any post processing. the only ones i have tried are cropping, Auto Contrast, Panaroma stiching, HDR, fish eye effect (couple of times).
Would try Sepia effect sometimes in future.

thanks for sharing.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:21   #42
BHPian

Default Re: Coastal Karnataka in a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Instead of flooding your personal family travelogue, i thought of posting a seperate thread with the 80 odd pictures of Devbagh beach resorts.

if you need any of these pictures (without copy right mark) please PM me your e-mail address, along with the serial number (Serial numbers can be found when you move the mouse pointer on the picture along with the name.jpg) of the picture. i will try and send it to you.

It is a small tribute to you for motivating me to post this Micro-travelogue as well as bringing out nostalgia about my days in Gokarna some 23 years ago.
Thanks a ton! I shall peruse all the photos that you've uploaded and surely PM you if I feel the need of any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Those Bekal fort pictures are superb. Especially the one of the beach where you did not find time to go. Those coconut trees and the greenery in that pic is amazing and very soothing for the eyes.
Thanks ambi!
Imagine how I might have felt standing there. It's awesome actually and a shame that I couldn't make my way down to the Pallikere beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@aryasanyal.. Nice pics and v good naration too.
Thanks sushrutha!
Old 9th December 2010, 01:42   #43
BHPian

Default Day7: Karwar

Woke up at 6:00AM, and went for the nature walk at around 7:00AM.

We waded through the banks which were submerged due to the high tide, and saw nature's little pleasures on the way.

The flower of the Cinchona tree. The flowers apparently bloom only this time of the year.
Name:  IMG_3955.JPG
Size:  199.9 KB

Shells clinging on to a broken tree stump.
Name:  IMG_3957.JPG
Views: 2373
Size:  232.5 KB

The Kali river bridge at dawn.
Name:  IMG_3960.JPG
Views: 2315
Size:  122.1 KB

A kingfisher perched on a branch waiting for it's breakfast. How I missed my telephoto converter on this walk!!
Name:  IMG_3961.JPG
Views: 2327
Size:  331.9 KB

The naturalist showing us the remains of a dead jellyfish.
Name:  IMG_3962.JPG
Views: 2352
Size:  170.6 KB

An eagle waiting for it's breakfast as well.
Name:  IMG_3963.JPG
Views: 3037
Size:  357.0 KB

The naturalist, accompanying us, explained the various flora that make up Devbag. This was a 96 acre casuarina plantation of the Karnataka forest dept. out of which 6 acres were given to Jungle lodges 15 years back to start this eco-friendly resort.

Devbag is indeed a peninsula, but the small Devbag river at high tide makes this an island, which it was right when we were doing the walk.

The Devbag River on the left and the Kali River on the right. This was during high tide, making Devbag an island for the time being.
Name:  IMG_3964.JPG
Views: 2492
Size:  120.8 KB

We went walking further north into the woods behind the resort and saw a peacock, a seagull, various kinds of butterflies before coming back to have breakfast.

A crab running helter skelter on the muddy banks of the marshes.
Name:  IMG_3972.JPG
Views: 2277
Size:  256.5 KB

A Brahminy Kite taking off.
Name:  IMG_3974.JPG
Views: 2270
Size:  51.8 KB

A thorny plant that I met on the walk.
Name:  IMG_3975.JPG
Views: 2287
Size:  274.5 KB

A glimpse of the peacock.
Name:  IMG_3977.JPG
Views: 2300
Size:  284.8 KB

Another glimpse of the same. Again I rued leaving my telephoto converter at the log hut.
Name:  IMG_3979.JPG
Views: 2299
Size:  271.7 KB

After a sumptuous breakfast we went for a boat ride out to the sea. It was a tad frightening due to the high tide and large waves. So we asked the boatman to turn back as the baby was getting restless.

Came back to our loghut and packed up quickly in order to vacate the place by 11:00AM, the check out time.
We planned to have lunch at the golghar and then transfer to the houseboat.
Till then it was back to enjoying the pleasures of this tranquil place.

Aradhya enjoying the children's facilities after breakfast.
Name:  IMG_3981.JPG
Views: 2287
Size:  327.7 KB

A view of the Devbag beach from the boat.
Name:  IMG_3986.JPG
Views: 2241
Size:  139.5 KB

We spent some time on the beach with Aradhya playing with his sand toys.
After lunch, took up a tent (provided at no extra cost) to while away the time till about 4:00PM, which is when the houseboat leaves shore for the day.
Seems that we are the only ones on the houseboat allotted to us. There is a provision for two families to stay on a single houseboat.

Spending time in the tent. Taken with my cellphone - sorry for the quality.
Name:  08102010094.jpg
Views: 2234
Size:  174.2 KB

Time for a quick siesta and then around 4:00PM we bid adieu to this wonderful resort and headed towards the jetty.
The boat took us across to Kodibagh jetty, where the houseboat was supposed to come.

The Hazrat Shakkaramoddin Darga, Sadashivgad, Karwar. Taken from the boat.
Name:  IMG_3997.JPG
Views: 2624
Size:  139.8 KB

A temple on a tiny island next to the Kodibagh jetty.
Name:  IMG_4000.JPG
Views: 2204
Size:  159.0 KB

This is when the issues started cropping up.

Firstly, the houseboat wasn't available at 4:00 - the scheduled time. It had gone to refill water. We were first shifted onto the Devbag Pearl, for the time being, and then to the Devbag Diamond, our houseboat.

Not a deal breaker, I'd say. But next -
1. Water flow in the bathroom taps were thread-thin.
2. Hygiene of the attendant was not exactly exemplerary.
3. The toilet seat doesn't have one of it's holding screws. So the seat doesn't quite hold onto it's position all the time.
4. The water was filled with metallic sediments.
5. Non veg food for dinner means eggs and a couple of side-dishes thrown in. Not exactly what we were prepared for.
6. The common area in front doesn't have the pest-control lights making it impossible to have dinner there, what with all sorts of insects flying around mid-river.

These were just a few of the issues. I could go on and on.
But they just started services the previous day for this season. To give them the benefit of doubt, these might be the birth pangs of the season ahead, which hopefully should become smoother down the line.
The houseboats stay unused during the whole monsoon and are brought back into service during this time of the year. And the maintenance, as we saw, was pretty pathetic.

The reason for which I forced myself to adjust to all these issues was the location and the surroundings. The ambience and natural scenery of the banks of the Kali river is amazing.

The Devbag Pearl approaches.
Name:  IMG_4003.JPG
Views: 2257
Size:  183.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4004.JPG
Views: 2206
Size:  120.4 KB

Aradhya tries steering the ship.
Name:  IMG_4005.JPG
Views: 2194
Size:  212.1 KB

Finally, the Devbag Diamond arrives.
Name:  IMG_4008.JPG
Views: 2199
Size:  254.0 KB

Our room for the night on the Diamond.
Name:  IMG_4015.JPG
Views: 2198
Size:  134.9 KB

The houseboat dropped anchor around 8:00PM. We would stay put there for the night. The location was around 25kms upstream, from Karwar, near the village of Shiddar/Shikdar.

It was absolutely silent and the other houseboat arrived after us but anchored about a 100 metres beyond us. We could get a sense of the place, but it was pitch dark and we couldn't see a thing beyond the lights of the boats.

So long... from the houseboat.

Some more photos from the day -

The setting sun over Kodibagh jetty.
Name:  IMG_4016.JPG
Views: 2192
Size:  120.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4017.JPG
Views: 2202
Size:  115.9 KB

The Kali River bridge at dusk.
Name:  IMG_4020.JPG
Views: 2224
Size:  93.5 KB

At the mouths of the Kali River at dusk. From right to left - The Tagore beach, Sanyasi Island, Kurumgad Island and Devbag.
Name:  IMG_4021.JPG
Views: 2256
Size:  66.0 KB

Sanyasi Island and Kurumgad Island up close.
Name:  IMG_4023.JPG
Views: 2125
Size:  84.3 KB

The silent darkness of the anchored houseboat late at night.
Name:  IMG_4031.JPG
Views: 2078
Size:  121.8 KB

Last edited by aryasanyal : 9th December 2010 at 01:45.
Old 9th December 2010, 02:06   #44
BHPian

This was probably where they anchored the houseboat for the night...

Coastal Karnataka in a week.-shiddar.png
Old 9th December 2010, 04:56   #45
BHPian

Default Re: Coastal Karnataka in a week.

"Devbag Diamond" looks like the boat house in Aleppey..
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote