Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th October 2010, 09:46   #31
BHPian

Default Flight of the Pelicans

When we arrived at the lake, there was a slight breeze blowing whose primary purposed seemed to only cover the lake with Hyacinth. As soon as the lake got completely covered, it stopped blowing and the Sun disappeared behind the clouds. A few minutes into the absence of breeze made us realize how humid it can get.

It was nothing like I had ever experienced before. We were sweating from head to toe and wifey couldnt take it any longer. It was close to 5PM and i had to remind her of the spectacle we had seen the earlier day, the flight of the pelicans. This coupled with the thought that this was our last day at Kolleru kept our spirit up and kept us going.

Dot on time (it was around 4.50PM), the Pelicans started gettig up to fly away. What followed next can only be appreciated if one is physically present there. In groups of 3-10 the pelicans started flying away. And while flying, they seemed to raise to a hight of 3-4 feet, then drop to a height of just 1/2 feet from the waters surface and then raise contineously. Here are a few snaps:

The flight of the pelicans:

Kolleru lake bird sanctuary - The super sultry avian paradise-1.jpg

Kolleru lake bird sanctuary - The super sultry avian paradise-2.jpg

Kolleru lake bird sanctuary - The super sultry avian paradise-3.jpg

Kolleru lake bird sanctuary - The super sultry avian paradise-4.jpg

Kolleru lake bird sanctuary - The super sultry avian paradise-5.jpg

Not sure what species, but found this on our way back to the hotel and back to Hyderabad

Kolleru lake bird sanctuary - The super sultry avian paradise-6.jpg

Name:  7.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  30.3 KB
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 16:34   #32
BHPian

Hi Arun,

The bird you have asked me to identify (paradise-55.jpg) is indeed the bronze-winged jacana.

paradise-37.jpg - Little Egret in breeding plumage.

22.jpg - Pond Heron (not Wood Sandpiper)

The picture above - Indian Roller, also commonly called the Blue Jay here in India.

Last edited by discoverwild : 20th October 2010 at 16:35.
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 17:30   #33
BHPian

Unable to edit the earlier post, but the Bank Myna ID might be wrong, could still be a juvenile common myna. Will try to get a better answer soon.
Old 20th October 2010, 18:13   #34
BHPian

Hey suraj, thanks a ton! I am slowly learning the art of identifying birds as i seem to have named a few of them correctly, thanks to your first post.
Have you been to kolleru bird sanctuary? Its a bird paradise for sure - especially for the pelicans.
BTW, that reminds me, I am yet to upload the video of the pelicans flying away from their perch, which was one of the highlights of the trip. The pelicans arrive at this spot at around 3PM and leave 5PM dot. Do you have an idea about this peculier behaviour and where they head to?
Old 20th October 2010, 18:28   #35
BHPian

They normally head out to higher trees where they are safer. Common in almost all birds which move around in groups including crows.

Get Salim Ali's "Book of Indian Birds" or Inskipp's "Birds of the Indian Sub-continent".

Last edited by discoverwild : 20th October 2010 at 18:29.
Old 21st November 2011, 11:04   #36
BHPian

Default Re: Kolleru lake bird sanctuary - The super sultry avian paradise

Pelicans breed in Kolleru lake: After five decades, Grey Pelicans were sighted with hatchlings. Source, todays Times of India, Hyderabad edition, Page 7. Here is another link i found on the net: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle2390807.ece

Like i said before, for the destination starved Hyderabadi's, this is an excellent place to spot some of these exotic birds, making for a perfect getaway (400KM from Hyd).