Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th October 2010, 12:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Bangalore - Wayanad Trip October 9 - 10, 2010

When - 9th and 10th October 2010
Who - My, Wife, Our 9 Month Old Daughter and Our New Ford Fiesta SXi Petrol

I had purchased my new Ford Fiesta on September 18th and wanted to take it on the highway to properly run in the car. Since we were travelling with our daughter and the new car, our choices were limited. We did not want to strain the babies (our daughter and the car). We were looking for a place where all of us (including the car) could unwind and relax. Hence the intention of the trip was not sightseeing. I booked a cottage in Tropical RainForRest Homestay, Lakkidi. Read good reviews about this place. The tariff was Rs 2000/- for a day including breakfast and taxes.

We started at 5:30 AM on September 9th (half an hour behind schedule). The route that we planned to take was Bangalore-Mysore-Gunlupet-Muthanga-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri-Lakkidi. The traffic was light we were cruising on the Bangalore-Mysore express way a little after 6:00 AM. Since the car had done less than 400 KM, I was restricting the
speed to 80-90 KM/h. Our first break (and the only one) for breakfast (consisting of bun and banana which we carried) was at 7:45 AM after crossing Mandya. We took a break of almost 25 mins here.

We entered Mysore city lttle before 8:45 AM. I did not take the bypass as it was longer and traffic was not that much. The Mysore Nanjanguad stretch is little rough but manageable. I could do 50-70 KM/h in this stretch. The Nanjanguad Gunlupet strech looks to be newly laid. This was an excellent stretch with very little traffic. The Fiesta was cruising at 80-90 KM/h. I had a tough time restricting the speed. I am a fast driver and I have driven my Maruti alto at 100-120 KM/h in this stretch.

We reached Gunlupet at 9:52 AM and took a right turn to Sulthan Bathery. The road was not as good as the Nanjanguad Gunlupet
stretch. There were occasional potholes in this stretch but no deep ones. The potholes inside the forest stretch were filled wih crusher dust + boulder mix.

We entered Kerala state by 10:33 AM. The are occasional deep Potholes between Muthanga and Kalpetta but there are very good stretches also. We reached our resort gate by 12:03 AM via Muthanga, Sultan Bathery, Meenangadi, Kalpetta and Vythiri.

The distance was 317 KM. The total time taken was 6 Hours 30 mins which includes a break of 25 mins.

The 300 mts distance from the main road to the resort was a true stress test for the car as well as us. See pictures below. There was a steep climb on a path with uneven surfaces and full of boulders. To add to the difficulty there were water channels dug across the path. All of us were (including the car) relieved once we reached the top. My wife commented that she felt sorry for the car.

Here are some pictures.

1. The way to the resort
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 5022
Size:  231.0 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 5035
Size:  270.9 KB

2. The resort. We got the entire first floor of this which includes a Hall, Kitchen, Bed Room and a nice balcony. There is a car parking also but only SUVs can reach there.

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 4817
Size:  173.9 KB
Name:  4.JPG
Views: 4815
Size:  119.0 KB
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 4776
Size:  128.4 KB
Name:  222.JPG
Views: 4793
Size:  123.8 KB

3. There is a view point just outside our resort.

Name:  11.JPG
Views: 4672
Size:  93.1 KB

4. Some other pictures

Name:  6.JPG
Views: 4809
Size:  121.8 KB
Name:  8.JPG
Views: 4849
Size:  173.5 KB
Name:  9.JPG
Views: 4938
Size:  174.3 KB
Name:  10.JPG
Views: 4862
Size:  164.0 KB

We started our Journey back at 2:30 PM (late by 1 hour). While returing we saw a Bangalore registration Honda City (latest model) getting stuck in one the deep water filled potholes near Muthanga. The car was resting on its chassis and two RHS wheels were not touching the road. While we stopped to see whether we need to offer some help, some good samaritans stopped their car and lifted the car out of the pothole. For a moment, I shuddered to think how dangerous our roads could be.

On the way back there were light showers. We entered Mysore city by 6:30 PM. The whole city was illuminated for Dussera celebrations.
We reached home by 10:25 PM.

Here are the trip statistics.

Total Distance - 635 KMs
Mileage - 14 Km/Litre (with AC on 40% of the time)
Fuel USed - Shell Super Unleaded and HP Normal petrol + System G

The trip sheet

Name:  Trip Sheet.jpg
Views: 5163
Size:  83.7 KB
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 15:25   #2
BHPian

How was the weather there?
Is it raining or normal? What about leeches?
I think this season is of leeches.
Resort guys normally keeps some natural pesticides and other methods to keep them away.But ,how was the scene outside?
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 15:49   #3
BHPian

Hi Pramod

Nice travelogue. Please send me a link to the resort or contact details. Also, how would you rate the resort in terms of cleanliness, service and food.

Cheers
Subs
subs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 10:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your comments.

The link to the resort is

Wayanad Resorts, Hotels in Wayanad, Wayanad Homestay, Wayanad Resorts Kerala - Tropical ForRest

Small Correction in my earlier post - The name of the resort is Tropical ForRest and not Tropical RainForRest. Sorry for the mistake.

The weather was nice. Cooler than Bangalore. There were leaches. The resort people advised us not to walk in grass. It did not bother us much.
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:52   #5
BANNED

Pramod - Sounds like you had a good time. I was in Wayanad the next w/e, was staying in Pepper Green.. Fellow BHPian RajAchu was also there.. Didn't know the roads through Muthanga has become bad to trap a Civic, we took the Kaattikulam-Toalpetty-Hunsur-Sreerangapattnam route, was excellent.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:31   #6
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see many father's taking their kids on such drives from young. It builds a stronger bond when parents spend more time right from young age with the kids. Is the log over or are there more photos?
Good trip you had there. Hope you have many more such trips and post more such logs.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:41   #7
BHPian

Nice travelogue Pramod and a detailed trip sheet to go with it ! How about posting a few more pictures ?
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 10:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your comments.

As I mentioned in my first post, our intention was not sightseeing. We wanted to spend some quality time together. So I do not have too many pictures. I usually keep a trip log in all our trips (thanks to my wife). Our next trip is on this Saturday to Trivandrum.

There was a big pothole covered with water near Muthanga. I think the car got trapped due to the driver's fault. I had passed that way the previous day.
Old 25th October 2010, 22:10   #9
BHPian

What time are you starting for Trivandrum? I too will be on the same route, starting at 4 am in morning.

Do you know any good place in Salem which serves nice breakfast?
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 15:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
What time are you starting for Trivandrum? I too will be on the same route, starting at 4 am in morning.

Do you know any good place in Salem which serves nice breakfast?
I will be starting by 5:00 AM in the morning from Kundalahalli.

I have had break fast couple of times in Hotel Apoorva, Salem.
This is located at the circle where NH47 and NH 7 meet (not the new flyover). It is on the right side when going from Bangalore.
Old 31st October 2010, 00:07   #11
BHPian

Nice crisp and concise travelogue. We are also planning a trip to Wayanad, staying in Annapara resort next weekend. Three cars, Qualis, Endeavour and Fortuner, 10 people, two dogs. Should be fun
modthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 01:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Pramod - Sounds like you had a good time. I was in Wayanad the next w/e, was staying in Pepper Green.. Fellow BHPian RajAchu was also there.. Didn't know the roads through Muthanga has become bad to trap a Civic, we took the Kaattikulam-Toalpetty-Hunsur-Sreerangapattnam route, was excellent.
Did you travel via Kutta-Nagarahole ? How's the road from Kartikulam to Kutta ? Is it fully repaired now ? (That stretch was supposed to have been pretty bad till quite recently).
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 07:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Thanks for the write up. I am quite fascinated by the way you compiled the time and distance. Is there a tool you use on your phone/GPS? Remembering all those time stamps could take a lot of brain power (and in my case distract from enjoying the holiday) :-)

Quote:
Didn't know the roads through Muthanga has become bad to trap a Civic
A City.

BH.
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 10:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Thanks for the write up. I am quite fascinated by the way you compiled the time and distance. Is there a tool you use on your phone/GPS? Remembering all those time stamps could take a lot of brain power (and in my case distract from enjoying the holiday) :-)

A City.

BH.
Thanks a lot. We don't use any tool to note the distance and time. My wife writes them in a notepad. We use this for future reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Did you travel via Kutta-Nagarahole ? How's the road from Kartikulam to Kutta ? Is it fully repaired now ? (That stretch was supposed to have been pretty bad till quite recently).
We took the Sultan Bathery route. Please check my trip sheet. This is the best route to Wayanad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthomas View Post
Nice crisp and concise travelogue. We are also planning a trip to Wayanad, staying in Annapara resort next weekend. Three cars, Qualis, Endeavour and Fortuner, 10 people, two dogs. Should be fun
Thanks for your comment. Enjoy your trip.
Old 3rd November 2010, 00:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
we took the Kaattikulam-Toalpetty-Hunsur-Sreerangapattnam route, was excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
We took the Sultan Bathery route. Please check my trip sheet. This is the best route to Wayanad.
Actually my query was directed at Gadadhar who appeared to have driven via Kattikkulam-Tholpetty-Hunsur (presumably through Kutta).

I'm very familiar with the Bathery route since I drive to Kalpetta at least once (sometimes twice) every month and generally take that route. Just wanted to keep track of how good the other alternatives routes are.

Just got back today from one of these Wayanad trips and found that the stretch from Kerala border to Bathery has deteriorated considerably in the rains. One particular portion just after Ponkuzhi (before Muthanga when you're travelling from Bangalore) has a huge crater that covers the entire width of the road and is totally filled with water, so you don't know how deep it is till you get into it.

Want to try the Hunsur-Nagarahole route as well as the HD Kote-Bavali routes on my trips next month, just in case they are better. Will update here on the conditions when I travel.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote